HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Buffalo or STL roster? (they're similar)

View Poll Results: Buffalo or STL roster?
Buffalo Sabres 47 35.88%
St. Louis Blues 84 64.12%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-02-2011, 09:39 PM
Elever
Hth

vCash: 500
Buffalo or STL roster? (they're similar)

Something I just noticed....these teams have similar rosters but which is better for the near-future?

Everyone knows about the roster depth for forwards for both Buffalo and STL. I think Philadelphia are the only team who can be compared in terms of amount of top six forwards (keep in mind that some are gonna become FAs like Conolly). Buffalo has:
Roy, Vanek, Connolly, Ennis, Stafford, Boyes (might not be anymore), and Gerbe (think he will be next year). Guys like Hecht and Gaustad aren't bad to have either on the third line.

STL has:
McDonald, Backes, Steen, Stewart, Perron, Oshie, Berglund, and D'Agostini. Other good players to have like Sobotka although the fourth line can use some depth.

Both teams have some good prospects up front, Blues are better in terms of quality (probably) with Tarasenko but Sabres have Kassian, Foligno, and Adams.

In net, both teams have starters that they're fairly confident in although neither have won gotten to a cup final (Halak/Miller). Allen (Blues) and Enroth (Buffalo) provide some good young goalies.

On defence, the best dman on both team was selected from the '08 draft (Petro and Myers). There isn't really as good of a second dman. Shattenkirk provides some good offense for the Blues but his defence isn't ideal for top line minutes and the same might apply to Granagni or Sekera on Buffalo. Blues are slightly deeper in terms of actual defense I think especially with Polak and Colaiacovo. Blues have good young dman prospects like Cole and Nikitin, Sabres have McNabb and Pysyk.

Both these teams can use an upgrade and might need to add a 1b or at least another top four dman. Neither really have that dynamic game changing high scoring star player (Vanek would be the closest thing) but they have plenty of depth up front and with good prospects in the system. They can both use a boost to their prospects on the back end.

Which roster do you like more? I like the STL roster slightly more especially with those forwards but I'd take Buffalo instead. I think they're fairly close but Buffalo has better prospects who haven't graduated and the tie-breaker is that with a new owner, Buffalo are more likely to spend to the cap, sign some free agents, and challenge for a cup when they're ready while the hockey market in STL might struggle causing some financial strains.

Old
06-02-2011, 10:34 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
The Sabres are a better team now but I think St.Louis will be a much better team a few years from now.

Old
06-02-2011, 11:27 PM
Ovechking

vCash: 1355
Blues fo sho

Old
06-02-2011, 11:30 PM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

vCash: 300
The Blues will have a strong team for sure but I'll stick with the Sabres. Miller is one of the best in the NHL when he's on and you can't match that.

Old
06-03-2011, 12:04 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

St. Louis on paper, Buffalo in reality.

Old
06-03-2011, 01:42 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
St. Louis on paper, Buffalo in reality.
That is probably the best way to look at it. I feel if both teams are healthy, the Blues take this. But over the course of a season the Sabres have the money to have more NHL-quality depth that can keep them afloat when the inevitable injuries start to occur.

Old
06-03-2011, 03:11 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Oshie wins this Poll

Old
06-03-2011, 07:53 AM
tony d
The franchise

Buffalo

06-03-2011, 03:19 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
I wouldn't trade the Blues roster for any roster. But, I am not sure how they are going afford all those players soon. Hopefully the new owner has deep pockets when they find one.

Old
06-03-2011, 03:41 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Buffalo is a better team now because they're more cohesive and more mature. But the biggest parts of the Blues' roster have more room to grow. They had the tenth best offense in the league without Perron, no Oshie or McDonald for half the year, and only twenty-six games of Shattenkirk and Stewart. No improvement, just staying healthier and full seasons from the new guys could mean a team that's very difficult to stop. It could be as soon as 11-12 that the Blues are clearly ahead, just depends on how confident you are in that happening. Sure thing vs. calculated risk.

