HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where should Richards play?

Closed Thread

Old
08-20-2005, 09:46 AM
jb**

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
Gagne-Forsberg-Carter
Knuble-Handzus-Radivojevic
Kapanen-Richards-Primeau
Brashear-Sharp-Stevenson
Center. period. End of discussion

Old
08-20-2005, 09:48 AM
CNote
Get 'er done

Can anyone tell me where people got the idea that Carter would be on the #1 line? I've got nothing against it I'm just curious. Did Hitchcock or anyone mention that they were leaning towards this?

Old
08-20-2005, 10:18 AM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlyerphan
"Come on!!! I like him too but the most important question is this - Where are we thinner - center or wing? CENTER by a long shot." Mountaneer,I'm sure you meant thinner at wing? I say we keep Zeus.Rarely have I been so positive of a sure thing in Philly,but I think Carter and Richards are that.I'd still keep Zeus around for the transition though.
oops... and I agree we should at least keep Handzus around until the rookies prove they can play well enough - but the second that happens - GET A WINGER!!!

Old
08-20-2005, 11:00 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
Come on!!! I like him too but the most important question is this - Where are we thinner - center or wing? wing by a long shot.

Would you rather trade Primeau or Forsberg to make room?

Name a winger of comparable overall value in the league to Handzus. A winger YOU think is of equal value. Heck - think of a winger that is a little better than Hanzus. WE CAN GET THAT PLAYER with Handzus. Why on earth wouldn't you do it???

What GM would be less likely to do that deal than BC???

Just let Carter play center a LOT. Oh yeah and don't trade Primeau or Forsberg.
Here's a scenario.

-Forsberg gets injured.
-Primeau is good for only 40 points.
-Carter or Richards has a lot of trouble adjusting (it's possible).

WHO IS GOING TO SCORE POINTS AT CENTER?

God I really have fought this battle far too many times. Who are we going to deal Zeus for? Name me a team that would really want him and would have the wings to give up for him. You want a talented wing who can score at least 25 goals, who makes 2 million, and who is about 28 years old (certainly not more than 30). People talk like that wing is just there waiting to be traded to Philly. Oh, did I mention that this wing should probably be extremely strong defensively because Handzus is a very strong defensive centerman as well.

2 years ago, Handzus scored 23 goals playing with Somik and Brashear. Then last year when he has a better season, people say that he wouldn't score at all if it wasn't for Recchi and LeClair. Handzus is quite possibly the best
2nd line center in the league. He will never be a 1st liner, but he is a great 2nd liner and he can play 1st line in a pinch. Hmm, what would one of those pinches be? Maybe when Forsberg got hurt?

Also, I really want to see Radio get big minutes to see what the guy can do. If we trade for a wing, Radio is looking at 3rd or 4th line time....again. It's time to give the guy a chance.

I think people here need to evaluate the situation more realistically. I was over the moon about Forsberg, but let's look at facts. He has bad injury history, he's had 4 concussions, he had injury problems last year in Sweden. Let's look at Primeau. He only played 54 games last year. He's 33 years old. For the style he plays, he could quite possibly get hurt. In the last 3 seasons, Handzus has played 82, 82, and 79 games. He's durable.

This team needs Handzus for insurance. It's quite likely that either Forsberg or Primeau will run into injury problems, in that case, Zeus's value to the team is huge.

Old
08-20-2005, 11:25 AM
Coburnfan05

How can you guys move Prims to the wing...he is one of the best faceoff men in the league.

This would be my lineup

Gagne-Carter-Forsberg
Knuble-Handzus-Radio
Kapanen-Primeau-Richards
Brashear-Sharp-Stevenson

Old
08-20-2005, 11:28 AM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags1288
I like the lines a lot. Richards has to be at center because he'll be the best faceoff man on the team.
Do you honestly believe Richards is a better faceoff man then Primeau at this stage of his career.

Old
08-20-2005, 11:50 AM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagsIsDaMan
How can you guys move Prims to the wing...he is one of the best faceoff men in the league.

This would be my lineup

Gagne-Carter-Forsberg
Knuble-Handzus-Radio
Kapanen-Primeau-Richards
Brashear-Sharp-Stevenson
Pretty sure he's barely over 50%. That doesn't make him one of the best in the league.

Old
08-20-2005, 11:51 AM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNote
Can anyone tell me where people got the idea that Carter would be on the #1 line? I've got nothing against it I'm just curious. Did Hitchcock or anyone mention that they were leaning towards this?
Clarke and Hitch have both said it. First line will be Gagne-Fors-Carter.

Old
08-20-2005, 11:55 AM
MojoJojo

Quote:
He's good, about 53%, making him tied for 18-28th in the league. Nothing to sneeze at, but nothing extraordinary either.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/statis...ype=2&league=e

And besides, who's to say he cant still take faceoffs?

Old
08-20-2005, 12:57 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlyerphan
"Come on!!! I like him too but the most important question is this - Where are we thinner - center or wing? CENTER by a long shot." Mountaneer,I'm sure you meant thinner at wing? I say we keep Zeus.Rarely have I been so positive of a sure thing in Philly,but I think Carter and Richards are that.I'd still keep Zeus around for the transition though.
Thank you. Everyone thought I was was pulling that out of nowhere. (my fault for not including the quote) Maybe it was a typo that has now been fixed by the edit mode, but we certainly are not thin at center.

The above is also my point. Do we need to sign Handzus to a 10 year deal, no way! I am just saying that regardless of how much of a sure thing we think Carter and Richards will be, there is still a transition into the NHL. Lets face it, there is a huge difference between the NHL and AHL, OHL etc. Keep Handzus for at least this year and then when one of RIchards, Carter Umberger are proven, use him as a trading chip.

Another thing, like someone else mentioned, if we trade Handzus, who picks up the slack when Forsberg misses 20 games and Primeau misses 20 games. I rather not have only Carter, Richards, Umberger and Sharp, if need be, playing center. That may be a great line up in 2-3 years, but not now.

Old
08-20-2005, 01:03 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
Here's a scenario.

-Forsberg gets injured.
-Primeau is good for only 40 points.
-Carter or Richards has a lot of trouble adjusting (it's possible).

WHO IS GOING TO SCORE POINTS AT CENTER?

God I really have fought this battle far too many times. Who are we going to deal Zeus for? Name me a team that would really want him and would have the wings to give up for him. You want a talented wing who can score at least 25 goals, who makes 2 million, and who is about 28 years old (certainly not more than 30). People talk like that wing is just there waiting to be traded to Philly. Oh, did I mention that this wing should probably be extremely strong defensively because Handzus is a very strong defensive centerman as well.

2 years ago, Handzus scored 23 goals playing with Somik and Brashear. Then last year when he has a better season, people say that he wouldn't score at all if it wasn't for Recchi and LeClair. Handzus is quite possibly the best
2nd line center in the league. He will never be a 1st liner, but he is a great 2nd liner and he can play 1st line in a pinch. Hmm, what would one of those pinches be? Maybe when Forsberg got hurt?

Also, I really want to see Radio get big minutes to see what the guy can do. If we trade for a wing, Radio is looking at 3rd or 4th line time....again. It's time to give the guy a chance.

I think people here need to evaluate the situation more realistically. I was over the moon about Forsberg, but let's look at facts. He has bad injury history, he's had 4 concussions, he had injury problems last year in Sweden. Let's look at Primeau. He only played 54 games last year. He's 33 years old. For the style he plays, he could quite possibly get hurt. In the last 3 seasons, Handzus has played 82, 82, and 79 games. He's durable.

This team needs Handzus for insurance. It's quite likely that either Forsberg or Primeau will run into injury problems, in that case, Zeus's value to the team is huge.
This is one of the greatest, most accurate posts I have seen on here in a long time!

If Edmonton is willing to give us Ryan Smyth then I might entertain trading Handzus. (Smyth Carter Rado) But only when Carter and Richards prove themselves. I think Carter is going to be on the wing for this year anyway.

Old
08-20-2005, 01:08 PM
mikedifr

Quote:

This would be my lineup

Gagne-Carter-Forsberg
Knuble-Handzus-Radio
Kapanen-Primeau-Richards
Brashear-Sharp-Stevenson
Gagne Forsberg Carter (Carter/Forsberg are interchangable)
Knuble Handzus Radio (I think we all feel this is the 2nd line on paper)
Stevenson Richards Sharp
Brashear Primeau Kapanen

I think the 3rd and 4th lines are interchangable depending on the night. If we are facing a team with a big center give Primeau more time, if not, give Richards more time. Give Richards a chance here and there with Gagne to give Forsberg a rest.

I think having Sharp on the RW with Richards gives the line some youthful energy and skill. Stevenson adds some leadership and size and will score 12-15 goals for you, especially if Richards is as good of a playmaker as he seems.

I would rather have Stevenson with Primeau and Kapanen and someone with more skill with Richards and Sharp but I am working with what we have at the moment.

Old
08-20-2005, 01:12 PM
Liquidrage*

Until they go through camp and some exhibition games we just can't guess this stuff.

For all we know Carter's going to look lost and Richards is going to look great. Or maybe Sharp really looks better at center then either of them. We just don't know.
Or maybe Radio really comes back and shows that the points he was putting up in that short stint in Europe are really a sign that's he's had a huge improvement and he's going to get time with Forsberg and Gagne.

We just don't know.

Richards to me really projects as a center more then anyone. I wouldn't move him to wing at all. I have no problem moving young centers to wing, but when that happens, they don't usually come back to center but instead stay at wing (just a trend I've noticed, not a hard fast rule).

If everything works out how I hope
Gagne - Forsberg - Carter
Radio - Handzus - Knuble
Brashear - Primeau - Kapanen
Sharp - Richards - Stevenson

And Richards gets some time on the PK and occasionally on the PP.

That's if everything goes perfectly IMO. But I doubt that happens.

Old
08-20-2005, 03:31 PM
HFNHL Commish

Send a message via AIM to HFNHL Commish
Any line combinations involving the Flyers current roster that don't list Forsberg, Handzus and Primeau as the top three centers are simply unrealistic.

Richards will earn his stripes as the fourth line center to start with, and if he proves to have enough flexibility to play on the wing, then he'll grab some minutes there. Think back to Gagne's rookie season...he potted 20 goals while spending 2-3 months of the season as the fourth line center, and playing RW on the PP with Lindros and LeClair.

This isn't NHL 2K6...Hitchcock's always going to mix things up during the game. No one up front, with the possible exception of Forsberg, is going to be playing 25 minutes per game. There will be plenty of minutes to go around, and Richards will get his share, even if it's as the "fourth line center". Do you think the Flyers signed Turner Stevenson just to play him 8 minutes/game as the "fourth line winger"???

Old
08-20-2005, 03:53 PM
MojoJojo

Another possibility is that Richards and Carter are jerked all over the lineup, playing wing and center with everyone at some point in the season. Hitch will ocassionally use set lines if he finds a combo with some chemistry, but even then he is not afraid to break these up if they go a little cold.

Old
08-20-2005, 03:59 PM
King Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
Come on!!! I like him too but the most important question is this - Where are we thinner - center or wing? wing by a long shot.

Would you rather trade Primeau or Forsberg to make room?

Name a winger of comparable overall value in the league to Handzus. A winger YOU think is of equal value. Heck - think of a winger that is a little better than Hanzus. WE CAN GET THAT PLAYER with Handzus. Why on earth wouldn't you do it???

What GM would be less likely to do that deal than BC???

Just let Carter play center a LOT. Oh yeah and don't trade Primeau or Forsberg.
Just to correct the correction, the above quote states "WING by a long shot" which as we know is correct.

On another note, that second line looks weak. I think Sharp is a better winger than Radio. Which is why we need to trade for a winger. Radio is bigger than Sharp but plays less physical, Sharp is just as fast as Radio and has he same skill set. I just think Radio as our second line winger could be scary, Sharp could put up just as many points but has more of an edge to his game. WE NEED A GOOD SECOND LINE WINGER!

Old
08-20-2005, 05:06 PM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

Just to correct the correction of the correction,it originally said thinner at center,and was edited.I don't mind giving Radio a shot,or Sharp.I don't think we can afford to trade for one,yet.

Old
08-20-2005, 11:36 PM
deviance

I know i heard people say that clark and hitch said carter would be on line #1. but how does this look anyway :\

gagne-forsberg-kapanen
knuble-handzus-carter
richards-primeau-radio
brashear-sharp-stevenson

dunno if kapanen is first line material but it makes the rest of the lines look better ah well i cant wait till season starts!

Old
08-20-2005, 11:47 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fish
Just to correct the correction, the above quote states "WING by a long shot" which as we know is correct.

On another note, that second line looks weak. I think Sharp is a better winger than Radio. Which is why we need to trade for a winger. Radio is bigger than Sharp but plays less physical, Sharp is just as fast as Radio and has he same skill set. I just think Radio as our second line winger could be scary, Sharp could put up just as many points but has more of an edge to his game. WE NEED A GOOD SECOND LINE WINGER!
Sharp has more of an edge than Radio? I don't know if pummeling Jason Spezza really gives you edge. I'd rather see Radio.

If we get a 2nd line winger, guess who goes?

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

The Second Line Center

WE NEED A GOOD SECOND LINE CENTER!

(sorry for the sarcasm)

Old
08-21-2005, 07:16 AM
blah

Hitch could change the line combos at any minute. I kind of think he'll have to as well, because the more I look at it, the worse that 2nd line looks.

Old
08-21-2005, 08:55 PM
Brad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
Hitch could change the line combos at any minute. I kind of think he'll have to as well, because the more I look at it, the worse that 2nd line looks.
I'm not asking where Hitchcock is, or should put Richards. I'm asking where you would put Richards if you were the coach. As far as I know, none of you are Ken Hitchcock.

Old
08-22-2005, 04:29 AM
PRB

I'd say put Richards on the Right or Left wing for now also while we are deep at center. He's going to get experience wherever he plays and it's not like he's near the end of his career. His oppertunity to play center will come in time.

Old
08-22-2005, 09:46 AM
AG9NK35DT8*

Behind NYR ,Philly is one of my favorite teams .Im excited about Carter and Richards as well I want to see what these kids will do.

What I think I mainly like about Philly is there N.A physical rough and tough style along with the ability to put pucks in the net.

Clarke is doing great with building in a NA style, which is the route Im dying for NYR to go.Thats how it seems with him filling in spots nessecary with Euro players.

Sorry to get off topic.

Old
08-22-2005, 01:53 PM
John Flyers Fan

I'd play Richards as the 4th line center to start the season, and also have him play on the 2nd PP unit as well as the the PK unit. If over the course of the season he proves that he deserves better wingers/more ice time then he will earn it and move his way up the depth chart.

Everyone healthy:

Knuble - Handzus - Sharp
Kapanen - Primeau - Radivojevic
Brashear - Richards - Stevenson

Johnsson - Hatcher
Pitkanen - Rathje
Seidenbreg - Desjardins

PP #1
Gagne - Carter - Forsberg
Johnnson - Pitkanen

PP Unit #1
Knuble - Richards - Handzus
Desjardins - Seidenberg

If injuries occur to any of the top centerman, I'd move Richards up and then bring up Umberger to fillin as the 4th line center.

Old
08-22-2005, 02:10 PM
Gags1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
I'd play Richards as the 4th line center to start the season, and also have him play on the 2nd PP unit as well as the the PK unit. If over the course of the season he proves that he deserves better wingers/more ice time then he will earn it and move his way up the depth chart.

Everyone healthy:

Knuble - Handzus - Sharp
Kapanen - Primeau - Radivojevic
Brashear - Richards - Stevenson

Johnsson - Hatcher
Pitkanen - Rathje
Seidenbreg - Desjardins

PP #1
Gagne - Carter - Forsberg
Johnnson - Pitkanen

PP Unit #1
Knuble - Richards - Handzus
Desjardins - Seidenberg

If injuries occur to any of the top centerman, I'd move Richards up and then bring up Umberger to fillin as the 4th line center.
I think those lines are very probable, though I could see Radio and Sharp switching and even Stevenson getting some time on that third line. Don't forget that when Stevenson was signed, Hitch said that he would be playing with Primeau and Kapanen.

As for Richards, he has a lot of talent and it'd be a shame to use him on the 4th line. I know he's young and I know he'll see some PP time and a lot of PK time, but I'd really love to see a line of Kapanen, Primeau, and Richards. Whether that means moving Primeau to wing or Richards to wing is the question. I do think Richards will be just as effective on faceoffs, if not more effective then Primeau. He was #1 in the OHL and seemingly won every single big faceoff in the WJC. Whether that will translate to the NHL, we'll have to see. Another possibility that you could see if Handzus moving to wing to accomadate Richards. These are some possible lines i've been thinking up.

Gagne-Forsberg-Carter - I'm not going to touch this one, I love it
Knuble-Handzus-Radio
Kapanen-Primeau-Stevenson
Brashear-Richards-Sharp

In my mind, this is most likely what we'll see to start the season. Other options:

Gagne-Forsberg-Carter
Handzus-Richards-Knuble
Kapanen-Primeau-Radio
Brashear-Sharp-Stevenson

Gagne-Forsberg-Carter
Knuble-Handzus-Radio
Kapanen-Richards-Primeau or Richards-Primeau-Kapanen
Brashear-Sharp-Stevenson

The latter two would give Richards more chance to show off his offensive ability.

Another thing, is anyone else as excited as I am about the PK possibilities. I don't think there's a team with even comparable PK forwards. We have Richards, Forsberg, Gagne, Primeau, Carter, Kapanen, and Handzus who are all stellar Penalty Killers (yes I know Richards and Carter aren't proven in this regard, but they were the #1 unit in the WJC and many consider Richards the best PK they've EVER SEEN). In addition, many of those guys (namely Gagne, Forsberg, Richards, Carter, and Kapanen) are capable of taking it the other way. I'll be shocked if we don't produce a top 3 PK unit.

Closed Thread