HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hal Gill back, 1 year @ 2.25

Old
06-04-2011, 05:13 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
Yemelin didnt sign a contract to play in Hamilton. Hes not giving up 6 figures to go play for 68k in Hamilton. Hes going to start or f-off back to Russia
True, this doesn't change anything from a habs standpoint. They are not in the business of accommodating him. Either he makes it or doesn't and goes back to Russia. Honestly, I don't think Emelin is committed enough to make it here. But I hope I'm wrong.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
I don't feel really assured with this D-Corp... I really hope they re-sign ONE OF Hamrlik or Wiz to complement that.
Wiz ok, but I'm tired of the Hammer/Spacek/Gill trio of old vets who play not to lose.

I want a big young defense capable of 82 games a year + 15-20 playoffs games without slowing down dramatically at points. A defense capable of sustaining some injuries and make up for them without spending all of their energy doing it.

I'm not entirely comfortable with that D either, but by signing Gill, they made their bed. I don't think big upgrades are coming on D. Not with Spacek still around. I could be wrong though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I could see this line up as a possibility, but if I look at what Gauthier did last year, signing Picard and making us start with 8 Ds, I wouldn't be surprised if we got another D. Markov might not start the year (if we believe initial reports that took him out for one full year, setting his return for November) and Emelin could very well be as big of a flop as a success, so I'm not sure PG won't make more additions on D.
Well, Picard is kind of like Emelin/Diaz/Weber. We have plenty of cheap depth. Markov missing a month isn't a huge deal, we could just play Emelin/Diaz and Weber.

Maybe PG will get someone on D but I don't think it will be a big name if he does.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Well, Picard is kind of like Emelin/Diaz/Weber. We have plenty of cheap depth. Markov missing a month isn't a huge deal, we could just play Emelin/Diaz and Weber.

Maybe PG will get someone on D but I don't think it will be a big name if he does.
Not sure who exactly you consider a big name, but we can agree on Bieksa, Ehrhoff, Jovo, etc. But I could see him go after a more subtle one, in the 3-3.5M range.
At worst, I could see him bring back Hammer if he agrees to a cheap deal.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 07:49 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
JMGB or whatever is his name had the right of it.

Emelin and Weber will be the 6th and 7th guy on D.

Diaz will start in the AHL (he said he didn't mind climbing the ranks).

D will be

Markov-Gorges
Subban-Gill
Spacek + Weber/Emelin*

*outside chance of Emelin being bumped out by Diaz depending on how camp goes.
Stop kidding yourself. There is a glarring hole for 3rd D, like Goldthorpe said yesterday, every year it's the same, Habs sign a lot of Ds to add depth and that lineup is ridiculously short from being in injury trouble. Gill is overused as 4th D, that's not where he belongs, same for Gorges. Both these guys have been used as replacements. People are seeing the causality in reverse, they think Gill and Gorges can do as good or better than Hamrlik, because they were playing his role at some point, but the problem is, it was Hamrlik being used at Markov's spot on the left side, so then Hamrlik looked out of place because he got overused at some point, but it's still him who is far more complete than both Gill and Gorges, that we'll need to replace or take back until we can replace him. There's a 20+ minute D missing. There's quite enough space to bring back Hamrlik, or replace him by someone else.

Every year it's the same. Young players come in, and some people raise high expectations. Sure Emelin could turn out really good, but the Habs won't rely on that to start the season. It would be foolish. Habs are simply giving him a chance to prove himself, doesn't mean we can't add some depth. Habs are known to carry up to 8 Ds at some point, or even 7 Ds and one other D who can play forward. With what happened last season, it would be just foolish to not learn the lesson of not having enough depth on D and having to spend yet more picks and players to get Ds because of injuries. Everything actually points to the possibility of the opposite of what you are saying, yet your tone is almost as if you were the one deciding how it's gonna happen, using absolutisms. I won't deny that there's a possiblity they'll start with that lineup, but 1-, I would lose all respect for Gauthier, and 2- the possibility of that happening is small when you look at the moves the habs did in the last season, and the years before last season. Stop taking your own wishes for reality. You might think that of me too, but the difference is that for me it's not based on personal preference, but rather on quite a few sound logics, observed numerous times here and elsewhere in the league. I don't care if Gauthier doesn't sign an added 3rd D, I just think it would be extremely foolish to not do so, and PG isn't that.

Last edited by Ozymandias: 06-05-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 08:00 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
Yemelin didnt sign a contract to play in Hamilton. Hes not giving up 6 figures to go play for 68k in Hamilton. Hes going to start or f-off back to Russia
That doesn't mean he'll start on the top 6 either. Habs quite probably told him that he'll have to be patient and that the frequency of injury in the NHL will take care of the rest, which will also help ease his adaptation period. He's not gonna come here like some primadona who wants to play every night right off the bat. And we'll still need to add another D, especially since we have the opportunity of temporarily switching Weber on forward to also use him in case of injuries. I don't think the Habs would ever had sign Emelin if they thought he'd buckle at the fact he'll have to take it slow and act as 7th D to start off.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 04:11 PM
McSorleyStick
GIJON !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Not happy at all. With Spacek not going anywhere this means Wiz is gone and any thought of an upgrade on defense is down the drains. ****.

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 04:14 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
That doesn't mean he'll start on the top 6 either. Habs quite probably told him that he'll have to be patient and that the frequency of injury in the NHL will take care of the rest, which will also help ease his adaptation period. He's not gonna come here like some primadona who wants to play every night right off the bat. And we'll still need to add another D, especially since we have the opportunity of temporarily switching Weber on forward to also use him in case of injuries. I don't think the Habs would ever had sign Emelin if they thought he'd buckle at the fact he'll have to take it slow and act as 7th D to start off.
I can see him start the season as #7

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote