HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Montreal re-signs Hal Gill (1 year/$2.25 million)

Old
06-01-2011, 04:18 AM
BlueSinceBirth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipitar View Post
I've been waiting for that for nearly 3 years now.

He sure is an effective top-9 centerman, but each and every year that goes by, his chances of becoming that top-liner we all thought he would become erode a little further. But he's huge, and these types of frames sometimes take longer to fulfill their potential...
He has only played 3 years so that's pretty high expectations. Also anyone that watched him the last 2 years will tell you he took huge leaps forward.

As for Gill, I think this is a fairly good deal and was actually impressed when I watched him this year. Suprising how he has came out of the lockout better than could have been predicted.

BlueSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 05:52 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Sometimes he's worth every penny of that 2.25M, but sometimes I don't think he's worth anywhere near that. I think it weighs heavily on who he's paired with.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 06:53 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
This is a real good re-signing by Montreal. Gill's a solid bottom-pairing defenseman who can step up into the top 4 if he has to. He's one of the Habs leaders and he's a player with size. Plus he's been a good mentor. They couldn't afford to lose him.

It'll be interesting to see who's kept and who is let to walk. Hamrlik I think is gone. Wisniewski and Markov remain a question mark in my mind. I expected Gill to stay so we'll see.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 06:59 AM
Marc Bergevins Suit
Realistic Hab Fan

Wisniewski-Gorges
Markov-Emelin/Subban
Gill-Subban/Emelin/Weber

Thats what i want to see

Marc Bergevins Suit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 07:30 AM
Etienne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Mess View Post
Wisniewski-Gorges
Markov-Emelin/Subban
Gill-Subban/Emelin/Weber

Thats what i want to see
That's what I'd like in a perfect world but I don't see Gauthier signing both Wiz and Markov without significant discounts. Both would get 5+ millions/season in July and with Gomez (7.3), Cammy (6), Plekanec (5) and gionta (5), it'd be 33 millions allocated on 6 players... right before Subban and Price turns RFAs. Our prospect pool isn't as good as it was in previous years with all the graduations and bad trades (McDonagh).

I think our D next year will be:

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Spacek - Weber
Yemelin

If Markov comes back healthy, this is a good defense, although not a great one. 3 PMDs and hopefully 3 stay-at-home to go with them but we all know how Jacques Martin loves veterans so Spacek will see a lot more ice time than Yemelin.

Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 07:50 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Sometimes he's worth every penny of that 2.25M, but sometimes I don't think he's worth anywhere near that. I think it weighs heavily on who he's paired with.
During his tenure in Montreal Gill has never had to "carry" his D partner. Gorges was already developing into a good, young d-man. There was a good balance defensively with Gorges and Gill but about zilch offensively. Actually defensively they were not looking so good right before Gorges quit for the season.

Gill's next D partner was Subban - probably the best athlete on the team. He too already had playoff experience paired with Hamrlik and then was somewhat sheltered during the first half of the year on the third pairing.

IMHO, Gill gets way too much credit for bringing along two d-men one (Gorges) of which was already playing in the top four and the other (Subban) who already had experience in the top four combined with superstar qualities.

Don't want to see Gill anywhere near the top four. He's a passive player who has found the perfect home in Jacques Martin's passive system.

I'm hoping for better moves to straighten out the top 4. But the Habs have made a habit of seeing to it there are plenty of 5th, 6th, 7th d-men on the roster has opposed to at least 3 legitimate top 4 d-men. Then when Markov gets injured it's left up to one guy to carry the load offensively and defensively.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 10:21 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
That's what I'd like in a perfect world but I don't see Gauthier signing both Wiz and Markov without significant discounts. Both would get 5+ millions/season in July and with Gomez (7.3), Cammy (6), Plekanec (5) and gionta (5), it'd be 33 millions allocated on 6 players... right before Subban and Price turns RFAs. Our prospect pool isn't as good as it was in previous years with all the graduations and bad trades (McDonagh).

I think our D next year will be:

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Spacek - Weber
Yemelin

If Markov comes back healthy, this is a good defense, although not a great one. 3 PMDs and hopefully 3 stay-at-home to go with them but we all know how Jacques Martin loves veterans so Spacek will see a lot more ice time than Yemelin.
Emelin will more than likely not be the 7th d-man. Chances are that Weber will get that role or be traded at some point. I also think that we will see Gill and Gorges on the same pairing.

Markov-Subban
Gill-Gorges
Spacek-Emelin

We could definitely use another top 4 d-man but it won't be the case since Spacek will be back next season. As long as we sign/acquire another top 6 forward with the money remaining, I'm fine with that.

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Natedawg
Lars Eller

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
I don't think of Gorges as a top 4 except in short spurts. I'd still rather the Habs sign two of Wiz, Hamrlik or other (Bieksa, Ehrhoff, Pitkanen) in addition to Markov than moving a "smallish" Gorges coming off of major knee surgery into that slot in order to make room for sluggish Gill.

I look at the Habs D in terms of that great what if - "what if Markov gets injured"? Right now it's Subban, Gill, Gorges, Spacek, Emelin, Weber, Diaz. I don't like that scenario. Subban would have to shoulder one heckuva a load especially offensively.
**** me its amazing how quickly people forget how good Gorges was before being injured.

Ugh.

Natedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 08:54 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedawg View Post
**** me its amazing how quickly people forget how good Gorges was before being injured.

Ugh.
The two main reasons I don't think of Gorges as a top 4 FULLTIME is because of his physical stamina and offensive output. When Gorges is tired many times he ends up in the goal crease interfering with his goaltender. Generally speaking he's put there by the opposition.

IMHO he's a good, solid borderline 4th / 5th d-man but in the top 4 longterm - no don't like him.

Old
06-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Ginu

Now re-sign Wisniewski and Markov and our top 6 is gold!

Wisniewski - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Gill - Gorges
Spacek

Put Weber up front and play him on the 2nd wave of the PP with Wiz.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 11:50 PM
ginovegas

would have rather spent that money on Wiz or Hamer

ginovegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 11:57 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginovegas View Post
would have rather spent that money on Wiz or Hamer
Hamrlik can retire.

The only thing I can say in his defense is Hamrlik had to babysit Spacek.

Gill will be paired with Gorges, or Subban, which should make him look better than he is.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 09:18 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
The two main reasons I don't think of Gorges as a top 4 FULLTIME is because of his physical stamina and offensive output. When Gorges is tired many times he ends up in the goal crease interfering with his goaltender. Generally speaking he's put there by the opposition.

IMHO he's a good, solid borderline 4th / 5th d-man but in the top 4 longterm - no don't like him.
This might have fit Gorges a couple years ago, but I don't see how anybody who has watched his progression since then could say that. He had become the Habs' top shut-down defenseman, and was quite adroit at compensating for his physical disadvantages. I wonder how he'll do with his knee fixed up. One likes to think he'll be even better...

The team was pretty good on D this year even with all the injuries, and Gill is a great piece of glue for all that. Healthy Gorges and Markov would be big big additions. Huge ones.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 11:57 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
This might have fit Gorges a couple years ago, but I don't see how anybody who has watched his progression since then could say that. He had become the Habs' top shut-down defenseman, and was quite adroit at compensating for his physical disadvantages. I wonder how he'll do with his knee fixed up. One likes to think he'll be even better...

The team was pretty good on D this year even with all the injuries, and Gill is a great piece of glue for all that. Healthy Gorges and Markov would be big big additions. Huge ones.
Not sure what a couple of years ago is. For me I saw what I described during the 2009-2010 season and Gill and Gorges really didn't play heavy minutes until the playoffs. And they were both gassed against Philly. Spacek and Hamrlik played the heavy minutes in the first half of the season of 2009 - 2010. Hamrlik continued even when Markov came back.

Gorges played only half a season during 2010 - 2011 so there's no telling how he would have faired a full season.

I'd call Hamrlik the glue the last two years more than Gill but clearly the Canadiens marketing department and media are promoting otherwise despite the fact Hamrlik has played the most minutes against top competition, had more points and a better +/- during that two year period - not only during the regular season but during two years worth of playoffs where at times he struggled.

Gill was gassed against Boston in game 7 and contributed virtually nothing in that game. If the Habs have plans to use Gill and Gorges in the top four I really will shudder.

One thing for sure - Gill is North American while Hamrlik is not - marketing really seems to be playing a part in the decision making. The Habs' can't get enough of Gill and Gorges on their web site.

Calling Gill the "glue" and "anchorman" for the last two years is really stretching the truth given he missed a stretch in the first half of 2009 - 2010 while Markov and O'Byrne were also out of the lineup. That clearly seems to have been forgotten. Gill also missed game 6 against Pittsburgh which the Habs won. Who was the glue and the anchorman then?

You may be right about Gorges' knee - I guess it remains to be seen how much more effective he can be - if at all.

Old
06-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Calling Gill the "glue" and "anchorman" for the last two years is really stretching the truth given he missed a stretch in the first half of 2009 - 2010 while Markov and O'Byrne were also out of the lineup. That clearly seems to have been forgotten. Gill also missed game 6 against Pittsburgh which the Habs won. Who was the glue and the anchorman then?
Well, I disagree with most of your observations about the other players, but that is OT here, so never mind, I don't want to derail this thread any further.

As for calling Gill the "glue" that is more of a chemistry/intangibles reference. He provides leadership and some form of calming influence, it seems, it's not an indicator of on-ice activity so much. Hamrlik was more than just "glue", he was more like a "pillar of strength".

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 09:20 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Well, I disagree with most of your observations about the other players, but that is OT here, so never mind, I don't want to derail this thread any further.

As for calling Gill the "glue" that is more of a chemistry/intangibles reference. He provides leadership and some form of calming influence, it seems, it's not an indicator of on-ice activity so much. Hamrlik was more than just "glue", he was more like a "pillar of strength".
Well okay, I guess.

Old
06-03-2011, 11:18 AM
SlappyMcGee
=w=

I honestly don't understand this interpretation of Gorges. Gorges came in, and I hated the way he was playing, but he got better every single game and was always isolating what he did wrong and building on it.

By the time he went out for his injury, he was definitely one of our top two defensemen. Subban played the trickier offensive game that we'd been counting on Markov for back pre-Markov injuries, and Gorges was an elite shutdown defenseman. There is no doubt that he might not come back that good because of injury, but he also might come back even better because our D-corps will have gotten stronger and because he's been playing his whole career with this injury handicap. (Like that baseball player who was recently drafted first overall before discovering he was basically blind and with contacts has become the most elite hitter in the lower leagues.)

Markov - Subban
Gorges - Gill
Spacek - Emelin/Weber

If Wisniewski is getting resigned, (and at a discount) then we probably try and move Spacek or drop Emelin/Weber. But I don't think Wisniewski becomes a major target with this lineup; a healthy Markov+Subban are not only great defenseman, but probably the most elite powerplay blueline in the league. And Gorges and Gill come close to the best at Penalty Kill. Spacek and (probably Weber) just eat up minutes.

SlappyMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote