HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Hockey my favorite game or it was

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-30-2011, 06:18 PM
  #26
Nalyd Psycho
Registered User
 
Nalyd Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: No Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
John Ferguson on Gary Sabourin, St.Louis, not mutual. Gilles Tremblay/ Reg Fleming circa 1962, each was suspended for the next three Chicago/Montreal games, Bernie Geoffrion/Ron Murphy early 1950;s. Ken Reardon /Hal Gardner(Rangers, late 1940's) Laycoe / Maurice Richard 1955, Ted Lindsay/Bill Ezinicki late 1940's/early 1950's.Shack/Zeidel late 1960's.

From the 1970:s Paiement/Polonich, Forbes/Boucha.

Junior Jean-Guy Talbot on Scotty Bowman, not mutual, early 1950's.

There were a few others.
Interesting that they did that, but actually a really good idea for suspensions that are designed to prevent retaliation.

__________________
Every post comes with the Nalyd Psycho Seal of Approval.
Nalyd Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 06:24 PM
  #27
Canadiens1958
Registered User
 
Canadiens1958's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,587
vCash: 500
Schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Interesting that they did that, but actually a really good idea for suspensions that are designed to prevent retaliation.
Early in the season during the O6 era when teams played each other 14 times a season. Not practical given the scheduling in today's NHL

Canadiens1958 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 09:39 PM
  #28
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks
 
LeBlondeDemon10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomtemperature View Post
Football is a very violent game. Fighting in football with the helmets face masks and pads would just be stupid and a waste of time thus they don't allow it. Same reason they don't allow players to take off their helmet to trash talk it wasted time.
The nature of hockey and football is contact so I and maybe others don't consider that violence. You are not penalized by making a hard, clean tackle or check. However, if you purposely try to hurt someone with a hit, ala Matt Cooke, then that is violence, and it is penalized (most of the time). Fighting is not the nature of either sport, it is penalized in each sport, less so in hockey. If you fight in football you are automatically out of the game. It is not tolerated. Hockey, throughout its history in North America, has tolerated and promoted fighting (see 1970's Flyers) with little deterrence. I believe you are out of the game if you fight in baseball as well. I don't know about basketball.

The only time that I have seen violence overlooked or considered acceptable in a sport with its origins in the US is in baseball. For years it was an unwritten rule that if you hit a home run, you got beaned the next time up or the hitter after you got plunked. It was usually in the ribs, but there have been many of pitchers who threw at the head, even in the days before helmets. Now this sort of behavior is not acceptable in baseball, especially if you throw at the head.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:08 AM
  #29
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 40,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post
If my memory is correct, Americans have generally denounced violence in hockey and sport.
Are you serious? Americans generally denounce violence in sport? Give your head a shake, man!


Quote:
Baseball - fighting is very rare.
Two weeks ago.



When was the last time anything close to that happened in the NHL? Years ago? Decades?



Quote:
Its [possible that the Americans who have watched the Bruins, Rangers and Hawks over the years have grown accustomed to violence in hockey

No mention of the Flyers? The Wings/Avs rivalry? The May/Ray combo in Buffalo? Did you realize it's been over a decade since a PIM leader played in Canada? For goodness sake, you think only three fanbases out of 24 have any idea that violence is a part of hockey culture?

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:16 AM
  #30
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker
 
Iain Fyffe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
When was the last time anything close to that happened in the NHL? Years ago? Decades?
When was the last time two baseball players punched each other repeatedly in the face, only to be given a brief breather while being applauded by the commentators as really sticking up for their teammates? How many baseball players get paid to intentionally punch other players in the face?

When fights do happen in baseball, it often escalates into something bigger. That doesn't happen in hockey because there are strict rules in place about jumping off the bench when a fight breaks out. But just because something happened last week doesn't mean it's not a rare occurrence.

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:21 AM
  #31
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker
 
Iain Fyffe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
No mention of the Flyers? The Wings/Avs rivalry? The May/Ray combo in Buffalo? Did you realize it's been over a decade since a PIM leader played in Canada? For goodness sake, you think only three fanbases out of 24 have any idea that violence is a part of hockey culture?
There's no denying that Americans have done nothing to curtail the violence in the NHL. But the claim was that violence was introduced into the NHL to appeal to American fans, which is total BS.

As for the Flyers, have a look at where they came from. Is it Flin Flon, Massachussets? Or Moose Jaw, Minnesota? Or Kitchener, Michigan?

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 09:55 AM
  #32
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 40,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Fyffe View Post
When was the last time two baseball players punched each other repeatedly in the face, only to be given a brief breather while being applauded by the commentators as really sticking up for their teammates? How many baseball players get paid to intentionally punch other players in the face?

When fights do happen in baseball, it often escalates into something bigger. That doesn't happen in hockey because there are strict rules in place about jumping off the bench when a fight breaks out. But just because something happened last week doesn't mean it's not a rare occurrence.
You're missing the point. Fighting happens all the time in baseball. Watch a full baseball season and you will see numerous bench clearings... and they're a LOT more vicious than hockey fights with players kicking each other and throwing sucker punches. Just because it's against the rules doesn't mean Americans won't watch the replay 100 times on Sportscenter.

Yeah, one-on-one fights are rarer in baseball than in hockey. So what? It's just trading one type of fight for another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Fyffe View Post
As for the Flyers, have a look at where they came from. Is it Flin Flon, Massachussets? Or Moose Jaw, Minnesota? Or Kitchener, Michigan?
What difference does it make? The fans in the stands who are paying to see them are from Philadelphia, PA.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 10:05 AM
  #33
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker
 
Iain Fyffe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
You're missing the point.
No, you're missing the point. It was claimed that the NHL was nice and clean, until they decided to cater to the Americans and allow fighting and violence into the game.

There's no denying that American NHL fans like violence. But claiming that Canadian NHL fans don't is simply wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
What difference does it make? The fans in the stands who are paying to see them are from Philadelphia, PA.
Because the discussion is about when violence was introduced in the NHL. The answer to that: from day one, long before there were any US teams in the league.

And still, compared to hockey, baseball fights are rare. They attract more attention when they do happen, because they escalate more, but they are far less common, especially when you remember that MLB has twice the number of games than the NHL, which skews the numbers when you "watch a full season"

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 11:05 AM
  #34
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 40,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Fyffe View Post
No, you're missing the point.
No, YOU'RE missing the point. The post you quoted was a response to the following statement: "Americans have generally denounced violence in hockey and sport." Not to the OP.

Quote:
There's no denying that American NHL fans like violence. But claiming that Canadian NHL fans don't is simply wrong.
Nobody claimed that.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 11:39 AM
  #35
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker
 
Iain Fyffe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
The post you quoted was a response to the following statement: "Americans have generally denounced violence in hockey and sport." Not to the OP.
Sorry if going a bit tangential is too much for you. I'm discussing things in the context of the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
Expansion however changed all that. In order to satisfy the American thirst for violence in the coliseum...

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 12:09 PM
  #36
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 40,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Fyffe View Post
Sorry if going a bit tangential is too much for you. I'm discussing things in the context of the OP:
So you're just going to ignore the context of my replies and pretend they're responses to the OP?

Ok then, have fun with that.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.