HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Mike Richards the Answer to the third line problem?

Old
06-02-2011, 04:49 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
All this talk of Richards and the revolving door of wingers he's had makes me realize just how much Richards and Lupul were a great duo for each other. Lupul's first year in Philly he was teamed up with Richie and they were excellent. I'll still never understand why John Stevens broke that duo up......

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 04:58 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Yes, if we trade Richards we can easily assemble a good 3rd line with the pieces we receive

06-02-2011, 05:17 PM
VanSciver

In my opinion the idea of two scoring lines, a checking line, and a energy 4th line is archaic. Atleast 3 lines need to be able to play two way Hockey and match up against anyone, with a solid energy 4th line mixed in. Today's NHL is about puck pressure and a strong forecheck, backed up by sound team defense, and good goaltending. If you want to win the Cup, you need strong play from 3 lines.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 05:58 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
In my opinion the idea of two scoring lines, a checking line, and a energy 4th line is archaic. Atleast 3 lines need to be able to play two way Hockey and match up against anyone, with a solid energy 4th line mixed in. Today's NHL is about puck pressure and a strong forecheck, backed up by sound team defense, and good goaltending. If you want to win the Cup, you need strong play from 3 lines.
It isn't even close to archaic. There are tons of teams that are using it right now with success. NJ did it for years. The pens use Staal as a shutdown player and it works.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 06:04 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
It isn't even close to archaic. There are tons of teams that are using it right now with success. NJ did it for years. The pens use Staal as a shutdown player and it works.
The Pens if they can will try and use that matchup on other teams top lines. But it's not always possible especially when you don't have last change. All 4 of your lines had better be able to play defensively if you expect to be a top team. Both NJ and the Pens use defensive first systems and team defense, and don't rely on just one line to check.

Last edited by VanSciver: 06-02-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old
06-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

There aren't FAs that can center a third line and are cheap?

Can we pump Dowd full of HGH and sign him for 500k?

Richards is less effective than his ceiling is given his linemates, I think, is the real complaint.

As a fan, I want to see Richards given more opportunity to scorch people on both ends of the ice.

I know that maybe unrealistic, but it's an emotional appeal. heh.

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 06:32 PM
BrindamoursNose

Richards is the 3rd line center. I just accept it.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
Quote:
I think it's just that both set-ups can work. Flyers and Blackhawks both had the first basic setup. This year, the Canucks and Bruins seem to do best when they have the second.

There can be more than one philosophy that works.

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 06:37 PM
Flyerfan808

I've never seen a problem with rolling 3 scoring lines. I'd much rather keep Richards as a playmaking, two-way center.

If you want a shutdown line. I'd say that it should be our fourth line.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 09:16 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
I've never seen a problem with rolling 3 scoring lines. I'd much rather keep Richards as a playmaking, two-way center.

I agree. You need 3 two way lines.

Old
06-02-2011, 09:44 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
That can be hard to do when you just shot any potential the 4th line had with a ****ing shotgun by duct taping Jody Shelley on it. His contract would survive on the 4th line through a god damn nuclear holocaust.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 09:47 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
We have a third line problem?

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 10:31 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Of course, along with some question marks around the first and second lines, holes to fill on the fourth line, serious issues at defense, dilemmas with the captaincy, an enigma in nets, and a paradox in the front office. Haven't you been reading the threads?

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 10:36 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Of course, along with some question marks around the first and second lines, holes to fill on the fourth line, serious issues at defense, dilemmas with the captaincy, an enigma in nets, and a paradox in the front office. Haven't you been reading the threads?
I'd say that the only place we're actually ahead of the game is in the quality of our reporting.

We would never have known about all these significant problems had the staff reporting these things through the mass media been more concerned with the actual play on the ice instead of our players' horrendous offseason habits.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 10:48 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I'd say that the only place we're actually ahead of the game is in the quality of our reporting.

We would never have known about all these significant problems had the staff reporting these things through the mass media been more concerned with the actual play on the ice instead of our players' horrendous offseason habits.
Touché.

Oh, and the medical staff bites.

Old
06-02-2011, 11:27 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Touché.

Oh, and the medical staff bites.
So that's why they got Hartnell...

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 06:43 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Let me put it this way. How many goals have the flyers given up in the last minute of the game, because they couldn't close it out, win a faceoff and dump the puck down the other end?

Even though we roll three "attacking" lines, we also seem to have a scoring slump. How thats even possible with Briere, Carter, Richards and giroux who are all near a ppg( or were at some point) is amazing.

We lack any kind of physical edge too, something that two years ago, the team was built on.

By the way, I love the sarcastic comments when you actually try to make an informed post. Shafer you really make me laugh.......

Old
06-03-2011, 07:13 AM
decadentia

Is Zeus still a UFA?

I'd love to have that guy back. And while we're dreamin', cheaply.

I honestly wouldn't mind if we went back to a typical format with a true 3rd checking line, just kind of hard at this point.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 09:06 AM
BernieParent

One potentially cheap addition to an excellent two-way line with Richards - Versteeg, if Montreal is stupid enough to let him go, is Mathieu Darche. This guy took forever to get to the NHL and plays his heart out every shift. 26 points in 59 games last year.

Old
06-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Is Zeus still a UFA?

I'd love to have that guy back. And while we're dreamin', cheaply.

I honestly wouldn't mind if we went back to a typical format with a true 3rd checking line, just kind of hard at this point.
Zeus by all accords from LA fans didn't have a great year. Looks sluggish and slower than usual. He was terrible in the play-offs

Old
06-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Let me put it this way. How many goals have the flyers given up in the last minute of the game, because they couldn't close it out, win a faceoff and dump the puck down the other end?

Even though we roll three "attacking" lines, we also seem to have a scoring slump. How thats even possible with Briere, Carter, Richards and giroux who are all near a ppg( or were at some point) is amazing.

We lack any kind of physical edge too, something that two years ago, the team was built on.

By the way, I love the sarcastic comments when you actually try to make an informed post. Shafer you really make me laugh.......
I wasn't trying to be sarcastic in a biting, rude way really, just jovial and concise.

Re: the scoring slump, the whole team played like ass for a good little while there, but if you look at the season as a whole they did score a lot of goals. More than average. There was also Tim Thomas and Ryan Miller in nets for the play-offs which doesn't help. Though they did score a lot on Miller, god knows they needed to to have a chance of winning.

And the physical edge was there in the first part of the year, but you're right, they certainly lost it. I don't know that it's a personnel issue though.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote