HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Automobile Questions

Old
04-11-2011, 10:11 AM
RealCity

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Is this where i put my car to sell? If you want to buy my Lada, you should know that its modified extensively so the engine starts when you turn the key. Front wheel let you steer right AND left (it was optional) And it comes with a two tone color scheme.

All bumpers have been removed (less weight= more speed) and i'll include for FREE that piece of string needed to move the wipers. Wow!! What a deal! Leave me a message and we'll talk!

Will it go 300 hectares on a single tank of kerosene?

RealCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Sorry about your dad, I lost my mom in August and understand how these things work.
Crap, I'm so insensitive. My late condolences to both you Habs and Whitesnake for your loses.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:10 AM
jdmef8vtec*

took my M3 out saturday, omg i missed that car.

jdmef8vtec* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmef8vtec View Post
I know the feeling. I took my baby out of storage last weekend. Sadly it's rained here everyday since.

Old
04-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Wow thanks guys for your fast answers. I do have to sell the car and just don't want to keep it. Strangely, some things you don't mind keeping for memory purposes but that car isn't one of them. I was mostly thinking about asking for 1 500$-2000$ myself while probably having to let it go cheaper than that so we'll see. Thanks for the links and "cleaning" material I stupidly forgot about. Will do it as soon as I get home today.

If anybody still has anything else to mention, feel free....

H10H: The model is the 4-door GL automatic model.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:37 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmef8vtec View Post
I'm jealous

I hope by the time my current lease is up I can afford an STi. *knock on wood*

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:43 AM
ClasslessGuy

F*ing tired of the problems with my car...

The new one: the car have trouble starting, but only when the engine is hot... go figure... I bring it to my usual garage and they checked the battery and starter everthing is working perfectly. The wires, filters and spark plug were the originals so they changed it. = sweet nothing car is still not working when it's hot. I go to another place and they say to me that i should change de starter so i bought the starter at canadian tire (i'm not crazy enough to get it installed there) and i ask my cousin to change it. = nothing again still not working, so i finaly decided to pay more and go to at the hyundai dealer. So they checked my car plugged it in the computor and the error code indicated there was a problem with the crank position sensor so finally! they change that part 280$ = sweet ****all again.... i am so pissed about that.

I know in first place i shouldn't buy a hyundai accent... but i'm a student !

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:56 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Putting my summer rims/tires in about 2 hours. In essence a pointless feature but I like em so gonna give my car and a quick clean up from the dirt of winter months.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 12:05 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubaka View Post

The new one: the car have trouble starting, but only when the engine is hot... go figure... I bring it to my usual garage and they checked the battery and starter everthing is working perfectly. The wires, filters and spark plug were the originals so they changed it. = sweet nothing car is still not working when it's hot. I go to another place and they say to me that i should change de starter so i bought the starter at canadian tire (i'm not crazy enough to get it installed there) and i ask my cousin to change it. = nothing again still not working, so i finaly decided to pay more and go to at the hyundai dealer. So they checked my car plugged it in the computor and the error code indicated there was a problem with the crank position sensor so finally! they change that part 280$ = sweet ****all again.... i am so pissed about that.

But I think new they're a safe bet. 7 year 120k warranty (and I've heard it's a NO ******** one, they'll even fix it if you beat the piss out of the car)

Also I believe it's 0% or 0.9% over 84 months, not to mention they're cheap cars to begin with. This is why I say selling one used older and without warranty might be tough to get value on, especially in the case that there's good mileage, though I don't blame white for wanting to sell it, sound reasoning there, I'd feel the same way.

So yeah, you could basically have a 2011 accent (far better than 03) for much cheaper and no interest, and pay it off over a huge period of time. Hyundai is trying to build up their brand as we speak, and the only way to get loyal customers is to get to them with this kind of financing. It's actually brilliant. They make less money now but in the future when they get the reputation it won't be a joke to own one anymore.

Ford is doing the same thing, they started making much better cars and now they're selling them for next to nothing in order to re-build a loyal client base that they ****ed over and lost over the last 1-2 decades. I can't say that I disagree with what they're doing, it's smart. But they aren't going to convince the people who left to come back, more-so get new customers who aren't aware that it's all the parts+labor they scam you on. (Bring your car in, if it's past warranty they basically sabotage your car. This has happened to us at all dealerships on the west island (none exist anymore) and the one in St. Laurent. All of them are just bad, could just be this area but they're horrible. Always a problem when you take it in to get something fixed. One time they even stole my dads brand new battery, as if somebodies not going to notice a battery they bought like 2 weeks ago has been replaced by some piece of **** one)

Anyways, that's what a lot of companies are doing now. They sell the cars for barely any profit and will finance them to you at an affordable rate and they make the money back on either parts and labor or in the future when you're a loyal customer.

Truthfully brand loyalty for cars is just stupid and I say this as a huge Honda fan, but I'd never go to Honda just because of brand loyalty. I still check out what other companies have to offer in terms of their vehicles, incentives, % rate and of course overall bang for buck. I might actually consider Hyundai next time cause like I said brand loyalty with cars is just stupid. You go with either your dream car when you don't give 2 ***** about money, or you go with the best company of the time, the one that makes the best cars that fit your needs/price. If Honda offers that I go with it, if they don't I don't. A lot of companies offer much better deals on site then on the website, so it's always smart to go in and see for yourself/test drive.

I'd imagine you could get a ton of good deals if you went to Hyundai directly. If I were you Whitesnake clean it up and see what trade in value they'd give you. My friends dad got an insane trade in value for his Accord. Sure it's an Accord but it was like a 98 and he got a crazy trade-in value for it. Perfect condition low mileage similar to your car but older. Obviously we're talking Honda a company that retains value like no other, but it's worth trying.

Old
04-11-2011, 12:09 PM
coolasprICE

I have to say, my 2000 civic I bought with 85 000 KM was an amazing deal for 2400 was an amazing deal. Not an inch of issues.

I gave back my other car which was on lease and I'm seriously contemplating if I should just not drive this one out.It's a great feeling not having to dish out 400 or so a month ...

But then again, if I was single and not in a 4 year relationship I'd probably wouldn't be caught dead in it

coolasprICE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 12:31 PM
ClasslessGuy

For my 2003 hyundai accent GL (5 doors)

93 xxx km
full equiped, electric window, door , mirror, a/c, cd etc.
small rust
2 brand new set on tires.

brand new 4 sets of brakes, 1 yr battery and oil pan, new sparks plugs, wires, crank sensor, muffler.

in the black book it says 1950$ minimum.

I'm at the point of giving it in trade in and get a 2010 corrola!

Old
04-12-2011, 07:51 AM
ClasslessGuy

Quote:

Alright so i'm back from the hyundai garage, and now they told me that the problem is the cam sensor...after paying 280$ to change the crank sensor 4 days ago.

I hate car i don't even know what that sensor does or if this is really the good solution and i feel i'm getting screwed really bad in that story..

Old
04-12-2011, 08:43 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Alright so i'm back from the hyundai garage, and now they told me that the problem is the cam sensor...after paying 280$ to change the crank sensor 4 days ago.

I hate car i don't even know what that sensor does or if this is really the good solution and i feel i'm getting screwed really bad in that story..
Trade it in and don't look back LOL.

Old
04-12-2011, 08:48 AM
ClasslessGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Trade it in and don't look back LOL.
Yeah this is the best solution but i won't even get 1000$ for that piece of crap. (I've put at least 1500$ in the past 2 years).

The solution would be to sell it as is on kijiji or autotrader and after that get a 2010 Corrola.... That's my plan

So 2010 Corrola or 2010 Yaris sedan?

Old
04-12-2011, 09:06 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Yeah this is the best solution but i won't even get 1000$ for that piece of crap. (I've put at least 1500$ in the past 2 years).

The solution would be to sell it as is on kijiji or autotrader and after that get a 2010 Corrola.... That's my plan

So 2010 Corrola or 2010 Yaris sedan?
A friend of mine has a 2009 or 2010 Corolla and loves it. With the sporty rims, and a spoiler on the back. It's not a bad looking car, and she's always raving to me about the gas mileage.

Old
04-12-2011, 09:07 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
A friend of mine has a 2009 or 2010 Corolla and loves it. With the sporty rims, and a spoiler on the back. It's not a bad looking car, and she's always raving to me about the gas mileage.
I don't like Toyota's line up at all but if I had to choose definitely the Corolla and it's not even close to be honest.

Old
04-12-2011, 09:46 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I don't like Toyota's line up at all but if I had to choose definitely the Corolla and it's not even close to be honest.
I've actually never driven a Toyota before. Actually that's a lie, I had a Toyota 4 runner years ago for about a week. I flipped it over while goofing around and wrote it off. I enjoyed driving it for the week I had it though.

Most people I know that currently drive Toyota's have been driving them for years. They seem to like them so much, that when it comes time to trade them in, they end up getting another Toyota.

Old
04-12-2011, 10:38 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I've actually never driven a Toyota before. Actually that's a lie, I had a Toyota 4 runner years ago for about a week. I flipped it over while goofing around and wrote it off. I enjoyed driving it for the week I had it though.

Most people I know that currently drive Toyota's have been driving them for years. They seem to like them so much, that when it comes time to trade them in, they end up getting another Toyota.
Identical situation only Honda. Know plenty of people for both companies though, my aunt is a Toyota person.

Old
06-01-2011, 04:57 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Okay boys and girls, I have another freakin long automobile question. As you'll see....I'm totally undecided and find that there's way too many possibilities as far as those models are concerned.

I'd first like to say that those models are all in my price range, so need to put it in that order. All of these for new 2011 models. But after that, what's most important for me are:
  • Fuel economy
  • Space (trunk and rest of the car)
  • Family oriented
  • Techno oriented (great radio, mp3 oriented, bluetooth etc.)
  • Confortable
  • Trusted
  • Best overall car.
Put those models in order for me with maybe a little comment as far as who to NOT TAKE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE...and maybe who I should STRONGLY considerate. I need to come down to a list of 5-7. Can't visit dealers for 1 month in a row.

Here we go:
CHEVROLET TRAVERSE
CHEVROLET EQUINOX
DODGE JOURNEY
FORD EDGE
GMC TERRAIN
HONDA CR-V
HYUNDAI SANTA FE
HYUNDAI TUCSON
HYUNDAI VERACRUZ
KIA RONDO
KIA SORENTO
KIA SPORTAGE
MAZDA 5
MAZDA CX-7
MITSUBISHI OUTLANDER
NISSAN MURANO
NISSAN ROGUE
SUBARU FORESTER
SUBARU OUTBACK
TOYOTA RAV 4
TOYOTA VENZA
VOLKS TIGUAN

I know it's a lot....but I have the hardest time to decide right now.

Thanks.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 06-01-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 05:17 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Identical situation only Honda. Know plenty of people for both companies though, my aunt is a Toyota person.
To me, Honda and Toyota have been successful based on their reputation more than their vehicles performance and quality. To me, right now the 2011 Hyundai Elantra stands alone as best bang for your buck. Blowing the Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic away by a fair margin.

Civic aren't made like they used to be and Toyota's are just meh, haven't made any substantial improvements in years.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
To me, Honda and Toyota have been successful based on their reputation more than their vehicles performance and quality. To me, right now the 2011 Hyundai Elantra stands alone as best bang for your buck. Blowing the Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic away by a fair margin.

Civic aren't made like they used to be and Toyota's are just meh, haven't made any substantial improvements in years.
You are right about Elantra, it's a gorgeous car in that price range. However, don't discount the reputation of the Honda and Toyota offerings or the loyalty to the brand. They are consistently tops in customer loyalty (a telling metric 62 percent of Honda owners trade in their Honda's for another Honda) and reliability. Translates into better resale value and total cost of ownership.

I've had 4 Hondas, 3 accords and an Acura EL 1.7 (fancy Civic). Virtually no problems, first accord went to 350K and running when I sold it and my EL is at 305K and still going strong for my son.

My local repair shop is a family run business, with a father and 3 sons being the mechanics. They personally own 9 cars between them , 7 are Hondas and 2 are Toyotas. Good enough for me.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 11:40 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

I've had my 2001 Accord for almost 3 years now and really love it. I'll assuredly buy another Honda when it breaks down (which shouldn't happen soon. it barely has 100 000km and I didn't have any major mechanical problems with it yet).

I might rent a car for a week long australian roadtrip... The cheapest are ''Hyundai Getz'' but they seem to be terrible compact cars. Other choices include Skoda Octavia (no clue whatsoever what that is), Corolla, Elantra, Nissan Tiida (no clues about Nissan) and the Lancer. I'm tempted by the Lancer, I know a guy that owns one and says its awesome but I don't know if its worth paying more or not.

(really looking forward to driving on the wrong side of the road haha)

Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 06-01-2011 at 11:54 PM.
FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 05:59 AM
LeMAD

Protip: buy a Honda or a Toyota.

The're boring, but as long as you make your oil changes, you won't have a problem with them.

It's not a matter of reputation. There are better cars to drive, but those two brands are simply better built than the rest of their competitors. Ford is pretty good too. Nissan have a few decent model. But most manufacturers make cars that will fall apart after 150k km.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 07:58 AM
Guiness time

It's funny how this topic came up this morning...just bought a brand new accord last night...can't beat 0.9% financing!

Guiness time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 08:24 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadrüH View Post
When something on your BMW breaks, is it expensive to replace?
No !

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote