HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Edmontons 2012 pick

Old
05-31-2011, 10:12 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Could have been?

If he was eligible this season, with the season he had, we would be penciling him beside Hall at RW and wondering what C prospect we could get for Omark.

He would blow away any other prospect in this draft and for once(and god forbid the Oilers catch a break) we would have an easy choice on who to take 1st overall.
Last year was an easy choice.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 10:31 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Last year was an easy choice.
Agreed, maybe easier would be the right wording?

Wasn't it Stu who said after the playoffs, in his mind he knew who it was he wanted all along?

Even before the playoffs started, if Yakupov was in this draft, we'd be wondering which number he would be wearing.

05-31-2011, 11:07 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 69
Quote:
Agreed, maybe easier would be the right wording?

Wasn't it Stu who said after the playoffs, in his mind he knew who it was he wanted all along?

Even before the playoffs started, if Yakupov was in this draft, we'd be wondering which number he would be wearing.
For sure. He has superstar written all over him.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:58 PM
OilersPride04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
I was about to say, Yakupov looks like a hybrid of Bure and Ovechkin.

Almost like a Bure that hits.

I don't care that he's 5'11", he plays like he's 6'6".

The guy very well could have been the #1 draft pick in the NHL this season if he were eligible. He's a sure thing. Can't really speak much about the other guys, but I saw a bit of the Yak this season, and he sure as hell didn't disappoint.
I think edmonton should try to draft ebbert, murphy, yakupov

OilersPride04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 12:34 AM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehta View Post
I also think Yakupov will and should be the first overall pick next year but unfortunately, I don't see us finishing last or picking first overall 3 years in a row. I wouldn't compare Yakupov to Bure, hes good, really good but Bure was on just a whole different level. Yakupov's playing style sort of reminds of Ovechkin. He has an amazing shot, he is fast, can protect the puck very well, is physical and scores a lot of goals. The one person I can see us realistically having a chance at getting is either Murray or Reinhart.
Out of curiousity, which teams do you expect to be worse than the Oilers next season?

speeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 12:43 AM
oilers92

vCash: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds View Post
Out of curiousity, which teams do you expect to be worse than the Oilers next season?
Ottawa
Colorado
Calgary-if kipper has an off year or iginla's play goes down with his aging body
Florida-might be close
Toronto-Reimer might not be the answer but he might also be who knows

oilers92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 02:18 AM
Ice Whole

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds View Post
Florida, Ottawa, St.Louis, Columbus and possibly Calgary, Minnesota(making a bold prediction with this one) & Toronto. IMO, Islanders and Oilers improve but not by much. Just enough to get out of the top 5 but still finish bottom 10.

Ice Whole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 02:27 AM
Perfect_Drug

I don't think there is a worse team than the Oilers.

You could say the Oilers will be a year older, but the same Argument could be said about Colorado and the Islanders, who's youth core has a couple of years on us, and poised to take the next step.

Calgary and Toronto made mad dashes to the playoffs and barely missed, they won't be in the lottery despite what some of you might pipe dream. Also wouldn't surprise me if one of them signed Richards.

Ottawa might go down, but I doubt it. They haven't fully committed to a rebuild quite yet. Florida has a chance to be worse than us, but even then I doubt it, due to their experience.

I really can't see us being any better, especially if Horcoff and Khabby decline even more (which should be a given at this point).

The only player I see on the verge of a breakout from last seasons performance is Hall. But even his improvements will likely not surpass the 30 goals we lost in Penner.

I REALLY believe that the Oilers need one more superstar to round out this crew. One more player that will turn us from being a merely 'good team', to a Perrennial cup favorite.

And here come the Optimist Primes to try and contradict me:

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 05:56 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

I'll repeat my "dangerous strategy"... pick Kucherov with the Oilers 31st pick this draft and then pick Grigorenko or Yakupov next year in the lottery... unite them a few seasons in the future... boom goes the dynamite.

I for one wouldn't mind seeing a top six of:
Hall-RNH(even though I still really want Larsson this year)-Eberle
(Kucherov-(Yakupov or Grigorenko)-(MPS/Omark)

I know only Grigorenko is a natural C on that potential 2nd line but no matter how you shake that line up... even throwing Gagner in there... you are going to have a very solid 2nd line (1B line really). If they don't draft Grigorenko then maybe Pitlick/Lander/Martindale becomes that 2nd line C... or another in the prospect pipeline or in a trade.

My main point is... get two of those top Russians drafted this year and next and if nothing else... Khabby can be some sort of mentor for them the next 2 years and show that this team is worth playing for and has supported him and is a good place to play. Kucherov and Grigorenko may stay in the KHL for a while... a few years possibly, but they have the talent to take a gamble on them. God knows Khabby should be good for something besides losing hockey games (although his rebuilding abilities are exceptional so far).

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 09:15 AM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Kucherov and Grigorenko may stay in the KHL for a while... a few years possibly, but they have the talent to take a gamble on them.
At 31, maybe. With the 1st overall, or even a top 5 pick? Not a chance. I would need to be damned sure the kid was coming over before calling his name that early in the draft.

Using video game style player rankings, a 90 ranked player who will actually play on your team >>>> a 95 ranked player who will definitely play in the KHL, and MIGHT come over to your team at some point.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 10:19 PM
OilersPride04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
At 31, maybe. With the 1st overall, or even a top 5 pick? Not a chance. I would need to be damned sure the kid was coming over before calling his name that early in the draft.

Using video game style player rankings, a 90 ranked player who will actually play on your team >>>> a 95 ranked player who will definitely play in the KHL, and MIGHT come over to your team at some point.
got to agree with you there but anytthing can happen in the draft like cam fowlers massive slide

Old
06-01-2011, 11:23 PM
jukon
#Nailedit

I love how some people think we should draft forwards with our #1, 19, 31st picks and our first round next year.

I'm fine with drafting the BPA, but need is definitely a tiebreaker.

jukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 11:26 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post
I love how some people think we should draft forwards with our #1, 19, 31st picks and our first round next year.

I'm fine with drafting the BPA, but need is definitely a tiebreaker.
We'll need to mix some d in there somewhere. If we take C's with the top 2 picks IMO you take the best d-man available at 31 unless that player doesn't project very well.

06-01-2011, 11:30 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
We'll need to mix some d in there somewhere. If we take C's with the top 2 picks IMO you take the best d-man available at 31 unless that player doesn't project very well.
RNH
Scheifele
Morrow
Scarlett
Kessy
Sergeev

That could be our top-4 rounds, and that has a pretty decent mix. Maybe none are blue chip type talent who project to be top-pairing material, but some very solid top-4 D-man potential in that list.

I still think we should go F, F, D with the first 3 picks.

Question, if say at 19, Klefbom and Scheifele are available, who would you guys take any why?

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 11:35 PM
orangeshinpads
Katz isa manipulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I fully expect another top 5 pick next year and that bodes very well for the future of our club. I anticipate next season being our last lottery season for a long, long time.
Q: How long do you think that the young core can be on a badly loosing team before it has a long-term detrimental effect on them?

orangeshinpads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 11:46 PM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeshinpads View Post
Q: How long do you think that the young core can be on a badly loosing team before it has a long-term detrimental effect on them?
I don't know that it affects elite athletes. I don't think it's something that can be proven. However there are many examples of players who played on terrible teams for years and ended up being some of the best the game has ever seen.

Some post-lockout retirees who started on terrible teams: Mario Lemieux, Steve Yzerman, Joe Sakic.

Current players: Roberto Luongo, Duncan Keith, Jarome Iginla...I'm sure there are many more.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 11:56 PM
jukon
#Nailedit

Quote:
Question, if say at 19, Klefbom and Scheifele are available, who would you guys take any why?
I was hoping we would have Zibanejad at 19. We would be lucky to have Klefbom at 19.

This draft is going to be so much more interesting than last years.

jukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 01:23 AM
speeds

Quote:
That's what I think they should be looking to do, with the caveat that if a clearly superior D is available, you probably take them.

Why do you think that's a bad idea?

speeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 06:27 AM
orangeshinpads
Katz isa manipulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
I don't know that it affects elite athletes. I don't think it's something that can be proven. However there are many examples of players who played on terrible teams for years and ended up being some of the best the game has ever seen.

Some post-lockout retirees who started on terrible teams: Mario Lemieux, Steve Yzerman, Joe Sakic.

Current players: Roberto Luongo, Duncan Keith, Jarome Iginla...I'm sure there are many more.
As professional athletes they know how to say what won't get them into trouble with the media, league, or their team. That makes it hard to say what loosing really does to them. Physically, they are trained and skilled, so their performance can stay passable even if they lack motivation, again making hard to say. But it's a subtle positive shift that could make a big difference in my opinion.

orangeshinpads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 10:02 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Quote:
As professional athletes they know how to say what won't get them into trouble with the media, league, or their team. That makes it hard to say what loosing really does to them. Physically, they are trained and skilled, so their performance can stay passable even if they lack motivation, again making hard to say. But it's a subtle positive shift that could make a big difference in my opinion.
You could make a counter argument that wallowing in the depths of the basement in the NHL for several years makes it that much sweeter when the team collectively gels together and forms into a powerhouse together... able to reflect back on their crap years and knowing they don't want to go back there again... all the more incentive to push forward and work hard to improve as individuals and as a team to achieve success.

I think it could certainly work both ways... losing for long periods can be motivational to improve or it can be demoralizing as well... it all depends on the psychological makeup and talent of the individuals on the team. As many have noted, crappy teams can get much better and win cups after years of cellar-dwelling and players on those teams are likely often better for it.... learning along the way that it takes hard work and dedication to achieve the ultimate award in hockey and nothing worth having is easy to achieve.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 10:10 AM
Little Fury

Quote:
I don't think it matters at all. Talent wins out in the end.

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 06:05 PM
OilersPride04

Quote:
I was hoping we would have Zibanejad at 19. We would be lucky to have Klefbom at 19.

This draft is going to be so much more interesting than last years.
IT will be i also hope Beaulieu or simmens is available

Old
06-02-2011, 08:04 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Scheifele for me.

I think if we're rolling with RNH as a Top-6 center down the line, it'd be good to have a bigger center to complete the 1-2 punch.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 02:05 PM
rockinghockey

I think that Edm finishes in the bottom 5 and wins the lottery draft and gets the 1st over all pick. Even if they finish in the top 10 and still get lucky to win the lottery they can get that very good young dman that we need. I have heard a lot of great things about Renhart

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 02:17 PM
dnicks17

With how well Kristian Pelss has been playing, my official choice is Zemgus Girgensons.

I want the first all Latvian line in the NHL.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote