HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Newday's Article on Tim Erixon

Old
06-05-2011, 03:00 PM
gotmonte

vCash: 500
Newday's Article on Tim Erixon

Like the title says. Todays Newsday Paper has a nice article on how lucky the Rangers are that they got Tim Erixon.

The link is here:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...gers-1.2930763

If your too lazy to read the article, Clark and Sather both agree that getting Erixon might be the biggest splash they could have made at the Draft. They both feel Erixon is DEFINATELY a TOP 4 Defenseman and is NHL READY. They went on to say it was a NO-BRAINER to make the deal for Erixon. Erixon played with men for 3 years (boy that didnt sound right !LOL J.k) and can step right in and be a top 4 d man.

Also they said they will draft the best player available if a player falls. Whether it is a Goalie, forward, defensemen. Since Clark has taken over the reigns he has drafted some Gems. Gordie went on to say they may have to have discussions about drafting a forward this year since their defense is so stout.

Gordie Clark also said he has NOT SEEN A BETTER GROUP OF YOUNG DEFENSEMEN EVER. Even in the days of Boston in the 80's he says they came close to what the Rangers have NOW on defense but the Rangers are younger so he gave the edge to the Rangers in defenseman!

Now I know we have a good defense corps, but he saying THAT!, That made me very excited.

I know he will be a homer when talking about his kids.. But it was a little more than homerism. It was like he was taken back how good our defense is and will be.

They expect Erixon to step right in next year on the big club.

Seriously, if you have 2-3 minutes, read the article. It was a great read this morning while standing in line for my coffee.

I am STOKED!

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 03:02 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
Like the title says. Todays Newsday Paper has a nice article on how lucky the Rangers are that they got Tim Erixon.

The link is here:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...gers-1.2930763

If your too lazy to read the article, Clark and Sather both agree that getting Erixon might be the biggest splash they could have made at the Draft. They both feel Erixon is DEFINATELY a TOP 4 Defenseman and is NHL READY. They went on to say it was a NO-BRAINER to make the deal for Erixon. Erixon played with men for 3 years (boy that didnt sound right !LOL J.k) and can step right in and be a top 4 d man.

Also they said they will draft the best player available if a player falls. Whether it is a Goalie, forward, defensemen. Since Clark has taken over the reigns he has drafted some Gems. Gordie went on to say they may have to have discussions about drafting a forward this year since their defense is so stout.

Gordie Clark also said he has NOT SEEN A BETTER GROUP OF YOUNG DEFENSEMEN EVER. Even in the days of Boston in the 70's he says they came close to what the Rangers have NOW on defense but the Rangers are younger so he gave the edge to the Rangers in defenseman!

Now I know we have a good defense corps, but he saying THAT!, That made me very excited.

I know he will be a homer when talking about his kids.. But it was a little more than homerism. It was like he was taken back how good our defense is and will be.

They expect Erixon to step right in next year on the big club.

Seriously, if you have 2-3 minutes, read the article. It was a great read this morning while standing in line for my coffee.

I am STOKED!
Thanks for the post, great read! I've loved Erixon since I heard his name come up in the draft in '09 and I am just so excited to see him in Blue!

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 03:07 PM
gotmonte

No problem! My jaw literally DROPPED while I was on line ordering coffee. I knew we had a nice kid. But damn! A top 4 COMING OUT OF THE MOUTH OF GORDIE CLARK means ALOT! I know top 4 is thrown around on HF alot and you take that with a grain of salt but a high ranking talent evaluator claiming TOP FOUR ON THE RANGERS?! WOWZERS!

Gonna be a good decade or so coming up in regards to defense. With the way Gordie is claiming, we can deal a defenseman away and get back a good young forward who could put the puck in the net AND STILL HAVE A GREAT DEFENSE!

Plus with Lundqvist in nets? LIGHTS OUT!

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 03:21 PM
broadwayblue

I do love how we basically pulled a 2nd pairing out of our rear end in the past year...first McDonagh as a throw in on the Gomez deal, and now Erixon for the second rounders. To think we could have our second line set for the next decade from those two moves is simply awesome.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 03:28 PM
Claxton

This team has certainly come a long way since Malik and Rozsival were our only chance for a top pairing.

Now its just an embarrassment of riches.

Claxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Levitate

The biggest short term thing about signing Erixon is that it should help shore up that third pairing that was a problem last year for the Rangers.

Girardi and Staal can handle a lot of minutes, but giving them a bit more of a break and having a 3rd pairing the team can rely on will go a long ways.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 03:41 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claxton View Post
This team has certainly come a long way since Malik and Rozsival were our only chance for a top pairing.

And it only took what, 5 or 6 years ?

Maybe in 5 years we'll have the forwards to go with'em

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post

When building almost exclusively through drafting and trading for prospects, 5-6 years isn't that bad when it comes to building a strong defense...(I'll just ignore Wade Redden)

Old
06-05-2011, 03:47 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:

It's like we more or less tanked in the defensive category.

Only thing is, they haven't yet played to what we hope/assume they will be.

Think a certain character of royalty has the patience to wait for his help to learn how to be of help?

***Not to be Debbie Downer*** This is great news I hope!

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 03:50 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
When building almost exclusively through drafting and trading for prospects, 5-6 years isn't that bad when it comes to building a strong defense...(I'll just ignore Wade Redden)
Draft and trade for more skilled forwards !

Jus kiddin around here

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 03:50 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

If we had a guy like Shea Weber, or hell even a Kris Letang to pair next to Staal, we'd have arguably, IMO, the best defense in the league.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 03:54 PM
bettercallstaal
Custom User Title

Quote:

Yeah that was pretty bad. At least we had a top line of Straka-Nylander-Jagr though. That line was flat out rediculous. God I wish we could just fix our scoring because our d is looking pretty legit these days.

bettercallstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 03:58 PM
bettercallstaal
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
We're getting so deep on d in our organization that he may be seeing the ECHL pretty soon lol.

bettercallstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 04:01 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Hate to be a debbie downer, but I dont think our defense is all that special. I dont hate it. Its adequate. Could be very good for years to come, but nowhere near Gordie Clark's proclamations (who has become quite the sensationalist lately.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 04:02 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Hate to be a debbie downer, but I dont think our defense is all that special. I dont hate it. Its adequate. Could be very good for years to come, but nowhere near Gordie Clark's proclamations (who has become quite the sensationalist lately.
The numbers this year support the idea that we have an upper-echelon D more than we have a run of the mill D.

I think our defense, as a defensive unit, is spectacular. Offensively so? No. Defensively? Absolutely.

Old
06-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

Can someone PM me the whole article? I can't read the whole thing on my phone

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
The numbers this year support the idea that we have an upper-echelon D more than we have a run of the mill D.

I think our defense, as a defensive unit, is spectacular. Offensively so? No. Defensively? Absolutely.
Staal and Girardi are a very good shutdown pairing, no qualms there. Although Girardi folds like a cheap suit without Staal out there with him.

Sauer and McDonagh are nice. I think you've seen the most you're gonna see out of Michael Sauer, which is fine with me. Ryan McDonagh has upside, but upper-echelon defenseman upside? Ehh, maybe, probably not.

We dont even currently have a 3rd pairing. I know everyone is excited about Erixon, but Gordie Clark has been blowing smoke up the fanbase's ass quite frequently lately, and I think its way too early to definitely hand a 20 year old kid a fulltime NHL roster spot. Speaking of the plight's of 20 year olds, Michael Del Zotto will be contending for that spot as well. Offensively talented? Yes. A defensive trainwreck? Also yes. I love Pavel Valentenko's game, but worry about his footspeed. Who else? Gilroy? Give Eminger another shot?

This is not even particularly close to the best defense in the league, let alone the best young crop of defenseman in a generation, which is just ridiculous and needless hyperbole.

If Staal goes down with an injury, this defense would crash like a house of cards.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 04:24 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Staal and Girardi are a very good shutdown pairing, no qualms there. Although Girardi folds like a cheap suit without Staal out there with him.

Sauer and McDonagh are nice. I think you've seen the most you're gonna see out of Michael Sauer, which is fine with me. Ryan McDonagh has upside, but upper-echelon defenseman upside? Ehh, maybe, probably not.

We dont even currently have a 3rd pairing. I know everyone is excited about Erixon, but Gordie Clark has been blowing smoke up the fanbase's ass quite frequently lately, and I think its way too early to definitely hand a 20 year old kid a fulltime NHL roster spot. Speaking of the plight's of 20 year olds, Michael Del Zotto will be contending for that spot as well. Offensively talented? Yes. A defensive trainwreck? Also yes. I love Pavel Valentenko's game, but worry about his footspeed. Who else? Gilroy? Give Eminger another shot?

This is not even particularly close to the best defense in the league, let alone the best young crop of defenseman in a generation, which is just ridiculous and needless hyperbole.

If Staal goes down with an injury, this defense would crash like a house of cards.
To be fair, comparable defenses to ours are not nearly as young. Let's say our third pair next year is an actual possible third pairing that's better than Gilroy and whoever- MDZ and Tim Erixon. Our oldest D-man would be Danny G at 27 (i think?) with Staal, our best d-man, and everyone else 23 or younger.

Our top 4 this year was great defensively. If Sauer stops progressing, that's fine. He's a great defensive d-man who will be on our second pairing. Not a problem. McDonagh has potential to be a first pairing d-man (IMO), and that's our top 4.

As much as I love Hank, and constantly say he's the best goalie in the NHL, many of his league-leading shutouts this year were a combination of his superb goaltending and a great effort from our top 4. I don't think it's out of line to say our top 4 this year was one of the best defensively in the league. When you add offense to the equation we're not as good, but defensively this unit is spectacular.

Once we get a third pairing, I don't think it's out of line at all to say we're a top 5 defense, ESPECIALLY considering the age. This is of course trying to predict the future and hope everyone progresses without any regression or sophomore slump, etc.

Also, just asking, where has Gordie been blowing smoke recently? I understand considering this hyperbole, I agree (i think generational is a stretch, but as of right now I personally agree with Gordie), but I don't think i've seen anything else where he's exaggerated extensively.

edit- Also, many defenses would not be nearly as good without their star player. Doughty in LA, we saw it with Pronger in Philly this year, Boston's defense has struggled in the PO's with a struggling Chara, etc.

Old
06-05-2011, 04:36 PM
broadwayblue

This D was already quite good. With the addition of Erixon and another year of development from McDonagh and Sauer it will be even better. If MDZ gets his act together it could be a great squad. We can worry about McIlrath a year or two from now.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post

Yeah, this, but also that so many of the guys have the ability to move the puck well even if they aren't point producing defensemen. Being able to make good plays with the puck in the defensive zone, or start some good breakout passes (despite what people think, breakout passes really aren't a huge problem for the Rangers) and be mobile in general.

A guy with a bomb from the point and a guy who can put up some points in general could make them a great group overall (and they have those guys in the system now with Erixon and Del Zotto...just need to see if they can pan out)

All of their players are also "smart" players which you might not think means much until you see a really talented guy like Phaneuf sucking because he's not a smart player

Old
06-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post

If Thomas and Kreider hit their potential, it might only be 2-3 years.

Richards feeding Thomas with Dubinsky on the other side? :drool:

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 04:48 PM
NorthlandPro

Funny how many fans here think al dmen aren't all that good. What most are missing is assemblage of a pretty dynamic group. McIlrath is the missing piece. MDZ needs some patience. Dman are always in short supply and when you several go ones it opens up the prospects to deal from strength to acquire something you lack. McDonagh is playing it smart. Safe for a rookie is better than getting lit up nightly, see MDZ. Sauer. What the hell more do people want from him? Guarantee that there are many teams out there wishing we had thrown him in as a after thought on some of the trade proposals on here over the last couple of years. To be this deep in quality is something that this organization has never had. This is how you build a championship team that has a long life span. Something else this organization hasn't seen since WWII broke up the Rangers.

NorthlandPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 05:25 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Can someone please post the quotes from Gordie Clark and any other Rangers personnel quoted in the article?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

On Erixon:

Quote:
"For us, it's a ready-made player -- you don't have to wait to see how he turns out," Clark told Newsday in discussing Erixon, 20, the son of former Ranger Jan Erixon. "We know right now he's a top-four D-man. He's played with men for three years. He's ready to step in right now."
On the upcoming draft and whether they will go defense or take another route such as forward:

Quote:
"Maybe we'll have to have that conversation," Clark said. "Last year, we felt certain with what we had coming that Dylan McIlrath [the 10th pick in 2010] gave us something we didn't have on our D, someone who could make it safe for everyone else to do their jobs and be that needed presence.
Quote:
"Like any year, if it comes to us at 15 and there's someone we have high on our board who's fallen to us, we'll take them, whether it's a defenseman, a goalie or a forward. But maybe we need to have that talk [about drafting someone other than a defenseman] before we get to the table."
On Kreider:

Quote:
"We felt it was his time, but he wanted to wait, and we respect that," Clark said.
On the young defense as a whole:

Quote:
"In Boston, the year we went to the Finals [1989-90], we had [Ray] Bourque, [Glen] Wesley, and if we'd gotten Gordie Kluzak and Michael Thelven back from knee injuries, that would have been close," Clark said. "But never this young a group."

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 05:41 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Thx....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote