HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Losing Gelinas and Nimo will it hurt us?

Closed Thread

Old
08-15-2005, 02:44 AM
PapaBear*

vCash: 500

I just watched game 7 and come this years playoff time, will we miss having the clutch of Gelinas? How about Nimo, one of the best pests with good offensive skills - can McCarty fill Nimos shoes?

Old
08-15-2005, 04:20 AM
ComixZone

I would have liked to keep Ville, but overall - we are a better team up-front (and on D) than we were last year.

Old
08-15-2005, 08:37 AM
abracanada

I would have to agree with that. Niemo would have likely been utilized on the fourth line on this squad, and I suspect, consequently, that he would have been overpaid there. Man, this depth thing is a ***** aint it?

Old
08-15-2005, 09:45 AM
Hunter74

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBear
I just watched game 7 and come this years playoff time, will we miss having the clutch of Gelinas? How about Nimo, one of the best pests with good offensive skills - can McCarty fill Nimos shoes?

Didn't Gelinas score all his goals off of Iginla chances? Meaning Iginla was the one who created the scoring opportunity in the first place and Gelinas just had enough skill to be in the right place at the right time and put the puck in the net. I am not trivializing what he did b/c being able to score on those opportunities isn't something every player can do. Right Clark.

What I am getting at is we can easily replace Gelinas with another body b/c he wasn't the one who is creating the chances it was Iginla. All we need is a player who is smart enough to go to the net like Sutter tells everyone and have enough of a soft touch to be able to put the biscuit in the basket.

What I would miss about gelinas is the speed he brings to the club when he has the juice to use it. Our team speed has been downgraded in this year with the lose of Gelinas, Saprykin and Clark. Considering we replaced them with average skaters in McCarty and Wiemer. Amonte helps ease the lose but its still a lose. If Nystrom makes the team it will be ok since he is a speedster aswell.

Old
08-15-2005, 08:32 PM
chriss_co

I agree with the loss of team speed too, Hunter. But Sutter still says publicly that this is a fast team so i guess its alright that he agrees that speed is important.

Nonetheless, just wanted to say that the loss of Gelinas and Nemo won't hurt in the regular season because we have more than upgraded on those positions. However, the loss will be felt to a degree in the playoffs if no one can step up to fill those positions. What Gelinas did as the eliminator is hall of fame material... there aren't very many that can repeatedly in the playoffs score such huge goals. Nemo's game was impeccable in the playoffs and i hope someone steps up to fill his energy/grinder role

Old
08-22-2005, 10:37 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hunter74
Didn't Gelinas score all his goals off of Iginla chances?
Hate to borst your bubble but Gelinas was huge for the Oilers, then the Nucks, then the Canes in their runs... and you think he was just a gomer that fed off Iginla?

I think you need to learn a bit more about players like Gelinas.

Old
08-22-2005, 11:29 AM
Resolute

Gelinas certantly had the knack for being in the right place at the right time against Vancouver and Detroit, but yes, he is replacable, and yes, we did replace him. That said, he will always be fondly remembered in Calgary.

Old
08-22-2005, 11:48 AM
Sec of Partying Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan
Hate to borst your bubble but Gelinas was huge for the Oilers, then the Nucks, then the Canes in their runs... and you think he was just a gomer that fed off Iginla?

I think you need to learn a bit more about players like Gelinas.
That's really not what he said at all. The fact is, all of his GWG were off Iginla chances. Gelinas did come up huge to score those goals, but it was Iginla who was the force behind it all. Gelinas is a good 50 point player that decided to go elsewhere for a better deal. He will be missed but he can be replaced.

Clutch is an overrated skill in the NHL, IMO. Remember, Chris Drury is Mr. Clutch.

Last edited by Sec of Partying Down: 08-22-2005 at 12:21 PM. Reason: grammar farts
Old
08-22-2005, 12:20 PM
ryz

Amonte and McCarty are upgrades to both players. We are stronger now.

Old
08-22-2005, 02:28 PM
abracanada

McCarty goes at about 220 pounds and is tough as nails. I liked Nieminen a lot, but I like McCarty even better. I think McCarty is a team guy, can control his temper, and won't get suckered into penalties the way Niemo would. Niemo was great but maybe a little too volatile.

Amonte, has an upside which is much greater than Gelinas. I liked Gelinas too, and I know we may miss the goals at key times, but I don't think he would have been able to break out the way Amonte could. This is a guy who has scored 44 goals in the past. He played for Sutter when he put up the best numbers of his life. With the new look NHL, playing under Sutter, who uses his talent very effectively, he may have a few good years left. Sutter seems to think so, or else he wouldn't have recruited him. On this matter, I am going to trust Sutter's judgement.

Old
08-22-2005, 02:48 PM
Body Checker

I thought we lost speed too but if you look at our roster here goes:

RW Donovan - very fast
Iginla - fast
Kobasew - fast
McCarty - average

C - Langkow - fast
Reinprecht - fast
Yelle - not fast but above average
Lombardi - very fast

LW - Amonte - fast
Nilson - above average
Simon - below average
Weimer - average

Defense - Warrener and Regehr are average. Hamrlik and Leopold are good skaters. Lydman, Montador and Ference are fast. Phaneuf I am not sure but rate him as good.

Gelinas and Clark could fly. We were the fastest team at RW but traded Clark. McCarty is still an upgrade though ( tougher and better defensively). And give Sutter credit he did want Gelinas back and did offer McCammond a deal but both left for more money. Would have liked to seen Niemenen back. I wonder if Clark and Niemenen were let go because of their penchant for bone headed penalties. They hurt us in alot of ways. Our penalty killing might be better by just getting rid of those two guys.

Old
08-22-2005, 09:36 PM
chriss_co

I would change a few to:

Iggy - above average
Langkow - average
Reinprecht - above average
Nilson - average to below
Simon - slow
Weimer - below average to slow

Old
08-22-2005, 09:39 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss_co
I would change a few to:

Iggy - above average
Langkow - average
Reinprecht - above average
Nilson - average to below
Simon - slow
Weimer - below average to slow
I agree mostly CC, but I'd say Nilson is average to above IMO, he can move out there, you would have to be to keep up with Nieminen and especially Donovan.

Old
08-23-2005, 12:00 AM
Phanuthier*

Niemenen - no loss. Nothing special, a fun guy to cheer for, but a boarderline NHL player anyways.

Gelinas - I was hoping to keep him around in a Dave Lowry role, but I guess that didn't work out. No big loss, he wasn't much help in the regular season, and outside of his OT goals, he really seemed invisible IMO - at least for what he was labelled as during the playoffs.

If you ask me, the biggest loss is Chris Clark. His speed and tenacious forcheck created alot of turnovers and scoring chances striaght off the turnover. That part, I will really miss.

Closed Thread