Old
06-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Blues better up front?Oh I guess the Sabres outscoring them the last 6 seasons means nothing.Sabres prospects are of course underrated on HF,not like we don't have 3 straight AHL ROTY's... and all of our top forwards are 29 and under, but of course HF votes for the prospects with big names who have really done nothing.

Sabres, in every aspect.

Compare the top player at each position for the teams.

Myers>Pietrangelo
Miller>>>Halak
Vanek OR ROY>oshie

Old
06-03-2011, 05:36 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
Blues better up front?Oh I guess the Sabres outscoring them the last 6 seasons means nothing.Sabres prospects are of course underrated on HF,not like we don't have 3 straight AHL ROTY's... and all of our top forwards are 29 and under, but of course HF votes for the prospects with big names who have really done nothing.

Sabres, in every aspect.

Myers>Pietrangelo
Miller>>>Halak
Vanek OR ROY>oshie
You are correct that the Sabres are more proven and better right now. Miller is also better than Halak. Vanek and Roy's comparison to Oshie is...strange but whatever. But you are flat out wrong that Myers is better than Pietrangelo.

Old
06-03-2011, 05:38 PM
Stang

Quote:
Myers>Pietrangelo
You are joking right?

Old
06-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Loungie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post
You are joking right?
You're kidding me right?

Wait...who won calder?

Old
06-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Quote:

Sabres, in every aspect.

Myers>Pietrangelo
Miller>>>Halak
Vanek OR ROY>oshie
The OP asked who is better for the near future. Our top forwards are all young as well except McDonald if that counts for anything, but of course you have to sound childish when people don't choose your favorite team. I agree, Sabres have a very potent offense at the moment, but Blues aren't far behind either, and no offense, but I would rather have Tarasenko/Schwartz than Kassian/Adam.

Congrats your prospects won ROTY, thats actually quite an accomplishment, but until they play in the NHL, I think neither side's prospects have "accomplished" anything, therefore we're equal there.

I would say Myers and Pietrangelo are about equal, Miller is no doubt better than Halak, but really? You think Oshie is our best forward? I can tell you don't even watch the Blues, so basically your making an argument out of nothing. Backes, Berglund, Perron(when healthy), Stewart and McDonald are all better than Oshie right now in the forward position.

Old
06-03-2011, 06:54 PM
PietroOshieLo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loungie View Post
You're kidding me right?

Wait...who won calder?
Andrew Raycroft. Steve Mason.

Not a knock on Myers at all, but having a great rookie season doesn't necessarily mean that one player is better than the other.

Old
06-03-2011, 07:03 PM
The Note
Overrated

Quote:

Sabres, in every aspect.

Myers>Pietrangelo
Miller>>>Halak
Vanek OR ROY>oshie
If you're going to compare your best forward vs our best forward at least get our best forward right Stewart OR healthy Perron . All of our top forwards are under 29 as well except for AMac. And if Petro would've been Calder eligible I really think he'd get some serious looks, may not win it against Couture, Skinner, or Grabner, but he'd be there. Really the only thing you can't make a case for is that Miller is clearly better than Halak. They're both good young teams no one's trashing the Sabres.

Old
06-03-2011, 07:11 PM
ZemgusWho
Play for 2013+

Most shockingly one sided poll I've ever seen. Has this thread come directly from the Blues board?

My stance is largely due to the fact that I see more depth on the Buffalo side on the farm, I think they're elite young players are more accomplished than the Blues' elite young players, and that I think Buffalo is closer now than St. Louis now, which skews me in favor of thinking the Sabres might have better players.

The only major point of contention the other way is that I think the West is stronger.

But anyway, hope the Blues have a better season. They were my dark horse finals pick this season. and well, we see how well that Blues V Sabres finals came through. Guess this is why I post on HF Boards and not write about hockey for a living.

Old
06-03-2011, 07:23 PM
ct2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouBlues View Post
If you're going to compare your best forward vs our best forward at least get our best forward right Stewart OR healthy Perron . All of our top forwards are under 29 as well except for AMac. And if Petro would've been Calder eligible I really think he'd get some serious looks, may not win it against Couture, Skinner, or Grabner, but he'd be there. Really the only thing you can't make a case for is that Miller is clearly better than Halak. They're both good young teams no one's trashing the Sabres.
All of the signed forwards (and of the UFAs probably only McCormick will be re-signed) other than Hecht are 29 or under as well.

The Sabres had one of the youngest, if not the youngest defense in the playoffs and could have 4-5 d-men under 25 on their roster next season (Myers, Butler, Sekera, Gragnani, Weber).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacheesh View Post
The OP asked who is better for the near future. Our top forwards are all young as well except McDonald if that counts for anything, but of course you have to sound childish when people don't choose your favorite team.
See response above.

Quote:
I agree, Sabres have a very potent offense at the moment, but Blues aren't far behind either, and no offense, but I would rather have Tarasenko/Schwartz than Kassian/Adam.
The strength of the Sabres' prospect pool is clearly in their defense. It's one of the deepest and there are several potential top 3 d-men. There are PMD, stay-at-home d-men and two-way d-men that have a realistic chance to make it to the top 4 some day. Their forward prospects are nothing to brag about, they have some nice pieces, but overall not enough high-end skill.

Currently they have a great set of wingers, garbage center depth and a mediocre defense. With the depth of defense prospects and hopefully some maturing of their young D their defense will hopefully be stabilized in a few years.

Quote:
I would say Myers and Pietrangelo are about equal, Miller is no doubt better than Halak, but really? You think Oshie is our best forward? I can tell you don't even watch the Blues, so basically your making an argument out of nothing. Backes, Berglund, Perron(when healthy), Stewart and McDonald are all better than Oshie right now in the forward position.
Agree there. Doubt any of the other team's fans has seen both enough to make a unbiased judgement and their roles, stats are close enough to make them about on-par.

The results of this poll are a little shocking tbh, it depends what the "future" is considered to be, but for atleast the next 3-4 years, I'll take the Sabres roster. All of their key players are currently, entering or coming closer to their prime. I expected it closer to 50:50 than 80:20.

Last edited by ct2111: 06-03-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old
06-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Gold Pads*
HE SHOOTS HE SCORES!

Blues

Old
06-04-2011, 02:13 PM
Elever
Hth

Yeah I'm also shocked at how one-sided it is, especially since you know that injury prone teams will continue to have injuries and I'd expect that to apply to STL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronin View Post
My stance is largely due to the fact that I see more depth on the Buffalo side on the farm, I think they're elite young players are more accomplished than the Blues' elite young players, and that I think Buffalo is closer now than St. Louis now, which skews me in favor of thinking the Sabres might have better players.

Same here, Buffalo have guys like Mancari who are helpful tweeners, I see a bit less depth on the 3rd/4th in STL.

See a bit more depth for Buffalo's prospects too but they don't have a Tarasenko. Also, Jake Allen is projected to be better than Enroth no?

I think I'm gonna go with Buffalo though, simply because they have a owner who's willing to spend now. $4 M to Stafford who had a 30 goal season but has been inconsistent in the past is quite the statement. I just hope that it doesn't set a precedence for their next RFAs and UFAs to get those high amounts. STL have done pretty well with recent cap hits (a lot of reasonable cap hits for the next few years like Steen, Stewart at the moment, Berglund, Polak...there really isn't any guy being overpaid in terms of the ones who have $2 M+).

Old
06-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Jzk

vCash: 4000
The Sabres had 4 20+ goal scorers last year and the Blues had 6. The Blues also had 2 40 point dmen where the Sabres didn't have any. The Blues scoring depth is only getting better. I think the poll speaks for itself.

Old
06-04-2011, 02:48 PM
Hampe
The Hampster

The Blues.

Old
06-04-2011, 05:46 PM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

vCash: 300
I'm quite surprised at the landslide this has become. The Sabres underachieved this year and still got to almost 100 points.

Old
06-04-2011, 11:52 PM
journeyman79

Quote:

Sabres, in every aspect.

Myers>Pietrangelo
Miller>>>Halak
Vanek OR ROY>oshie
first off Myers is not better than Pietrangelo, and second I love how you sum up the Blues offense with just Oshie but yet your own teams with BOTH Vanek and Roy.

well...pick one. Is it Vanek or Roy?

Closed Thread