HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Now that we have Erixon, 2 more D deals...

Old
06-04-2011, 12:52 PM
chosen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
Pretty sure the Rangers iced a line of Lacouture-Ulmer-McCarthy at the end of the 03/04 season
But look at the rest of the roster that year. Even with that line you splooged on us, that top 12 was infinitely better than the top 12 in this thread.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 01:00 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

to those proposals....especially the first one. we have trouble scoring at the nhl level and we are weak in the farm with true scorers and we might actually have a legitimate goal scorer in thomas and were dealing him? Plus giving up on MDZ who still could be better than Hedman by the end of their careers. Patience is a virtue.

where is the vomit icon when you need it

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 01:05 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
to those proposals....especially the first one. we have trouble scoring at the nhl level and we are weak in the farm with true scorers and we might actually have a legitimate goal scorer in thomas and were dealing him? Plus giving up on MDZ who still could be better than Hedman by the end of their careers. Patience is a virtue.

where is the vomit icon when you need it
While the proposal sucked, and MDZ could end up better than Hedman (anything can happen), at this point Hedman looks like he will probably end up a perennial all star and MDZ is a fringe NHL player. Nothing to do with patience. Everything to do with the evidence we have so far.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 01:09 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Terrible.

I knew it was going to be bad when I came in expecting you to have proposals for forwards since you stated in the title we just got a good dman prospect, then learn you wanted to trade for 2 more future elite dmen.

It went downhill fast.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 02:14 PM
boyle2boyle
HFBoards Sponsor

Clearly we've bashed this proposal enough. Let's at least get the thread on a different track. The main problem with this proposal is that it suggested that we need more defense, when our problem is quite the contrary. What two moves for forwards would you make given the defensive depth that we currently have?

boyle2boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 09:50 AM
bernmeister

Thanks to everyone who posted so far.

Further posts are invited, pro or con.

Have/had some real world demands but will extend courtesy and respond to each post or each member multiple posts at least once, doing so over the next day or so, roughly.

My thanks to all

bernmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 10:10 AM
bernmeister

I got the overall critique which will be answered in the reply posts I indicated forthcoming in last post.

As and for a quick insight on the thinking behind this thread:

Yes, we need scoring. If we could directly trade a guy like MDZ, even MDZ + not named Staal, Dubi, AA, Cally, and get a Stastny, that would be an option to strongly consider without much thought. But we can't get that. Highest quality Fs are not to be had.

So the idea is build further on our D, not only as to the defensive component, but as to the offensive component as well. Most of you disagreed about the price paid, etc,, fair enough, that is open to discussion; but no one would disagree that with Doughty and Hedman the power play and shootout are far deadlier. That alone is a huge consideration most overlooked.

Further, to win in the NHL now generally seems to require the equivalent of 1 at minimum, if not 1+ uber elite in value.

For example (pre injury) Crosby + Malkin.
This year I consider the Sedins alone = 2 elite = 1+ uber elite.

You get the picture.

Stall is 1/d uber elite best shut down D, otherwise basic on O.
Doughty is uber elite as to D, more so on O than D.
Hedman has more potential upside to become that elite D.
Nobody here is going to make anybody forget Bobby Orr, the best ever IMO, but the extra O on D is not a waste, and adds to that total increased talent level we need.

As to the O I anticipate a 2/3s chance we get Richards. The main issue is the $$$ because we need to not go excessive crazy $$ for excessive crazy years, and he will get more elsewhere.

But moving Gaborik's 7ish mil for all other needs (+ possible Richards) w/return of Doughty is not a negative.

And yeah, there's thinness on the third and fourth line, but that thinness may be replaceable with situational veterans (like Prospol was). Also, you develop a guy like Wilson or Grant, you add another from your abundant trove of D prospects (Maggio, Klassen) and you can upgrade to a better F.

Think outside the box, guys.
Think of it as a work in progress, which it always is, with these being improvement moves now in one area, weaken us in another, but set us up for further improvement.

More later.
Peace and all the best.

Old
06-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
If opportunity drops a prize F in our lap, great.
However, I think there might be more opportunity in attempting to land Victor Hedman (at cost of not much more than MDZ) and Doughty, which would be a massive overpayment, but one I think is long term beneficial. If Doughty is RFA --- as I recall --- would want to negotiate a contract with him first.

We get younger, improve our power play to extent it is a difference maker.
TB and LA get enough in assets to make it worth their while. I assume LA will translate extra cap into other non cap assets (i.e., Kudratek = 2nd round pick, etc., or they keep him and dump deadwood instead).

Here's my thought:

Now that we have Erixon,
1) MDZ, Christian Thomas + MZA
to TB for Victor Hedman

Then, part of the Wolski to LA picture is:
2) Fs Gaborik, Stepan, and Wolski;
Ds Ilkka Heikkinen and Kundratek;
and one netminder not named Lundqvist plus the #15 overall pick
to LA for Doughty

Explanation:
Deal 1. Saves TB $$; possible replacement for St. Louis; , MD who once played with Stamkos, not bad substitute for Hedman. Rangers probably best return for MDZ, upgrade.

Deal 2:
Stepan is a solid block
Gaborik a bonafide sniper, gamble is he returns to form after healed shoulder separation and mild concussion, and still got like 20+ goals in like half a season
Girardi is best shot blocking D in league and a solid defensive G
Wolski of interest to LA in another thread; if a bust buyout for cap space is reasonable
Heikkinen is Finnish import, rushing D might be stopgap option, competes w/short term contract
Kundratek a bonafide 2nd prospect value
another G to develop or trade canít hurt.
+ a mid first rounder
Again, Rangers upgrade.

Results:
LW C RW
Dubinsky Anisimov Callahan
Grachev Boyle Prust
Hagelin Lindberg Tommy Grant
Fedotenko Drury Wiese
reserves: maybe Gilroy, Jason Wilson, Fasth
possibly dump Christensen, Avery, Prospal (would keep but his knees are going)

D
Staal Doughty
Sauer McDonaugh
Erixon Hedman
reserves: Emminger, V. Tank, Pashnin, Parlett

G:s Lundqvist, Biron

Thoughts...
Please don't hesitate to qualify your opinions with why you think value is good/bad, we are paying too much/little, etc.
Thanks in advance...
I think I just puked at this line-up...

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 12:21 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Going after other teams young prized defenders is a pipe dream. Going after a guy like Bogo is a maybe because ownership and finances was up in the air and that's the only reason why you could even try. Now that is settling down, Bogo is going to be harder to get as that franchise makes decisions on their future. No way teams move their prized futures, just not going to happen unless you absolutely gut your own team to do it, which you effectively try to do.

Horrible deals for NY...horrible.

Let the young defenders pan out and move out the expendables like Girardi and Grachev for parts that we need, like FORWARDS.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 09:47 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Thoughts:

-If TB and LA both love their respective players (Doughty, Hedman), why would they be willing to deal quality for quantity? That's like us flipping Staal for 2-3 players whose cumulative value is comparable to Staal's. If we're pleased & happy with Marc Staal, why would we willingly trade him for quantity?
TB is good + with Hedman. But be honest, it's not that good like it's a young Elvis and this is Ann Margret in her prime and you're getting it on and the groove is mind-bogglingly good. Hedman, like MDZ, has shown enough that they're not being rushed out the door, but either one can be had for the right trade-in --- not for the sake of making a move, but for the sake of a profitable deal yielding enough improvement to upgrade your club.

Don't see a combo like MDZ + X getting a Stastny.
So why not upgrade if the circumstances allow at a reasonable price?

There is currently an awkwardness as to MDZ + the Rangers roster. It's not an insurmountable climb, but moving him makes sense.

Who would give us the best return for MDZ?
Hard to say. But the last taste MDZ left in TB's mouth was good, as it was a nice clicking with Stamkos, and Stamkos is the key.

Other things being equal, there is less impetus to push Hedman in trade. But raising $$ to extend Stamkos to max $ long term is a prudent goal. So TB has a reason, no fault of Hedman, to move him.

So yeah, they love Hedman, but not enough at this point to not cut him loose under the right circumstances.

With MDZ as a replacement Thomas is good compensation, as the Lightning are already with St. Louis in the game plan. Thomas fits that prototype. Whether or not he can deliver at an NHL level, and continue to deliver astonishingly as St. Louis has done into his late 30s, is unknown and a gamble I'm willing to take. It gets me Hedman, and I don't have to part with other assets I need/would rather keep than do this deal. Thomas makes the deal do-able.

Thomas is no guarantee but his 50 goals and great effort have upped his stock to the max. I think its worth swapping that stock for Hedman, who has more natural talent, and more upside.

MZA is great on shoot outs, but he does not have the speed to create the separation he needs to dominate. He's an inexpensive nominal plus now and a bridge if they elect not to have St. Louis tutor him one on one, but want to give him another half a season of seasoning.

So Hedman is not really like Staal, who is fully elite as to the shutdown portion of his game, and good otherwise. Respect any opinion on wanting to keep Thomas, but I trust you understand this solid rationale for the move.

St Louis is an exception. For every guy like him, dozens can't dominate at the NHL level. One walk on, sure. But my investment would be in Anisimov style guys. Thomas has earned a shot somewhere sometime soon, and I wish him all the best, even if that's not with NYR. But Hedman has got real upside.

Will discuss Doughty soon...

Old
06-06-2011, 10:01 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Thoughts:
-Unrealistic that the Rangers would trade for 2 premier young defenseman and then skate one of them on the 3rd pairing with limited minutes.
This is a great insight.
My response is
Torts really works the guys, and the one thing he has to be really careful about is not pulling a Billy Martin, where one year you get phenomenal pitching, and the following season sore arms and bad rotator cuffs.

So while he can't really (and shouldn't necessarily) depart from an active game, with lots of pinching and chasing, he can do two things: one, keep the team younger (accomplished by moving Rozsival, for example) and two, keep the shifts short all year round. So while they may not get exactly even minutes and there would be adjustments for Doughty/Hedman on the power play -- possibly further adjusted by likely acquisition of Richards --- I don't see a scenario where these six are getting dramatically different ice time.
(It's not like Gilroy playing necessary minutes, but his total is nowhere near the first or second pair.)

The exception to this would be, injury aside, you dressed a 7th D or gave somebody the night off with the idea to showcase a Klassen, a Maggio, etc., with hopes of bundling them for an asset upgrade.

So yeah, you're point is good, but the above explains why Hedman would not be underutilized. He's more D ready than MDZ now, IMO, so I would expect any issue about D corps stability or consistency would be more easily and seamlessly handled with Hedman from square 1 than putting MDZ under a microscope, and seeing how many games he goes before he loses focus by Torts standards and is back in the doghouse. This deal resolves all that.

Old
06-06-2011, 10:22 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
I got the overall critique which will be answered in the reply posts I indicated forthcoming in last post.

As and for a quick insight on the thinking behind this thread:

Yes, we need scoring. If we could directly trade a guy like MDZ, even MDZ + not named Staal, Dubi, AA, Cally, and get a Stastny, that would be an option to strongly consider without much thought. But we can't get that. Highest quality Fs are not to be had.

So the idea is build further on our D, not only as to the defensive component, but as to the offensive component as well. Most of you disagreed about the price paid, etc,, fair enough, that is open to discussion; but no one would disagree that with Doughty and Hedman the power play and shootout are far deadlier. That alone is a huge consideration most overlooked.

Further, to win in the NHL now generally seems to require the equivalent of 1 at minimum, if not 1+ uber elite in value.

For example (pre injury) Crosby + Malkin.
This year I consider the Sedins alone = 2 elite = 1+ uber elite.

You get the picture.

Stall is 1/d uber elite best shut down D, otherwise basic on O.
Doughty is uber elite as to D, more so on O than D.
Hedman has more potential upside to become that elite D.
Nobody here is going to make anybody forget Bobby Orr, the best ever IMO, but the extra O on D is not a waste, and adds to that total increased talent level we need.

As to the O I anticipate a 2/3s chance we get Richards. The main issue is the $$$ because we need to not go excessive crazy $$ for excessive crazy years, and he will get more elsewhere.

But moving Gaborik's 7ish mil for all other needs (+ possible Richards) w/return of Doughty is not a negative.

And yeah, there's thinness on the third and fourth line, but that thinness may be replaceable with situational veterans (like Prospol was). Also, you develop a guy like Wilson or Grant, you add another from your abundant trove of D prospects (Maggio, Klassen) and you can upgrade to a better F.

Think outside the box, guys.
Think of it as a work in progress, which it always is, with these being improvement moves now in one area, weaken us in another, but set us up for further improvement.

More later.
Peace and all the best.
1) again you're trading random, lesser pieces for team's untouchable franchise dmen. Sather would be laughed off of the phone

2) you only see some 3rd line weakness? The lineup you posted has the pack line as the 1st line (which we saw this year they should not be, far better suited as a second line), you have 2/3rd's of last year's 4th line on the 2nd line now, along with a player that has not yet shown he is even ready to be in the NHL. Then throw 3 rookies on the 3rd line that again, may not even be ready to be in the league let alone on the 3rd line. Again, this may be the worst proposal for a forward lineup I've ever seen on this board.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 11:54 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Thoughts:

-If TB and LA both love their respective players (Doughty, Hedman), why would they be willing to deal quality for quantity? ...
Already addressed Hedman.
Doughty is less likely to be had, because there is less likely situational opportunity that you see with TB/Hedman looking for cap for Stamkos.

There have been posts with speculation that if we cut ties with Gaborik, for whatever reason, that the Kings might be a possibility, to give some more support to Kopitar and his line. I agree this is not an etched in stone given, but let's consider it reasonable that LA might be interested in Gaborik at the right price --- a substantial profit, if not massive overpayment.

NYR can swing the overpayment, but not whatever the Kings want.
No Dubi + Cally

It needs to be something Rangers can handle which doesn't cut their best core assets, which at the same time the Kings might find attractive.

Ergo, Girardi (better shot blocker) is entirely as good defensively as Doughty (better body checker) on balance. Gaborik is full as to replacing Doughty offensively.

However, again, you need to overpay because of age issues and perceived taint of fragility with Gaborik (not too worried, the concussion was light and temporary, thank God, and the shoulder separation almost an afterthought by season's end). You need to give value, because of the high concentration of talent in one player Doughty at a younger age being somewhat more intrinsically valuable.

Thus Stepan had to be sacrificed.
He may well develop further.
But Doughty will also, and he's already able to contribute a great outside shot which will dramatically improve the offense but on and off the power play. The complaints about ruining the offense are dramatically overlooking this.

And of course you have the other assets also.

So yeah, it's not ideal for LA, but it's a lot of material they can repurpose.
Plus Dean Lombardi (if I remember) would be making a statement to the Kings saying, hey, if I can and will trade Doughty, I can and will think about trading anybody.

Thus again, LA not hot and heavy for this, but there's probably too much on the table for them to say no.

Old
06-06-2011, 12:03 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
these are excellent proposals. if you want to rebuild via tanking.
Thanks, but please re-consider this outside the proverbial box.
The offense will come around eventually, more slowly, it cannot be forced.
But the D is arguably there for the taking at a massive cost, but one that is selectively not assets we cannot give up.

We will get another Fedotenko from somewhere.
We are not a lock but favorite to get Richards.
These will all make a difference and again, with all the pinching and power plays, the additions of Doughty and Hedman would be devastating and a big improvement. Granted, I too would rather keep Stepan and turn the rest of it into Stamkos or pre-injury Malkin, but that's not realistic.

These have a reasonable premise in theory.
I see how someone might want to go the other way.... but these have a basis in why they, or some close variation, could get done.

Old
06-06-2011, 12:07 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Thanks, but please re-consider this outside the proverbial box.
The offense will come around eventually, more slowly, it cannot be forced.
But the D is arguably there for the taking at a massive cost, but one that is selectively not assets we cannot give up.

We will get another Fedotenko from somewhere.
We are not a lock but favorite to get Richards.
These will all make a difference and again, with all the pinching and power plays, the additions of Doughty and Hedman would be devastating and a big improvement. Granted, I too would rather keep Stepan and turn the rest of it into Stamkos or pre-injury Malkin, but that's not realistic.

These have a reasonable premise in theory.
I see how someone might want to go the other way.... but these have a basis in why they, or some close variation, could get done.
Just saying something is "outside the box" doesn't make something valid. These are not reasonable premises, in theory or practice.

Your addressing of Hedman doesn't make sense, they have the space now to extend stamkos, no problem.

Saying "the offense will come around eventually" is a nothing statement, b/c it won't. Not with Brandon Prust and Grachev penciled in for 2nd line duty, and a 3rd line full of players who may not be even be ready for the NHL next year.

Last edited by allstar3970: 06-06-2011 at 12:12 PM.
allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Poozer

Yeah this is pretty much the most ludicrous trade thread ever.

Also where do we expect to find future offense from when you start trading one of our top offensive prospects? Honestly we only have 2 guys in the system who really have first line potential.

Last edited by Poozer: 06-06-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Poozer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 12:21 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
You should include Dowzak and Baranka too.
Nah, Dowzak and Baranka are keepers!

Old
06-06-2011, 12:23 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCollarBlueBlood View Post
Is that you Neil Smith?
No.
Don't think I even vaguely resemble that remark, although maybe so, because with Neil Smith as with most us, there is the good, the bad and the ugly as to a body of work...

Old
06-06-2011, 12:47 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I hate it, it's a total overload. It leaves us with crap at foward and a defense that's far better than it needs to be.
Disagree as to D being far better than needed, because offense is an important part of D, especially for a Torts style team that likes to pinch, and there our D sucks. This is most painfully obvious with our power play.
Hedman and especially Doughty would be huge upgrade there, and sorry necessary.

As to crap at F, there is short term depletion. I admit it. But, give me this:

Our prime line would and should remain, uninterrupted, Dubi -- AA -- Cally.
They can give you upwards of 20 minutes or a solid period all by themselves, at least until the cavalry arrives.

The third and 4th lines are thin, but if you really want to you can resign Avery Christensen and Prospal. I'd like to give some of our young blood a shot and don't think they'll do worse. We might have to be patient for half a season on Avery/Drury cap dump deal at deadline, which may/may not be do-able [Drury NMC, Avery other issues]. But basically my answer for the 4th line is no worse than how we finished. That leaves a third line.

Notice I didn't count the Richards egg before its hatched.
But Richards on a line with Grachev and Boyle is scary.

And I think it's not unreasonable to expect Sather to pull another smaller Fedotenko like move out of his hat. A Naslund repeat would be better bordering great, but even another Fedotenko is enough of a plus to make the difference.

And these guys like Hagelin need opportunity to crack the lineup.
This deal helps in that regard.

Thanks for the feedback.

Old
06-06-2011, 01:10 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Other things to consider:

-Drury is all but certain to be bought out in a couple weeks
-Rangers have a very strong chance at landing Richards to center our top line
-You are sending nearly $12 mil in cap hits to L.A. for next season
-MDZ's trade value is very low considering his play digressed and he had to be demoted last season. Hedman was the #2 overall pick and expected to be a franchise defensemen for TB... Christian Thomas + MDZ is not going to pry him from TB.
1. Drury
We agree Drury is not worth the $$$$, but if we can't unload, maybe not til middle of the season, we should see what Drury offers at start of camp.
Drury appeared ready to rock n roll, then got injured (finger, hand if I remember) and kept getting re-injured. Yeah, actively look with both eyes open if we can dump the big salary, but that not appearing to be the case, let's see what Drury shows is left in his tank. If he's got nothing left, a la Redden, then yeah, he gets bought out or whatever. But if he's over being snake bit and can deliver 1 good season --- and I think he would give the 110+% effort --- I say let's see before we cut.

2. Richards,
Yes, I give it 2/3s likely. Key will be if he wants more $$$ or opportunity or a combo, and how many years. If he goes for small package (2 years) Rangers can offer more $$ because risk of something --- anything --- going wrong is reduced. {More accurately, the duration of us paying for something fouling up is reduced.}
Richards likely --- though not certain at this point --- addition is complementary, not a problem, with the scenario I described.

3. $12 mi cap to LA
As indicated, excess cap, be it Kings moving their own deadwood or bundling these new assets, I expect they will convert whatever they move into upgrades over adequate time.
Part of the reason for this much overpayment is that Kings must take the extra cap and do the work to shed same. NYR benefit from the newfound cap flexibility.

4. MDZ + value not enough to trade for Hedman
Disagree. Yeah, MDZ is down, but its not physical, it's a chemistry thing with Torts. Main impetus would be moving of #2 overall salary for a #20 (ish) overall salary which is not unreasonable assumption given Stamkos.
Thomas is enough boom bust risk to be worth the chance, given MDZ should eventually get you most of Hedman, plus TB presently has all that offense to work with, so they can get by with MDZ just providing an all around game.

Best,....

Old
06-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Yellot00tr

Saying that the trade helps give guys like Hagelin an opportunity to crack the lineup is nice, but at what price? That's like saying that Pitt should dump Crosby and Malkin so that younger guys can have a shot at coming up and they'll just rely on defense. Giving the young guys a chance to crack the lineup is always great, but not because you've dumped all your top guys. Should the yankees give up on Teixiera, A-rod, and Cano because it'll give some of the younger guys a chance to play? Outside the box thinking is great when it works, but saying that instead of putting gas into your car, you'll dump tap water in there because it's all liquid would be outside the box as well. It wouldn't be too smart, but yeah, it's definitely outside the box thinking.

I love Dubi, Cally, and AA, but in all honesty, they're better suited for being our 2nd line rather than the 1st line. It's not just a short term depletion if you're not taking into account how to fix it. Saying that it's a short term depletion implies that there's something in the wings waiting - like knowing that you have a Stamkos coming. actually, with the lineup that u put out there, it actually probably will be short term because we'll probably be picking in the top 5 for the next 2 years at least. Maybe we will end up with a Stamkos. Regardless, we'll definitely be in the bottom 3 in terms of goals socred for the next year or 2 at least.

If Larry Brooks is right, and Richards is really looking for 7 years @ $7m per, and the rangers won't make that kind of crazy commitment to a 31 yr old center, then what? you're saying that you're not counting on Richards in one line, but then you mention that Richards with Boyle and Grachev would be scary. What happens when we don't sign Richards?

Yellot00tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 01:32 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I'm going to attempt to salvage the conversation here by saying just because we acquired Erixon doesn't mean we need to go out and trade one of out defensive prospects. We saw what happened to MDZ last season in his sophomore year, it could easily happen to Sauer and/or McDonagh. The more competition, the better. At the end of the day, I figure our roster has Staal, Girardi, and then most likely Sauer and McDonagh. After that, let's assume that either Gilroy is back or we bring in a veteran like Paul Kubina to round out our defense (not necessarily saying it'll be Kubina or that they'll be on the 3rd pair.) There's one or two spots open for these players:
Tim Erixon, Michael Del Zotto, Pavel Valentenko

Kundtratek and Pashnin could make a case, I even think Partlett could make a case, but those three are the ones that will get the hardest looks and won't have to have an AMAZING camp to make it. So let's say only one of them makes the squad. We'll say it's MDZ just so we don't have to list everyone's name again.
That leaves hartford with:
Erixon, Valentenko, Partlett, Pashnin, Kundtratek, Niemi, Redden, Bickel, Nightingale, and maybe McIlrath depending on what the franchise wants to do. That's 10 defenseman.

Redden to another league or another AHL team is 9.
Bickel back to the ECHL, 8.
McIlrath back to juniors, 7 (I really doubt he's the first call-up, or anywhere near it, so let's just send him to the WHL for another year...he needs it).
Niemi is your 7th d-man, or end that experiment. You're down to 6 quality defenseman, and your system is still pretty good at other positions.

You have the flexibility to move one of these guys, but there's no rush to do it, and the Erixon trade does not automatically mean there's another deal involving one of our defenseman coming anytime soon.

Insightful.
Now with all the above, Gilroy will not return as a D. He could be an upgrade with the right 2 way 1 year contract as replacement for Christiansen, in that Gilroy's speed could be useful on a 4th line.

The idea of condensing assets and trading up is sound means as for technique to acquire more talent to compete at the next level.

But our talent is not equally distributed, we are superior at G and D, not so much at Fs.

We can ignore this reality, or play to our strength, trade up our Ds, maximize our D, and then even think about getting some help at F.

If for example Pashnin can cut the mustard right away, maybe we trade a grinder like Weise and Sauer for a guy like Ryan Clowe and a high pick. Not saying it's got to be Clowe, just saying we should use it, not lose it, and it's more difficult to maximize our F position, so let's be creative at D and G.

Old
06-06-2011, 01:43 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
The goaltending and overall defense from the better teams in the EC make going "all defense" a pretty poor strategy, not even considering these deals.
Not exactly sure what you meant.
If the Flyers stay pat, and this improves us, we gain. ditto the Caps, Pens, etc.

Is this improvement?
It's not like we're adding two Girardis, more great D exclusively to already great D.

We're adding two guys closer to Staal in proven ability or natural talent, who can also really shoot.

Please don't overlook this part of the strategy:
Our Ds pinch ALL the time.
Our power play sucks.

These moves could be worst to first in those areas, and I think we can add to the second third and fourth line depending upon what happens/not happens w/Richards.

Old
06-06-2011, 01:45 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Well, that's 2:00 I will never get back

Old
06-06-2011, 01:46 PM
bernmeister

Quote:

It's absolutely dead at my office so I figured I would spend the time to analyze the details of these blockbusters.
Rock on