HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"What the Sabres can learn from Canucks & Bruins"

Old
05-31-2011, 06:49 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy4Prez View Post
I stand by my opinion that 4.2 million dollars over 4 more years for #4-5 defenseman is silly, and not the type of player, contract or even partner for Myers that we should be looking to aquire.

I also stand by my opinion that Ballard is a slightly flashier version of Steve Montador: Same size, similar skillset, same proneness to WTF moments in the defensive zone, with Ballard the edge in the hitting department. Again, 4.2 million is much better spent on another player
Totally agree on Ballard. I'd rather 4.2M$ be spent on two bodies than on Ballard alone. Better options are available that'd probably be better investments for several reasons.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 07:15 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
The point of the article is that both teams have had success because they both have great top 6 defensive centers. Using this article to set up the premise that we need to get a 3rd line checking center , in your scenario Drury, makes no sense.

If anything this article points to idea that they're not using 3rd line checking centers for their success.
Whether they're on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd line, I took away the author's primary point as stressing that a shutdown center has been a huge key to each team's success. He points out that the Sabres don't have one. I agreed and endorsed Drury as one option for that role behind a scoring center and presumably Roy. If that's going too far off on a tangent, sorry...

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 10:58 PM
Sinter Klaas

vCash: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
A couple of things to copy from both teams -

- Retain your best players, regardless of how they were acquired
- Build a strong leadership group

- Be willing to make changes to the lineup, even big changes
- Be willing to make mistakes making changes to the lineup
Is it possible to send this post back in time to 2007 Darcy and Larry Quinn?

Sinter Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:45 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Home runs are hit in the offseason, not the trade deadline.

2010 Offseason:

Vancouver: Added Ballard, Hamhuis, and Malholtra (at a premium)
Boston: Horton, Campbell

Boston did quite a bit at the deadline, but their big move, Kaberle, has been far outshone by their depth moves of Peverley and Kelly

In fact, the last team to pull a big massive trade deadline move and have it work was Pittsburgh in 08 and that only got them to the SCF, not to the cup

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 09:00 AM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Another way to evaluate the merit of the WGR article argument is to debate the number of teams who do have quality shutdown centers yet don't make the Cup finals.

Lindy4Prez touches on this in a very similar argument in his post, with the salient argument it's 2-way, not shutdown, centers which are key.

To pile on to what Chain, others have said, Derek Roy IS a #1, 2-way center.

So, if BUF can't land Richards, can Darcy pry Staal from PIT ?

Is a younger Staal the better target than the older Richards?

Can BUF get both? It's not crazy to think that - Richards will only cost $, not the picks/prospects/players Staal would. TPeg / Sabres have both...

brian_griffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 04:03 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Whether they're on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd line, I took away the author's primary point as stressing that a shutdown center has been a huge key to each team's success. He points out that the Sabres don't have one. I agreed and endorsed Drury as one option for that role behind a scoring center and presumably Roy. If that's going too far off on a tangent, sorry...

The problem isn't that you're going too far off tangent its that you're missing the point. To a certain extent so if the writer.

The reason guys like Kesler and Bergeron have such an impact is because they're NOT simply 3rd line checking centers or "shutdown" centers. They are two way centers that contribute in all areas (PP, PK, defensively at ES, offensively at ES). As such they have an impact well beyond that of a 3rd line checking center. For example, Kesler's offense was a huge factor in the Nashville series that helped carry them past the Preds while the Sedins were struggling to produce. Drury, at this point in his career, isn't going to bring that type of dynamic to the team.

Last edited by joshjull: 06-01-2011 at 04:53 PM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote