HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Richards

Old
06-03-2011, 06:53 AM
Komarov47

vCash: 500
Richards will be a Rangers next season. $$

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 06:53 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
Can't help but feel Richards will get a Gomez contract and be a Gomez player in a few years.
I have been saying that for months.

Richards might be worth 6.5-7 mil for a couple more years, but with NYR LA Toronto and others bidding, he'll likely get 7.5-8 mil over 4-5-6 years, so the ;ast 3-4 years of taht deal, you'll likely get Gomez type production on that contract.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 07:48 AM
OpenIceHit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I have been saying that for months.

Richards might be worth 6.5-7 mil for a couple more years, but with NYR LA Toronto and others bidding, he'll likely get 7.5-8 mil over 4-5-6 years, so the ;ast 3-4 years of taht deal, you'll likely get Gomez type production on that contract.
I think he will probably sign a cap friendly type of contract. It is the new norm in the NHL with superstars. New and logic. If you can sign a guy like Brad Richards, you sign him long term until his late 30's or even early 40's.

He's 31. He will probably sign a 10 year contract with a new team at 7M the first 4 or 5 years and decreasing the remaining of his contract until it reaches 1M.

I could see something like 7,7,7,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 for a cap hit of 4.9M per year.

OpenIceHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 07:59 AM
neofury*

I know we aren't going to get him but what I do hope happens is that NYR gets him and for some reason he sucks for them, then somehow Gomez comes back and has a 70pt season. I know it's a pipe dream but it would be damn great to see it happen.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 08:01 AM
Komarov47

Say what you want but Richards is a skilled dude. But i don't know how the fact that he played with Eriksson and Benn/Neal affects his number ??

Old
06-03-2011, 08:05 AM
OpenIceHit

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I know we aren't going to get him but what I do hope happens is that NYR gets him and for some reason he sucks for them, then somehow Gomez comes back and has a 70pt season. I know it's a pipe dream but it would be damn great to see it happen.
Won't happen. I would bet my house on this one.

Old
06-03-2011, 08:07 AM
OpenIceHit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
Say what you want but Richards is a skilled dude. But i don't know how the fact that he played with Eriksson and Benn/Neal affects his number ??
With whoever he plays, he's still one of the best offensive player in this league. Look at his stats and you'll see he's always been constant. He will improve any team he will play for.

Old
06-03-2011, 08:08 AM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
You know the Rangers are used to that (Frolov? Gaborik? Drury? Redden ? Lindros?) so no big deal

Old
06-03-2011, 08:08 AM
Pascal

I'm going to predict it here: the Leafs are going to throw a ******** of money at Richards and he's going to retire there.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 08:09 AM
BLONG7

Over the last while, weren't there comments like he didn't want to be in a fishbowl type of market...also, he wants another couple of cracks at the cup, so a contender only...he likes the warm climates, blah blah, blah....specualtion by reporters, or sound bites?

Anyhow, no way he picks Montreal guys...Leaf fans are hopeful though...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 08:14 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Richards will be a Rangers next season. $$
That's not good IMO, Rangers with Richards are a playoff team, that means 1 team from this year is not going to make it. Also the Devils will not be push overs like last year. I'm pretty happy about our team, would like to see an addition of a solid top 6 winger and a guy who can play hockey and fight like Rupp or Konopka

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 08:20 AM
neofury*

Quote:
You know the Rangers are used to that (Frolov? Gaborik? Drury? Redden ? Lindros?) so no big deal
That's just it. Dinosaurs go to their team to be extinct

I'm not saying Dinosaur cause of age, more-so because these players seem to play like washed up old men once they go to this team.

I'm not saying I think it will happen by the way (to the others who quoted me) I'm just saying I hope it happens and with the luck NYR has Richards-Gaborik wouldn't work for some mysterious reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
That's not good IMO, Rangers with Richards are a playoff team, that means 1 team from this year is not going to make it. Also the Devils will not be push overs like last year. I'm pretty happy about our team, would like to see an addition of a solid top 6 winger and a guy who can play hockey and fight like Rupp or Konopka
It will only work in our favor though because they play in the same division and also have Philly and Pittsburgh to contend with. If Crosby comes back in full form god help that division. He was looking like the second coming of Gretzky this year and yes being on pace to put up over 150pts in the new NHL is Gretzky-esque. Then the Flyers certainly won't be push overs either like this playoff and like you said NJD will be good again, arguably better than NYR will be even with Richards, I trust Lou over Sather any day of the week in an offseason. If Lou feels he can build a contender with out bottoming out (I believe he does) then I think NYR rests at around 8th or 9th place. They'll be a good team that has a Columbus/St. Louis disorder in that they play in a strong division and injuries in said division will cost you a lot more than in say the Northwest division where 4 teams already don't make it.

That having been said all 4 of those teams could potentially make it but I see the Rangers and Devils being two teams that will struggle as a result of this division. Plus the islanders will suck as usual but if I recall they did have a decent record against division rivals, I'm not 100% sure on that one somebody may need to fact check but bottom line is the division is beastly.

EDIT: I was wrong, they actually struggled the most against their own division

Even so though I'd expect they can't be nearly as bad next year as they were this year.

Last edited by neofury*: 06-03-2011 at 08:28 AM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 08:27 AM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Over the last while, weren't there comments like he didn't want to be in a fishbowl type of market...also, he wants another couple of cracks at the cup, so a contender only...he likes the warm climates, blah blah, blah....specualtion by reporters, or sound bites?

Anyhow, no way he picks Montreal guys...Leaf fans are hopeful though...
I think he wants to make the playoff, so the Leafs are out of the way I think L.A will make some room for him, it will be between L.A/NY Rangers

Old
06-03-2011, 08:27 AM
gusfring

We'll keep Gomez and let Richards go somewhere else. Won't even try.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 08:29 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
I think he will probably sign a cap friendly type of contract. It is the new norm in the NHL with superstars. New and logic. If you can sign a guy like Brad Richards, you sign him long term until his late 30's or even early 40's.

He's 31. He will probably sign a 10 year contract with a new team at 7M the first 4 or 5 years and decreasing the remaining of his contract until it reaches 1M.

I could see something like 7,7,7,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 for a cap hit of 4.9M per year.
He may or may not sign that type of contract, but the first 4 years will be a lot more than 7 mil if he does. It would be like Gomez...10 10 10 10 8 6 4 3 2 1...6.4 mil cap hit. He will get better offers than 7 mil per year in the first years from NYR Toronto LA and possibly 2-3 other teams.

The risk in sgning taht type of contract is that if the player decides to keep playing and is only a 3rd liner at 36-37, then you have to work something out and those deals have NMC.

Old
06-03-2011, 08:33 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
Won't happen. I would bet my house on this one.
MSG has poor ice, and NYR is a high pressure situation, plus if he signs a massive contract expect high expectations...there are A LOT of examples of players flopping or at least underachieving in those situations.

Old
06-03-2011, 08:35 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
We'll keep Gomez and let Richards go somewhere else. Won't even try.
Easier said then done, why would a team want Gomez when they could offer Richards the same money? It's not easy trading a player like Gomez at his salary and if you would be the owner not sure you would be happy paying his salary for him playing in Hamilton

Old
06-03-2011, 08:51 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Easier said then done, why would a team want Gomez when they could offer Richards the same money? It's not easy trading a player like Gomez at his salary and if you would be the owner not sure you would be happy paying his salary for him playing in Hamilton
His salary drops a lot after this year. If he has a bounce back year it would be an option for PG.

Old
06-03-2011, 08:53 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Bury him. Other teams do it. Problem is it would affect the bottom line too much and the Molson's won't do it. It's not because they can't.

Let's be clear about it.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 08:57 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
His salary drops a lot after this year. If he has a bounce back year it would be an option for PG.
Agreed, but only after next season which at this point if he is to have a bounce back year 65pts or so then it makes it even easier for the Habs and just keep him for the final 2 years. If we move him it's this year IMO which I'm not really expecting unless a young player and pick is traded along or a player in the same situation like him.

I would trade Gomez to CLB for Commodore, that's something both teams might consider(if we would be able to replace Gomez after that)

Old
06-03-2011, 08:57 AM
Guy Germaine

This pic was recently tweeted...Avery, Voros and Richards on vacation. More fuel for the Richards to NY rumors.

Guy Germaine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 08:58 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Bury him. Other teams do it. Problem is it would affect the bottom line too much and the Molson's won't do it. It's not because they can't.

Let's be clear about it.
Absolutely they can afford it but they won't do it, not sure I would as well.

Old
06-03-2011, 09:07 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Agreed, but only after next season which at this point if he is to have a bounce back year 65pts or so then it makes it even easier for the Habs and just keep him for the final 2 years. If we move him it's this year IMO which I'm not really expecting unless a young player and pick is traded along or a player in the same situation like him.

I would trade Gomez to CLB for Commodore, that's something both teams might consider(if we would be able to replace Gomez after that)
I don't think CBJ can afford Gomez' salary this year but next year he becaomes attractive as his cap hit is higher than his salary.

Old
06-03-2011, 09:44 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
I think he wants to make the playoff, so the Leafs are out of the way I think L.A will make some room for him, it will be between L.A/NY Rangers
I would be stupid for L.A. to sign him, they have Kopitar and Schenn... They should target Gaborik who'll likely be traded after Richards is signed.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 09:54 AM
habitue*

Quote:
I don't think CBJ can afford Gomez' salary this year but next year he becaomes attractive as his cap hit is higher than his salary.
Florida could be a team that could absorb Gomez' salary... But it won't happen

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote