HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Realigned!!! [3/7 update: CHI - COL - DAL - MIN - NSH - STL - WPG; NHLPA approves]

Old
05-31-2011, 03:12 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

vCash: 500
Also, do we actually have it from a reliable source that WPG is staying in the SE? It seems horribly inefficient, and with how long this deal's been in the works I'd be pretty shocked if the NHL hasn't planned ahead for this.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 03:19 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Also, do we actually have it from a reliable source that WPG is staying in the SE? It seems horribly inefficient, and with how long this deal's been in the works I'd be pretty shocked if the NHL hasn't planned ahead for this.
Seen plenty of reliable folks tweet it and it's what Russo has.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 03:24 PM
Fel 96
Global Moderator
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Yup, it's been confirmed for awhile now. That's why I keep saying for weeks it will be tough for them next season.

EDIT: In Canada at least.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 03:36 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Yup, it's been confirmed for awhile now. That's why I keep saying for weeks it will be tough for them next season.

EDIT: In Canada at least.
To be honestly I can understand why they are waiting a year. They are still waiting to see what happens with Phoenix I believe and why make two realignments when one would suffice it and you can just do it all at once? That and I know there has always been talk that Detroit was informally promised to be the first WC team to move out East due to the Eastern Time Zone. However, it makes a lot more sense for Nashville to move to the East. But if two teams go out East from the West, you could be talking a dramatic shift in the divisions.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 09:25 PM
sushinsky4tsar

I wish they would just go ahead and realign for the season. Is it really that big of a deal if you have to bump the Wild back to the NW again in 12-13 following a Yotes move to KC/QUE? At least we would get to see some different teams for the year.

And what a way to get things off to a flying start in Winnipeg. Yeah, you're getting your getting your team back. So you won't mind if you play 12 games against teams from Florida and 1 each against Calgary, Edmonton, & Vancouver, right?

Heck, if Columbus doesn't want to flip flop, I would volunteer the Wild for a one year tour of the SE. Three chances to see Ovechkin. Travel wouldn't be much worse.

sushinsky4tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 09:32 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushinsky4tsar View Post
I wish they would just go ahead and realign for the season. Is it really that big of a deal if you have to bump the Wild back to the NW again in 12-13 following a Yotes move to KC/QUE? At least we would get to see some different teams for the year.

And what a way to get things off to a flying start in Winnipeg. Yeah, you're getting your getting your team back. So you won't mind if you play 12 games against teams from Florida and 1 each against Calgary, Edmonton, & Vancouver, right?

Heck, if Columbus doesn't want to flip flop, I would volunteer the Wild for a one year tour of the SE. Three chances to see Ovechkin. Travel wouldn't be much worse.
From Mapquest:
St. Paul to Sunrise, Florida: 1740 miles
St. Paul to Vancouver: 1746 miles

Just sayin'.

Old
05-31-2011, 10:32 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Actually Vancouver is closer in terms of flight miles:

Minneapolis to Miami: 1518mi
Minneapolis to Vancouver: 1416mi

Still only a difference of 100mi, though.

Old
06-01-2011, 09:56 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Language Warning

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 11:28 PM
HF007
In Roy we Trust

I'm really glad you wild fans are embracing the thought of moving too the central.
As an Avs the only team that really worries me in the division is the nucks.

HF007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 11:44 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

We've wanted to be in the Central even before we were tossed into the NW. We never belonged in the NW division in the first place.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 12:09 AM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashanesh View Post
I'm not the least bit concerned. Most hockey fans that far north care about college and high school if they care about hockey. The NHL is secondary when you've got great, competitive hockey right at your doorstep.

I really doubt there's a sizable chunk of Wild fans in Fargo anyway, at least not enough to make our ownership do something rash just to keep them happy.
I believe that North Dakota/Northern Minnesota will have ties to the Winnipeg team. The schools in these regions have historically drawn players from Manitoba - UND has repeatedly recruited players from the province for many years. UND has in place a program that allows Manitoba residents to attend the university at a lowered international cost which has resulted in a strong Canadian presence in the university. This is typical of many of the northern schools.

Will this create a rivalry between the Wild and Winnipeg Whatevers? Who knows. But as has been witnessed by the attendance to university hockey by Canadian fans (refer to the World Juniors in Grand Forks and the ticket sales from Manitoba) to the northern schools I believe you will see a possible alignment with these cities with the Winnipeg club.

I am hoping you stay - sorry. It may be the only way I am able to watch the Winnipeg club play based on the sale of season tickets by TSNE!

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 12:56 AM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
You know what? A Winnipeg/Minnesota rivalry might be awesome given the close distance.
I am hoping for this to happen. We will have to play in the SE for the first year, and that is fine. But once we move into the NW, things will be a lot different. Yes, we will be playing with mostly Canadian teams, but deep down I want to develop a great rivalry with the Wild. They are by far the closest team to us, abut a 6.5 to seven hour drive away verses 12-13 hours to Calgary/Edmonton from Winnipeg. Plus it would give me a chance to get down to the Twin Cities for often for weekend getaways (Grand Forks sucks and Fargo is barely any better in terms of entertainment/shopping). I love the Twin Cities (one of my fav American cities), so this would be perfect for me.

BTW, how easy is it for non-season tickets holders to purchase Wild tickets? Are they easy to get an hour before the game? Do you need to reserve them weeks/months in advance due to games selling out? Just curious because I know up here they will be virtually impossible to get

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 01:00 AM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Nothing against those teams but it's a ***** of a roadtrip and none of them care about us.
This isn't as true as you might think. Of all four teams, Winnipeg fans would care the most. Why? See my post above.

I believe Winnipeg and Minnesota belong in the same division, even moreso than Winnipeg and the other three western Canadian teams.

Old
06-03-2011, 01:15 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg Guy View Post
BTW, how easy is it for non-season tickets holders to purchase Wild tickets? Are they easy to get an hour before the game? Do you need to reserve them weeks/months in advance due to games selling out? Just curious because I know up here they will be virtually impossible to get
Last year we actually had non-sellouts. If it's a particularly well-attended game, you'll wanna get them ahead of time, but there aren't really any games (except maybe the home opener, and maaaaaybe the last home game) that you absolutely just can't get tickets to. Ticket prices on the TicketExchange (STH resale site) are usually pretty reasonable, too.

Old
06-03-2011, 05:36 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Logically

1. Winnipeg belongs in the NW, which they join.
2. That creates a surplus in the NW, and a shortage in the SE.
3. The most logical choice to join the SE: Nashville, being in the old south as they are. That creates a vacancy in the Central.
4. The least NW team in the NW is Minnesota, who then fill the void left by Nashville.

That would be the logical approach in geographic terms, and seeing as the NHL divisions are geographic, there you go.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 02:09 AM
blueandgoldguy

I wouldn't mind going to see the Winnipeg whatevers play the Wild through one of the numerous Winnipeg sports tour groups that buses it down there for NFL, NBA, MLB and NBA games. I've done this quite a few times and enjoyed it. With Winnipeg back in the league, I hope the tour groups offer an NHL game between the Minnesota and Winnipeg on a Friday or Saturday, followed by the Vikes on a Sunday should the schedule allow for it. That would be sweet!

Luv coming to the Twin Cities. Hope they finalize the deal for the new dome shortly!

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 03:09 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

I need to sit down with a map and draw some distance lines (on the computer of course), but I really see Dallas horribly screwed no matter how you look at it. Do I care?

Not really...

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 03:17 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

There is no "good" answer for Dallas no matter how you break it down. Why should that stop good answers for other teams where there obviously are some?

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Avder
Is only game.

There's a really good answer for Dallas.

Move the team somewhere else Then we don't even have to listen to this malarkey about Dallas possibly getting moved to the Central instead of us.

I wonder if the other teams in the SE are raising a stink at all about having to travel to Winnipeg three times each next year. They should! Anything that makes it remotely possible for them to realign this year instead of next is a good thing.

And wouldn't it just be hilarious if somehow Winnipeg pulled a SFC run out of its ass next year and faced some team from the Central Division? The Western Conference team would be much further east than the Eastern one.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 12:20 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Maybe I'm just being selfish, but I really don't want to be in the same division as the Thrashers, Edmonton, Colorado, and Vancouver.

The Thrashers are a good, young team with a great young goalie. They were LEADING the SE division for the first half of last year until something happened and the wheels fell off their wagon.

Edmonton has maybe one more year out of the play-offs. After that? They are going to be frigging awesome.

Colorado? Same deal. They over achieved last season, squeaking into the 8th seed, but with yet one more top 5 draft pick? Damn.

Vancouver? Their window is now and they have that roster locked up (for the most part) for years and years...

Calgary is about the only team currently in the NW which doesn't have teeth.

And then you look at the Central division... Chicago? Once they get their cap situation figured out and Crawford improves, they are still going to be a force. St. Louis? Has anyone else taken a look at that roster? If healthy, that roster is going to be giving Chicago a run for their money. Nashville will probably miss the post season next year. Columbus... Meh. Detroit? Aging and Howard just isn't that good.

I haz long term concerns...

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 12:42 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Well, MTS Centre is basically sold out for the next three years. It may be harder to road trip up for a game than I realized.

Old
06-04-2011, 01:18 PM
buyinnow

Quote:
Last year we actually had non-sellouts. If it's a particularly well-attended game, you'll wanna get them ahead of time, but there aren't really any games (except maybe the home opener, and maaaaaybe the last home game) that you absolutely just can't get tickets to. Ticket prices on the TicketExchange (STH resale site) are usually pretty reasonable, too.
I missed out on getting tickets today. I'll definately be making some road trips to watch wild vs wpg. I hope Wpg gets a weekend date in MIn. It's been too long since I've visited seeing I love going there. Infact I wish we could trade Ontario for Minnesota.

buyinnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 03:02 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Actually Vancouver is closer in terms of flight miles:

Minneapolis to Miami: 1518mi
Minneapolis to Vancouver: 1416mi

Still only a difference of 100mi, though.
Either way that's still sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg Guy View Post
This isn't as true as you might think. Of all four teams, Winnipeg fans would care the most. Why? See my post above.

I believe Winnipeg and Minnesota belong in the same division, even moreso than Winnipeg and the other three western Canadian teams.
You might be the first person who has expressed this opinion. I am touched though because it sucks being the black sheep of the division.

Quote:
Well, MTS Centre is basically sold out for the next three years. It may be harder to road trip up for a game than I realized.
There's always a secondary market.

Old
06-05-2011, 10:38 AM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
You might be the first person who has expressed this opinion. I am touched though because it sucks being the black sheep of the division.
I think you are being a bit hard on yourself. I don't think Winnipeggers ever really considered Minnesota as a "black sheep". Maybe Vancouver, but not Winnipeg. I and many others up here have always had a soft spot for the Twin Cities. You guys are our closest major city, be it American or Canadian. Lots of Winnipeggers head down to the Twin Cities for a weekend as it's only 6.5-7 hours away. Lots of Winnipeggers cheer for the Vikings as their "home" NFL team. Not sure about MLB or NBA though, but you do give us the ability to see the "big 4" sports teams within a short driving range. There are very few Canadian cities that have this kind of easy "big 4" access, by car at least. You guys are like our favorite big brother that we can come and visit in college on the weekends.

Believe me, we love the Twin Cities up in Winnipeg and we WANT to be in the same division with you and develop a rivalry with you and with the other Canadian teams.

Go Jets/Wild Go!!!

Last edited by Puckschmuck*: 06-05-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old
06-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Avder
Is only game.

Okay, well, is there anyway we can be in a Division with the Jets and NOT be in a division with Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver?

I like the idea of a geographical rivalry with Winnipeg, I really do. I live in Fargo-Moorhead, so I'm about the same distance between both teams. But I don't like the idea of being the only US team in a Canadian Division.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote