HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Dreger reports Colin Campbell to resign

Old
06-01-2011, 04:05 PM
yohan1212

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patccmoi View Post
That's the stud sucker punching people at the end of games and throwing water bottles at fans with no disciplinary consequence, and drawing a diving penalty on Downie by acting as if it was a major faking on his part after driving his face in the board taking him out of the game? Oh ya, Boston's getting no favoritism whatsoever, especially not that stud...

And a high-stick is a penalty, geez.
Love him or hate him theres no denying he has been clutch in his first ever playoffs..There would not have been a suspsension on any of the above mentioned plays no matter who the player, who the team.

yohan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 04:12 PM
HabsSlappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1 View Post
Can't ignore the timing of this, pretty much confirms what we all thought: Boston's been getting a free pass.
I agree, the timing of this raises several red flags. He is either doing this to hide something that is about to come out, or what is more likely is that Vancouver and possibly other owners were calling for this as they see this as a blatant conflict of interest. I know if I were Vancouver I would be calling the league offices to complain about this.

Even if he doesn't make calls when the Bruins are involved. If you knew your boss wanted something badly, you have to admit that you would consciously or sub-consciously change the way you do your job. Or at least think about that. Would you do something that would upset your boss?

It is a disgrace that it took him this long to resign.

HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 04:22 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
I agree, the timing of this raises several red flags. He is either doing this to hide something that is about to come out, or what is more likely is that Vancouver and possibly other owners were calling for this as they see this as a blatant conflict of interest. I know if I were Vancouver I would be calling the league offices to complain about this.

Even if he doesn't make calls when the Bruins are involved. If you knew your boss wanted something badly, you have to admit that you would consciously or sub-consciously change the way you do your job. Or at least think about that. Would you do something that would upset your boss?

It's why the job should be done via committee in the first place.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 04:24 PM
Protest the Hero

I wish I could have applied for the job. Easiest job in the world and there's no repercussions for doing whatever I feel like doing that day even if it's the complete opposite of what I did last time.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohan1212 View Post
Love him or hate him theres no denying he has been clutch in his first ever playoffs..There would not have been a suspsension on any of the above mentioned plays no matter who the player, who the team.
Oh he has been clutch. But your second part is actually extremely laughable. Tell that to Tortorella please. Or do you think that a coach is so much easier to suspend than a player?

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 05:15 PM
yohan1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post

Depends which side you look at the timing. ANyone here give the slightest possibility that He planned on stepping down from this role as soon as the season was over, but now that he cannot hand any disciplinary action down anyways (since boston is playing )he decided to make the quicker step-down. Only makes sense.....

Quote:
Oh he has been clutch. But your second part is actually extremely laughable. Tell that to Tortorella please. Or do you think that a coach is so much easier to suspend than a player?
I honestly did not see the torterlla incident nor know of his suspension so i cannot comment. If he did get suspended for squirting water i dont agree with it but i can show you several players who did it too but never got suspended. I actually had the opportunity to attend game 6 in Tampa so i can tell you this:

The B's players were getting pegged with little "paddle" handouts as soon as the final buzzer rang. A little squirt of the bottle in response deserves the fine, but absolutely no suspension. If it were that bad you'd think the fan woud be pressing charges (i am unaware however if any other fans called it in - I've got some tampa friends and will have to ask them and get back to ya)..

yohan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Gally11

Says a lot that Murphy isn't getting promoted

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 05:26 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 05:29 PM
sheed36

Wow this is an interesting development just before the finals.. The guy should have been fired after the email incident complaining to the refs about calls made against his son.. Good riddance Mr. Inconsistency.

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 06:03 PM
Patccmoi

Quote:
I honestly did not see the torterlla incident nor know of his suspension so i cannot comment. If he did get suspended for squirting water i dont agree with it but i can show you several players who did it too but never got suspended. I actually had the opportunity to attend game 6 in Tampa so i can tell you this:

The B's players were getting pegged with little "paddle" handouts as soon as the final buzzer rang. A little squirt of the bottle in response deserves the fine, but absolutely no suspension. If it were that bad you'd think the fan woud be pressing charges (i am unaware however if any other fans called it in - I've got some tampa friends and will have to ask them and get back to ya)..
He did not just squirt water, he threw the bottle at the guy. That's where it crosses the line.

Tortorella's incident is the exact same thing (squirt + throw water bottle). Comments from Campbell afterwards was that there can be absolutely no physical contact with the fans, no matter the reason, and so suspended Tortorella out of a playoff game 6 (which the Rangers lost, not that it matters).

Basically what he said applied 100% to the Horton situation. Except in this case he chose to ignore it, and gave ABSOLUTELY NO REASON. All they said about the matter is 'nothing will happen, no comment'. Usually they at least TRY to defend their reasoning, this time they didn't. Cause there was just no way to do it.

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Tortorella's incident is the exact same thing (squirt + throw water bottle). Comments from Campbell afterwards was that there can be absolutely no physical contact with the fans, no matter the reason, and so suspended Tortorella out of a playoff game 6 (which the Rangers lost, not that it matters).

Basically what he said applied 100% to the Horton situation. Except in this case he chose to ignore it, and gave ABSOLUTELY NO REASON. All they said about the matter is 'nothing will happen, no comment'. Usually they at least TRY to defend their reasoning, this time they didn't. Cause there was just no way to do it
I'm pretty sure a monkey picking suspensions out of a hat would be more consistant, than Colin Campbell was. The guy should've been fired out of a cannon (into the sun) a long time ago.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8th Rounder View Post
Meh, the refs still like Montreal. Boston got late penalties in 5 of the 7 playoff games versus the Habs this spring.
They were also the most obvious calls that could be made.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 08:20 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
They were also the most obvious calls that could be made.
He forgot the missed spear on Hamrlik that they scored on. On top of it a Bruin knocked puck down with a high stick which meant two missed calls on one play.

Last edited by googlymoogly: 06-01-2011 at 08:35 PM.
googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 08:30 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
I see what they did, say he'll resign so the NHL can give the Bruins all the calls and not look too suspicious.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Ginu

Thank God. Buttman should follow. Both of these guys are a disgrace to the game. The NHL is an entertaining game but these two worry more about themselves than doing what's best for the game.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 09:31 PM
TheBourkeIdentity

Quote:

I agree with you, in principle, except that Campbell had already sent a league wide memo stating that any contact, specifically including squirting water, was subject to suspension.

TheBourkeIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 10:24 PM
KerryFraser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max et Guillaume View Post
He got his son to the Finals, his work is completed!
just imagine a Bruins player causing an injury too a Canucks player in the finals, like a stick swing to the head or a bad cross check. Then you have Colin Campbell there, maybe not having to judge the act but still there on the comitee. All that in the finals in front of large audience (NBC) all across the country.

I really don't know why this league are that slow to react in this kind of case. Really ugly in my point of view. But hey! it's the NHL...

KerryFraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 10:46 PM
rUmX

This just made my day.

rUmX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 12:07 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max et Guillaume View Post
He got his son to the Finals, his work is completed!
The habs lost because we couldn't score in overtime. The Bruins absolutely dominated the Flyers and even if Horton was suspended fro game 7, I bet the Bruins would have found a way to win.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 12:13 AM
Habs

I'm sure there will be a Boston connection somehow in his place. Is Shanny's son a Bruins draft pick or anything?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 01:05 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Feels like good ol' NHL PR. League has a bad image, have someone take the fall and replace him with a well liked guy, respected by the fans, who will have the mobs put down their pitchforks for a while. Don't want to be cynical, but I don't see puting Shanahan there having a positive impact on the way discipline is enforced. The guys behind the scene are probably still pushing for status quo.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 06:24 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Not sure if this was posted(too lazy to scour the whole thread)...

http://www.cowhideandrubber.com/it-all-makes-sense-now

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 07:01 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Thank God. Buttman should follow. Both of these guys are a disgrace to the game. The NHL is an entertaining game but these two worry more about themselves than doing what's best for the game.
Perhaps you can elaborate on how these people "worry about themselves more".

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 07:49 AM
habsrule22

Quote:
He did not just squirt water, he threw the bottle at the guy. That's where it crosses the line.

Basically what he said applied 100% to the Horton situation. Except in this case he chose to ignore it, and gave ABSOLUTELY NO REASON. All they said about the matter is 'nothing will happen, no comment'. Usually they at least TRY to defend their reasoning, this time they didn't. Cause there was just no way to do it.
That may have been the straw that broke the camel back. And probably why Murphy didn t get the job either. they have been teribly inconsistent.

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 07:50 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Bettman did what nobody else could go, get a salary cap for the NHL. That's one of the biggest positives in the history of the NHL.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote