HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Top 6 defenseman this year

Old
06-02-2011, 08:25 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

vCash: 500
This must be what the Preds fans feel like all the time.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 08:44 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Sauer

are set as the top 4.

Erixon, Del Zotto, Valentenko, and possibly Gilroy will all be challenging for the third pair.

I think they need to bring in a cheap vet as insurance against a the younger guys not being able to cut it in that third pairing competition....and to potentially guard against a sophomore slump coming from Sauer or McDonagh.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 08:45 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Staal- Girardi
Sauer- McDonagh
Erixon- MDZ

That has to be the youngest defense a team has ever iced...

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 09:26 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

del zotto is in a tough spot. hes not a torts favorite like girlroy is- which i still dont get at all since girlroy is just plain terrible.

del zottos defense is weak at best, even on a good day. mdz is pretty much a one trick pony. a very good passer and a guy who sees the ice well but hes undersized and hes not a great skater. and hes got that so-so, kinda weak shot from the top. thats not that hot.

hes an offensive dman who needs to score points on the pp. with our pp, that would concern me if i were he.

as an all around defender, which seems to be the soup du jour right now, hes not anything close to a kid like erixon or either of sauer or mcd.

imo, and its only an opinion, his days are numbered. he knows it too. guys like ktek and vtank are both breathing down his neck and both those guys play that torts kinda defense that seems to be better suited to this system- and both have cannon shots from the point.

i can see a few mdz scenarios playing out. moving him on draft day- ala sanguinetti isnt out of the question. bringing in a vet dman who has wheels is the likely solution. and playing guys like i listed above is also a reasonable possability.

given the sanguinetti thing and the moving of werek and now horak- for another young dman no less, i would be very concerned if i were young del zotto.

very concerned indeed.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 09:34 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

If the Rangers trade MDZ they'll regret it.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 09:39 AM
YoungD4

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
del zotto is in a tough spot. hes not a torts favorite like girlroy is- which i still dont get at all since girlroy is just plain terrible.

del zottos defense is weak at best, even on a good day. mdz is pretty much a one trick pony. a very good passer and a guy who sees the ice well but hes undersized and hes not a great skater. and hes got that so-so, kind a weak shot from the top. thats not that hot.

hes an offensive dman who needs to score points on the pp. with our pp, that would concern me if i were he.

as an all around defender, which seems to be the soup du jour right now, hes not anything close to a kid like erixon or either of sauer or mcd.

imo, and its only an opinion, his days are numbered. he knows it too. guys like ktek and vtank are both breathing down his neck and both those guys play that torts kinda defense that seems to be better suited to this system- and both have cannon shots from the point.

i can see a few mdz scenarios playing out. moving him on draft day- ala sanguinetti isnt out of the question. bringing in a vet dman who has wheels is the likely solution. and playing guys like i listed above is also a reasonable possability.

given the sanguinetti thing and the moving of werek and now horak- for another young dman no less, i would be very concerned if i were young del zotto.

very concerned indeed.
Wait a minute, Del Zotto is weak on defense at his best? That's a blanket statement. The kid is 20 years old, he hasn't even fully matured yet.
And Del Zotto does not have a weak shot from the point. He has a strong enough and accurate shot

YoungD4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 09:40 AM
YoungD4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
I agree one hundred percent

YoungD4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 09:41 AM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungD4 View Post
Wait a minute, Del Zotto is weak on defense at his best? That's a blanket statement. The kid is 20 years old, he hasn't even fully matured yet.
That's just one of the reasons why he's weak on defense. It's still an accurate statement, it can just be taken out of context.

Quote:
And Del Zotto does not have a weak shot from the point. He has a strong enough and accurate shot
Accurate? I seem to remember Del Zotto hitting the backboards on numerous occasions on wide open chances in the slot.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 09:42 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
perhaps not.

would mdz and 15 get us ryan strome or perhaps zbad. both those guys would be huge gets for us.

if it costs us a guy like del zotto, to get strome. no brainer there.

heck, i will say this right now to you.

i would do either mdz or mcilrath if it meant we could get to 10 or better and take an impact pivot in this draft. and i might even prefer mcilrath to go over mdz.

to come away with both ryan strome and erixon this year would be awesome. thats 2 top 10 talents right there and we only lose mdz or mcilrath and horak and 2 2nds in this draft. thats a coup.

and for the record, next year is the year of the pmd. you want to replace mdz, take a look at next years dmen. those guys are all better prospects.

Old
06-02-2011, 09:43 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post
Staal - Girardi
McD - Sauer
Erixon - Valentenko
Going to be a battle in camp but I side with this combo to start as Valentenko has no options. I thnk Del Zotto will play but he may start in CT.

No need for a vet. Save the dollars on Forwards now. Richards, RFA's

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 09:45 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Staal - Girardi
McDonagh - Erixon
Del Zotto - Sauer
Valentenko
me likey

I like the idea of putting Sauer with MDZ, IF, MDZ makes the team out of camp. Gives him a steady defensive oriented partner, maybe he doesn't overthink things.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mullichicken25

this "his days are numbered" stuff is garbage

1 good season, 1 bad season, 20 year old defensman 1st round draft pick

your out of your face if you think anyone in the organization is done with him at this point

next season will tell a lot more, but even then (good or bad) the jury will still be out

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OverTheCap

There's no way the Rangers trade MDZ before the season starts unless it's for it's another promising young offensive defensemen. Erixon has yet to play a game in the NHL and it's far too risky to put all their eggs in one basket like that.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 09:48 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
I think the ultimate plan is to have both of them on the PP no. Erixon and MDZ. If Valatenko had options then I would say he goes down but if he does'nt they can't risk losing the kid and I am not sure if they want a young player around as the 7th. If need be that is the 7

Gilroy is gone, Eminger too. I could see a two way deal signed by a vet that could serve as the 7th though

Regardless of the combos this is fantastic and McIlrath and Kundratek are also on the way

Old
06-02-2011, 09:51 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Really? Without even knowing what the return is/would be?

06-02-2011, 09:53 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungD4 View Post
hes not a big guy. and his defense is his weakness. he improved alot his last year of juniors but his rep when he was drafted was he cant play a lick of d. that will never be his thing. hes an offensive dman. a playmaking dman. hes a good passer and a smart player. no question there. but his d zone play isnt strong.

http://www.nhlentrydraft2008.com/fea...&playerID=1015

Areas to Improve: He needs to improve on the defensive coverage side of the game because he is an offensive defenseman, who, is looking to jump up into the rush and is looking offense first.

his defense was a horror show many nights and just adequate on most others. hes undersized, isnt strong enough to be a physical force and struggles to make good reads. his gap control last year was plain atrocious. he relies on stick checking and positioning to play defense and yet, his wheels are only so-so.

his shot isnt strong. his accuracy isnt good. can that be improved, sure it can. but the problem is, there are other guys passing him on the depth chart and a guy like erixon is more nhl ready than mike is.

and i will say it again, not sure hes a torts favorite. thats not good.

Old
06-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
hes not a big guy. and his defense is his weakness. he improved alot his last year of juniors but his rep when he was drafted was he cant play a lick of d. that will never be his thing. hes an offensive dman. a playmaking dman. hes a good passer and a smart player. no question there. but his d zone play isnt strong.

http://www.nhlentrydraft2008.com/fea...&playerID=1015

Areas to Improve: He needs to improve on the defensive coverage side of the game because he is an offensive defenseman, who, is looking to jump up into the rush and is looking offense first.

his defense was a horror show many nights and just adequate on most others. hes undersized, isnt strong enough to be a physical force and struggles to make good reads. his gap control last year was plain atrocious. he relies on stick checking and positioning to play defense and yet, his wheels are only so-so.

his shot isnt strong. his accuracy isnt good. can that be improved, sure it can. but the problem is, there are other guys passing him on the depth chart and a guy like erixon is more nhl ready than mike is.

and i will say it again, not sure hes a torts favorite. thats not good.
I think we say he isnt a Torts kinda guy too much. Avery has a place on the team this year. He shut up when benched and played 4th line when he had too. He is going no where when for 2 million he is off the books next yr

Del Zotto was given plenty of chances to play this year even after he was sent down. Unfortunately he did'nt break out of his slump but the guy is 20 and he is going to get better. He will have a great chance of making the team out of camp even with Erixon in now.

DZ needs a stead partner like Sauer or McDonaugh.

Old
06-02-2011, 10:19 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I think we say he isnt a Torts kinda guy too much. Avery has a place on the team this year. He shut up when benched and played 4th line when he had too. He is going no where when for 2 million he is off the books next yr

Del Zotto was given plenty of chances to play this year even after he was sent down. Unfortunately he did'nt break out of his slump but the guy is 20 and he is going to get better. He will have a great chance of making the team out of camp even with Erixon in now.

DZ needs a stead partner like Sauer or McDonaugh.
yeah, i might be wrong. i say that only because thats my opinion. i just dont think torts is a huge fan.

avery is a pariah. no one wants him. not true with mdz. hes got value, inspite of his recent struggles. if mdz is more valuable to this organization by being moved, then he will be moved just like sangs, werek and horak were.

as for needing as steady partner, he played with alot of partners both in ny and hartford. he needs to play better.

period.

Old
06-02-2011, 10:39 AM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
one thing that we may unfortunately have to consider is the very real possiblility that McD or Sauer have a sophomore slump

id be more worried about McD than sauer, but it could happen to either...or both...
I think they are too solid positionally to have sophomore slumps. Nobody is expecting them to put up a ton of points or lead a PP like MDZ, just play their game. It is so simple and ingrained for them, they will be fine.

But you are correct, Sauer is basically almost a vet. Plenty of time in the AHL. McD might have a few growing pains, but he plays such a solid game I can't see him "slumping."

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 10:50 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Really? Without even knowing what the return is/would be?
If you could swing him as the centerpiece of a deal for a 60 point winger, I dont know how you hold onto him.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 10:55 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple McIlwraath View Post
I think they are too solid positionally to have sophomore slumps. Nobody is expecting them to put up a ton of points or lead a PP like MDZ, just play their game. It is so simple and ingrained for them, they will be fine.

But you are correct, Sauer is basically almost a vet. Plenty of time in the AHL. McD might have a few growing pains, but he plays such a solid game I can't see him "slumping."
my worry with MCD, and i've seen this happen a bunch of times in a player's sophomore season, is that the close plays that bounced our way last season bounce the other way next year

a tight pass is picked off instead of barely completed, a quick move is stuffed instead of squeezing by, a dangerous pinch becomes an odd man rush instead of a great keep in, a blocked shot flies just over him instad of barely grazing his shin pad....it goes on and on, some is bad luck, some is mental, and some is opponents being more aware of his playing style

I can remember McD having a few of those nice but danergous plays. sauer, on the other hand, not so much

not saying its gaurenteed....im just saying that its possible everything might not be peas and carrots next season

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 03:13 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Stamkos for MDZ. I am so regret.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 03:33 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Stamkos for MDZ. I am so regret.
Would never happen, let's be reality.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 04:36 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Would never happen, let's be reality.
clearly. it should be obvious adding Anisimov + a 1st would be enough to get it done.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 04:53 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I think we hold onto Del Zotto, and that he makes the team out of camp.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote