HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What would Wolski cost LA?

Old
06-03-2011, 08:31 AM
Radek27

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
Agree completely with this analysis.

I'd rather hold onto W2. I still think there is something there and he can produce for us.
Exactly, getting rid of Wolski should be the least of our problems right now.

Drury on the other hand......

I wanna see what he can do in a whole season in Blue. I'm more excited about that than I ever was about Frolov last year.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 08:45 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
Just wondering what NYR fans thought would be a fair return for Wolski. It appears the NYR need to shed some salary to sign UFA Richards and their own RFA. IMO Wolski brings the kind of speed and skill up front LA really lacks. Being a LW and able to play C also really is a need for LA.
I saw him as an ideal LW for Kopitar a few years back when he was in COL but doubted the teams would make a deal. However it seems much more likely that a deal between LA-NYR can now be reached.

LA-Wolski
NYR-?
7th round pick.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 08:49 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

You guys are horrible negotiators.

"What do you want for Wolski?"

"Oh God! Please just take him!! Pleaassseee!!"

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 08:54 AM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post

Seriously. This is one of the reasons why the trade board isn't as awesome as it should be.

06-03-2011, 08:55 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

He was nowhere near as bad as some are making him out to be. He has talent. Torts diminished his ice time late in the season and the playoffs. Give him more ice time i think he will produce more.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 09:02 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Wolski for Loktionov or Wolski and a 5th for a 2nd.

Get his lazy, inconsistent, unmotivated ass off of this team.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 09:05 AM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
7th round pick.
I wish fans would watch when he was with the Avs/Yotes and put up an impressive season with consistent top line minutes... then had a solid 4 goals in 7 playoff games. Torts has to loosen the shackles and let the kid do his thing.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 09:05 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Wolski has upside and talent, no one is arguing against that.

The issue is we have limited cap space to retain our RFAs who are not only more important but are better hockey players.

And if we want to sign Richards we are going to need every bit of cap space we can spare.

Wolski, Christensen, Drury are not important parts of this organization's future.

Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov, Sauer, Boyle need to be resigned and with raises.

Erixon is at 1.75. Kreider will be about the same.

Richards anywhere between 6.5 and 7.5.

Where under the cap can we fit everything?

Shedding Wolki's cap hit so we can retain and add better hockey players is certainly a priority.

Wolski's cap hit (without looking) is about 3.5 that's too high for a player that gives you an inconsistent effort, and doesn't have the elite skill set to make up for it.

Tortorella benching 3.5 mil every other game isn't helping.

Old
06-03-2011, 09:08 AM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

i wouldnt mind wolski at 2 million per, it matches his production. but at 4 million he should be a top 6 player which his inconsistency doesnt allow. i think ranger fans severly undervalue him, the JUST TAKE HIM!, future considerations etc is a load of crap. wolski has some talent and has shown it, as someone said earlier he was producing when he was getting ice time but when the top 6 guys came back his icetime severly dropped as did his point production. like i said at 2 mil per i wouldnt mind him playing on the third line, but at 4 mil and our tight cap situation that cant fly.

with that said if you can get a decent return you get it, a decent prospect or a pick 2/3. it opens either 3.8 mil in cap space or a little less, money that can be spent for a player that can actually produce like jokinen,gagne,upshall etc.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 09:11 AM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
This is my interpretation of Wolski as a Ranger. He is acquired and plays pretty well for a couple weeks... putting up some decent point totals, but still inconsistent on offense (like everyone else on the team). Then the injuries pile up and he is playing big minutes with Step and Zuc. That line pretty much carries the offense for several weeks, though WW still seems to get little credit from Ranger fans. Then all of sudden all the injured top line players return and Step's line has a major decrease in minutes. Since WW (and Zuc for that matter) is not the type of player that can produce with so little ice time, he starts to struggle. Not to mention that he is playing with 2 rookies who are pretty much hitting the wall at this point. Add to this that he is not used in any other situations (PP/PK) and the fact that he is not as strong defensively as the rest of players (which Torts doesn't like) and the kid is getting peanuts in terms of minutes. Though there are random good games when he gets promoted to higher lines, he struggles the rest of the season getting little minutes and even sits a few games. So basically you have a player who needs ice time to use his skills, but isn't getting any.

To be honest, there is something about this game that rubs me the wrong way a little, but he gets way too much flack than he should based on what happened this year. He is very talented and I think letting him go would be a mistake. A team like LA would be getting a steal if they only gave up a 2nd or less for him.
This the the prob with Wolski as pertaining to NYR.

The kid has Nedved syndrome. A guy who needs top minutes to produce 2nd line numbers but cant produce 2nd line numbers when given 2nd line minutes. In other words a great player for a non contending team that lacks the money to afford elite talent, but not a guy that a true contender can win with.

I have followed Wolski for 2 seasons prior to him coming to NYR. I scouted him as best I could in Colorado becasue I relied on him for my fantasy team as it was my first year and we auto drafted and I got poor picks. The consencus with Avs fans was that he could not produce consistantly with Stastny which says alot, but also they were losing games with him on the 2nd line which eventually got him demoted to the 3rd line. Pretty much the same thing happened in PHX as well. Now you see it first hand with us but yet people keep trying to justify and excuse the results.

Not trying to be a d1ck just using what you said in the bolded statement to show my point that he is not what this team needs and would be better off traded for something before his value diminishes further.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 09:12 AM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
i wouldnt mind wolski at 2 million per, it matches his production. but at 4 million he should be a top 6 player which his inconsistency doesnt allow.
That was pretty much, my word for word thought process on this.

Wolski isn't a "bad" player. He's just overpaid and inconsistent — obviously, a not so attractive combination. He can fill in as a top-6 forward, but he's best used as a stop gap, and isn't a part of this team's future. He doesn't fit the style of a Tortorella player in any sense, which is why I doubt he'll be on the the roster starting in 2011-2012. It's not like the Christensen situation, where he only makes $900KK. Wolski could prevent us from signing Richards — and Wolski is not good enough to justify the Rangers risking the chance to sign a #1 center.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 09:14 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

If Sather were to trade Wolski he would probably get a decent return.

We fans saying things like 7th round pick, only suggests we need to shed the salary without taking back any salary.

Old
06-03-2011, 09:22 AM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
That was pretty much, my word for word thought process on this.

Wolski isn't a "bad" player. He's just overpaid and inconsistent obviously, a not so attractive combination. He can fill in as a top-6 forward, but he's best used as a stop gap, and isn't a part of this team's future. He doesn't fit the style of a Tortorella player in any sense, which is why I doubt he'll be on the the roster starting in 2011-2012. It's not like the Christensen situation, where he only makes $900KK. Wolski could prevent us from signing Richards and Wolski is not good enough to justify the Rangers risking the chance to sign a #1 center.
great minds think alike, his cap # is just not justifiable.
i agree totally. but the just take him, future considerations, 7th round pick stuff is a load of crap he has some kind of value, and i also highly doubt hell be wearing ranger blue come september.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 09:40 AM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
Torts diminished his ice time late in the season and the playoffs. Give him more ice time i think he will produce more.
That's the problem. He won't be getting more ice time under Torts, so there's no reason to keep him.

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 09:41 AM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
If Sather were to trade Wolski he would probably get a decent return.

We fans saying things like 7th round pick, only suggests we need to shed the salary without taking back any salary.
Yeah he would probably surprise us with what he gets. Most of us would have been happy with a 7th for Gomez and look what he got.

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 09:47 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

WW looked rather decent in the playoffs against the Caps. If I recall he actually led the team in scoring during that one and only round. I think he deserves a shot at a full season in NY

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 10:05 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 10:09 AM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
i wouldnt mind wolski at 2 million per, it matches his production. but at 4 million he should be a top 6 player which his inconsistency doesnt allow. i think ranger fans severly undervalue him, the JUST TAKE HIM!, future considerations etc is a load of crap. wolski has some talent and has shown it, as someone said earlier he was producing when he was getting ice time but when the top 6 guys came back his icetime severly dropped as did his point production. like i said at 2 mil per i wouldnt mind him playing on the third line, but at 4 mil and our tight cap situation that cant fly.

with that said if you can get a decent return you get it, a decent prospect or a pick 2/3. it opens either 3.8 mil in cap space or a little less, money that can be spent for a player that can actually produce like jokinen,gagne,upshall etc.
Now, I know this stat is a bit misleading as some players play out of position compared to how NHL.com lists them, but even with his 'poor season' WW was ranked 50th for points amongst LW. The year before, 12th, before that 40th, before that 29th.

he didn't have a great season as a Ranger (he certainly wasn't terrible though IMO) but he's clearly a top 6 LW in the NHL and would fetch something of value in a trade. I'd hang onto him though because unless someone really comes out of nowhere at camp, you probably won't get any more production for the same amount of $$.

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 10:25 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I think Wolski would do quite well playing with Kopitar. Exactly the type of player he needs to play with to excel. Exactly the type of player the Rangers lack.
At the moment. What's WW's potential on a line with Richards and Gabby?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCollarBlueBlood View Post
The consencus with Avs fans was that he could not produce consistantly with Stastny which says alot...
50 points as a 19/20 year old rookie is a statement, regardless of whether the points come in bunches or strung out over the course of a season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
He is acquired and plays pretty well for a couple weeks... putting up some decent point totals, but still inconsistent on offense (like everyone else on the team).
Like others have said ZEN, I wholeheartedly agree with your entire assessment, but I think there's another factor in play. You could see how "loose" WW was in those first few games, essentially playing the type of game he was comfortable with. The more his game was influenced by Tortorella's mandate for responsible play without the puck, the less effective Wolski became. I think that applies to a lot of Rangers, both forwards and defensemen. I'm not saying it's the right or wrong way, but way more than just a coincidence that almost everyone that once had an offensive touch loses it and becomes a "more complete" player as soon as they pull on a blueshirt.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 10:52 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

One of Dustin Penner's softball bats for Wolski would be a fair deal. If read you Lombardi's recent comment about Penner,you know what I'm talking about. Wolski is 1/3 buyout with small cap hits. Frees up money.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 10:53 AM
freewheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Am I the only one that wants to keep Wolski?
I hope so. For me, the Wolski deal was worth it just for getting Rozi out of here. Now we complete the purge.

freewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 11:01 AM
northernKing

Well I watched a lot of COL games in Duchene's rookie season and also follow the NYR. I agree with a lot of what is being said about Woloski but IMO he has a skill level that most LA forwards lack. He would very likely be brought in to play on Kopitar's LW and I think he would really flourish likely putting up 25-30G and around 60 points.

No way LA gives up prospects like Loktionov or Toffoli. However a 2nd or likely a 3rd rd pick seems very fair. Maybe this deal is done a little prior to the draft so NYR can package the pick for Richards rights?

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 11:12 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:

Honestly the Rangers have enough to sign Richards and the RFA's they can't go out and throw more money over a multi yr deal for a Jokinen

Also LW is thin, Kreider is not in the system so its Dubinsky, Wolski, Avery and a battle between Grachev and Hagelin

If I am wrong and they do move him I want a 3rd rounder atleast. May as well get some draft picks back in. A late pick would be nice too in a package

but again try Wolski, Richards, Gaborik, then the Pack line, then Steps, Zuccarello, one of Hagelin/Grachev and then Boyle, Prust, Avery........its a balanced team.
I'm with you, man. The return won't be worth the loss of talent. I'd really like to keep him. We are short enough on skill as it is. Especially, as you mentioned, at LW.

I really don't get why people are so quick to want him gone..

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:

Honestly the Rangers have enough to sign Richards and the RFA's they can't go out and throw more money over a multi yr deal for a Jokinen

Also LW is thin, Kreider is not in the system so its Dubinsky, Wolski, Avery and a battle between Grachev and Hagelin

If I am wrong and they do move him I want a 3rd rounder atleast. May as well get some draft picks back in. A late pick would be nice too in a package

but again try Wolski, Richards, Gaborik, then the Pack line, then Steps, Zuccarello, one of Hagelin/Grachev and then Boyle, Prust, Avery........its a balanced team.
Nope. I do too.

We lack top 6 talent (obviously). We have a guy in Wolski who has put up a couple of 50 point seasons and is ONE season removed from 65 points.

A guy has one bad season and all of a sudden he sucks? What about the 4 good seasons he has had? These guys aren't superhuman, they can't score x amount of points every season of their career (unless they're Gretzky)- they're going to have down years.

I'm in favor of keeping him at least one more season, and if he can't put up the same numbers he did with Col/Phoenix then I'd say that he doesn't fit in here, and we shouldn't re-sign him. But give him more than half a season please.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 12:09 PM
NYR Viper

People are going to kill me because they are defensemen, but I'll take Hickey or Voynov. Puck-moving defenseman solved.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote