HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Howard Berger Fired from FAN 590

Old
06-01-2011, 08:34 PM
New Liskeard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Ryder View Post
The point of radio shows is to get callers, and people reacting, it builds your revenue stream. These guys aren't idiots, they know what they're doing and they know that baiting a Leaf fan is one of the easiest things to do in the history of man kind. If I were to start a post that said Reimer is a fluke and after the shooters get a read on him, he will fade into obscurity like Vesa Toskala, Andrew Raycroft and Felix Potvin, then I will be yelled at by 99% of Leafs nation.

It's trolling because the station wants trolls, it's why Bobcat is so successful.
I thought you said you were looking for a career in the broadcasting industry, and have taken schooling to get there? Your comment proves otherwise. Either that or you are assuming and have not taken the time to listen to the programing.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Seavers View Post
That's what Toronto Sports Media is indicating:
http://torontosportsmedia.com/

Edit: Howard's farewell blog:
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Howar...-Years/3/36145
YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapcondition View Post
Hopefully we can hear more from Damien Cox now!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Lobstertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 08:58 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
I thought you said you were looking for a career in the broadcasting industry, and have taken schooling to get there? Your comment proves otherwise. Either that or you are assuming and have not taken the time to listen to the programing.
He is trolling, not any particular fan base, but he's a shock jock, he really is. He has controversial opinions to instigate fans, whether he truly believes a lot of what he's saying is open for debate, but he's definitely doing so to get a reaction. It only works for a handful of people and he's great at it. Everyone who came into school wanted to be the next Bobcat, but you have to work your ass off to get to that level. Dude is a legend.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 09:23 PM
william_adams

Sad to see anybody lose their job, but I have been critical of his style for years. I always viewed him as a sort of fanzine-type reporter - back in the pre-Internet days there was room for that. Not so much now.

And to all those who would like to see cox, Simmons, or even bob mccown follow, all three are much different cases. While all three share a similar sarcastic distain for leaf fans with Berger, that's all Berger had. Mccown has brains (like him or not, he is not a dumb guy), cox has sources, and Simmons can be downright funny.

Poor Howard, the era of the one-trick pony is over. Truly nice to see they allowed him to post that nice career retrospective blog yesterday though. I actually really enjoyed reading it.

william_adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 09:26 PM
ShortofBrillant

Quote:
He is trolling, not any particular fan base, but he's a shock jock, he really is. He has controversial opinions to instigate fans, whether he truly believes a lot of what he's saying is open for debate, but he's definitely doing so to get a reaction. It only works for a handful of people and he's great at it. Everyone who came into school wanted to be the next Bobcat, but you have to work your ass off to get to that level. Dude is a legend.
There is a huge difference between being an AH and being shocking/ controversial

ShortofBrillant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 09:29 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortofBrillant View Post
There is a huge difference between being an AH and being shocking/ controversial
If you asked Bob, he'd probably take being called an apple a compliment.

Old
06-01-2011, 09:40 PM
ShortofBrillant

Quote:
If you asked Bob, he'd probably take being called an apple a compliment.
and that just sums up the type of person he is.

Old
06-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
and that just sums up the type of person he is.
I have no problem with the man, just saying. You make a living getting a reaction and he does it to a T. I usually agree with a lot of what he says too. What a voice.

Old
06-01-2011, 09:49 PM
ShortofBrillant

Quote:
I have no problem with the man, just saying. You make a living getting a reaction and he does it to a T. I usually agree with a lot of what he says too. What a voice.
That is your prerogative. From my point of view he treats people badly to get a rise. It does not take a smart man to do that, just one without any morals or ethics. He can say he does it just for his livelihood, but the fact is, livelihood defines a lot about who a person really is deep down inside.

Old
06-01-2011, 10:02 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
I've heard Bob called many things, but certainlly not a shock jock. Difference is, his "opinions" are not unsubstantiated. The perception of Mcown being "controversial" is something that morphed into it's own. Bob has the persona of someone who is somewhat short and blunt, yet if you meet him, or just listen to his show you will realise it is all an act. He is one of the more well connected and inteligent media talents in Canada, and his "opinions" on sports and business in sports, is supported by his experience in sports, business, and personal relationships with people like Beeston, Cinnamon, Sukolowski and many many others. Hardly a shock jock.

Old
06-01-2011, 10:07 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
That is your prerogative. From my point of view he treats people badly to get a rise. It does not take a smart man to do that, just one without any morals or ethics. He can say he does it just for his livelihood, but the fact is, livelihood defines a lot about who a person really is deep down inside.

The unfortunate point he is not like that at all. I have had the opportunity to meet him 3 times, and he isn't like anything you are in belief of. Just to give you an idea, listen to Brunt with Mcown, you will hear Brunt often laugh at Mcown at his grumpy, short persona, full well knowing he is nothing of the sort. Bob is very respected in media circles.

Old
06-01-2011, 10:10 PM
LeafsGuru93
me & Dave Ellett

Quote:

links don't work

It's not how they died that made them heroes, it's how they lived, putting others safety 1st, each & every day. Thanks Toronto police for keeping us safe. -RIP Sgt. Ryan Russell, Const. Garrett Styles.
LeafsGuru93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 10:13 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
I've heard Bob called many things, but certainlly not a shock jock. Difference is, his "opinions" are not unsubstantiated. The perception of Mcown being "controversial" is something that morphed into it's own. Bob has the persona of someone who is somewhat short and blunt, yet if you meet him, or just listen to his show you will realise it is all an act. He is one of the more well connected and inteligent media talents in Canada, and his "opinions" on sports and business in sports, is supported by his experience in sports, business, and personal relationships with people like Beeston, Cinnamon, Sukolowski and many many others. Hardly a shock jock.

I know it's an act, he's got a schtick and it's to piss people off. He wouldn't be courted the way he is if he didn't mean everything to Fan590. He is the highest paid broadcaster in this country for a reason.

Old
06-01-2011, 10:25 PM
birddog*

Wonder if Berger's association with Eklund hurt him. It was about then he turned on the team and went downhill in a hurry. Before that he just seemed like the guy the followed the Leafs around and loved the team.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 10:49 PM
LeafsGuru93
me & Dave Ellett

Quote:

Links don't work. I'd like to read his blog.

Old
06-01-2011, 11:27 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

LOL Burke and Wilson must be loving it!

Hated Berger he got real overboard negative the last few years

Rockinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 06:59 AM
LeafsGuru93
me & Dave Ellett

I have a strong feelin he'll end up on AM640.

Old
06-02-2011, 08:40 AM
Landeskog

Poor Howie. Wonder who the Fan590 will replace him with to cover the Leafs?
Bobcat is king of the sport talk radio in Canada enough said. He does what he does well, very well. Andrew Krystal is always looking for away to get fans going. Greg Brady does/did the same in the 1-3 time slot. On the morning it's a little less and more targeted towards Jim Lang. Blair, who cares? I've never gotten into Blair all that much. Hockey Central is the 2nd flagship show. Once Howie joins 680 he'll be just down the hall from his 590 buddies.

But getting a Leafs fan to react to something said about the Leafs is not hard. Like last seasons playoff run was a complete Leafs-like ending. Riemer will lose his starting role to Gustavsson by mid-season. Scheen will not get a offer sheet from other teams because he is not good enough to get one. If you goal is to get all of Canada on your back then just tell them that Canada is not the best hockey country in the world and that *top ranked country by IIHF* is. Leafs fans will react to anything said about the Leafs as will Canadians when talking about hockey. Winnipeg having a NEW NHL team is only because of the short time line the league had to deal with. If the NHL had more time the team would have ended up in one of 5 other cities.

I feel that someone on the radio should be able to get me going and want to call in and state my point but also be infomational at the sametime. If the team or teams are playing bad I want them to tell that they are playing bad and this is way or this can be done ot fit it or call up the coach or manager and ask them what's going on? how can it be fixed? I don't want pretty bow-ties all over the place telling the team is going good when they still suck.

Landeskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 08:44 AM
Emroc

It's kind of a shame really, not that he got let go, but that he took what seemed to be a real talent for reporting on both print and radio and squandered it by taking pot-shots at Leafs fans, seemingly just to get more attention.

With his history of covering this team for all those years and the hockey knowledge that came along with it, you'd think he could just report on the team without all the running commentary about the sad state of the city, its unsuccessful sports franchises, and its idiotic fans that support those teams. I actually really enjoyed reading his work when he wasn't on a cynical rant.

At the end of the day, he didn't get fired because he pissed off Leaf fans, he just became expendable with some of the younger, cheaper talent available to cover the team. In fact, it was probably his anti-Leaf fan blogs that saved his job for a few extra months. Hits = ad revenue, which is the bottom line.

Emroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 08:50 AM
RogerRoeper*

The Fan has been letting go of a lot of people the last year or two. This isn't a surprise. They stopped sending him to road games with the Leafs, so there's less of a point to have him employed there anymore.

I also think Howard's blogs on eklund's site was a terrible idea. He was reduced to taunting Leaf fans like he was a 12 year-old Vancouver fan. Bad move on his part.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 09:19 AM
LeafsGuru93
me & Dave Ellett

I don't want him to be replaced by a guy we know from the station. I want a new face all together.

Old
06-02-2011, 10:16 AM
RogerRoeper*

I'll do the job for free.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 10:32 AM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

That station would fold if not for McCown.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 11:03 AM
robdicks

When people first started hating Berger I wasn't really quick to join in on it.I felt he was just trying to be Devils advocate, and I didn't really feel any reason to defend the Leafs no matter what happened, because I am pretty open minded and like to criticize them myself.

At this blog pst everything changed. I felt this is where he truly went off his rocker, and decided he was insulting fans, and not the team. That is where I lost respect for him as a journalist. In no way is the Leafs' terrible track record the fans' fault and that article made him look like a very stupid, and bitter man.

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 11:18 AM
LeafsGuru93
me & Dave Ellett

Can someone pm me what's written in his blog please, not just the link because it doesn't work for some reason. I click on the links & it says "Server not found" Same thing with Robdicks' link, it says "Server not found"

thanks.