HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Quebec City Arena at Risk?

Closed Thread

Old
06-02-2011, 05:07 PM
Player 61
#Winning

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
OT: Quebec City Arena at Risk?

Provincial politics. Lots of bickering at Le Capitale.

http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...b=MontrealHome

Old
06-02-2011, 05:10 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Just bust up the big wallet, Peladeau.

Aahh...

these tightwad billionaires

Old
06-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
Just bust up the big wallet, Peladeau.

Aahh...

these tightwad billionaires
Seems they are realizing that Quebecor is getting to sweet a deal.

Old
06-02-2011, 05:18 PM
Garo

Good. Hopefully Khadir will do the right thing... Maybe the first time we agree on something.

Old
06-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
Good. Hopefully Khadir will do the right thing... Maybe the first time we agree on something.
Really something eh! Guys don't just read, also click the video link on the right, The reporter "Kai Nagata" explains the issues very well.

Edit: Seems they have 1 week to iron out the issues or the whole project can be turfed.

Last edited by Player 61: 06-02-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old
06-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

vCash: 915
Even if they did build it... would 13,000 people sign up for 5 years season tickets plans?

Old
06-02-2011, 06:13 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Even if they did build it... would 13,000 people sign up for 5 years season tickets plans?
I'll try to find the link later, but there was a comparison. Winnipeg at least has the richest guy in Canada owning it & Q-City barely has 15 or less Multi-Million dollar companies.

One thing that helps Winnipeg is it's Manitoba's City, Q-City is engulfed by Montreal Provincially, Corporations rather spend it's add dollars on the bigger market. I wish them well, but hell, I'm not paying for it! Quebec City have to find a way to do it themselves. This is Peledeau's/Quebecor's baby, not Montreal's tax payers.

Last edited by Player 61: 06-02-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old
06-03-2011, 05:24 AM
DDIHH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
Good. Hopefully Khadir will do the right left thing... Maybe the first time we agree on something.
fixed

Old
06-03-2011, 05:28 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
The accountant they quite in the article does not sound very bright...or at the very least should learn to use a better argument. Just because Quebecor would pay more then in Anaheim and Pittsburgh does not make it a good deal, is not as bad a deal as the governments in those cities god...

Quote:
Furthermore, Bédard says he ran a comparison between the Quebecor agreement and the ones in place in Pittsburgh and Anaheim, two NHL cities which recently opened new arenas financed 100 per cent by public funds.

He says the $9.3 million Quebecor would pay annually for the naming rights and rent is higher than the $8.5 million paid by the Penguins and Consol Energy in Pittsburgh and the $5.5 million paid by the Ducks and Honda in Anaheim.

"This is why I can't understand how people can say the city made a bad deal with Quebecor," Bédard said.

Old
06-03-2011, 07:17 AM
BLONG7

Tax payers should never be on the hook for pro sports, let the big business boys spend their money to get this off the ground...

Old
06-03-2011, 07:56 AM
neofury*

Why should my tax dollars go to an arena that I'll never even use once in a city I never go to? So that Quebecor can make money at the expense of me and my government? **** that, let Quebecor front all the money, they are the ones who will be making all of it and no I don't care about the tax revenues that after 30 years will balance out what the government will have paid out for this venue.

I want a team in Quebec City I really do. It will be good for hockey in Canada and it would add a new rival for the habs. I always liked the Nordiques not that I wished them well but I just loved Habs vs Nords! But I don't want them building this arena and getting this team with my tax dollars. Quebecor and other companies can pool together to get it done they just don't want to because they know the QC government is stupid and will give up the money and/or try to put pressure on the Canadian government to put the money up. Either way it's stupid and I think they shouldn't pay a cent of it. If the people of Quebec really want to have a team and an ownership group feels they can make a profit off it they should be the ones investing that type of coin not the tax payers.

Haven't the tax payers of Quebec already done enough? We keep half the province employed as a result of the taxes already in place. Has Canada not paid enough billions into Quebec year upon year as a result of this? It's a god damn joke. This arena should never take one cent of tax dollars, Quebecor should pay this **** on their own if they want the darn arena.

Old
06-03-2011, 07:57 AM
Not The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Tax payers should never be on the hook for pro sports, let the big business boys spend their money to get this off the ground...
Who paid/is paying for the Olympic Stadium, Palais des congrès, Place des arts, Salle de l'OSM, Musée des Beaux arts renovations, la promenade Samuel-de-Champlain, or le Quartier des spectacles?

Ironically, they would attract far less criticism if the arena had no chance of ever making money. And I think Khadir is totally out of line on this. What right does he have as a single representative for Mercier to block a Québec project that has massive approval from the population there? He's totally looking to get his name in the papers at the expense of a potentially profitable infrastructure project.

I went to the Colisée for the first time this preseason for the game against the Islanders and it does need to be replaced urgently.

Old
06-03-2011, 08:29 AM
Not The One

According to Le Soleil, the arena deal is now officially saved (in french).

Old
06-03-2011, 08:40 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
This is getting closed, no political discussion on here.

Closed Thread