HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez and Gionta can be our Lecavalier and St. Louis

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2011, 10:33 AM
shutehinside

vCash: 500
No, no they can't be.

In fact, I was preying this morning that we could send Gomez to Dallas for Richards rights. Giving us a crack at him and Dallas a cheaper then his actual cap hit player and #1 centre they now lack. Not likely but hey, that's why I was preying for it.

Old
06-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Is it just me, or does everyone have a feeling that Gomez is going to bounce back better than ever in 2011/2012?

I have a feeling that Scott Gomez was embaressed this past season and will be working his behind off this summer to be ready to go for the next season in Montreal.

Look at this:

Scott Gomez
2005-06 New Jersey Devils 82GP / 33G / 51A / 84 Points

Brian Gionta
2005-06 New Jersey Devils 82GP / 48G / 41A / 89 Points

Can these two become our Lecavalier - St.Louis???

Something tell's me that Scott Gomez has to bounce back, I honestly believe that he is our Kovalev and this teams success all depends on him, if he is able to put up points with Gionta I am not worried about Cammalleri - Plekanec, defense and the goaltending.

Discuss!
Please don't use the '05-'06 season to prove any point. It was the first season after the lockout and the highest scoring season in NHL history. A lot of players had ridiculous bumps in points, it was the year where Jonathan Cheechoo won the Rocket Richard. Not to take anything away from Gionta and Gomez's production that year though, they still had to get the points. However, it is a fluke season, especially for Gionta who never had a season above 70 points apart from 2005-06 (and only one season of 60 points, his second highest after 2005-06).

So to ask if they can be our Lecavalier and St.Louis? Yeah right. Gomez, after two seasons leeching off Jagr in NY, saw his production decrease every year. Do I think he will be better next year than he was last year? Sure, it'll be hard for him not to. But I think expecting Gomez to get anything over 50 points is a huge reach. His game has never changed and he's one of the easiest players to read in the league. I'm sure teams purposely allow him into their zone because they know once he gets in, he usually coughs up the puck.

I have hope for Gionta to reach 60 points, but I don't think Gomez is going to come back in any type of spectacular way.

Old
06-03-2011, 10:40 AM
glenn77

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
No, no they can't be.

In fact, I was preying this morning that we could send Gomez to Dallas for Richards rights. Giving us a crack at him and Dallas a cheaper then his actual cap hit player and #1 centre they now lack. Not likely but hey, that's why I was preying for it.
I wish.
Reality is I think he is Ranger bound. Apparently he really likes Torts as a coach since he played with him in Tampa.

Would love to kick Gomez to the curb for Richards though.

Old
06-03-2011, 10:42 AM
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol

"I'm going to make a prediction. He better not let me down or you can all laugh at me. He's going to go all summer and have a dynamite year," -Don Cherry

When Cherry makes predictions, it's usually because he knows he will be able to play a clip of it months later to show you he was right. So i'm pretty optimistic about this one.

When pacioretty entered the lineup it made an immediate impact wth gomez having a couple multi-point games. I think with patches on his wing for 82 games, gomez will return to form. He has proven success with gionta so there's no excuses, and he knows this is the last straw. If he bounces back, he will BOUNCE BACK, and be the spectacular ofensive force we need. If he doesn't than we can look forward to freeing up 7.3 million next year for the big fish on July 1st.

Old
06-03-2011, 10:46 AM
juve

Cammy and Gomez better stay healthy and start producing this season. We pay 7.5 million for a guy who scored 36 points and 6 million for a guy who never scored 40 goals in a season. I can actually picture Cammy scoring 40 goals next season, doubt Gomez surpasses 45.

Old
06-03-2011, 10:52 AM
FF de Mars

How did Gomez ever score 33 goals in one season ? How ? Rebounds ? Open nets ? I don't even think he scored that many in the 3 seasons since he signed his 7M contract.

Old
06-03-2011, 10:53 AM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24stanleycups View Post
"I'm going to make a prediction. He better not let me down or you can all laugh at me. He's going to go all summer and have a dynamite year," -Don Cherry

When Cherry makes predictions, it's usually because he knows he will be able to play a clip of it months later to show you he was right. So i'm pretty optimistic about this one.

When pacioretty entered the lineup it made an immediate impact wth gomez having a couple multi-point games. I think with patches on his wing for 82 games, gomez will return to form. He has proven success with gionta so there's no excuses, and he knows this is the last straw. If he bounces back, he will BOUNCE BACK, and be the spectacular ofensive force we need. If he doesn't than we can look forward to freeing up 7.3 million next year for the big fish on July 1st.
Here's the thing though. It's not the last straw. Habs are stuck for 3 more years with this horrific contract. I like Gionta, I think he's a very good player with a tonne of heart but Gomez is another story.

Gomez is the best player in the league between the blue lines, he skates incredibly fast and makes some very good plays. I question his skill when inside the blue lines however. His weak shot isn't fooling anyone and unless someone can finish the pass he makes, his rush goes no where. I question his work ethic and heart. He takes bone head penalties at the worst times and there are ZERO consequences when he plays like crap. Can you tell I'm fed up with Gomer and his circus?

Bottom line is this team is seriously handicapped with this guy's salary on the cap. Until he's cleared the Habs will remain outside the elite of the NHL.

my 2cents

Last edited by Drive425: 06-03-2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: grammer
Old
06-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
There is also someone that completes that line called Patrik Elias that's not that bad!!! That year Elias only played 38games and had 45pts!
He's not what he used to be though, I think Pacioretty is the real solution ot that line. In case Gomez goes cold, he will carry it like he did last year hopefully.

Old
06-03-2011, 11:50 AM
GeneralMarky79

its just you bud gomez deserves to be in the AHL or KHL

Old
06-03-2011, 12:03 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

Quote:
Is it just me, or does everyone have a feeling that Gomez is going to bounce back better than ever in 2011/2012?

I have a feeling that Scott Gomez was embaressed this past season and will be working his behind off this summer to be ready to go for the next season in Montreal.

Look at this:

Scott Gomez

Brian Gionta

Something tell's me that Scott Gomez has to bounce back, I honestly believe that he is our Kovalev and this teams success all depends on him, if he is able to put up points with Gionta I am not worried about Cammalleri - Plekanec, defense and the goaltending.

Discuss!
I agree with you 100%. No player wants to be making what hes making and put up 45 points a year and be -15. I dont think his numbers will be like 05-06 but somewhere comparibale to 60-70 points and Gio will put up similar or better numbers. They have great abilities together and playing with Patches for a full season can only make their totals rise.

Old
06-03-2011, 12:06 PM
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
Here's the thing though. It's not the last straw. Habs are stuck for 3 more years with this horrific contract. I like Gionta, I think he's a very good player with a tonne of heart but Gomez is another story.

Gomez is the best player in the league between the blue lines, he skates incredibly fast and makes some very good plays. I question his skill when inside the blue lines however. His weak shot isn't fooling anyone and unless someone can finish the pass he makes, his rush goes no where. I question his work ethic and heart. He takes bone head penalties at the worst times and there are ZERO consequences when he plays like crap. Can you tell I'm fed up with Gomer and his circus?

Bottom line is this team is seriously handicapped with this guy's salary on the cap. Until he's cleared the Habs will remain outside the elite of the NHL.

my 2cents

They're only stuck with it a long as they want to be. If he does not perform this year, he'll go the way of sheldon souray, and wade redden, attempted to be traded, put on waiver's and dropped into the minors. It's that simple. But I think he will return to form. Look at Alex Kovalev in 2008. 84 points. Nobody was expecting that, and he was significantly older than gomez. I truly believe that Pacioretty is the key to his success.

Old
06-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:

Look at this:

Scott Gomez

Brian Gionta

Discuss!
I honestly believe that Gomez just had a bad year. I don't think he's lost a step or any of the skills he once had. I think he became obsessed with trying to score goals at some point in the season because nothing else was working, and he started to make foolish decisions with the puck--i think it was really a confidence issue with him. he still has great vision and i have little doubts, really, that a line with him, Gionta and Pacioretty won't be really good next year.

Old
06-03-2011, 12:27 PM
JackZap

he will bounce back to a solid 48 point season

Old
06-03-2011, 12:52 PM
JohnLennon

I'm finding the anti-Gomez bias around here to be pretty immature and pathetic. He had one off-year and everyone jumps all over him.

Before this season he never had a season under 55 points, and had four 70+ point seasons. Gomez is an outstanding player and truly amazing playoff performer.

He played very well with Max Pacioretty and Brian Gionta last season, and if that line gets back together this coming season and performs well, I see a potential 60-70 point season for Gomez. Maybe not Lecavalier caliber, but very good season nonetheless. People forget how skilled Gomez is at passing: I think this season will tell us if he has really deteriorated or simply had an off-season. He's a great player either way and I for one am happy we have a great mentor such as him on the team.

Old
06-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
I'm finding the anti-Gomez bias around here to be pretty immature and pathetic. He had one off-year and everyone jumps all over him.

Before this season he never had a season under 55 points, and had four 70+ point seasons. Gomez is an outstanding player and truly amazing playoff performer.

He played very well with Max Pacioretty and Brian Gionta last season, and if that line gets back together this coming season and performs well, I see a potential 60-70 point season for Gomez. Maybe not Lecavalier caliber, but very good season nonetheless. People forget how skilled Gomez is at passing: I think this season will tell us if he has really deteriorated or simply had an off-season. He's a great player either way and I for one am happy we have a great mentor such as him on the team.
Even if he isn't all the way back, being the third wheel to a pair of great wingers in Pacioretty and Gionta should give him a great opportunity to rebound. One of the problems with the second line was too often a guy like Moen was or Darche was on the line so Gionta was the only scoring threat from a distance. Pacioretty has the speed, strength and shot to be a threat if you give him the puck from the perimeter of the offensive zone because he can either drive to the net or make his own shot. Diversifying the threat will give both Gionta and Gomez much better opportunities to set up goals.

The other advantage of a healthy lineup is line matching. Cammaleri-Plekanec-Kostitsyn is a terrific power-versus-power line which means the Gomez line is going to get a lot of ice time against lesser opponents.

Old
06-03-2011, 01:06 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Thanks for the laugh my friend. Gomez won't score more than 55-points - and that's a stretch.

Old
06-03-2011, 01:06 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Like pretty much everything discussed on this board these days:

It's possible, but highly unlikely.

Old
06-03-2011, 02:07 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralMarky79 View Post
its just you bud gomez deserves to be in the AHL or KHL
Great idea....maybe the HABS could trade Gomer (and say $21 million to cover remaining contract) in return for a bag of pucks - and the Habs could use the Cap space for a genuine NHL hockey player or 2 NHL planyers!

What if this is...as good a sit gets?

Old
06-03-2011, 02:15 PM
juve

Quote:

When your paying 7 million for a player you expect more than 55 points.

Old
06-03-2011, 02:28 PM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

No. Non. Não. No. Nein.

Old
06-03-2011, 03:01 PM
Drive425

Quote:

When an NHL player gets paid 7 million per and your name is not Chara, people get upset.

Anyway you slice it, Gomez had top 2 minutes at 5v5 and on the PP. 7 goals and 38 points with that kind of ice time is unacceptable at 4 million never mind 7 million.

Old
06-03-2011, 03:04 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

Thanks for the laugh my friend. Gomez won't score more than 55-points - and that's a stretch.

A stretch?

You are being very kind..........delusional(?) may be a more accurate term.

What if this is...as good as it gets?

Old
06-03-2011, 03:05 PM
juve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
When an NHL player gets paid 7 million per and your name is not Chara, people get upset.

Anyway you slice it, Gomez had top 2 minutes at 5v5 and on the PP. 7 goals and 38 points with that kind of ice time is unacceptable at 4 million never mind 7 million.
I guess some people are happy with mediocrity.

Old
06-03-2011, 03:08 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Spoken like a player. I'm pretty sure Gomer is out of shape. If you played, you know. You need the jump. You need to beat guys with speed. Offense is beating guys with speed. Acceleration especially.

Gomer needs to shave 10 or 15, I'm sure of it. If he does not, he's coasting guys.

We'll see, but I'm not sure I'd give a crap if I was him. Why bother? 2 more years, retire at 35, fishing boat in the Barbados with my buddies, for the rest of my life. I won a cup too, so what's left?

Gomer might become the prime example of big money just ruining a player. Just ruined him I think, and I partly understand that.
In all honesty you just described my dream retirement and I'm not even exaggerating it was eerily accurate. For one I love Barbados, for two I live fishing and loved fishing in Barbados, they have amazing fishing down there. Caught a king fish that was nearly 50lbs when I was there deep sea fishing.

Barbados is a country I would consider living in out of all the countries in the Caribbean. A fishing boat? Damn if that's Gomers dream I better think up a way to become best friends with Gomer fast. Come to think of it why would he even care?

Old
06-03-2011, 03:10 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
I honestly believe that Gomez just had a bad year. I don't think he's lost a step or any of the skills he once had. I think he became obsessed with trying to score goals at some point in the season because nothing else was working, and he started to make foolish decisions with the puck--i think it was really a confidence issue with him. he still has great vision and i have little doubts, really, that a line with him, Gionta and Pacioretty won't be really good next year.

That line could have a good year if two things happen:

#1 Max P. must return to the form that he displayed prior to injury (let's hope so).

#2 Gionta and Max P. must be able to 'carry' Gomer through an entire season.

What if this is...as good as it gets?

Closed Thread