HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derek Boogaard • 1982 - 2011

Old
05-22-2011, 12:16 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
I know this isnt PC but why did Dumbass Sather sign a Free Agent who is addicted to Painkillers?
Yea when Boogs was actually in the Substance Abuse Program it was covered up by what was deemed to be a concussion by the Minnesota Wild.

I don't think Sather had any idea.

05-22-2011, 12:20 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i dont drink anything but water and soda if im sleepy. i dont drink alcohol, never have, so im good there :-D

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 01:26 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Hey, remember when Larry Brooks was being trashed for "speculating" about this?
Hey remember when this thread was about the tragic death of Derek Boogaard?

Quote:
Funny, I thought it was pretty pathetic that in the wake of someone's tragic death, people felt the need to posit theories regarding Brooks that were completely off-base; insulting a man for doing his job. I'm not shocked that you don't understand why it's important to generate a discussion on comments that are baseless. If it was up to you, every thread here would be filled with similar remarks in every post.

Why should anyone stand up for Larry Brooks? If some attack him, all must attack him!

Take a second to think, and you might see that it's not about "playing gotcha," but rather, about pointing out the fact that a person's reputation and character were under attack for no reason. Perhaps reminding people that, of course, Brooks was right all along, it might spur them to re-think such empty efforts in the future.
Hey remember when this thread was about the tragic death of Derek Boogaard and NOT you?

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 05:35 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun

Quote:
BOOGAARD WAS NOT A HERO
Can we please stop with the Derek Boogaard hero worship?
Yes, he was apparently a fine fellow, it not a tortured one.
But ostensibly, he died of a drug overdose for something well known on the streets as Hillbilly Heroin. He combined painkillers and booze, something addicts do regularly to get a buzz on. There is nothing heroic about that. You may want to term that accidental? Thatís your call.
But as the brother of someone who lost his life to heroin, I donít see it the same way. Clearly, Boogaard had an illness of some kind, a trouble with addiction.
For that, I sympathize.
But the addict heroes, in my world, are the ones who find a way to reform themselves, and donít waste or lose their lives in pills, syringes and alcohol, all in the name of the getting high.
http://www.torontosun.com/2011/05/21...thrashers-move

Did Doug Risebrough know about Boogaard's issues? Risebrough was the Wild GM from the inception to 2009. Boogaard was in that organization for all of Risebrough's tenure except 2009-10. Then the Rangers signed Boogaard. Risebrough has been a Rangers consultant since getting fired in Minnesota.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 06:45 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Slap Shots has learned management essentially staged an intervention with Boogaard at the club's practice rink in late March that resulted in the 28-year-old's re-entry into the NHL/NHLPA Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health Program.

The Rangers did what they could. The physicians and counselors in the program did what they could.

There is no need to point fingers.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1N4pQk7Lu

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post

Hey remember when this thread was about the tragic death of Derek Boogaard and NOT you?
You make the point better than I Viper.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 02:07 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Yeah, that was right before a bunch of people turned it into a thread about bashing Larry Brooks for doing his job.

Quote:
Please, I urge you, explain to me how I turned this into a thread about myself. I can't wait for this. If this thread was about me, then that can only be attributed to the poster who preceded you in launching a personal attack towards me for sharing an opinion regarding Larry Brooks that didn't jive with his. Hey, maybe before you post things that are clearly aimed at insulting other people, you might take the time to actually read people's posts. But don't worry, from now one, every single time I see you make a post where you provide a contrarion opinion (which is what I did here), I'm going to be right there to remind you of how you're turning the attention of the thread onto yourself. That's how your warped sense of logic works, right? Does that also mean that, since the post you quoted was a response toward someone attacking me personally, that you feel posters should never respond to any post that is aimed at attacking them?

Where do you get the gall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
You make the point better than I Viper.
Did you have a point, other than attacking me personally for defending Larry Brooks?

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 03:12 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Yeah, that was right before a bunch of people turned it into a thread about bashing Larry Brooks for doing his job.

