HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Decent street hockey sticks?

Old
05-28-2011, 12:05 PM
wsoxfan1214

vCash: 500
Decent street hockey sticks?

Hey, does anyone know of any good street hockey sticks that're out on the market, either online or at retailers? I always buy regular hockey sticks, but the blades get worn down and torn up pretty easily, and I'm getting tired of throwing $80-100 at a stick every two months.

Right now, I'm using a Reebok 5K with snake grip and a Pavel Datsyuk curve on it. LH and 85 flex. $90 and it's already torn up within 3 months.

So.. Anyone know of any? The Koho Revolution one I tried using was a horrible stick, and that's about the only one I can find around here.

Thanks in advance.

wsoxfan1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 12:10 PM
mbeam

Get a cheap two piece setup and stick to ABS blades. They wear smoothly and evenly and you can always just spend $20 to replace the blade instead of the whole stick.

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 02:04 PM
AIREAYE

Never use OPS(composite) or even regular wood sticks for street hockey. Keep to sticks with an ABS blade, whether that be a 2-piece as mentioned above (more expensive but the shaft will last forever and you just keep replacing blades) or wood sticks with an ABS blade

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 02:18 PM
Thepandamancan

Not sure if Reebok still makes the 2K, but I used that at first and it was alright for some street/ball hockey. It's got an ABS blade, but the wood shaft made it pretty heavy.

But like the others said, a good, strong shaft and ABS blades are the way to go.

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 03:26 PM
noobman

Anything with an ABS or "injected" blade will suffice. It is a hard type of plastic that takes a long time to wear out, and is perfect for ball/street hockey.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 08:57 PM
Flicktron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyledude92107 View Post
Hey, does anyone know of any good street hockey sticks that're out on the market, either online or at retailers? I always buy regular hockey sticks, but the blades get worn down and torn up pretty easily, and I'm getting tired of throwing $80-100 at a stick every two months.

Right now, I'm using a Reebok 5K with snake grip and a Pavel Datsyuk curve on it. LH and 85 flex. $90 and it's already torn up within 3 months.

So.. Anyone know of any? The Koho Revolution one I tried using was a horrible stick, and that's about the only one I can find around here.

Thanks in advance.
This isn't going to help, but wow. I used to use a regular wood stick, bought for $10, and it lasted over 8 months. It has the fiberglass on the bottom. It works well, and it doesn't really stick to the road (as much as it can).

Flicktron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 09:38 PM
SenzZen

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 08:22 AM
Devil Dancer

I use a One95 shaft with ABS blades. Works great.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 09:07 AM
GLG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post

man I miss TITAN sticks

GLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 11:59 AM
Bexlyspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLG View Post
man I miss TITAN sticks
Titan made the best sticks for street hockey when i was a kid (early-Mid 80's)
for 10 bucks we used to get either the blue (Gretzky), The Red (Bossy) or the Black (Mario), they had a bear on the blade and seemed to last forever!

now i just buy anything i can find with an ABS blade

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:13 AM
wsoxfan1214

Alright, thanks guys.

And dumb question, but I've always bought one-piece sticks, so... How long should the shaft be (without the blade on it) exactly? I'm about 6 ft tall.

wsoxfan1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:52 AM
Fly Like a C5

Buy a Senior length shaft. Put a blade in it. If needed you can shorten the shaft by cutting down the wooden end plug just like on a one piece stick.

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 12:01 PM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
I have an Easton Yzerman shaft with a CCM Thornton curved blade. Shaft is beat up but the blade is fine.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:15 PM
pman25

I used to play ice, but now i play outdoor roller hockey and I use my old ice hockey shaft (Easton zbubble) with the easton synergy abs blade. Works just fine and will last a while. I got the blade off hockeymonkey, just $17.99 but with $11.98 shipping. So i recommend buying more stuff if you plan on going to hockeymonkey, since shipping is high, might as well buy whatever else you need like a shaft or other equipment. Just get ABS blade and you should be good

I highly recommend buying a shaft and blade. It's a worthy investment. Continuing to buy $15 to $20 one piece street sticks adds up

pman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:30 PM
SuicideKings15

Bauer used to have a great road hockey stick; The Vapor X-Street.

Sold for about $20 at Canadian Tire, lasts more than a summer.

SuicideKings15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Didn't really want to create a new thread for this noob question so I thought I would ask here.

I read people in here suggesting that a shaft/ABS blade combo would work best for roller hockey so I had a few basic questions.

I'm a little guy at 5'7 off skates so no matter what stick I buy I need to cut down which will increase the flex if my understanding is correct. So I was wondering, should I buy an intermediate flex that way when I cut it down the flex wont be like 100? Is a junior stick too small for me flex wise? I'm 165 lbs, with decent strength so I doubt I could break one anyhow.

Also, do the ABS blades fit all shafts?

Last but not least, any suggestions on shafts? Not really looking to spend more than $60-70 bucks on a shaft.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 05:16 PM
AIREAYE

If you're using ABS for street hockey, flex should be the least of your concerns.

No ABS blades are standard, meaning they fit only standard or traditional (tapered) shafts; however You can put an ABS blade into the handle-end of most OPS if they're broken.

No need to go high end on shafts; waste of money and the lighter weight makes the setup uncomfortably blade-heavy. In that range try the One30, S5, any standard shaft on closeout, X:20 etcetc

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 10:21 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by karacter View Post
Didn't really want to create a new thread for this noob question so I thought I would ask here.

I read people in here suggesting that a shaft/ABS blade combo would work best for roller hockey so I had a few basic questions.

I'm a little guy at 5'7 off skates so no matter what stick I buy I need to cut down which will increase the flex if my understanding is correct. So I was wondering, should I buy an intermediate flex that way when I cut it down the flex wont be like 100? Is a junior stick too small for me flex wise? I'm 165 lbs, with decent strength so I doubt I could break one anyhow.

Also, do the ABS blades fit all shafts?

Last but not least, any suggestions on shafts? Not really looking to spend more than $60-70 bucks on a shaft.
Are you talking about roller hockey played with a ball on a rough surface or a smooth surface with a puck?

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 01:07 AM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by budster View Post
Are you talking about roller hockey played with a ball on a rough surface or a smooth surface with a puck?
Both, but primarily a smoother surface with a puck.

Old
06-02-2011, 02:27 AM
God
Free Citizen

http://www.streethockeyking.com/kore250sthos1.html

These are the best sticks I've ever used in road hockey. I remember getting them at zellers for 5 bucks each, what a steal. They don't have them anymore, though. And the price on that site is ridiculous.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 03:37 AM
markisonfire

http://www.discounthockey.com/reebok...ck-3-pack.html

Downgrade to the 2k. Same curve, but it is made of wood. The blade is ABS plastic, I believe. That or something like the Koho 2100.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 04:11 AM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

What I am wondering is if the Reebok, Bauer, and Easton sticks are all compatible with an ABS blade.

For example, my personal favorite which I tried through a friend is the Reebok 6k, which says it fits standard blades, so that would mean ABS blades right? Next of my favorites are the totalONE30 and the X:20 which I assume also both fit an ABS blade.

Old
06-02-2011, 11:55 PM
silkyjohnson50

Quote:
Originally Posted by karacter View Post
What I am wondering is if the Reebok, Bauer, and Easton sticks are all compatible with an ABS blade.

For example, my personal favorite which I tried through a friend is the Reebok 6k, which says it fits standard blades, so that would mean ABS blades right? Next of my favorites are the totalONE30 and the X:20 which I assume also both fit an ABS blade.
I have a X:60 and a Dolomite shaft that i now use for roller. I've used several different ABS blades in them (CCM, Easton, Koho, Franklin). Even if the blades don't originally fit, they can easily be shaved down to fit. So if you have a shaft that you really like, the blade can most likely be altered to fit.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 11:14 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd pick up a used Easton Ultra Lite or Z Bubble shaft and put a Montreal M95 blade in it. Wood/ABS hybrid, super stiff, works great for ice or dryland.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 12:18 PM
mbeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
I have a X:60 and a Dolomite shaft that i now use for roller. I've used several different ABS blades in them (CCM, Easton, Koho, Franklin). Even if the blades don't originally fit, they can easily be shaved down to fit. So if you have a shaft that you really like, the blade can most likely be altered to fit.
It's true. If the shaft is tapered, you can shave the butt of the blade, if the shaft is not tapered and the blade is, you can wrap some tape around it tightly to make it bigger. But the better option is just making sure you buy a blade that fits the type of shaft. Tapered for tapered and non for non.

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote