HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Trade Brings Erixon From Calgary

Old
06-03-2011, 01:42 PM
94now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Scapegoat for poor goaltending? What poor goaltending? The February performance was, all-around, an awful month. No one was playing well, and the only reason we won a game or two in there was goaltending, because the team couldn't hit the ocean from a ship.
Look, I can take scapegoat word back (although kid have the right to think that way if he wishes). Just don't tell me that the team improved after that subtraction. This team lives and dies by Hank. He picked it up down the stretch and finished remarkably above 0.92 on the season, but he was subpar in Feb, although schedule didn't help the cause. The team played about the same all the time.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 01:45 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Look, I can take scapegoat word back (although kid have the right to think that way if he wishes). Just don't tell me that the team improved after that subtraction. This team lives and dies by Hank. He picked it up down the stretch and finished remarkably above 0.92 on the season, but he was subpar in Feb, although schedule didn't help the cause.
The difference between McCabe and Del Zotto was negligible at best; neither of them did much on the powerplay, although McCabe scored an extremely important goal on the powerplay against the Flyers. McCabe was awful, as was Del Zotto.

06-03-2011, 01:47 PM
94now

Quote:
Scapegoat for poor goaltending? What poor goaltending? The February performance was, all-around, an awful month. No one was playing well, and the only reason we won a game or two in there was goaltending, because the team couldn't hit the ocean from a ship.
Look, I can take scapegoat word back (although kid have the right to think that way if he wishes). Just don't tell me that the team improved after that subtraction. This team lives and dies by Hank. He picked it up down the stretch and finished remarkably above 0.92 on the season, but he was subpar in Feb, although schedule didn't help the cause.

Old
06-03-2011, 02:18 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I think that MDZ's main problem as a PP QB was that he didn't have anyone with a good point shot to feed the puck to. A lot of his points his rookie season came because other teams had to respect Kotalik's howitzer from the point and MDZ was great at exploiting that. Unfortunately, the Rangers have not been able to provide MDZ with a good partner on the point.

In that sense, Erixon might actually help MDZ in his role as PP QB with his big shot, but I doubt the Rangers are going to risk having both of them running the PP blue line this season at least.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 02:23 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
it's not goaltending that resulted in him putting up poor numbers and struggling on the power play. He proved he wasn't "good" last year, though I don't believe it's indicative of his abilities long term. He just had a bad year and didn't get comfortable
I don't disagree with that. Except I am not sure what did you mean by PP struggle. IMO, special teams is the only part where coach is more to blame than players. McCabe was the same. If players do not make the difference, then new coach should. Didn't team know that torts is due for contract extention? Sure they knew. May be they wanted him to go away and let it up a notch in Feb.

Old
06-03-2011, 02:25 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
In that sense, Erixon might actually help MDZ in his role as PP QB with his big shot, but I doubt the Rangers are going to risk having both of them running the PP blue line this season at least.
I don't know, if they were willing to utilize players like Wolski/Stepan/MZA back there on the point, I would not be surprised.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 06:04 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
I think that MDZ's main problem as a PP QB was that he didn't have anyone with a good point shot to feed the puck to. A lot of his points his rookie season came because other teams had to respect Kotalik's howitzer from the point and MDZ was great at exploiting that. Unfortunately, the Rangers have not been able to provide MDZ with a good partner on the point.

I don't think Del Zotto's problems running the power play had very much to do with why he was sent down to the minors. The biggest problems were consistantly trying to make the homerun pass from the defensive zone (something teams figured out how to defend against even before the end of Del Zotto's first year) and the general inability to get the puck moving out of the defensive zone either by making a clean first pass or by skating it out. It was pretty obvious to me that Del Zotto was hesitating (perhaps thinking too much) before making a play--making it easy for the opposiing team to read what he was about to do.

I don't know what the reason(s) are for Del Zotto's problems--but, once the league figured out his game, they were very successful in picking him apart. And that led to a lack of confidence, which only made the problems worse. It may be that Del Zotto is really going to have to learn something more than following his instincts--something that got him into the NHL, but may not be enough to fulfill his potential.

It's too bad he got hurt so soon after going to Hartford--he needed to play. But, he's young and there's time for him to figure it all out. Hopefully, last season was just a bump in the road to a long, successful NHL career.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 06:06 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
The difference between McCabe and Del Zotto was negligible at best; neither of them did much on the powerplay, although McCabe scored an extremely important goal on the powerplay against the Flyers. McCabe was awful, as was Del Zotto.
I agree, McCabe was pretty awful.

Slow, not effective offensively, bad defensively.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 06:09 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I want to know more about these "maturity" issues we keep seeing references to regarding MDZ.... Is it a matter of him being too sure or confident of himself and thinking after his rookie season that he "made it" ? A matter of him not acknowledging the hard work and level of commitment required to stay in the league and retain his roster spot? When we heard he was training with Stamkos and Gary Roberts in the off-season, I was really pumped for his sophomore season, thinking he was going to come into camp in tremendous shape and be ready physically & mentally to improve on his rookie season. I was a bit taken back by this setback. I'm wondering what he's going to do different this season to prepare himself and put himself in a better position to succeed. I don't really know how he's doing to do it but I hope he does.

Does anyone think an element of him over-thinking his actions on the ice has to do with a fear of being benched by Torts? Perhaps Torts needs to take steps to meet with the player to eliminate this mental block if that's the issue, because he'll never play confidently on the ice if he's always concerned about the repercussions for making mistakes.

Old
06-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I want to know more about these "maturity" issues we keep seeing references to regarding MDZ.... Is it a matter of him being too sure or confident of himself and thinking after his rookie season that he "made it" ? A matter of him not acknowledging the hard work and level of commitment required to stay in the league and retain his roster spot? When we heard he was training with Stamkos and Gary Roberts in the off-season, I was really pumped for his sophomore season, thinking he was going to come into camp in tremendous shape and be ready physically & mentally to improve on his rookie season. I was a bit taken back by this setback. I'm wondering what he's going to do different this season to prepare himself and put himself in a better position to succeed. I don't really know how he's doing to do it but I hope he does.

Does anyone think an element of him over-thinking his actions on the ice has to do with a fear of being benched by Torts? Perhaps Torts needs to take steps to meet with the player to eliminate this mental block if that's the issue, because he'll never play confidently on the ice if he's always concerned about the repercussions for making mistakes.
I don't think Del Zotto's problems stem from bad coaching--or perhaps a better way of saying it would be impatient coaching--it really seemed last year that Del Zotto was just doing the same thing over and over again, even though what he was doing didn't lead to any real success. Maybe he was too headstrong and thought he didn't need to learn anything more, that what he had was more than good enough. Hopefully, what happened showed him he has a lot more to learn to be successful at the NHL level and that he can't just go on instinct anymore.

There's not that much time between games at the NHL level to do much teaching--I know that it was mentioned many times that the coaching staff was working with Del Zotto between games, but it sure didn't change what he was doing on the ice. I hope it's just a case of a young player being immature and needing a wakeup call. But, I don't think the problems are rooted in the way Tortorella treated him or the threat of losing ice time.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 06:37 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
I don't think Del Zotto's problems stem from bad coaching--or perhaps a better way of saying it would be impatient coaching--it really seemed last year that Del Zotto was just doing the same thing over and over again, even though what he was doing didn't lead to any real success. Maybe he was too headstrong and thought he didn't need to learn anything more, that what he had was more than good enough. Hopefully, what happened showed him he has a lot more to learn to be successful at the NHL level and that he can't just go on instinct anymore.
To tell the truth, I wasn't overly concerned about his defensive play this past season. I think there were 3 turnovers in particular that lead to goals against, that people concentrated on and blew way out of proportion (one of which should have been a hooking penalty behind the net and lead to a PP). However, the fact that his offensive game was missing was a big concern and I think that had a lot more to do with him being sent down than any defensive shortcomings. Offense is MDZ's strength, and if he's not contributing in that regard, he's not of much value to the team being in the starting line-up.

Quote:
There's not that much time between games at the NHL level to do much teaching--I know that it was mentioned many times that the coaching staff was working with Del Zotto between games, but it sure didn't change what he was doing on the ice. I hope it's just a case of a young player being immature and needing a wakeup call. But, I don't think the problems are rooted in the way Tortorella treated him or the threat of losing ice time.
Just to be clear, I'm not saying any portion of the problem stems from Tortorella's actions. The blame lies on MDZ's shoulders. But, if he's playing nervous out there because of fear of being benched, it's the coach's responsibility to work with the player to address that issue and help him get back on track and focus.

I wonder of Schoenfeld is still working with the defensemen during practices.