Please, I urge you, explain to me how I turned this into a thread about myself. I can't wait for this. If this thread was about me, then that can only be attributed to the poster who preceded you in launching a personal attack towards me for sharing an opinion regarding Larry Brooks that didn't jive with his. Hey, maybe before you post things that are clearly aimed at insulting other people, you might take the time to actually read people's posts. But don't worry, from now one, every single time I see you make a post where you provide a contrarion opinion (which is what I did here), I'm going to be right there to remind you of how you're turning the attention of the thread onto yourself. That's how your warped sense of logic works, right? Does that also mean that, since the post you quoted was a response toward someone attacking me personally, that you feel posters should never respond to any post that is aimed at attacking them?

Did you have a point, other than attacking me personally for defending Larry Brooks?
Years ago a good friend of mine died in a terrible car accident. Her brother was my best childhood friend and on a side note it also happenned that my gf at the time was also best friends with her so I grew up with this girl. When she died there was for whatever reason a news crew outside the funeral parlour where people were paying their last respects. They mistakenly asked my ex for comment and she flipped out at them and their journalism. Two were sad one looked detached and flippant yet they all kept their mouths shut because they had the decency and common basic human understanding to realize people might overreact or react strongly when faced with death.

I think you should stop crying about journalism whether people are right or wrong about Brooks b/c it's really not important here. Really it's a case of people crying over a guys death and overreacting or guys crying and overreacting b/c people are cursing about brooks. Sounds to me like one group's a little off. Some people in this thread called Brooks an a**hole. Who cares? Just stop.

You want people to tell you why you're wrong in a thread about someone's death and then you wonder why people think you are calling attention to yourself? If some people feel that what brooks reported was lacking some integrity than why argue with them? They're obviously upset about something way more important. To bust balls about brooks when people are clearly being influenced by something much greater than that...

Same for inferno he got basically attacked b/c he said the wrong thing here. If people seem like they're overreacting to a death...well it's death it's just not wise to call them out for it or question them on it. No boog's death didn't "punch me in the gut" but I do get why it would have that affect on others and would never frustrate them and argue with them about it or their reaction.

Last edited by JimmyStart*: 05-22-2011 at 03:17 PM.
JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 03:19 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I agree with Sting here. Larry Brooks reported something that turned out to be completely relevant. Horrible for Boogaard and his family but it has a lot to do with the organization too. That's the gist of it and you can't blame Larry Brooks for revealing something that was hidden from apparently the Rangers organization themselves (from what i'm reading.)

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 03:41 PM
OverTheCap

Didn't RangerBoy infer earlier in this thread that Sather has been willing to take a chance on players with substance abuse issues? Fleury, MacTavish, etc. It wouldn't shock me if Sather or Riesbrough knew about Boogaard's problems. If the organization knew, I can respect their willingness to help out individuals who have battled addiction. But is that a good thing when trying to build a team? Not necessarily, as it can be a distraction and the player may have to miss time during the season to clean himself up like Fleury or Boogaard.

As for Simmons' piece, that's pretty disgusting. No one is trying to portray Boogaard as a hero; it was a tragic loss and many would like to remember the positive aspects of his life as opposed to the fact that he had substance abuse problems, which only came out after his death. Sounds like Simmons still has some resentment towards his dead brother and is trying to project those feelings onto Boogaard, sickening.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Pizza

Quote:

Sting, It's a waste of time to attack people on a chat board. I'll just point out that you seem a bit self absorbed.

It is very sad that this guy could not conquer his demons. His family and his friends lost someone who genuinely wanted to contribute to a common good.

As someone who has lost family members under difficult circumstances, I know how it feels to have people talking about matters that you would rather see left more private than public.

I'm done with this topic and this thread.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 10:00 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i dont drink anything but water and soda if im sleepy. i dont drink alcohol, never have, so im good there :-D
I am profoundly sorry for you.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 10:51 PM
ocarina

I don't mean to take this too off-topic, but there was nothing wrong with what Brooks wrote (and this is coming from someone who doesn't like him). He was reporting relevant information on a subject that people want to know more about. If he knew this information and didn't report it, he'd be a terrible journalist for it.

I understand the emotions involved with what is a very tragic death, but that shouldn't stop a journalist from reporting information that could potentially be very revealing.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 11:16 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
I don't mean to take this too off-topic, but there was nothing wrong with what Brooks wrote (and this is coming from someone who doesn't like him). He was reporting relevant information on a subject that people want to know more about. If he knew this information and didn't report it, he'd be a terrible journalist for it.

I understand the emotions involved with what is a very tragic death, but that shouldn't stop a journalist from reporting information that could potentially be very revealing.
Agreed.

This is a very emotional time and all NYR/Wild fans have been affected by Derek's untimely death, even if they don't pour their guts out about it. We all have our ways of coping. But that shouldnt prevent journalists from doing their job. He had info on the matter and reported it, I'm still not sure why some think its bad journalism, but I understand the emotion behind it.

I never once thought any poster in this thread was making it about themselves, its just very frustrating to deal with people on here when ALL they are bringing to the table is emotion. I'm guilty of it at times too and I've also seen/read it all on these boards, so this is nothing new, though tragic in it's own way.

Somehow we have to remember at times like this there will be one or two posts that don't sit right with us because of the subject matter. Opinions vary on every subject brought up here, this is just very sensitive, we should all be able to realize no one is looking to take advantage of what happened here. But facts is, the info was available and a journalist reported it. I would not have liked it if TMZ reported this is a 'hot scoop', but it came from a hockey reporter who has inside knowledge.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 02:12 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I am profoundly sorry for you.

i had a brain aneurysm when i was 20, i dont want to tempt fate

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 02:44 AM
slipknottin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
This is pure speculation but I think it's likely Derek was prescribed the painkillers for his multitude of injuries and became hooked on them. Something that millions of americans struggle with every day.
its pretty much guaranteed that he was prescribed them at some point.

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 03:21 AM
Blazephr

I also dealt with something VERY similar to Boogaard. In 2001, I was involved in a construction accident on a high-rise in the city. I had bulging and herniated disc(s). Hurt my back real bad. Along with physical therapy, I was also sent to a pain management doctor. He prescribed Vicodin to me. I was not familiar with Vicodin. Up until that point I had never taken a painkiller. There was no attempt to educate me about the prescribed medicine, which happens to contain of all things, opiates. Which is also what heroin is made of. I did not learn all of this until a year later when I decided I did not need the medicine anymore & stopped taking them abruptly. Boy, did I ever receive a rude awakening. From there,I started a 5 - 6 year journey to hell and back. I've been off them for almost 5 years now & it is bar-none one the most difficult periods of my life. Thankfully, I'm one of the lucky ones. Like The Boogeyman...not everyone survives such addiction as powerful as prescription pain meds. And from what I gather, Oxy is way more potent than Vicodin. If it wasn't for the full support of my family during those dark times, I wouldn't be where I am today.

Last edited by Blazephr: 05-23-2011 at 03:33 AM.
Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 07:10 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post

i had a brain aneurysm when i was 20, i dont want to tempt fate
Wear it like a badge of honor brotha!!!

Mine was a golf ball sized tumor at 32

Yeah we know what headpain & dizziness is like.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 07:23 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
OK, everyone got their shots in at each other? Everyone had a turn on the high horse? Good, then we're done.

Take this back on topic. We won't close it, just remove people from the thread.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 02:58 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Really good article on Boogaard, would definitely recommend that everyone read it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/story?id=6598296

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 03:16 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Really good article on Boogaard, would definitely recommend that everyone read it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/story?id=6598296
If I saw him in the streets I would've recognized him

That one was gut-wrenching, made it seem like he was all alone in NY...

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 03:32 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
What a sad story. Jesus, I feel awful all over again.

And if anyone has any doubts as to how severely a concussion can affect a person, read that story.

Just terrible.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 01:34 PM
NYR 9

Nicely done article letting us know the dark side of an enforcer's life off the ice. RIP Boog.

Last edited by NYR 9: 06-07-2011 at 11:53 AM.
NYR 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Emptyvoid

Hypothetical question. Lets say the Rangers win a stanley cup in the next 3 years. Could they, if they wanted to or if it was allowed, to have Boogard's name engraved as well?

Has this type of thing been done before?

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 11:41 AM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
Hypothetical question. Lets say the Rangers win a stanley cup in the next 3 years. Could they, if they wanted to or if it was allowed, to have Boogard's name engraved as well?

Has this type of thing been done before?

what? why? i dont get it...

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote