HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > All other USA Amateur, USHL, NAHL, USNTDP etc.

Ijhl

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-01-2011, 09:13 PM
  #1
novascotia
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2
vCash: 500
Ijhl

Heading to New York to play in the IJHL this year and wondering what the level of play is like and any other information or thoughts you might have on the league.

novascotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 03:11 PM
  #2
billycanuck
Registered User
 
billycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by novascotia View Post
Heading to New York to play in the IJHL this year and wondering what the level of play is like and any other information or thoughts you might have on the league.
Don't waste your money. The level of play is not strong at all, there is a reason why players pay to play in a independent league... because they cannot make a Tier 3 Jr.A team.

There are some threads on here about the IJHL, I suggest reading them. Also, do some research on the internet. The league has had some off ice issues. Parents and players have a lot of complaints about this league.

Seriously, stay in Canada. You are better off playing Jr.B, and contact NCAA schools on your own. You will get interest.


Last edited by billycanuck: 06-02-2011 at 03:31 PM. Reason: add info
billycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 09:26 PM
  #3
GrizzWinter31
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New England
Country: United States
Posts: 12
vCash: 500
Some teams in the league are very corrupt. I have heard some horror stories.
But if you stand out you could open some doors for yourself.
Just be prepared for lazy teammates and stupid organizations.

GrizzWinter31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 05:40 AM
  #4
novascotia
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2
vCash: 500
in every league you will find teams that are sloppy running their operation. Having 4-6 Showcase tournament should help with opportunities. Every dealing with managment so far has been on the up and up and looks like many more players are trying the IJHL as a route to get noticed. Philly has a kid from Bedford and one From Dartmouth, both quality players. Heading down as an 18 year old , going to School and on the ice 6 times a week , living with a billett family and being away from home for the first time is also a life experience. Time will tell , and i'm sure i will post updates on our family experience but as of now , there is excitement at the opportunities. like was mentioned if you go and you play really well you may get noticed and thats what we are hoping. Maybe next year , it will be free. How many familiies pay 6-8 grand every year for kids to play major midget and none get drafted and end up playing junior b or c at home. Its all about opening doors

novascotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 02:25 PM
  #5
billycanuck
Registered User
 
billycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by novascotia View Post
in every league you will find teams that are sloppy running their operation. Having 4-6 Showcase tournament should help with opportunities. Every dealing with managment so far has been on the up and up and looks like many more players are trying the IJHL as a route to get noticed. Philly has a kid from Bedford and one From Dartmouth, both quality players. Heading down as an 18 year old , going to School and on the ice 6 times a week , living with a billett family and being away from home for the first time is also a life experience. Time will tell , and i'm sure i will post updates on our family experience but as of now , there is excitement at the opportunities. like was mentioned if you go and you play really well you may get noticed and thats what we are hoping. Maybe next year , it will be free. How many familiies pay 6-8 grand every year for kids to play major midget and none get drafted and end up playing junior b or c at home. Its all about opening doors
You know you can do that in Canada too right? Every province has great junior leagues where you don't have pay a lot to play and can have a better experience.

The IJHL has a very poor reputation in the hockey circles in the US and that translates to what teams do recruiting in the league; low level D3.... at the best.

Questionable "College commitments" also. Having a hard time finding some of the players listed as actually playing college hockey after IJHL. Or how about this guy:
Shayne Taker, apparently he was a 2010 committment to Notre Dame after playing for the New England Stars IJHL team, when in fact he played in the BCHL with Cowichan Capitals for two seasons, then when to the University of Notre Dame.

Or how about Nikita Rozkov from the Cape Cod Cubs. Apparently he went to Northeastern University, yet can't find him anywhere on the hockey roster.

And then there is Mike Borge from the Cape Cod Cubs who committed to Brown University. Played 12 games this year, no points, but when you look at his Brown profile there is no mention of ANY IJHL team. Just mentions his Hotchkiss School experience:
http://www.brownbears.com/sports/m-h...ios/borge_mike
Quote:
Before Brown: Played for Brown alum Mike Traggio ’95 at for three years at the Hotchkiss School … Captained the team as a senior, earning team MVP honors … Helped to lead Hotchkiss to the 2009 Founders League Championship … Had back-to-back 30-point seasons as a junior and a senior … Posted 30 points (14g, 16a) in 25 games as a junior … Notched a career-high 33 points, tied for first on the team, with 14 goals and 19 assists in 21 games … Led Hotchkiss in power play goals … Also played lacrosse at Hotchkiss and golf while at Somerset High School.
If you want to get discovered and move up in your hockey career, then the IJHL is a poor choice. If you want to have an experience and see another place, then the IJHL is a great spot.


Last edited by billycanuck: 06-07-2011 at 02:34 PM.
billycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 06:38 PM
  #6
scotiahockey
Registered User
 
scotiahockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,080
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to scotiahockey Send a message via MSN to scotiahockey Send a message via Yahoo to scotiahockey Send a message via Skype™ to scotiahockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by billycanuck View Post
You know you can do that in Canada too right? Every province has great junior leagues where you don't have pay a lot to play and can have a better experience.

The IJHL has a very poor reputation in the hockey circles in the US and that translates to what teams do recruiting in the league; low level D3.... at the best.

Questionable "College commitments" also. Having a hard time finding some of the players listed as actually playing college hockey after IJHL. Or how about this guy:
Shayne Taker, apparently he was a 2010 committment to Notre Dame after playing for the New England Stars IJHL team, when in fact he played in the BCHL with Cowichan Capitals for two seasons, then when to the University of Notre Dame.

Or how about Nikita Rozkov from the Cape Cod Cubs. Apparently he went to Northeastern University, yet can't find him anywhere on the hockey roster.

And then there is Mike Borge from the Cape Cod Cubs who committed to Brown University. Played 12 games this year, no points, but when you look at his Brown profile there is no mention of ANY IJHL team. Just mentions his Hotchkiss School experience:
http://www.brownbears.com/sports/m-h...ios/borge_mike


If you want to get discovered and move up in your hockey career, then the IJHL is a poor choice. If you want to have an experience and see another place, then the IJHL is a great spot.
I am not going to go on and on about whether the IJ is a good league or not, It is improving and gaining respectability every year.

Shayne Taker did play half a season with the NE stars, and Mike Borges, also played "a few" games with the Cape Cod Cubs, but was never a regular. Rozkov i do not know the entire story on, i THINK he had to go back to Russia because the Cape Cod Cubs owner at the time, who is no longer involved, botched his immigration somehow.

Taker was a great player the year he was here.

IJHL players have gone on to play at USM, SHNU, UMaine, before Springfield left the team, they had several players go on to lower D1, and good D3.

Point is taken about reputation, but there are good programs who teach hockey and work to get contacts for players in colleges. Trenton and the NE Stars in my opinion are the best coached, and both do a good job of pushing players to higher level juniors and colleges.

Most IJHL costs, to my knowledge are in the 5-6k tuition range, for 6-8 hours of practice ice a week and 2-3 games a weekend, totally 55+ games a year. Billets fees range from 400/month up to 500, and include room and board.

Total costs for a year to play in the IJHL including big macs and pizza shouldn't be more than 9-10k for everything.

I coached in the league for 5 years, and i am still in contact with many of the programs on a regular basis.

Do you homework and feel free to PM with any questions.

__________________
Bruins Talk Radio
Listen Here http://www.bruinstalkradio.com
Post game shows start 2.5 hours after the game start time.
scotiahockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.