HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

JVR's Commitment to the offseason

Old
06-01-2011, 01:46 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord View Post
I can't stand most members of the media and have no problem if Carter/Richards or anybody else doesn't like or want to talk to them. If everytime I spoke with someone after a good/bad day of work got turned around, over analyzed and such, I wouldn't want to talk with them either. I can't believe this is an issue.

I just want a stanley cup. That's all, I don't care if Richards walks into the locker room and punched one of the beat writers in the face everytime as long as they are working their hardest towards winning a stanley cup.
When you get swept and haven't won a cup in 36 years people want to get some reflection and answers. Again, everybody has to act responsibly about it all ..that is really the issue. The media shouldn't insinuate personal digs and players shouldn't use it as a crutch to totally blow off the media. If some fans like prepackaged points of view from player's personal blogs and tweets then that is their prerogative. I personally don't have this bias that other people have against the media. Media to me plays an important role but yes they need to do it with integrity and not be management's stenographers or mouthpiece or make up stories.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 01:48 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
When you get swept and haven't won a cup in 36 years people want to get some reflection and answers. Again, everybody has to act responsibly about it all ..that is really the issue. The media shouldn't insinuate personal digs and players shouldn't use it as a crutch to totally blow off the media. If some fans like prepackaged points of view from player's personal blogs and tweets then that is their prerogative. I personally don't have this bias that other people have for the media. Media to me plays an important role but yes they need to do it with integrity and not be management's stenographers or mouthpiece or make up stories.
I don't have a bias towards the media, I have a bias towards this media. Panaccio and Carchidi (along with Eskin, Donnellon, Gonzalez, who don't watch hockey yet opine about it) have a track record of fail.

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 01:51 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I just don't like how the Philly media carries itself. Some of them are just muckrakers.
I think you are confusing muckrakers who actually expose truths with yellow journalism and sensationalism. Yes philly media has that aspect..not denying it but again players need to be more tactful with them and have fun with them like Pronger does although sometimes he's a bit much too. Anyway..this is Philly....players etc know this is the nature of Philly and actually when players come here or play here they say that Philly is a tough town b/c the fans are generally well-informed. I don't think I would like Philly to turn into Anaheim where everybody is well-behaved...

Old
06-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
I think you are confusing muckrakers who actually expose truths with yellow journalism and sensationalism. Yes philly media has that aspect..not denying it but again players need to be more tactful with them and have fun with them like Pronger does although sometimes he's a bit much too. Anyway..this is Philly....players etc know this is the nature of Philly and actually when players come here or play here they say that Philly is a tough town b/c the fans are generally well-informed. I don't think I would like Philly to turn into Anaheim where everybody is well-behaved...
There really is no way to be more tactful with these guys. They'll just keep doing their thing.

06-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Jester

Quote:
I would say that's true if you were talking about guys like Timmeh (who really should have gotten onto another beat to keep himself fresh years ago). Sam Carchidi, however, stepped in and proved himself to be a Grade A Moron in less than half a season.

There's a reason why we basically saw Richards go straight to FU mode with him so fast. Matters are not helped by the fact that Holmgren is a Grade A Moron when it comes to talking to the media... seems like every season he plants at least one land mine to blow up later. For example, he was the one that babbled about the drinking in a postseason interview prior to last year, and that's what eventually led to Richards getting infuriated with Carchidi.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 01:59 PM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Quote:
When you get swept and haven't won a cup in 36 years people want to get some reflection and answers. Again, everybody has to act responsibly about it all ..that is really the issue. The media shouldn't insinuate personal digs and players shouldn't use it as a crutch to totally blow off the media. If some fans like prepackaged points of view from player's personal blogs and tweets then that is their prerogative. I personally don't have this bias that other people have against the media. Media to me plays an important role but yes they need to do it with integrity and not be management's stenographers or mouthpiece or make up stories.
In a year's time, Richard went from being the next Clarke to a bad captain and should be traded. The philly media blows, I'd rather they blow them off. I don't think any of players are above criticism, but let's critisize them for stuff that actual matters on the ice. I'm tired of hearing about Richards and Carter's off-days and summer vacations. Who gives a ****. I really don't think that Carter spending time on the beach has anything to do with us not winning the cup.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 02:04 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
In a year's time, Richard went from being the next Clarke to a bad captain and should be traded. The philly media blows, I'd rather they blow them off. I don't think any of players are above criticism, but let's critisize them for stuff that actual matters on the ice. I'm tired of hearing about Richards and Carter's off-days and summer vacations. Who gives a ****. I really don't think that Carter spending time on the beach has anything to do with us not winning the cup.
I partially blame the Philly fan for not being more educated about matters, but then it becomes a game of chicken or the egg. The Philly media partially creates these fans that rely on halftruths and misunderstandings to create any reasonable opinions about the sports they follow.

What you get is a whole city of Cartsiephan*.

It sucks. I can't tell you how many friends of mine swear Carter is the cancer of the Flyers and that Richards should be stripped of the "C."

It's not too long before the media turns on Giroux and JVR. Give it 2-3 years.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Jester

The problem isn't this particular moment in time... it's the fact that the Philly media have poisoned the well of their relationship with the core of this team. They should have spent more time talking hockey, and less time lampooning them over going out and hanging out with women for cheap and easy articles.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 02:07 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Again the personal slights are used as a red herring and distraction by the media, players, management and blog pundits alike. It deflects from the real root of what we want to know and need to know like why you get swept and haven't won a cup or why you don't get a bonafide goalie. People need to see through this BS and yes we need everybody to act more responsibly and with integrity so we get at the root of issues. Sadly what we get is a bunch of BS info-tainment and people focus on that. It's ok and can be fun sometimes but not when we got issues to be addressed. I agree though lots of idiocy to weed through..it is frustrating but again it's Philly...it is what is is...

Old
06-01-2011, 02:08 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The problem isn't this particular moment in time... it's the fact that the Philly media have poisoned the well of their relationship with the core of this team. They should have spent more time talking hockey, and less time lampooning them over going out and hanging out with women for cheap and easy articles.
Sex sells. Thought does not.

The inherent problem is more about the society in which we live/human nature than it is about the morons picking fights with professional athletes out of spite.

Old
06-01-2011, 02:08 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
This is true..same with what Chris is saying and what I'm trying to get across. Don't fall into the red herring traps!

Old
06-01-2011, 02:10 PM
FlyerSithLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I partially blame the Philly fan for not being more educated about matters, but then it becomes a game of chicken or the egg. The Philly media partially creates these fans that rely on halftruths and misunderstandings to create any reasonable opinions about the sports they follow.
I've noticed, and this might be just me, that the philly fans who are bigger fans of the other teams in the city are almost all like this. Anybody I've come across since the end of the season who is a huge Phillies/Eagles fan and casually watches the Flyers has echoed the trade Carter, richards sucks mauntra. It really blows my mind.

Most of the Flyers fans that I know seem a bit more educated.

Old
06-01-2011, 02:14 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
How do you think the fans have become rather dull in knowing what's going on with the team?

This board has a relatively large fan following, but it's barely the tip of the iceberg with Flyers fans. And a lot of people here aren't even from the area, so they've been forced to look for other outlets for team info. But people who live in the area trust the newspaper. That's about as much blame you can place on them, and even that isn't entirely their fault.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 02:17 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Agreed. I've yet to see anyone press Homer on when he's getting a goalie or why he hasn't seen fit to do so. Or why he prefers to overpay goons and players who spend most of their time in the pressbox. But I've read a number of articles questioning Richards' leadership, commenting on his sullenness with the press, etc. as though that crap matters.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 02:19 PM
FlyerSithLord

Quote:
Again the personal slights are used as a red herring and distraction by the media, players, management and blog pundits alike. It deflects from the real root of what we want to know and need to know like why you get swept and haven't won a cup or why you don't get a bonafide goalie. People need to see through this BS and yes we need everybody to act more responsibly and with integrity so we get at the root of issues. Sadly what we get is a bunch of BS info-tainment and people focus on that. It's ok and can be fun sometimes but not when we got issues to be addressed. I agree though lots of idiocy to weed through..it is frustrating but again it's Philly...it is what is is...
I personally hate the media. The bloggers, pundits, TMZ, all of it. I hate this whole generation of everyone's business being fair game. The media's job should be to gather and report the news. Our media would rather run reports about how Richards is a bad captain or how Pronger and Giroux want to fight and stuff like that. That's not the root cause of anything. It's hearsay and ********. What I want to hear is stuff like, what the offseason plan could be and what not. Stick to the game.

Old
06-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
I've noticed, and this might be just me, that the philly fans who are bigger fans of the other teams in the city are almost all like this. Anybody I've come across since the end of the season who is a huge Phillies/Eagles fan and casually watches the Flyers has echoed the trade Carter, richards sucks mauntra. It really blows my mind.

Most of the Flyers fans that I know seem a bit more educated.
People in the area have way too much faith in sources like WIP and the Inquirer. Anyone who goes beyond (or avoids) those is generally at least somewhat rational. Hockey's a difficult sport to really know. You don't get everything explained at one of innumerable stops like football or baseball. I'd bet if coverage around here improved, so would the knowledge of the fans.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 02:23 PM
FlyerSithLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Agreed. I've yet to see anyone press Homer on when he's getting a goalie or why he hasn't seen fit to do so. Or why he prefers to overpay goons and players who spend most of their time in the pressbox. But I've read a number of articles questioning Richards' leadership, commenting on his sullenness with the press, etc. as though that crap matters.
Exactly, report what matters. Ask why we continually disregard the goaltending position or why was signing Shelley a major need?

Old
06-01-2011, 02:25 PM
FlyerSithLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
People in the area have way too much faith in sources like WIP and the Inquirer. Anyone who goes beyond (or avoids) those is generally at least somewhat rational. Hockey's a difficult sport to really know. You don't get everything explained at one of innumerable stops like football or baseball. I'd bet if coverage around here improved, so would the knowledge of the fans.
I agree. I've stopped listening to WIP and reading the local papers for any sort of hockey news or insight.

Old
06-01-2011, 02:26 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
I personally hate the media. The bloggers, pundits, TMZ, all of it. I hate this whole generation of everyone's business being fair game. The media's job should be to gather and report the news. Our media would rather run reports about how Richards is a bad captain or how Pronger and Giroux want to fight and stuff like that. That's not the root cause of anything. It's hearsay and ********. What I want to hear is stuff like, what the offseason plan could be and what not. Stick to the game.
And you know what's sad? Media defenders love to claim that the intervention of the internet and the access to communication is what slowly gave rise to the blogger and led to not only the death of print media but a complete devolution in "news" as we understood it back before the internet controlled our every day lives.

While that is partially the truth, the bigger aspect of it is that news (in particular sports news) has turned itself into a giant tabloid. I'm not saying all are guilty, but the vast majority are. ESPN I blame the most, and they are at the forefront of a revolution that is absolutely destroying credible journalism.

EDIT:

You want to know the scary reality?

HFBoards, as swayed and outrageous as some specific and isolated members are, is easily the most credible and unbiased source of hockey news on the planet as a collective. As individuals everyone here is flawed as anyone could guess, but as a whole we pretty much knock everything out of the park in terms of analysis, information, speculation, and timeliness.

Old
06-01-2011, 02:28 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Again what you are saying is not wrong but everybody is engaging in deflection from root issues in some way or another. The media does need to stick to reporting the news but the other side has to also allow for actual news to be reported. It's not a one way street and don't see it as such. I see irresponsibility on the part of players, management etc as well. Unfortunately all the obfuscation whether it is deliberate or not is damaging to those on the other end..the fans etc. Not everybody has critical thinking skills unfortunately and they love the Snooki-like info-tainment aspect that corporate media trots out there when they can't get a legit scoop whether it's because of their own incompetence, profit driven sensationalism, or the other side's intransigence and censorship...

Old
06-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Exactly, report what matters. Ask why we continually disregard the goaltending position or why was signing Shelley a major need?
Well, the Flyers have won 100% of the games Shelley has scored in. That's a hell of a stat. Totally worth it.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 02:33 PM
FlyerSithLord

Quote:
While that is partially the truth, the bigger aspect of it is that news (in particular sports news) has turned itself into a giant tabloid. I'm not saying all are guilty, but the vast majority are. ESPN I blame the most, and they are at the forefront of a revolution that is absolutely destroying credible journalism.
ESPN has really gone down hill. I was pretty sure they hit rock bottom when the aired 'The Decision' last summer.

Old
06-01-2011, 02:33 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
You sound like an absolute dumb ass right now. If thought didn't sell when it came to sports media, guys like Tom Verducci wouldn't have a job. And that's just one ****ing big example. Don't mind the tons of others who have established themselves without writing garbage.
See: Bill Meltzer.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 02:36 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Don't mind the tons of others who have established themselves without writing garbage.
Did I ever say that there weren't credible writers?

I have a lot of respect for Meltzer and San Filippo.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 06-01-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old
06-01-2011, 02:39 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
See: Bill Meltzer.
While Bill's POV is not exactly catechism he always offers up kernals of knowledge and cogent analysis. Very rare with bias IMO but nobody is perfect....would say he definitely is the master of "informed ignorance." By that I mean he doesn't know everything and nobody does but he doesn't speak without backing it up with sound reasoning and even facts. He's not a lazy journalist that is for sure...