HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Drew Stafford contract/Brandon Dubinsky wants $4.5M per

Old
06-03-2011, 09:10 PM
Radek27

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Well as you can see, I don't have many posts under my belt, but I think we can all say that Wolski deserves another season, but he is definitely not a better player than Dubinsky.

You may be right in the fact that he is a bit overhyped, but he isn't extremely overhyped at all. I never said Wolski shouldn't be back for next year, but the main argument that you are making, saying Wolski is a better all around player than Dubinsky, is just completely false.

If we sign Richards, I'd love to see Wolski-Richards-Gaborik but if Wolski decides to slack off, he's gotta go. That's just my take.
Never said that. I asked why he deserves 4 million and Wolski doesn't deserve 3.8. People say Duby is the more complete player, which I can't disagree with he is. But to me Wolski is the better offensive player and we have both right now, and thats the way I wanna keep it.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 09:12 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Buying out UFA years cost $$$
I thought the players were in comparable situations in terms of RFA years remaining (I'm on my mobile and it's difficult to check). If so, no way Dubi should get a comparable contract. If Dubi is in fact a year ahead of Stafford, however, and would therefore be giving up an extra year of UFA, then I'd have to reassess.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Never said that. I asked why he deserves 4 million and Wolski doesn't deserve 3.8. People say Duby is the more complete player, which I can't disagree with he is. But to me Wolski is the better offensive player and we have both right now, and thats the way I wanna keep it.
Buying out UFA years cost $$$ and he deserves a substantial raise on his last contract.

I don't see him getting $4 mil a year, more around 3.5

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I thought the players were in comparable situations in terms of RFA years remaining (I'm on my mobile and it's difficult to check). If so, no way Dubi should get a comparable contract. If Dubi is in fact a year ahead of Stafford, however, and would therefore be giving up an extra year of UFA, then I'd have to reassess.
My bad, I thought you were comparing Dubi to Wolski... Comparing him to Stafford, Dubi should get less, around 3.5 mil

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 09:45 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
I'm sure his camp will point to the fact that he was dealing with the stress fracture for parts of the year as a reason why he didn't get 30. Your estimates pretty accurate though, I'm gonna go with $3.75M myself.
It's a double edged sword though as they are basically saying 'our player is already suffering from an injury that can re-occur quite easily.'

Having said that, like most, I think he'll get between 3.5-4 on a 3-4 year deal.

Also, I have no problem with Wolski at his caphit for another year

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 10:13 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
I'm sure his camp will point to the fact that he was dealing with the stress fracture for parts of the year as a reason why he didn't get 30. Your estimates pretty accurate though, I'm gonna go with $3.75M myself.
stress fractures don't score goals. nor do they get you juicy $4M contracts. I highly doubt they would try to use his injury as a means to get more $$$. again, the cap number will totally depend on how many UFA years Sather is going to buy but even still, I doubt it tops $4M cap

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 10:23 PM
ecemleafs

this seems like 4.0 would be dubis max in this contract which is good. i imagine maybe a 4 year 15m deal.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 10:44 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Let's see if he holds out. He wanted 4mill last time.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 11:14 PM
XLJ

Yeah thats a good comparison. If its a 4 year deal it looks like Dubi will get somewhere around 3.75-3.9 million per year.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 11:39 PM
Just Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Let's see if he holds out. He wanted 4mill last time.
He won't hold out, because he will just file for arbitration this time.

Just Lurking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 11:46 PM
BloFan4Life

Never put the Stafford contract as a comparison for Dubinsky because Dubinsky is much more valuable than Stafford. For one he is a center, secondly he isn't a girl like Stafford, thirdly he hasn't dropped below 40 points in his NHL career and is more consistent. From an outside point of view, he should get more than Stafford.

The guy who I was thinking is very similar to Stafford would be Callahan. I wanted the Sabres to wait till Callahan got his contract because I have a feeling Callahan was going to get around 3.25 million. Now with Staff signing, his agent would would be stupid to take anything less than 3.8 million.

BloFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 11:57 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
Never put the Stafford contract as a comparison for Dubinsky because Dubinsky is much more valuable than Stafford. For one he is a center, secondly he isn't a girl like Stafford, thirdly he hasn't dropped below 40 points in his NHL career and is more consistent. From an outside point of view, he should get more than Stafford.

The guy who I was thinking is very similar to Stafford would be Callahan. I wanted the Sabres to wait till Callahan got his contract because I have a feeling Callahan was going to get around 3.25 million. Now with Staff signing, his agent would would be stupid to take anything less than 3.8 million.
1st point - Dubinsky is (almost) exclusively a LW now

2nd point - surely the US has laws which mean you can't discriminate with regards to salary based on sex?

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 01:14 AM
darko

I wouldnt hesitate giving Dubinsky 16 mill over 4 years. He's worth it. If he stays healthy next season he should break 60 point mark and push 30 goal mark. Kills penalties and is 1 of the leaders. Hope this guy is a Ranger for life.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 03:15 AM
Sticky Fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Yea people need to give Wolski a chance. He had an off yr lets see what he can do in one full yr with us. ]

Dubi will get 3.8 per 4 yrs. That's my guess. Sather we cut it down by a few hundred thousand
As long as you have a gritty game you'll get a pass around here. Imagine WW being the one taking all those ******* up penalties that Dubi took last year. That being said, Dubi brings a lot more to the table and is far more important to the team.

But WW should at least get the chance to have a full season before being shipped off, it's not like he was Drurylicious last season?

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 03:33 AM
eco's bones

When the going gets tough--like in the playoffs--and the teams start grinding even harder who was getting the ice time--Wolski? Dubinsky?--It was Dubinsky--who got more ice time than any other forward while Wolski was pretty much at the bottom.

Not going to say that Wolski sucks but he is overpaid. Dubinsky is more deserving of that kind of contract. As for getting rid of Wolski--I'm kind of on the fence. I don't really think he's the disaster in his own end that some think--at least his plus/minus was decent with us--but he didn't show up consistently with us last season. He floats a bit--and the more physical a game is the less likely he is to make an appearance. If the NHL made hitting illegal he'd probably be an all star.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 04:55 AM
Sticky Fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
When the going gets tough--like in the playoffs--and the teams start grinding even harder who was getting the ice time--Wolski? Dubinsky?--It was Dubinsky--who got more ice time than any other forward while Wolski was pretty much at the bottom.

Not going to say that Wolski sucks but he is overpaid. Dubinsky is more deserving of that kind of contract. As for getting rid of Wolski--I'm kind of on the fence. I don't really think he's the disaster in his own end that some think--at least his plus/minus was decent with us--but he didn't show up consistently with us last season. He floats a bit--and the more physical a game is the less likely he is to make an appearance. If the NHL made hitting illegal he'd probably be an all star.
Despite having less TOI in the playoff he had as many points as Dubi, team rank no 1. How is that, considering playoff games doesn't suit him?

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 04:57 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The same group of Ranger fans who thought Dan Girardi was worth $2M-$2.5M this time last season.

Dubinsky is not going to hold out. He will file for salary arbitration on July 5. We've only discussed this topic 18 million times.

Is there really a difference between $4M and $3.85M?

2 arbitration years and 2 group III years in the $4M range is a lot of money?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 05:07 AM
FultonReed
ew, you did what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The same group of Ranger fans who thought Dan Girardi was worth $2M-$2.5M this time last season.

Dubinsky is not going to hold out. He will file for salary arbitration on July 5. We've only discussed this topic 18 million times.

Is there really a difference between $4M and $3.85M?

2 arbitration years and 2 group III years in the $4M range is a lot of money?
it's a hair more than what we're paying Chris Drury ....

FultonReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 05:30 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellohf View Post
Despite having less TOI in the playoff he had as many points as Dubi, team rank no 1. How is that, considering playoff games doesn't suit him?
Ever hear of sample size? 5 games doesnt mean a whole lot.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 06:03 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

The problem people are having is not the way that Wolski has played, but what he mainly is preventing us from doing while he is on the team: signing Richards. As long as his contract is there, people will dissect his game more and more. The cheap buyout also plays into that too. With that said, I'd like to see him stay, but the depth players/young players on this roster don't allow it. Where is he going to play? a 3.8 cap LW on the 4th line or 3rd line? That poor cap management. He can't suit up on the top line, he isn't consistent enough. If getting rid of him means bringing in Richards, it must be done. Dubi, Avery, Feds, and possibly MZA/Grachev are the LWers on this roster next season. It'll be rough having a guy like Avery possibly playing on the top line, but he has the ability to at a cheaper cost than Wolski.

Torts said it best, Dubi has to become more consistent. He worked on that this season ans did much better. His only down time was when he was hurt and when he first came back from it. He'll get around 3.7 million per season.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 07:00 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
I'm very confused.

Wolski is not worth 3.5 being just one season removed from a 23G 42A 65PT season but Dubnisky is worth 4 after putting up 24G 30A 54PT.

How does that work?
I think it works that way because Wolski is the ultimate tease who wears out his welcome insanely fast.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 07:04 AM
chosen

Quote:

You just sort of said Callahan is a girl, even if it wasn't intentional.

By the way, what makes Stafford a girl?

I always get a kick out of a fan calling an NHL player something like a girl.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 09:30 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Drew Stafford deal is worth $16 M over 4 years: $4 M even per season
https://twitter.com/#!/Real_ESPNLeBr...50203159838720

Not the usual $3M plus in arbitration years and $4M plus in group III years.

Callahan got $900,000 more than Dubinsky in 2009 because he was arbitration eligible. Dubinsky is arbitration eligible this time. He will get paid.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 10:41 AM
BloFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
You just sort of said Callahan is a girl, even if it wasn't intentional.

By the way, what makes Stafford a girl?

I always get a kick out of a fan calling an NHL player something like a girl.
Don't know how you can spin words and say that but whatever you think is fine by me.

Stafford is always hurt, he never goes into the corners, he has the size to be a power forward but refuses to, he doesn't even bother to show up half the time because he is on his period, he has mood swings and overall is just a fragile player/human.

You act like NHL players are some big bad humans. A lot of these guys are far from it. Look at Jason Pominville. Just because they play hockey doesn't make them anymore of a man than a telemarketer. Football players are huge and tough as nails. Hockey players on the other hand, are not like that.

BloFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Football players are huge and tough as nails. Hockey players on the other hand, are not like that.
Thanks for the laugh. Not disagreeing about football players being tough, but hockey players are as tough as they come sure some aren't massive physical specimens but neither are all the NFL players.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote