HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Richards

Old
06-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Player 61
#Winning

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
:Fade in:

From the fiction writer that brought you "LeBron James to the Knicks a done deal." and "Semin Traded to the Islanders."

. . .

This summer . . . the monster returns in:

"Brad Richards to Toronto pending league approval."

An *************** production.
Funny or smoke induced, the NHL is the league with the worst mistakes... I.E. Yashin & Di Pietro, maybe just the Islanders, I don't want Montreal to fall in that hole!

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 09:51 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I'm not altogether convinced it's a good strategy to overpay Richards 3 million over 6-7 years rather than continue to overpay Gomez 3 million over up to 3.
I went to look at some stats and I'm surprised to see how correct you are.

---- Gomez Richards
G.P........ 864......772
Goals..... 167......220
Ass........ 508......496
Points..... 675.....716
+/-......... 46 ......-72

The only thing that Richards has in his favour is that his numbers are consistent over the years but Gomez has been in a slide downward for the last few years.

But aside from that they have pretty similar numbers.

Now I either have to re-evaluate Gomez's worth and admit I was wrong. He's a better player than I thought

or come to the conclusion that Richards is not as good as I thought.

I think I'll go with option 2.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

I think its time for Dallas to give us Richard's right as a payback for Ribeiro/Niinimaa deal .

Honestly, I'd really be pleased with having Richards locked long term. Then we could try to trade Gomez to a team like Florida who wants to get to the Cap floor or send him to Hamilton and name him the Captain of the Bulldogs .

Vanek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 09:59 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain G View Post
I think its time for Dallas to give us Richard's right as a payback for Ribeiro/Niinimaa deal .

Honestly, I'd really be pleased with having Richards locked long term. Then we could try to trade Gomez to a team like Florida who wants to get to the Cap floor or send him to Hamilton and name him the Captain of the Bulldogs .
If we sacrifice d and trade Spacek and not sign anyone could, we could role.

Richards
Plekanec
Gomez
DD/Eller

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 10:03 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I went to look at some stats and I'm surprised to see how correct you are.

---- Gomez Richards
G.P........ 864......772
Goals..... 167......220
Ass........ 508......496
Points..... 675.....716
+/-......... 46 ......-72

The only thing that Richards has in his favour is that his numbers are consistent over the years but Gomez has been in a slide downward for the last few years.

But aside from that they have pretty similar numbers.

Now I either have to re-evaluate Gomez's worth and admit I was wrong. He's a better player than I thought

or come to the conclusion that Richards is not as good as I thought.

I think I'll go with option 2.
I hate what MathMan brings to the table half the time, but it makes me think also. Yeah, we decided to have a Cap, now we have to live with it, it was never going to benefit Montreal. But now that I see Winnipeg back, at least I can live with it rather than teams in places like Phoenix.... Now, lets get the the Numbers added up to have the best team in North America!

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 10:18 PM
habsrule22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Know if he is coming back to NA or know which team he will choose?
he suppose to pick the team he is gonna play for in the next week or so.

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 10:30 PM
Bieber fever

Do not want !

I'm really happy with Gomez-Plekanec-Eller , why would we need to overpay a center for the next 6 years?? I think our main priority is a RW.

Bieber fever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 10:40 PM
sampollock

funny ,he will get paid 8 mill or maybe more, and yet, gomer gets that.

ask gomer to null his contract, do us all favor////

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 10:51 PM
Krnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
funny ,he will get paid 8 mill or maybe more, and yet, gomer gets that.

ask gomer to null his contract, do us all favor////
but Gomez love to play in Montreal

Krnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 11:27 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce514 View Post
Do not want !

I'm really happy with Gomez-Plekanec-Eller , why would we need to overpay a center for the next 6 years?? I think our main priority is a RW.
We are very happy with Gomez? Seriously? The only thing the guy bring to this team is speed in the neutral zone, he has no hands no vision and works on the outside.. If we wanna be able to compete against the best teams, it needs an upgrade over Gomez down the middle, what we dont have in the depth chart yet.. Replace Gomez by Richards and we are a serious stanley cup contender for awhile..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 11:43 PM
Next Best Thing*

Why in God's name would Richards want to play for Toronto? Wouldn't he rather go to a cup contender?

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 11:50 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
i used my trusted Free Agent Calculator.
I entered "Brad Richards" + "Montreal"= 0.001% that he signs here
That's because you got it set in Radians!

In Degrees you get 0.000000000000001%

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 12:03 AM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
We are very happy with Gomez? Seriously? The only thing the guy bring to this team is speed in the neutral zone, he has no hands no vision and works on the outside.. If we wanna be able to compete against the best teams, it needs an upgrade over Gomez down the middle, what we dont have in the depth chart yet.. Replace Gomez by Richards and we are a serious stanley cup contender for awhile..
With some injury luck and more puck luck for the likes of Gionta, Eller, Gomez, Cammalleri, Plekanec, and Kostitsyn the Habs will be Stanley Cup contenders (at least out of the East) next year. Max Pacioretty was the only top-6 forward on the Habs to meet/exceed his career NHL shooting percentage. Everyone else was under their career rate. With everyone likely regressing toward their mean shooting percentages/true talent level the Habs won't have much of a problem scoring next season.

Think of that. 5/6 of the Habs top-6 forwards had bad luck having their shots/chances convert to goals compared to their track record. The 6th top-6 forward played only 37 games Thanks to scoring chance tracking, we know they were generating plenty of chances. As long as they continue to generate chances at the same rate the offense should be better off, and that's even without Gauthier going out and prudently getting a quality 3rd-line winger or two to play with Eller (The likes of Miettinen, Higgins, Brunette, Fedotenko come to mind).

Price likely won't be as good as he was this year (he should be close), but the Habs probably won't have as many problems with injuries and the forwards will score a bit more. Gomez, or his salary, won't be preventing the Habs from contending in the East next year as there's nobody on the free agent market who is a clear upgrade on him at a similar or lower cost.

Gomez, in terms of cap-hit, is overpaid by about $2.5million compared to what you ideally can get on the free-agent market, it's only for 3 more years, and he's a very tradeable commodity to a salary-floor team after next season (where he should bounce back if only because he'll have a better winger in Pacioretty than he had for most of the year and Gionta will probably shoot better).

With the scarcity of top-6 centres on the market you're looking at probably 5-6 years at $7.5m-$8.5m for Richards. Richards, is probably gives you about $6 million in actual value per year. He's the same age as Gomez, which means you have him under contract for age 35, age 36, maybe age 37 with him when worse case scenario you don't for Gomez. At worse, you're overpaying Richards as much as you are Gomez but for an extra 2 or 3 years. At best you're paying about the same as Gomez but you're stuck with deep decline years you aren't with Gomez. Eller last season showed signs of eventually being capable of playing quality top-6 minutes so there's no reason to tie yourself up with Richards for the small improvement he is over Gomez.

Last edited by Roke: 06-03-2011 at 12:33 AM.
Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 12:23 AM
Bieber fever

best post so far <3

Bieber fever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 12:40 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
With some injury luck and more puck luck for the likes of Gionta, Eller, Gomez, Cammalleri, Plekanec, and Kostitsyn the Habs will be Stanley Cup contenders (at least out of the East) next year. Max Pacioretty was the only top-6 forward on the Habs to meet/exceed his career NHL shooting percentage. Everyone else was under their career rate. With everyone likely regressing toward their mean shooting percentages/true talent level the Habs won't have much of a problem scoring next season.

Think of that. 5/6 of the Habs top-6 forwards had bad luck having their shots/chances convert to goals compared to their track record and, thanks to scoring chance tracking, we know they were generating plenty of chances. As long as they continue to generate chances at the same rate the offense should be better off, and that's even without Gauthier going out and prudently getting a quality 3rd-line winger or two to play with Eller (The likes of Miettinen, Higgins, Brunette, Fedotenko come to mind).

Price likely won't be as good as he was this year (he should be close), but the Habs probably won't have as many problems with injuries and the forwards will score a bit more. Gomez, or his salary, won't be preventing the Habs from contending in the East next year as there's nobody on the free agent market who is a clear upgrade on him at a similar or lower cost.

Gomez, in terms of cap-hit, is overpaid by about $2.5million compared to what you ideally can get on the free-agent market, it's only for 3 more years, and he's a very tradeable commodity to a salary-floor team after next season (where he should bounce back if only because he'll have a better winger in Pacioretty than he had for most of the year and Gionta will probably shoot better).

With the scarcity of top-6 centres on the market you're looking at probably 5-6 years at $7.5m-$8.5m for Richards. Richards, is probably gives you about $6 million in actual value per year. He's the same age as Gomez, which means you have him under contract for age 35, age 36, maybe age 37 with him when worse case scenario you don't for Gomez. At worse, you're overpaying Richards as much as you are Gomez but for an extra 2 or 3 years. At best you're paying about the same as Gomez but you're stuck with deep decline years you aren't with Gomez. Eller last season showed signs of eventually being capable of playing quality top-6 minutes so there's no reason to tie yourself up with Richards for the small improvement he is over Gomez.
I did a study on that and posted it on EOTP. Habs were missing about 27 goals from less than historical shot conversion from their top-six forwards. Good luck from guys like Pacioretty (who was probably actually finally realizing his true shooting talent and his previous seasons were bad luck 12% ain't nothing special) Halpern and Darche compensated a bit however. The team itself was a down 20 goals from where they should have been.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 12:52 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Totally agree.
Richards wants to get in a SC contending team: Montreal, Boston, Washington, Chicago, Vancouver, SJS, Pitt, TB and maybe Los Angeles...
He wants to win the cup.
Please note: Flyers are not in that list. Remove any team that does not have a top-10 goalie. Unless Holgrem decides to admit he was wrong!
After that, it is about money!

Richards won't go:
  • Vancouver: they win this year and will loose part of their core.
  • Chicago is still rebuilding: 2 or 3 years.
  • Washington needs to bring a coach.
  • TB needs a goalie and more defense.
  • SJS is getting old.
  • Pitt is great but the core is very limited (After Fleury, Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Goligoski, Neal and Tangradi it goes down very fast) and the rest is filled with players that can be traded at will.
  • Washinton is still having problems in defense and in the goal.

So if you want to win the cup: Boston, Montreal and maybe Los Angeles.
All of this is based on actual information.
For example TB needs a goaler. On the UFA market, I see nothing so it will have to be a trade.
Washington also needs a goaler and defense. Because no SC goaler is available, I expect them to go hard after Markov...
SJS is pretty much settled with their actual contracts. Once they have Setuguchi signed, they might try with Markov!
Pittsburg is another team that will go after one top d-men and one top forward (Markov, Cole, Richards).

If I am PG, I am sending Cammy to talk to Cole and Richards.
Does he know one of them?

After UFA, we will see who will come out as top contender.

I feel pretty good we can land either Richards or Cole.
To me Cole seems a better fit but I would be so happy to welcome both!
Bryzgalov and Vokoun are nothing? News to me.
I think you can also exclude teams that have already loaded up on centers and other forwards as possilbe Richards landing points.

Pittsburgh, Chicago, Vancouver, San Jose, Philadelphia, and Washington are all pretty committed organisational and financially to their own guys and won't look for a big time acquisition on center. Tampa might have a good enough relationship with him to look at shifting one of their guys to wing. Of current playoff teams I'd say LA, New York and Tampa are the best shots. I could see teams like Buffalo or St. Louis who really could use a guy like him and have space make serious pitches though

Old
06-03-2011, 01:09 AM
Roke

Quote:
Totally agree.
Boston and Montreal are going to be top-3 in the league.
TB will be among top-5 if they can land a goalie.

For the next 5-10 years, the East will give the best hockey.
Winnipeg will be in the West... It will help them.

Upcoming teams: Montreal, Boston, Nashville, Phoenix, StLouis, Chicago, a few others (Tor, Edm).
Going down: Flyers (unless Holgrem understands), Vancouver, SJS, Detroit, NJD, NYR, Was, a few others.
Who are the GMs of the team I named?

I wouldn't say top-3 in the league: San Jose, Vancouver, Chicago are all better than the Habs and should be for the next few years at least. Vancouver's key players are all pretty much locked up except for a few dmen. Boston was riding a lot of luck this year (think of them as the anti-Habs: probably a top-6 team in the East).

Of the teams on the up on your list, Phoenix and Nashvile will be cap constrained (though they have great management), Boston should be good if they increase their focus on a bad defense after Chara, and it's a little to early to call St Louis.

Edmonton are definitely not on the up with the way the management is building the team right now: wasting entry level years on the contracts of Hall and likely their 1st-round pick this year, signing the boat-anchor of Khahbulin to one of the worst contracts in the league, nothing on defense beyond Whitney and Gilbert. They're a mess and don't show any signs of actually knowing what they're doing beyond intentionally losing. Edmonton is more likely to turn out like the "rebuilding/building" in Atlanta, Columbus, or New York Islanders than the Blackhawks.

Detroit should be on the way down, but I can't count their management group out. They're the best in the league and I think they'll find a way to be very good after Lidstrom retires.

Old
06-03-2011, 01:10 AM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
I did a study on that and posted it on EOTP. Habs were missing about 27 goals from less than historical shot conversion from their top-six forwards. Good luck from guys like Pacioretty (who was probably actually finally realizing his true shooting talent and his previous seasons were bad luck 12% ain't nothing special) Halpern and Darche compensated a bit however. The team itself was a down 20 goals from where they should have been.
Right, I remember that. If anyone else wants to look at the methodology here it is: http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...als-offense-is

Old
06-03-2011, 01:14 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
Right, I remember that. If anyone else wants to look at the methodology here it is: http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...als-offense-is
It wasn't perfect. I was too lazy to break it down into ES and powerplay situations like I probably should have. But it certainly gives a you an idea of how systemic the luck problem was.

Old
06-03-2011, 01:21 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Totally agree.
Boston and Montreal are going to be top-3 in the league.
TB will be among top-5 if they can land a goalie.

For the next 5-10 years, the East will give the best hockey.
Winnipeg will be in the West... It will help them.

Upcoming teams: Montreal, Boston, Nashville, Phoenix, StLouis, Chicago, a few others (Tor, Edm).
Going down: Flyers (unless Holgrem understands), Vancouver, SJS, Detroit, NJD, NYR, Was, a few others.
Who are the GMs of the team I named?
Boston = Chi, Nashville = Dave Pollie I think. Phoenix is Don Maloney, St. Louis is... I forget. Can't be John Davidson. Pretty sure he's VP, or something. Chicago is Stan Bowman. Toronto is Brian Burke and Edmonton is a guy who looks lik Kevin Lowe.

Vancouver is Mike Gillis, Sharks is Doug Wilson. Wings is Kevin Holland. NJD is Lamerillo. Rangers is Sather. Washington is McPhee.

Upcoming teams: Boston is already a team considered at the top of the league. Not sure how they're suppose to be an up and comer. Chicago just won a cup.

Flyers and Vancouver have most of their core signed long-term. Not sure how they're going to fall. Detroit has continuous been good for 20 years, if not longer. New Jersey had an off year, so it's only up for them. Rangers have a ton of good-solid prospects + Lundqvist. If anything they should only improve. Washington has one of the best players in the league.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 01:37 AM
HabsInsideOut

Quote:
Originally Posted by xduckiex View Post
Chris Botta: (from twitter)
"told Brad Richards' first choice is not to sign where hockey's life and there are a lot of reporters. He may not have that choice"
Excellent! Montreal is perfect

HabsInsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 02:48 AM
Roke

Quote:
I must admit my ignorance about EOTP...
But you certainly do analyze.
How does Eric Cole in EOTP?
I don't think Talks to Goalspost hasn't done any analysis of Cole on the blog.

That said, looking at the microstats (possession/shot metrics, quality of opposition,where the player began and ended their shifts, and then glancing at goal and point totals) I would say Cole is the 3rd-best forward on the free agent market (behind Richards and Tanguay in that order) with Laich 4th-best. I do not believe there are any other legitimate top-6 forwards available via Unrestricted Free Agency.

Richards and Tanguay would be upgrades on Kostitsyn in the top-6, while Cole might be an upgrade or even and Laich is slightly less productive than Kostitsyn.

The thing about Cole though is he's had all of his success in Carolina and the one season he played outside of Carolina, in Edmonton, wasn't much of a success. He may decide to stay in Carolina where he's been the most comfortable and productive rather than move somewhere else, assuming he gets a competitive offer from Carolina.

Old
06-03-2011, 05:35 AM
Komarov47

I had so many expectations about big names comin in Montreal that i expect the worst, so when a great name will sign in Montreal i will be the happiest ******* !

According to RDS, Montreal wasn't on his wish list at the trade deadline.

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 06:42 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChan View Post
It's simple then, Eller becomes trade bait! Come on, you have the opportunity to sign Richards, you do it.
no you don't!

please explain to me the relationship between trading eller and signing richards.

hint: there's none.

and richards will be good for how many more year? 4... 5? he's past his prime and it's stupid to sell the farm for a player that is or will soon be on the decline. how many good years eller has left?

plus, we need more size, richards isn't the answer!!!!1!11

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 06:45 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Can't help but feel Richards will get a Gomez contract and be a Gomez player in a few years.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote