HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Beers

View Poll Results: What do we brew?
TJ Oshmeal Stout 1 3.70%
David Bockes 4 14.81%
Jaroslav Halager 6 22.22%
Pietrang-ale-o 15 55.56%
Beer is bad, go away 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-03-2011, 11:23 AM
OhNoLookOutRUN

vCash: 100
Beers

A friend of mine and I brew beer. We're going to make a special batch or two this season to enjoy while watching Blues games, but we can't decide on what we'll be making. I'd love opinions on what sounds most appealing to you guys.

OhNoLookOutRUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 01:29 PM
EOM

vCash: 500
Haha awesome. I think I'll go with Pietrang-ale-o because ales are my favorite, but Jaroslav Halager is the best name.

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 01:42 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Umm, well considering that there are 82 games, why not make them all?

I'm not really sure how big of a batch you make, but if you and a buddy are drinking them, surely you can down a batch every twenty games or so...

Also, it depends on when you make them. The TJ Oshmeal Stout would go well in December and January, while the Jaroslav Halager would probably go better in the month leading up to the playoffs (and IN the playoffs ). The Pietrang-ale-o would be good in October and November, etc.

They all sound good.

You should add an "All of the above" option.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 01:45 PM
Jzk

vCash: 4000
Jaroslav Halager

I've been on a wheat beer binge as of late.

Jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Robb_K

Got to be David Bockes! Bock beer is the best! Vat scrapings. I love beer with some meat (taste)! I love the smell of the open vats. I lived for 6 years in Bremen, Germany, downwind from the Beck's Brauerei. It was a wonderful smell in the Spring when they cleaned the vats.

Who can love a weak lager when one can have hearty brews like bock, or stout or ale? Beer is NOT just a method for injecting alcohol into one's system to get high or drunk. It's all about enjoying unique tastes.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 11:45 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

I like stouts, but I like them plain...no coffee or oatmeal. I also like Ales and Bocks. Ales work better during the summer than bocks. Bocks work well during the fall and winter. So, my take......make the Petro Ale for preseason and the bock in October.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 11:47 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Got to be David Bockes! Bock beer is the best! Vat scrapings. I love beer with some meat (taste)! I love the smell of the open vats. I lived for 6 years in Bremen, Germany, downwind from the Beck's Brauerei. It was a wonderful smell in the Spring when they cleaned the vats.

Who can love a weak lager when one can have hearty brews like bock, or stout or ale? Beer is NOT just a method for injecting alcohol into one's system to get high or drunk. It's all about enjoying unique tastes.
Doppelbocks rock!

Also, I agree about the taste factor.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 01:06 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
Doppelbocks rock!

Also, I agree about the taste factor.
Absolutely. I'm a fan of saisons myself. Just pick up some dirt and throw it in there!

As the tour guide on my bus tour of King Ludwig's castles told me: "A half liter of beer a day is good for you."

RobbK, have you ever been to Bruges, Belgium?

Old
06-04-2011, 01:33 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
As the tour guide on my bus tour of King Ludwig's castles told me: "A half liter of beer a day is good for you."
He was absolutely right.

I took that tour in 1985, when I was over there with the 10th United States Cavalry. All three of the castles are awesome, but Neuschwanstein is beyond belief.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 01:33 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Absolutely. I'm a fan of saisons myself. Just pick up some dirt and throw it in there!

RobbK, have you ever been to Bruges, Belgium?
Yes, (but we Dutchmen and Flemings call it Brugge (bridgehead)). My father's family came from Antwerpen (Antwerp) before moving to Den Haag(The Hague) in the 1870s. I still have family (who I visit for a few weeks every year) in Antwerpen, Brussel (Brussels) and Luik (Liége), Belgium.

But why do you ask? Do your favourite beers come from there?

Old
06-04-2011, 01:45 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
He was absolutely right.

I took that tour in 1985, when I was over there with the 10th United States Cavalry. All three of the castles are awesome, but Neuschwanstein is beyond belief.
I know something about Bayern and South Germany. I work in a studio in Munich 3 months each year(last 26 years), and we often visit my business partner's sister's house in The Alps (Tegernsee). They have good bier down there, as well.

Old
06-04-2011, 01:52 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Yes, (but we Dutchmen and Flemings call it Brugge (bridgehead)). My father's family came from Antwerpen (Antwerp) before moving to Den Haag(The Hague) in the 1870s. I still have family (who I visit for a few weeks every year) in Antwerpen, Brussel (Brussels) and Luik (Liége), Belgium.

But why do you ask? Do your favourite beers come from there?
Hahaha, well, my favorite beers tend to come from Belgium and Brugge is the only place I've spent the night in Belgium. (Had a couple of hours in Brussel switching train.)

Long story short, back in 2007 when I was there I was staying in a hostel and after having several Duvals at the hostel bar, I wondered back to my room. There was an older gentleman in there with a white beard who was a Blues fan. He was visiting Brugge to go to a museum to look at a painting. I had enjoyed myself a bit too much, and this was when I was just starting to become a die-hard fan, so I didn't really talk to him much about them, though I regret it. Anyway, I've been wondering for a while if that might have been you. (Since your the only Blues fan in Europe with a white beard... )

Either way, Brugge was beautiful and well worth the visit.

Old
06-04-2011, 02:00 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Hahaha, well, my favorite beers tend to come from Belgium and Brugge is the only place I've spent the night in Belgium. (Had a couple of hours in Brussel switching train.)

Long story short, back in 2007 when I was there I was staying in a hostel and after having several Duvals at the hostel bar, I wondered back to my room. There was an older gentleman in there with a white beard who was a Blues fan. He was visiting Brugge to go to a museum to look at a painting. I had enjoyed myself a bit too much, and this was when I was just starting to become a die-hard fan, so I didn't really talk to him much about them, though I regret it. Anyway, I've been wondering for a while if that might have been you. (Since your the only Blues fan in Europe with a white beard... )

Either way, Brugge was beautiful and well worth the visit.
You were right to assume that the photo in my avatar is of me.

Did the Blues' fan have a Canadian accent? Actually, it couldn't have been me. The only museum I've visited in Belgium since the 1960s is the Comics Museum in Brussels. And, if it had been me, and I had found out you were a Blues' fan, I'd probably have "chewed your ear off".

Old
06-04-2011, 02:23 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

I figured the odds were slim, but stranger things have happened.

I just wish I was as involved with this hockey message board back then. I was backpacking with a Eurail pass for a month and visited six countries. It would have been awesome to drink a beer with a fellow Blues fan and talk hockey on the other side of the planet.

I did get to go to a Praha Sparta HC game and see Petr Nedved score a goal in their 3-1 victory over Litvinov.

Oh, and Sparta was defending national champs, so they had their trophy there.

Last edited by bluemandan: 06-04-2011 at 02:30 AM.
Old
06-04-2011, 02:34 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
I figured the odds were slim, but stranger things have happened.

I just wish I was as involved with this hockey message board back then. I was backpacking with a Eurail pass for a month and visited six countries. It would have been awesome to drink a beer with a fellow Blues fan and talk hockey on the other side of the planet.

I did get to go to a Praha Sparta HC game and see Petr Nedved score a goal in their 3-1 victory over Litvinov.

Oh, and Sparta was defending national champs, so they had their trophy there.
Seems to me I remember you as a member of The Blues' Official NHL Forum back in 2007. I remember asking you if you were a Native American from The Mandan tribe ("Blue Mandan"). I used to work for The Mandan/Hitatsa Tribal Reservation in northern Montana (footwork on developing a small shopping centre). You didn't answer that post. I guess I must have seemed like a dunce, not figuring out that you're name is Dan, and you're making a play on words using the "Blue Man Group" (Blue Man Dan).

You're up pretty late for St. Louis. Or are you on The West Coast?

Last edited by Robb_K: 06-04-2011 at 02:44 AM.
Old
06-04-2011, 02:43 AM
BlueBeard

vCash: 50
No love for the Witbiers? I spent some time in Brugge, Brussels, and
Southern Holland(Maastricht) in what seems like a different lifetime ago now...and I got absolutely hooked on Witbiers while I was there. Even though I hate the stuff I miss being able to get four or five Heinekens out of a vending machine at hotels when I would crash after a gig. There is just something about buying beer out of a vending machine...

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 09:12 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Seems to me I remember you as a member of The Blues' Official NHL Forum back in 2007. I remember asking you if you were a Native American from The Mandan tribe ("Blue Mandan"). I used to work for The Mandan/Hitatsa Tribal Reservation in northern Montana (footwork on developing a small shopping centre). You didn't answer that post. I guess I must have seemed like a dunce, not figuring out that you're name is Dan, and you're making a play on words using the "Blue Man Group" (Blue Man Dan).

You're up pretty late for St. Louis. Or are you on The West Coast?
I have a vague recollection of that, sorry for not responding. You got it right though, Blue Man Dan/Blues Man Dan.

I work at a pizza delivery driver at Imo's right now, so I often don't get off work until after midnight or 1am. Works well since I'm pretty nocturnal, although being around all that delicious pizza isn't working so well for my waist-line.

I got scared off from that place, luckily I found this place.

Old
06-04-2011, 09:49 AM
milieu bluez

More stuff like this please. Love it.

milieu bluez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 12:40 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
I have a vague recollection of that, sorry for not responding. You got it right though, Blue Man Dan/Blues Man Dan.

I work at a pizza delivery driver at Imo's right now, so I often don't get off work until after midnight or 1am. Works well since I'm pretty nocturnal, although being around all that delicious pizza isn't working so well for my waist-line.

I got scared off from that place, luckily I found this place.
Yes, there's much too much trolling on The Blues' Official NHL Message Board. It's not worth wading through all the OT and juvenile garbage posted there to find very little serious and knowledgeable talk about hockey. This is, by far, the best St. Louis Blues forum.

Old
06-05-2011, 10:33 PM
OhNoLookOutRUN

vCash: 100
Pietrang-ale-o it is. I think I'm going to try to re-create Delirium Tremens with this one, as I love DT and I've wanted to give it a shot for a while. I think we'll do Halager next, since we've just (finally) picked up everything we need to regulate temperatures enough to lager properly.

Thanks for the input and discussion, guys.

OhNoLookOutRUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 10:44 PM
BlueBeard

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNoLookOutRUN View Post
Pietrang-ale-o it is. I think I'm going to try to re-create Delirium Tremens with this one, as I love DT and I've wanted to give it a shot for a while. I think we'll do Halager next, since we've just (finally) picked up everything we need to regulate temperatures enough to lager properly.

What kind of setup are you using? I've been considering getting into doing some home brews myself and have been looking at the starter kits from places like Austin Home Brew but I really don't know where to start with it.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 10:45 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNoLookOutRUN View Post

Whew, that's a nice beer. I wish you luck in your venture, and be sure to drag this thread out when its done and let us know how it turns out.

Old
06-06-2011, 12:51 AM
Robb_K

Piet-rang-ale-O is nice. But what about "Eddy Beers"?

That wouldn't mean a lot to a really young Blues fan. But anyone who was around in '85-86 would know what I mean.

Old
06-13-2011, 11:40 AM
obsenssive*

Send a message via MSN to obsenssive*
haha awesome names

reminds me... I still have that commercial stuck in my head for "cheap booze fun" or whatever with the chicken from watching blues games on center ice

obsenssive* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 03:02 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiesIrae View Post
haha awesome names

reminds me... I still have that commercial stuck in my head for "cheap booze fun" or whatever with the chicken from watching blues games on center ice
Haha Dirt Cheap... embracing our vices in the most poverty stricken way.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote