HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Being Dead Last lets the fans grow too

Old
06-04-2011, 04:22 PM
Wheatking

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam89Gags View Post
Was born in 1989. Since then:

1 Stanley Cup (1990) - too young to remember
2 Stanley Cup Finals (2006 - 11th grade, good times,too bad we lost).
0 division title banners
0 playoff series where the oilers had home ice advantage
6th is the best placing the oilers had (2001 against Dallas - lost out)

2 30th place finishes

I am a long suffering Oilers fan and I will stay loyal til the day I die. I'm the truest of the true oilers fans!
I'd say it's much easier to be an Oiler fan under the age of 25. You can't miss what you never had(or can't remember). It's the fans that are 40+ years old that had the standard set so high and then had to watch that team sold off piece by piece that are the truest...if you want to make it a hierarchy.

I attended my first game in the 1995-96 season at 7 years old. I was just happy to be at a game. Little did I know my dad had been suffering as an Oilers fan for about 5 years already. I don't think an exciting 2 months in 2006 that ended in a loss makes up for 20 years of no success...especially after knowing what it's like to be the best.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 05:04 PM
sundog

We have been about as bad as anyone in the regular season over the past 20 years, and we have five playoff series wins (one every four years). It could be worse, but noy by much.[/QUOTE]

And in that time the Flames have only three series wins. And 19 years with exactly 0 playoff wins.
I'll take our last 20 years over theirs. At least we've got to enjoy the occasional upset.

I don't mean this to sound rude or snotty, but I think some of the people here are over-estimating our 'pain' over the past 20 years. We hadsome horrific times on and off the ice, but have at least had one miracle run and a few great upsets along the way. Teams like the Jets (for instance) haven't won a series and saw their team leave. That's misery. The Leafs haven't made the finals since Jesus was a baby. Fans of the Nordiques and Thrashers saw their teams leave. What have fans of the Blues, Kings, Sabres, Islanders, Flames, Panthers, Senators etc had that was so great? Some of them made the finals once (so have the Oilers), and some have had a pretty good regular season or so, but to me, without playoff success that's pretty meaningless.

Yeah, its hard to be an Oilers fan right now. And yeah, its been hard for the most part over the past 20 years or so. And for those of us who have stuck by this team through thick and thin, I salute you. But we have no corner on the market when it comes to misery. Not even close.

sundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
In a word, wrong.

One team in the league has been worse than us over the last 20 seasons.
Well not every team has had a finals run. And we've had some good players too.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 07:17 PM
Fishy Scales

I'm a little perplexed by the sense of entitlement a lot of Oilers fans show. I mean, sure, those seasons immediately following the last conference final in '92 were pretty atrocious, but most of those years from around 1996 to the lockout the Oilers had some very likeable teams.

They were teams that didn't have the financial means to compete with the big guns in the league, yet through hard work and sheer determination they qualified for the playoffs an impressive number of times. They even knocked out the mighty Stars and Avs a couple of times.

And still, what we see regularly on these boards is a bunch of whiners complaining about perpetual mediocrity as if they, as Oilers fans, have some god-given right to enjoy a contending team. And it's not exclusive to people who were around in the 80s, it seems to come from all age groups.

I remember how hopeless the 90s and early 00s could feel, but I sure look back on those years and remember how much fun following that team was. Just like I think watching this new crop of players develop is fun and exciting too. Sometimes I just think a tiny bit of appreciation every now and then would make for a nice change.

Fishy Scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Being dead last has brought me to a healthier mental state I think.

I used to stress out big time when we were decent enough to be in the playoff races. Now I am just kind of numb to everything. Still follow the team, but they don't dominate my life anymore. If I don't feel like watching a game, I won't.

When we get good again, I hope that doesn't change. It's just a game people. Enjoy your lives.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Moneypuck

Like it or not the Oilers are in the winning/entertainment business. Nobody has done a poorer job at providing entertaining NHL hockey in a market in the last 20 yrs than the Edmonton Oilers hockey club.

The Oilers are the laughing stock/doormat of the NHL, failure shouldn't be rewarded. This is nothing more than a business. A fool and his money, soon do part., i'll stick to buying just playoff tickets thanks.

Moneypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 09:58 PM
sundog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver ballet View Post
Like it or not the Oilers are in the winning/entertainment business. Nobody has done a poorer job at providing entertaining NHL hockey in a market in the last 20 yrs than the Edmonton Oilers hockey club.

The Oilers are the laughing stock/doormat of the NHL, failure shouldn't be rewarded. This is nothing more than a business. A fool and his money, soon do part., i'll stick to buying just playoff tickets thanks.
That's your choice, I guess.

But answer me this, if you would: when you say nobody has done a poorer job at providing entertaining NHL hockey in a market in the last 20 years, are you including the Minnesota Wild? The St. Louis Blues? The Atlanta Thrashers? The Calgary Flames? The Ottawa Senators?
Because over the past 20 years, I'd say the Oilers have provided more entertainment than any of those teams. And that's just plucking names off the top of my head...

As I said earlier, Oilers fans have had it tough recently. So have fans of alot of teams. We don't own the patent on being long-suffering fans.

sundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver ballet View Post
Exagerate much?? Trolling isn't allowed so perhaps you should go cheer for whatever 'bandwagon' team you'd prefer..

The Oilers have been as entertaining as any team over the last 20 years.....and will soon be again..How do you explain the season ticket sails/sellouts over the years? The waiting list? Have you actually watched any hockey for the last 20?

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 01:36 AM
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post
Exagerate much?? Trolling isn't allowed so perhaps you should go cheer for whatever 'bandwagon' team you'd prefer..

The Oilers have been as entertaining as any team over the last 20 years.....and will soon be again..How do you explain the season ticket sails/sellouts over the years? The waiting list? Have you actually watched any hockey for the last 20?

Really?

I've got Centre Ice, and I haven't been able to watch live Oiler games through the end of November the last couple of years. I was at the season opener, should have quit right there.

Nicole stayed with OJ...that didn't end well. Enjoy another 5 years of Tamblowe and a jock sniffing blackmailing owner.

edit: May have a point with Atlanta.

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 09:51 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Really?

I've got Centre Ice, and I haven't been able to watch live Oiler games through the end of November the last couple of years. I was at the season opener, should have quit right there.

Nicole stayed with OJ...that didn't end well. Enjoy another 5 years of Tamblowe and a jock sniffing blackmailing owner.

edit: May have a point with Atlanta.
Well this is just a wild guess but he's probably been an oiler fan longer than a couple of years.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 10:05 AM
Pennertration

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog View Post
That's your choice, I guess.

But answer me this, if you would: when you say nobody has done a poorer job at providing entertaining NHL hockey in a market in the last 20 years, are you including the Minnesota Wild? The St. Louis Blues? The Atlanta Thrashers? The Calgary Flames? The Ottawa Senators?
Because over the past 20 years, I'd say the Oilers have provided more entertainment than any of those teams. And that's just plucking names off the top of my head...

As I said earlier, Oilers fans have had it tough recently. So have fans of alot of teams. We don't own the patent on being long-suffering fans.
Anyone who thinks it would've been better to be a Panthers fan or a Blue Jackets fan over the last 20 years is incapable of actually remembering the last 20 years.

Pennertration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Little Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Scales View Post
I'm a little perplexed by the sense of entitlement a lot of Oilers fans show. I mean, sure, those seasons immediately following the last conference final in '92 were pretty atrocious, but most of those years from around 1996 to the lockout the Oilers had some very likeable teams.

They were teams that didn't have the financial means to compete with the big guns in the league, yet through hard work and sheer determination they qualified for the playoffs an impressive number of times. They even knocked out the mighty Stars and Avs a couple of times.

And still, what we see regularly on these boards is a bunch of whiners complaining about perpetual mediocrity as if they, as Oilers fans, have some god-given right to enjoy a contending team. And it's not exclusive to people who were around in the 80s, it seems to come from all age groups.

I remember how hopeless the 90s and early 00s could feel, but I sure look back on those years and remember how much fun following that team was. Just like I think watching this new crop of players develop is fun and exciting too. Sometimes I just think a tiny bit of appreciation every now and then would make for a nice change.
I don't disagree, but...isn't that the case with any sports fan? Why cheer for a team if you don't expect success? I've cheered for plucky underdogs for the majority of my lifespan as an Oilers fan: it gets old. I think the flip side-that is, taking solace in the small moral victories-is kind of defeatist.

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 11:40 AM
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
Well this is just a wild guess but he's probably been an oiler fan longer than a couple of years.
He said the Oilers have been as entertaining as "any team" over the last 20 years.

Unless he was comparing them to the Washington Generals, that's an assertion that is demonstrably false.

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 12:35 PM
Fishy Scales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
He said the Oilers have been as entertaining as "any team" over the last 20 years.

Unless he was comparing them to the Washington Generals, that's an assertion that is demonstrably false.
While the whole "any team" thing is a stretch, you're arguing something that is inherently subjective.

And, on that note, do you feel that you have the *right* to be entertained?

Old
06-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
While the whole "any team" thing is a stretch, you're arguing something that is inherently subjective.

And, on that note, do you feel that you have the *right* to be entertained?
What other than that is the purpose of professional sporting entertainment?

Listen to yourself.

As an analogy I went to the U2 concert the other night and was hoping to be entertained. (Imagine that) Hoping for instance to here a band that knew their catalog, how to play their own songs, and what people wanted to see and hear. They are in the business of providing that.

Does the local faithful tune in wanting to see 2 consecutive decades of the second worst team in the league?

Doubt it.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

No we haven't.

Not a chance. We still have arm chair GMs who are convinced, that they can do a better job than our current management.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Fishy Scales

Quote:

Listen to yourself.

As an analogy I went to the U2 concert the other night and was hoping to be entertained. (Imagine that) Hoping for instance to here a band that knew their catalog, how to play their own songs, and what people wanted to see and hear. They are in the business of providing that.

Does the local faithful tune in wanting to see 2 consecutive decades of the second worst team in the league?

Doubt it.
You pay money for what you hope is going to entertain you. But entertainment is, and always will remain, subjective. I may find Eddie Izzard the funniest man on the planet, but that doesn't mean all my friends are gonna love him if I show them some of his best (in *my* opinion that is) clips.

I have a hard time believing that Bono, for instance, said "hey, The Edge, let's not entertain people today" before going on stage the other day when you saw them live. Yet you weren't entertained. Can you measure whose fault that was? Theirs or yours? Did they undeniably suck (and, if so, did they do it on purpose?) or did they just not do what you had expected/wanted them to do?

The Oilers of the 90s and early 00s couldn't ice a team that could entertain us with cup wins; that was an economical impossibility. They did, however, ice a team that was a able to bring some ruckus and knock out the odd giant. At least I found that entertaining, and if I'd expect anything more, then quite frankly I'd be royally stupid.

Saying that the Oilers of the past 20 years has been perpetually unentertaining just reeks of entitlement in my opinion. Interestingly, "entitlement" is a buzz word getting bandied around here as something *very* negative regarding players on the Oilers.

Old
06-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:

Listen to yourself.

Doubt it.
are you saying the Oilers have to be like the Wings to be entertaining? or, at least like say Dallas? Or Montreal? Here's a thought: how about cheering for your own local team regardless of the quality of the players. Edmonton has an NHL team and other than the last 2 years, they have been a legit, middle of the pack team.
How bout enjoying NHL hockey. How bout just be a hockey fan.

the Oil will never be the Yankees or Man U of Hockey. But they are in the NHL and I live in Edmonton. nuff said. If i lived in Saskatoon, I'd probably be more passionate towards the Blades.

Up the Irons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
You pay money for what you hope is going to entertain you. But entertainment is, and always will remain, subjective. I may find Eddie Izzard the funniest man on the planet, but that doesn't mean all my friends are gonna love him if I show them some of his best (in *my* opinion that is) clips.

I have a hard time believing that Bono, for instance, said "hey, The Edge, let's not entertain people today" before going on stage the other day when you saw them live. Yet you weren't entertained. Can you measure whose fault that was? Theirs or yours? Did they undeniably suck (and, if so, did they do it on purpose?) or did they just not do what you had expected/wanted them to do?

The Oilers of the 90s and early 00s couldn't ice a team that could entertain us with cup wins; that was an economical impossibility. They did, however, ice a team that was a able to bring some ruckus and knock out the odd giant. At least I found that entertaining, and if I'd expect anything more, then quite frankly I'd be royally stupid.

Saying that the Oilers of the past 20 years has been perpetually unentertaining just reeks of entitlement in my opinion. Interestingly, "entitlement" is a buzz word getting bandied around here as something *very* negative regarding players on the Oilers.
I've heard comments in this thread that as fans we are spoiled, entitled, etc.

What have we been spoiled and entitled to? Keys to the kingdom? Silver spoons?

We've been devout unwavering fans of the second worst team in the league over the last 2 decades. Its not subjective either, its cold hard results in a results based business.

If anything we deserve loyaty medals.

Or alternately I should feel entitled to eat this gruel which I do anyway.

Old
06-05-2011, 01:48 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
are you saying the Oilers have to be like the Wings to be entertaining? or, at least like say Dallas? Or Montreal? Here's a thought: how about cheering for your own local team regardless of the quality of the players. Edmonton has an NHL team and other than the last 2 years, they have been a legit, middle of the pack team.
How bout enjoying NHL hockey. How bout just be a hockey fan.

the Oil will never be the Yankees or Man U of Hockey. But they are in the NHL and I live in Edmonton. nuff said. If i lived in Saskatoon, I'd probably be more passionate towards the Blades.
3 playoff years in two decades in a league where more than half the teams make the playoffs and where theres been a lot of expansion clubs says what it needs to say.

This org has been bad, real bad, for two decades.

Of course I cheer for the Oilers. I always do. Last I checked they weren't playing. Like most any springtime.

Old
06-05-2011, 01:51 PM
Fishy Scales

Quote:
I've heard comments in this thread that as fans we are spoiled, entitled, etc.

What have we been spoiled and entitled to? Keys to the kingdom? Silver spoons?

We've been devout unwavering fans of the second worst team in the league over the last 2 decades. Its not subjective either, its cold hard results in a results based business.

If anything we deserve loyaty medals.

Or alternately I should feel entitled to eat this gruel which I do anyway.
I don't know what people feel entitled to. I think it starts with an S and ends with a tanley Cup.

I also think we need to separate "entertainment" and "results" here. And we also need to remember that results are very dependent on means (and, for the record, results-wise I don't know how you could say the Oilers have been the second worst team in the league for 20 years).

Some people just seem unable to take it for what it is. Instead they claim to be unentertained because the team hasn't been a perpetual contender. It boggles my mind to be honest.

Old
06-05-2011, 02:09 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
I don't know what people feel entitled to. I think it starts with an S and ends with a tanley Cup.

I also think we need to separate "entertainment" and "results" here. And we also need to remember that results are very dependent on means (and, for the record, results-wise I don't know how you could say the Oilers have been the second worst team in the league for 20 years).

Some people just seem unable to take it for what it is. Instead they claim to be unentertained because the team hasn't been a perpetual contender. It boggles my mind to be honest.
Exactly. Look at the first game of the year. That was the second most entertaining game I've ever seen yet the team wasn't that good this year. I was "entertained" every game I watched because of how good the kids are, yet we clearly didn't win that many. People just seem to think if we don't win the cup it was an unentertaining year

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

Its very clear and I've already defined it. Regular season results, for Seasons ticket holders and what they pay for. Seems to make sense. It seems a little silly to hold on with all might to the few years in 20 that they squeaked into the playoffs and ignore the rest and brunt of the results sample. If it satisfies I could run numbers on Regular season/Playoffs combined and we still have the second worst record of teams that have been in the league the whole 20 yrs.

Quote:
Theres a big difference between there being expectations of contenders vs just expecting a team to show some ability to compete.

Old
06-05-2011, 02:18 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilersfan2354 View Post
Exactly. Look at the first game of the year. That was the second most entertaining game I've ever seen yet the team wasn't that good this year. I was "entertained" every game I watched because of how good the kids are, yet we clearly didn't win that many. People just seem to think if we don't win the cup it was an unentertaining year
You were entertained every game? I kind of doubt it and suspect thats also hyperbole. There were games this year, and many of them, where there were doldrums and passengers.
Where even the Captain of this team repeatedly stated that its important for this club to remember that its always playing for something(development) and pride. But it was stated because on repeated nights this club forgot to play every night and would forget the script.
Some of the very worst examples taking place on home ice.

Old
06-05-2011, 02:25 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
You were entertained every game? I kind of doubt it and suspect thats also hyperbole. There were games this year, and many of them, where there were doldrums and passengers.
Where even the Captain of this team repeatedly stated that its important for this club to remember that its always playing for something(development) and pride. But it was stated because on repeated nights this club forgot to play every night and would forget the script.
Some of the very worst examples taking place on home ice.
I was actually. It might not have been the same player every night, but there was always SOMEONE that stepped it up and made it interesting to watch

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote