HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peter Horachek interviewed for Dallas & Minnesota head coaching vacancies

Old
06-02-2011, 07:19 AM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Peter Horachek interviewed for Dallas & Minnesota head coaching vacancies

Kirk Muller, Glen Gulutzan, and Ken Hitchcock are the other candidates thus far.

Quote:
Horachek, 51, said he met with Stars Director of Scouting and Player Development Les Jackson and General Manager Joe Nieuwendyk.

“Great people. I really enjoyed sitting down and talking to them,” Horachek said. “They have a great facility there, where their offices are and the practice rink is. It looks like it was a fabulous facility.

“I think I bring a good communication level and I bring a lot of passion to the game. I think I have a good understanding of people, I think I have a good understanding of systems and how to adjust the systems.”
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...110601037/2079

Last edited by Seth Lake: 06-03-2011 at 11:59 PM.
Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 08:35 AM
predfan98

know it would be a lot of change, but kind of think it might be a good idea to get 2 new assistants in there.
hopefully brent still can interact with the players, though.... he's a good smart man. i imagine the d men are really going to miss him.

actually, i think it would be great to replace horachek. with who.....don't have a clue.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 08:49 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

I would rather only replace the one. Horacek is the one who runs the practices and such. I know the next guy would too, but continuity I think helps, esp with Peterson leaving the bench

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 09:03 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I would rather only replace the one. Horacek is the one who runs the practices and such. I know the next guy would too, but continuity I think helps, esp with Peterson leaving the bench
I think Hitch lands in NJ, and I believe Kikr Muller is the guy Dallas would really want anyway. Nice that they interview Hordichuk, but I am not sure he is really ready for that. I could be wrong on this, but that is my opinion anyway. Worth everything you paid for it.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 11:07 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I'm with token and darth. I don't know if it would be good to have to replace both Peterson and Horachek this summer, but I don't think he wins that job anyway.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 11:10 AM
SavageSteve

I think that this could open the door for Lane Lambert and (if we have to replace both)/or a way to bring in Boughner to bring out the best in Ryan Ellis. Honestly w/ all of the players that ran the pipe through MIL, Lambert would make a lot of sense to promote to the NHL level; but having an original Pred w/ Junior level success w/ the system's blue chipper and a dash of NHL w/ C-Bus is pretty intriguing. I would think that Trotz will set the system overall but we REALLY need some frsh ideas for the power play/offensive zone.

SavageSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 11:12 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
I am torn on this. With Lambert likely to get the one vacancy, a second opening might force them to bring in some new blood with a fresh perspective not just the guy who has been coaching the same system just in the AHL.

But replacing both assistants could be significantly disruptive, as well...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 11:16 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I am torn on this. With Lambert likely to get the one vacancy, a second opening might force them to bring in some new blood with a fresh perspective not just the guy who has been coaching the same system just in the AHL.

But replacing both assistants could be significantly disruptive, as well...
This is what I was thinking. If there was a good chance that new blood would improve our PP without hurting our system I'd be for it. Too bad the only real way to know is when the games start, and by then it's really too late. I'll tell you one thing that will make this job more attractive to a lot of guys. Job security.

Old
06-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandypred View Post
I think that this could open the door for Lane Lambert and (if we have to replace both)/or a way to bring in Boughner to bring out the best in Ryan Ellis. Honestly w/ all of the players that ran the pipe through MIL, Lambert would make a lot of sense to promote to the NHL level; but having an original Pred w/ Junior level success w/ the system's blue chipper and a dash of NHL w/ C-Bus is pretty intriguing. I would think that Trotz will set the system overall but we REALLY need some frsh ideas for the power play/offensive zone.
Boughner, if he's going anywhere, is going to Detroit. His reasons for leaving had to do with family and Windsor team management and scheduling issues, and Detroit would be acceptable largely 'cause it's literally a drive across the river.

Heck, the only reason we had a shot at him at all was because he wanted to break into the NHL somehow and we're an hour-and-a-half/two hour drive away from Windsor. There'd been a lot of talk at the time about "an unexpected candidate that came out of nowhere"; it turned out he was it. If he finds that kind of drive to be too much, then Nashville's completely out of the question.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Good for him.

Nitrous Mafia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 02:46 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post
Good for him.
+1.
This should make the message long enough

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 02:47 PM
dulzhok

I don't really get how fans judge the performance of an assistant coach.

Sure, he's been involved with the PP, but have you seen the offensive ability of our forwards? Aint no one gonna make that unit a good PP unit with our "offensive firepower".

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 06:49 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Horachek takes the Dallas job, Sullivan retires and becomes an assistant?

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
I would have serious reservations about a player retiring and immediately joining the coaching staff in such a capacity. Sullivan is friends with the guys in the locker room, I'm just not sure he's going to be able to effectively communicate with the guys when discipline is needed. If he retired and worked as a consultant in a role such as Martin Gelinas has done, then there would be that separation that would allow him to establish credibility as a coach while still maintaining friendships and allow him to step into the role down the road.

Although the word was at the time Gelinas was hired that he wanted to remain in a consultant's role till his children were more grown up, I'd love to see him join the coaching staff this season if he's ready...

Old
06-02-2011, 06:56 PM
glenngineer

I think it's funny people still blame Horachek for the PP woes. He was taken off of PP duty and it became a committee approach and then last year, it was all on Trotz. So looking at it, we had 3 coaches that didn't know how to coach a PP. Bring in some new blood who know how to get it done with a man advantage. For as good as Trotz is 5 on 5, he sure sucks at the man advantage.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 08:12 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post

How about Dumont retires and becomes a peanut vendor?

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Bad Karma

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I would have serious reservations about a player retiring and immediately joining the coaching staff in such a capacity. Sullivan is friends with the guys in the locker room, I'm just not sure he's going to be able to effectively communicate with the guys when discipline is needed. If he retired and worked as a consultant in a role such as Martin Gelinas has done, then there would be that separation that would allow him to establish credibility as a coach while still maintaining friendships and allow him to step into the role down the road.

Although the word was at the time Gelinas was hired that he wanted to remain in a consultant's role till his children were more grown up, I'd love to see him join the coaching staff this season if he's ready...
Stu Barnes retired at the end of the 08 season, and filled Ulf Dahlen's spot on the Stars coaching staff the next season. It can be done.

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 08:38 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Karma View Post
Stu Barnes retired at the end of the 08 season, and filled Ulf Dahlen's spot on the Stars coaching staff the next season. It can be done.
Brent Peterson did it at the start of his career in Hartford too. It definitely can be done, but those two players were a different breed too. Sully still wants to play...

Old
06-02-2011, 11:05 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I think it's funny people still blame Horachek for the PP woes. He was taken off of PP duty and it became a committee approach and then last year, it was all on Trotz. So looking at it, we had 3 coaches that didn't know how to coach a PP. Bring in some new blood who know how to get it done with a man advantage. For as good as Trotz is 5 on 5, he sure sucks at the man advantage.
I don't think anyone actually blamed Horachek for the PP. I said something like "if we could replace both coaches and get a better PP out of it I'd be all for it" kind of in a "it's a big IF, but this is the only way I'd want to see this big of a shake up behind the bench right now" and dulz just said that he was involved in it, but then said that the players have more to do with it being bad than he or the coaches do. Was a post removed before I saw it?

Old
06-03-2011, 09:05 AM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears19 View Post
How about Dumont retires and becomes a peanut vendor?
Don't you think the fans want to get their peanuts faster than that?

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 10:25 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

i suspect it's all moot, since I think that of the candidates, he's the least likely to land the job.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 11:58 PM
Seth Lake

Horachek has been interviewed for the head coaching position in Minnesota as well...

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/123110713.html

Old
06-05-2011, 06:19 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I don't think anyone actually blamed Horachek for the PP.
Huh? A bunch of Predators fans blamed Horachek for the powerplay. Unforutunately it still stinks. Us fans who blamed Horacheck may be wrong.

I wish him well. He seems high quality. But I won't feel too bad if we get some new blood.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 09:17 AM
Seth Lake

While I don't find it interesting that neither position has been filled yet (most announcements of that magnitude come after the SCF's are over), I do find it interesting that Trotz mentioned Horachek's candidacy during the Lambert press conference on Thursday...

Personally, I think he's third on the radar for Dallas behind Kirk Muller and Glen Gulutzan, but it does sound like he had a good interview there and could be the darkhorse candidate for the position.

In Minnesota you obviously have the Leipold connection that will provide some sway, but there is a bigger pool of candidates that have been interviewed. Todd Richards bombed and they might be looking for someone with more experience, however instead of going for one of the retreads (Hitchcock, Therrien, MacTavish, etc) that they've already interviewed...I think Horachek might get serious consideration there as they look to build a winning atmosphere and maybe do a rebuild on the fly with a more aggressive forechecking system as the Predators employ.

Regardless, it's just something to keep an eye on. While our PP has been a long-standing issue, I think we are lucky to have a coaching staff lead by Trotz, with Horachek (who's currently drawing attention for a head coaching position) and Lambert (who's already on the radar and taking his next step towards a head coaching position) on the bench, Brent Peterson (who would've been a head coach long ago if not for his Parkinson's) in a yet to be defined role and Mitch Korn tending to our goalie's rounding out the staff.

While Peterson's role is undefined at the moment, I actually think it might work out very well for our team. Brent's body isn't allowing him to go out on the ice any longer, but his mind is as sharp as ever and last season he spent a lot of extra time in the video room breaking things down and also was able to sit back from running the drills on the ice and watch the practices to provide feedback that might not otherwise be noticed from the ice level. We now have a second head coach available to work on things that the staff never had time for or thought about but just never got to experiment. While he's not on the ice any longer, Brent Peterson will remain a key member of our coaching staff.

Just something to keep in the back of your mind as the SCF's wind down and a slew of announcements are set to begin. I think it'd be a great accomplishment for Coach Horachek and that Trotz would be able to quickly fill the void, but replacing both of our assistants on the bench in one summer would definitely make for some change...

Old
06-11-2011, 10:05 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

I don't see why horacek isn't a great candidate, esp for payroll conscience teams. he is on a staff that makes chicken salad out of chicken **** sometimes and wins.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote