HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Gormley piece: Carle v. Leino?

Old
06-02-2011, 10:30 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Unless we are getting something similar to a 1st and a 3rd back for Versteeg, there's no point trading him now. No GM is going to give that if Homer offers him, they will probably try to lowball him because of his recent performance. I'd rather keep him and hope he raises his value by playing better.

edit: As for GMs knowing better than to look at small sample sizes...one need look no further than Leighton's or Shelley's contracts to realize that isn't always the case.
Disagree. IF it would guarantee that we could get Vokoun or Brzygalov signed, I'd friggin' waive Versteeg goodbye for nothing. You trade a 1st and a 3rd for your starting goalie.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 10:43 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Disagree. IF it would guarantee that we could get Vokoun or Brzygalov signed, I'd friggin' waive Versteeg goodbye for nothing. You trade a 1st and a 3rd for your starting goalie.
If Versteeg is all that stands between us and a goalie, yeah, get him the hell out of here. I don't think he is, though.

06-03-2011, 01:42 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
Cool, because Carle Cap hit is very reasonable for a player of his caliber, and he's reliable in his own end. Versteeg has value in a trade.
maybe we dont want to trade Versteeg for the same reasons you dont want to see a certian defenseman traded
Right now Versteeg's trade value is low. he didnt play well when he was here, and he was hurt. Maybe the 2 are related who the hell knows, but right now it would be foolish to trade Versteeg given his current trade value. Yeah he won a cup. GMs only worry about the here and now and right now his trade value is low.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 07:27 AM
VanSciver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
maybe we dont want to trade Versteeg for the same reasons you dont want to see a certian defenseman traded
Right now Versteeg's trade value is low. he didnt play well when he was here, and he was hurt. Maybe the 2 are related who the hell knows, but right now it would be foolish to trade Versteeg given his current trade value. Yeah he won a cup. GMs only worry about the here and now and right now his trade value is low.
I don't neccesarily want to teade Versteeg either. I'd like to keep him. I'd like to keep everyone. But it's likely not possible. I think Versteeg has more trade value than people think. And if I have to choose between a 15 minute a game support Winger versus a 20 plus minute top 4 D man to trade, I'm keeping the D man. It's a far more important position to a team.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 07:28 AM
VanSciver

Quote:

Good point Larry.

Old
06-03-2011, 07:31 AM
VanSciver

Quote:
Unless we are getting something similar to a 1st and a 3rd back for Versteeg, there's no point trading him now. No GM is going to give that if Homer offers him, they will probably try to lowball him because of his recent performance. I'd rather keep him and hope he raises his value by playing better.

edit: As for GMs knowing better than to look at small sample sizes...one need look no further than Leighton's or Shelley's contracts to realize that isn't always the case.
Your talking about a Goalie who's basically had a cup of Coffee in the NHL and has mostly been an AHL journeyman, and a 4th line low minute enforcer, compared to a solid young talented Forward who's already been a key peice on a Cup team. HArdly the same situation.

If trading Versteeg for whatever we can get allows us to upgrade the goaltender spot, Thanks V for the time.

Old
06-03-2011, 09:17 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
If Versteeg is all that stands between us and a goalie, yeah, get him the hell out of here. I don't think he is, though.
Probably not, and I'm sure we could get something out of him, rather than waiving him, I'm just not as worried about getting return on the original deal. That's in the past.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at the mgmt meetings now.

What DO we do?

Which goalie?
How much can we play him vs. how much does he want?
Who do we give up to get him?

If we sign Pascal Leclaire, we're dead.

Old
06-03-2011, 09:31 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
I don't neccesarily want to teade Versteeg either. I'd like to keep him. I'd like to keep everyone. But it's likely not possible. I think Versteeg has more trade value than people think. And if I have to choose between a 15 minute a game support Winger versus a 20 plus minute top 4 D man to trade, I'm keeping the D man. It's a far more important position to a team.
This is key. We know we can make it to the Finals with Carle in the top 4. If we deal him, will Meszaros be the right guy to play with Pronger, or play Kimmo with Pronger and Coburn/Mez?

Briere moving back to RW can fill in for Leino. One of the kids is going to have to fill in for Versteeg, if he's dealt. Or a cheap UFA like Kobasew or someone bigger if possible.

They can keep most of the team by signing Giguere or Leclaire cheaply. Would that make people here happy? Unlikely.

Somebody's going to have to go.

Old
06-03-2011, 10:16 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Probably not, and I'm sure we could get something out of him, rather than waiving him, I'm just not as worried about getting return on the original deal. That's in the past.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at the mgmt meetings now.

What DO we do?

Which goalie?
How much can we play him vs. how much does he want?
Who do we give up to get him?

If we sign Pascal Leclaire, we're dead.
"Hey guys, remember that Houle guy? What's he up to? MAN, this goalie thing is hard. Let's just sign Brashear and be done with it."

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 10:17 AM
VanSciver

Quote:
This is key. We know we can make it to the Finals with Carle in the top 4. If we deal him, will Meszaros be the right guy to play with Pronger, or play Kimmo with Pronger and Coburn/Mez?

Briere moving back to RW can fill in for Leino. One of the kids is going to have to fill in for Versteeg, if he's dealt. Or a cheap UFA like Kobasew or someone bigger if possible.

They can keep most of the team by signing Giguere or Leclaire cheaply. Would that make people here happy? Unlikely.

Somebody's going to have to go.
I have full confidence in Meszaros. I see him getting better and better. We need to keep that depth for now and going forward, with two 37 year old defensmen on the roster.