HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

could montreal support another NHL Team?

View Poll Results: can the city of montreal support another franchise?
yes 31 31.00%
no 69 69.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-02-2011, 12:16 PM
Leaf Lander

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
could montreal support another NHL Team?

We have all heard rumors that Toronto wants a2nd NHL team because the hockey market is so large but I am thinking couldn't Montreal also handle another team?

so what doyou al lthink yeah or nay?

Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 12:20 PM
shiram

It probably could, but that would be pointless untill there is a team in Québec City.
It would be cool to have an AHL team in MTL though.

shiram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I'd say an AHL team and an NHL team in Quebec city.

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 12:22 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Only if the Habs were a super ****** perennial lottery team. Even then as soon as the Habs got good again the new teams fan base would disappear.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 12:23 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

Hells no. People are too in love with the Habs. Even if it was economically viable the new team would have a hard time winning over the hearts and minds of Habs fans.

The Gal Pals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 12:23 PM
Kriss E

Doubt it.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 12:24 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Don't think so. I wouldn't be a fan of another NHL team in Montreal.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 12:25 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Yes, but no.

bcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 12:26 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
Hells no. People are too in love with the Habs. Even if it was economically viable the new team would have a hard time winning over the hearts and minds of Habs fans.
This. The Habs have had way too much success to ever consider cheering for another team.

macavoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

I honestly can't see Montreal having the population or the corporate sponsorship to support two teams.

06-02-2011, 12:31 PM
LyricalLyricist

People exagerrate. If another Montreal team emerged, which it won't but let's say it does, I'd be interested and would visit a game. We may be Habs fans but young kids can be converted. Tickets will likely be cheaper and maybe a casual fan won't care and will want to experience a game. Not every Habs fan is hardcore.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 12:34 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Simple put, it would not happen. As mentioned you have the potential lack of corporate support, the fact the Habs would likely block it anyways, it would just never happen.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 12:36 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
People exagerrate. If another Montreal team emerged, which it won't but let's say it does, I'd be interested and would visit a game. We may be Habs fans but young kids can be converted. Tickets will likely be cheaper and maybe a casual fan won't care and will want to experience a game. Not every Habs fan is hardcore.
Casual fans can't support a hockey team. Teams are losing $30m a year with 13k attendance.

There is a reason why the NHL gave Winnipeg the drive for 13k tickets. You can't rely on merely casual fans, you need regular cash flow and money to support a hockey team.

Old
06-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

This city is so hockey mad, so yes, and the new generation of fans would probably be far more opened to it than most people think.

But the Habs would never agree to it.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

No need to have a 2nd team, I'm glad with one.

If there would be 2 teams, my guess would be Montreal Canadiens and Montreal Separatistes!?

Vanek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Casual fans can't support a hockey team. Teams are losing $30m a year with 13k attendance.

There is a reason why the NHL gave Winnipeg the drive for 13k tickets. You can't rely on merely casual fans, you need regular cash flow and money to support a hockey team.
Pretty sure that if it opened in Laval (GMA) there would be quite enough fans to fill it. And they would go. I don't know how many people you know around Mtl, but among the people I know, half are Habs fans, 1/4 don't give a damn about hockey, and the other 1/4 are either Nordiques fans recycled into Bruins, Pits or Was or Det fans, or have stayed Nords fans. All the new team would need is one out each 5 people you know, and there's plenty to go around IMO. The new team would easily have corporate backing, which is even more important than overall fan support.

Winnipeg's Metropolitain area is 750k... Montreal is 3,5 mil. Habs have almost 5 times the population support, and is probably the most hockey mad market in the league, along with TO, so the % out of 3,5 mil is without a doubt on par with Winnipeg if not higher, so that means that the Habs probably really have 5 times the potential fans than Winnipeg.

You're comparing apples to oranges.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 12:50 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horton18Horton View Post
I honestly can't see Montreal having the population or the corporate sponsorship to support two teams.
I presented a study by the University of Toronto saying exactly the opposite.

Toronto would be the best choice for another team, then Montreal, then South Ontario...

MTL-rules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 12:50 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post

I'm aware of that and there will be season ticket sales. You think every fan in the bell center isn't casual? A lot don't even know player names on the team. Yes were passionate and yes we have a lot of cups but a young kid may become a fan of a new mtl team very easily. Hell all it takes is his dad to bring him to a game. Considering other team will have cheaper and apparently unsold tickets...you figure it out. I have a friend who's a sens fan. Why? His first game as a kid was watching sens come and destroy Habs in our building. So he got an attraction for the sens, it happens. People like something to call their own, people like the idea of being original and some people would embrace the idea of a new team. I'm not arguing Habs allowing this or not. Not arguing corporate support either. I'm saying ppl will show up, I would go. I'd be curious. Not like I can hate a team with no history. My message was for those saying "Habs have too much success for fans to convert". If success mattered we should have every hockey fan on the planet. It helps attract ppl but let's be reasonable, 90% are Habs fans cuz were born in mtl and our team doesn't suck. Yes, we love them but others from here can like a new team in the area too. You know how many will jump Winnipeg bandwagon despite maybe being a fan of another team?

Last edited by LyricalLyricist: 06-02-2011 at 12:56 PM.
LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
This city is so hockey mad, so yes, and the new generation of fans would probably be far more opened to it than most people think.

It's possible, and you two bring up some good points. Usually though when a young kid becomes a fan for the first time, it's because they are either influenced by those around them. Or they are drawn to a team that is a winner, or has a Crosby or an Ovechkin.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 12:54 PM
neofury*

No but we could definitely support an AHL team especially if that team became our farm team instead of Hamilton. I know enough prospect junkies around here to know the place would be filled most nights

That all being said, no way we could support another NHL team. It isn't that we don't have the numbers for it and we do have a solid market, it's the fact that I just don't see other Montrealer's rooting for another team. If we were a huge city like NYC and we had two stadiums at opposite ends of the city maybe I could see it but I really doubt Montreal could support a second hockey team. The Expos I think would get by and an AHL team would likely flourish.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Of course it could, It already did once. The Maroons won 2 Stanley Cups & the population was 2 Million less than it is today.

The only problem now, is that the Habs have deep roots,, the 2nd team would have to be like an altar ego, all fighting!

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 12:56 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
No but we could definitely support an AHL team especially if that team became our farm team instead of Hamilton. I know enough prospect junkies around here to know the place would be filled most nights

That all being said, no way we could support another NHL team. It isn't that we don't have the numbers for it and we do have a solid market, it's the fact that I just don't see other Montrealer's rooting for another team. If we were a huge city like NYC and we had two stadiums at opposite ends of the city maybe I could see it but I really doubt Montreal could support a second hockey team. The Expos I think would get by and an AHL team would likely flourish.
That would fail unless Hamilton straight up moved their entire organization to Montreal. Hamilton does a great job developing our players and quite frankly in Montreal the AHL fans would demand wins and we'd end up with a poopy AHL squad that plays to win now, screw the NHL affiliate like the Chicago Wolves.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 12:57 PM
macavoy

Quote:
I'm aware of that and there will be season ticket sales. You think every fan I'm the bell center isn't casual? A lot don't even know player names on the team. Yes were passionate and yes we have a lot of cups but a young kid may become a fan of a new mtl team very easily. Hell all it takes is his dad to bring him to a game. Considering other team will have cheaper and apparently unsold tickets...you figure it out. I have a friend who's a sens fan. Why? His first game as a kid was watching sens come and destroy Habs in our building. So he got an attraction for the sens, it happens. People like something to call their own, people like the idea of being original and some people would embrace the idea of a new team. I'm not arguing Habs allowing this or not. Not arguing corporate support either. I'm saying ppl will show up, I would go. I'd be curious. Not like I can hate a team with no history. My message was for those saying "Habs have too much success for fans to convert". If success mattered we should have every hockey fan on the planet. It helps attract ppl but let's be reasonable, 90% are Habs fans cuz were born in mtl and our team doesn't suck. Yes, we love them but others from here can like a new team in the area too. You know how many will jump Winnipeg bandwagon despite maybe being a fan of another team?
I agree with you that I think people would show up. I just don't think there would be too many people willing to shell out $200m for a team in a city where you likely wouldn't be able to sell 10 000 season tickets.

The reason why Winnipeg will work with 15k people is because they have a higher ticket price than Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver and Ottawa.

If you have to drop your prices to get people in the building, then you need to sell out everynight or get at least 18k people.

It doesn't make sense from a business perspective imo. I don't think you'd get the STH's to shell out that kind of money for a team that they have no emotional involvement in. Also, you'd have to either play in the Bell Centre and let the Molson's make the money because nobody is going to invest $600m for a team and an arena when you don't have 10 000+ season ticket buyers.

It doesn't work from a financial perspective unless the Habs are allowed to own the team and have them play in their building.

Old
06-02-2011, 12:58 PM
MJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post

The city is not hockey mad. It is Habs mad.

MJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
Of course it could, It already did once. The Maroons won 2 Stanley Cups & the population was 2 Million less than it is today.

The only problem now, is that the Habs have deep roots,, the 2nd team would have to be like an altar ego, all fighting!
Yet they still had to close up shop due to the fact that the city could not support two teams.

Times have also changed, and there are a lot more factors involved besides how many people you can get to show up for your games.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote