HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > All other USA Amateur, USHL, NAHL, USNTDP etc.

USHL Expansion Candidates

Old
05-27-2011, 09:41 AM
puckguy11
This Space for Rent

vCash: 774
USHL Expansion Candidates

Found this interesting piece from the Green Bay Fox affiliate:
http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/sport...USHL-expand%3F

Where could you see the USHL going next? I could see them approaching markets, especially in the CHL, (i.e. Fort Wayne, Missouri, Wichita, maybe Rapid City/Colorado) that draw well but want the stability of the USHL.

puckguy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 03:55 PM
razor ray

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckguy11 View Post

Where could you see the USHL going next? I could see them approaching markets, especially in the CHL, (i.e. Fort Wayne, Missouri, Wichita, maybe Rapid City/Colorado) that draw well but want the stability of the USHL.
Marion, Indiana is planning to build a $30 million, 4,100 seat arena to house a USHL team:

http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/ne...122182429.html

razor ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 04:18 PM
lewytown

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckguy11 View Post

Apparently they have had talks with Lewiston Maine? However it would be contingent upon the expansion and growth of the USHL. The owner of the Androscoggin Bank Colisee said in today's paper they have had talks, we just recently lost our QMJHL team...not sure how travel would work with this unless they are going to have a bunch more New England Teams?

lewytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 06:10 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewytown View Post
Apparently they have had talks with Lewiston Maine? However it would be contingent upon the expansion and growth of the USHL. The owner of the Androscoggin Bank Colisee said in today's paper they have had talks, we just recently lost our QMJHL team...not sure how travel would work with this unless they are going to have a bunch more New England Teams?
Maybe they could merge with the EJHL?

Oh wait, that would be too smart. The USHL is run by ****ing morons.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 07:03 PM
ckg927

vCash: 400
Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post

And yet, it's survived for 30 plus years. Quite a long time for morons to screw things up, isn't it?

ckg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 07:27 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
And yet, it's survived for 30 plus years. Quite a long time for morons to screw things up, isn't it?
Agreed.

Old
06-02-2011, 08:39 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
I would love to see the winner of USHL play against the winner of the EJHL in a best of 3 or 5 series.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 07:40 AM
lewytown

The owner of the Colisee in Lewiston is also the owner of a building in Michigan that has a team there already? Attached article below....would love to see this happen if they could make it work.

http://mainehockeyjournal.com/2011/0...ewiston-bound/

Old
06-03-2011, 08:27 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
The owner of the Colisee in Lewiston is also the owner of a building in Michigan that has a team there already? Attached article below....would love to see this happen if they could make it work.

http://mainehockeyjournal.com/2011/0...ewiston-bound/
Looooordd

Last edited by IkeaMonkey*: 10-13-2011 at 07:12 AM.
Old
10-12-2011, 11:49 AM
lewytown

I heard they are only 1 team away from making an east coast division? Anyone else hear anything about expansion to the East Coast?

Old
10-12-2011, 04:55 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:

Smart would be paying attention to the fact that the USHL is two tiers above the EJHL. The USHL adding EJHL teams would be like the OHL adding teams from the GMOHL. The former league outclasses the latter in infrastructure, average player quality, organization, and fan support, and it does so by significant margins.

The USHL has been really ambitious with its expansion over the last decade, moving way out of its traditional footprint in Iowa, Wisconsin, and to a lesser extent Nebraska, but I'm not really sure how many more teams they can add before it becomes more prudent to form additional Tier-I leagues. 30 teams would be insane, but even at 22 or 24 teams, they've still got plenty of room to expand. Their best bet might be to hold out a couple of years and see if the CHL holds together; otherwise, some teams might start following Corpus and Odessa out of the league, and if clubs like Dayton and Missouri go USHL instead of ECHL or FHL, those could both be pretty good fits for the league geographically. Not sure about expansion east. Lewiston makes a tempting target, but where else would teams go? I doubt the USHL wants to split arenas with NCAA teams, which rules out a lot of potential markets.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 10-15-2011 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Accidentally totally inverted what I menat to say.
worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 05:32 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

You mean "the former out classes the latter in infrastructure, average player quality, organization, and fan support, and it does so by significant margins." As you have it now you're saying EJHL > USHL and GMOHL > OHL.

FrancoRussianAlaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:23 PM
puckguy11
This Space for Rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
I doubt the USHL wants to split arenas with NCAA teams, which rules out a lot of potential markets.
This problem may pose itself in Fargo...MN State-Moorhead plans to use Scheel's Arena when they (hopefully) launch hockey. The Dragons would split time with the Force.

Old
10-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Slowe

Quote:
I heard they are only 1 team away from making an east coast division? Anyone else hear anything about expansion to the East Coast?
Umm, no but I'd like to hear more if you can provide a link. I'm gonna guess fan speculation, but any chance it comes back to some out of text comment from someone in the USHL?

Or was it this?

Wisconsin Fox News

Last edited by Slowe: 10-12-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Slowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 07:11 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Smart would be paying attention to the fact that the USHL is two tiers above the EJHL.
Errrrr, you do know what the "tiers" of USA hockey mean right? That it's entirely financial...right?

Old
10-13-2011, 07:13 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensguy11 View Post
This problem may pose itself in Fargo...MN State-Moorhead plans to use Scheel's Arena when they (hopefully) launch hockey. The Dragons would split time with the Force.
Hopefully not...

Old
10-13-2011, 09:42 AM
Edges7

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I would love to see the winner of USHL play against the winner of the EJHL in a best of 3 or 5 series.
You love seeing lopsided games? I will stipulate that there are players on EJ rosters that can play in the USHL, though few would be game or team changers in that league.

Dubuque, Green Bay, Fargo, Lincoln, Sioux City, Indiana all would have rolled over any top EJ team - Monarchs, Hitmen, Bruins - from last season.

Edges7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:52 AM
Edges7

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor ray View Post
Marion, Indiana is planning to build a $30 million, 4,100 seat arena to house a USHL team:

http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/ne...122182429.html
You're more likely to see one of two organizations move into that rink than for them to get a new franchise. The USHL "morons" - as they've been called - are not real keen on forcing 4-5 day swings for teams twice a season.

When expansion comes you will see new teams located not far from the geographic center point of Iowa.

There has been resistance from MN and WI to USHL expansion into those states because of the importance of HS hockey to those states. The USHL is not real anxious to upset those apple carts.

Witchita is a little more South than they might want to go. I'd look for Kansas City, which just built a nice facility and has, for the area, several youth hockey programs, or Topeka to be at or near the top of the list for a franchise.

Old
10-13-2011, 10:07 AM
Edges7

Quote:
Errrrr, you do know what the "tiers" of USA hockey mean right? That it's entirely financial...right?
70-80% of the players at the T1 PW-Midget levels belong there and would skate through, around and over just about any T2 player.

If you want to make the point that 1/4-1/3 of some T1 Youth roster PW and above are "add-ons" you'd have a point. If you want to make a point that some Districts turn a blind eye to the 1 or 2 organizations that routinely field inferior T1 teams then you'd have a point.

And I will stipulate to exceptions but they are few.

Last edited by Edges7: 10-13-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old
10-13-2011, 10:25 AM
nosl

I know the Jets are the talk of the city, but what about a place like Winnipeg? Thunder Bay has been floated around as well, but the University team is front & centre there.

You could also tap into the Southern Ontario market (Chatham-Kent, Brantford).

How about the Northern portion of Michigan?

nosl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:51 AM
Edges7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosl View Post
How about the Northern portion of Michigan?
Marquette had a NAHL team that was forced to move because of both access and weather. I was stranded in a Holiday Inn there - 70's decor and all - for 5 days in 2008 while they went through one of their infamous lake effect snows and nothing was flying in or out.

NMU has a great facility and hockey is very popular up there but travel is problematic. Green Bay is as far north as the USHL dare venture.

You have to remember that these are all locally ownded and financed teams. They aren't operating millions of dollars in the black so that travel is merely an inconvenience. It's a HUGE expense.

Old
10-13-2011, 12:33 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges7 View Post
You are so out of your mind. 70-80% of the players at the T1 PW-Midget levels belong there and would skate through, around and over just about any T2 player.

If you want to make the point that 1/4-1/3 of some T1 Youth roster PW and above are "add-ons" you'd have a point. If you want to make a point that some Districts turn a blind eye to the 1 or 2 organizations that routinely field inferior T1 teams then you'd have a point.

And I will stipulate to exceptions but they are few.
Not even going to bother, edges. Not even going to bother.

Old
10-13-2011, 12:38 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosl View Post
Thunder Bay has been floated around as well,
Floated around? Pretty sure the USHL has failed there previously...

Old
10-13-2011, 01:12 PM
puckguy11
This Space for Rent

Quote:
Floated around? Pretty sure the USHL has failed there previously...
I wouldn't call 14 years a "failure", but there's numerous issues with Thunder Bay; the arena is one, but I think them being in the race for an AHL franchise and travel are probably the two biggest no no's.

Old
10-13-2011, 02:07 PM
Edges7

Quote:
Not even going to bother, edges. Not even going to bother.
Just curious what region/district you are in.

I used to hear this complaint in my old baliwick of the Atlantic/NY districts but years of coaching and scouting in those areas shows a clear bifurcation between T1 and T2.

I apologize for the inital comment and edited it out.