HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predictions for 2011-12 Roster

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-05-2011, 09:59 PM
  #51
coz21
Skrillllllz
 
coz21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Upstate
Country: United States
Posts: 502
vCash: 500
FORWARDS
Wojtek Wolski ($3.800m) / Brad Richards ($6.500m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($4.000m) / Artem Anisimov ($2.000m) / Ryan Callahan ($3.800m)
Carl Hagelin ($0.662m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Brian Boyle ($1.500m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
/ Erik Christensen ($0.925m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Mike Sauer ($1.000m)
Tim Erixon ($1.750m) / Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

BUYOUTS
Chris Drury ($3.716m)

SALARY CAP: $62,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,953,833; BONUSES: $2,337,500
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $2,246,167

coz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 10:02 PM
  #52
coz21
Skrillllllz
 
coz21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Upstate
Country: United States
Posts: 502
vCash: 500
^This is with the understanding that Richards' contract is frontloaded

coz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 10:15 PM
  #53
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,116
vCash: 500
I don't think you are going to frontload a contract with only 6.5 mill as a cap hit.

It would be more along the lines of 7.5-8 in the first couple of years if you wanted to frontload the deal.

__________________
New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 10:20 PM
  #54
coz21
Skrillllllz
 
coz21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Upstate
Country: United States
Posts: 502
vCash: 500
Well yeah but frontloading doesn't change the cap hit. Something like 8, 8, 6, 5.5, 5. Cap hit is 6.5.

coz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 10:35 PM
  #55
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,772
vCash: 500
The two major things are to sign Richards and get rid of Drury's contract. After that work on the RFA's--starting with Callahan and Dubinsky--hopefully starting with 4 year deals which I figure will be in the $4 mil per year range. Anisimov should get about half of that for about 2 years. Boyle somewhere around $1.5-1.8 for 2 years. Sauer somewhere between $1.3 and 1.5 for two years.

Bringing back Fedotenko--good idea. I think Prospal is shot and that's too bad because the last two seasons I think he's given the team a lot of spirit but I don't think we're going down that road again. Bringing in one veteran d-man--depending on how much cap space--I'd aim at mid-late 20's d-men like Bieska, Ehrhoff, Pitkanen, Wisniewski, White etc.

As for the Hagelin's, Thomas's if they can earn a spot then fine--but I wouldn't be counting on them right away.

Draft wise--I'm hoping that a Schiefele, Armia or a McNeill might still be around--if not I'm not against drafting a d-man like Oleksiak or Klefbom if they're still around at 15. I don't think we'll be moving up now that we've traded our 2 2nd's. Then again if all those forwards are gone we could trade down in the draft and maybe pick up an extra pick or two and get the same quality player.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 10:44 PM
  #56
NYRangers16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Westchester
Posts: 1,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
The two major things are to sign Richards and get rid of Drury's contract. After that work on the RFA's--starting with Callahan and Dubinsky--hopefully starting with 4 year deals which I figure will be in the $4 mil per year range. Anisimov should get about half of that for about 2 years. Boyle somewhere around $1.5-1.8 for 2 years. Sauer somewhere between $1.3 and 1.5 for two years.

Bringing back Fedotenko--good idea. I think Prospal is shot and that's too bad because the last two seasons I think he's given the team a lot of spirit but I don't think we're going down that road again. Bringing in one veteran d-man--depending on how much cap space--I'd aim at mid-late 20's d-men like Bieska, Ehrhoff, Pitkanen, Wisniewski, White etc.

As for the Hagelin's, Thomas's if they can earn a spot then fine--but I wouldn't be counting on them right away.

Draft wise--I'm hoping that a Schiefele, Armia or a McNeill might still be around--if not I'm not against drafting a d-man like Oleksiak or Klefbom if they're still around at 15. I don't think we'll be moving up now that we've traded our 2 2nd's. Then again if all those forwards are gone we could trade down in the draft and maybe pick up an extra pick or two and get the same quality player.
Agree with all of this - just not sure about signing one of those Dmen as they're gonna cost a pretty penny. The only change i'd make is to get Leino or Laich to play LW.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 03:57 AM
  #57
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Oh how ignorant is this.

Did YOU watch this past season? The Rangers made the playoffs with Gaborik scoring 0 goals down the stretch, and a measly 1 goal in the playoffs. That's 1 goal in his final ~17 games. (And the only one was a gift-wrapped tap-in from Fedotenko) The team also played some of its best hockey of the season while Gaborik was injured. So please, tell me exactly how this team is a rebuilding team without the mighty Gaborik? I have no doubt that he's capable of bouncing back to 40 goal - 40 assist territory, maybe even more playing a full year next to Richards. But I also have no doubts that when the hockey gets tougher, more physical, and defenders start smothering him, he will once again fail to adapt and fight through it. Regular season stats don't impress me in the least if the player isn't at LEAST at that same level of production in the playoffs. The real "elite" players play even better in the playoffs. So enough with calling Gaborik "elite" because he's managed to put up nice regular season numbers while playing mostly shortened seasons. When the going gets tough, Gaborik goes to sleep. The 7.5 million could be much better spent elsewhere. This team is not a rebuilding team without Gaborik. We had tons of injuries last year and still made the playoffs with an impotent Gaborik scoring 3 or 4 goals in last 25 games. This is Staal's team. This is Callahan's team. This is Dubinsky's team. This is Lundqvist's team. This will (likely) be Richards' team. This is not Gaborik's team. And if there are teams who are interested in buying low, and we can still get DECENT value for him, you have to consider it. I'm confident that Sather knows this, and I'm glad you aren't the GM. Thanks for making most of my points for me.
You trade gaborik and you set the team back. Unless you are getting an ELITE scorer back for him then you are setting this team back. Schenn is a very nice prospect but he has proven absolutely nothing. I dont care what your image of an elite player is but gaborik most certainly is one. Yeah he struggled but the guy knows how to shoot the puck. Not many players can shoot like him. The ones that can are the elite players. You clearly dont know what an elite player is. I love the callahan's and the dubinsky's but the bottom line is those guys are not elite offensive players. They just aren't. They are not guys that opposing coaches draw up game plans to stop them. The are secondary players. Dont come on here and try make the claim that gaborik isnt elite. The fact that coaches strategize how to stop gaborik is what makes him elite. They know his capabilities. They know the shot he has.

You're calling me ignorant? You really didn't address the points made about him being smothered this year and having no space on the ice because teams didnt have to worry about our "less gifted" offensive players. You're right he didnt score towards the end of the season. But I guess you just chose to ignore the point of the previous response that he didnt have a guy to feed him the puck, to create space by taking the attention off him.

Your vision is way too clouded. Go ahead be oblivious to how the game of hockey works and that there actually is strategy behind it. Ignore that there was probably a reason why gaborik struggled this year and that it wasnt just some anomaly. I guarantee if Gaborik had scored 40 goals this year, signing richards wouldnt be as dire of a need. And this team would have went a helluva lot farther than they did. Those playoff games were extremely tight against the Caps. Imagine if BR was centering Gaborik. Just a couple goals from Gaborik could have turned that series in our favor.

But you know what you're right this team doesnt need a premiere scorer. They'll be just fine with a bunch of hard working 2nd liners who arent particularly great finishers but because they are blue collar guys we still love them. Sometimes you need elite scorers too or at least just one. They really dont come around too often. We got one two summers ago. I'm not ready to deal him away because we have ignorant fans who make one bad year into a career, and dont you dare say you're not doing that because you wouldnt be saying any of this if gaborik had scored 35+ goals this year. Simple minded people like yourself are ready to jump the gun and throw in the towel on him.

Oh and by the way trying hitting the "return" button in your posts; it's there for a reason.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 11:44 AM
  #58
Ace2008
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country:
Posts: 368
vCash: 500
*******/lQk8bx

http://*******/lQk8bx
Jagr wants 2m$
bt ly is the above link
and Handzus can't argue that he's worth more so sign him for the same amount to bring the possibility of playing Dubi and Callahan significantly less minutes to warrant signing them for far less next season after giving them matching 1 year 2.75m deals...they cant say that they're worth more since C.Perry plays the same amount w/ a much shoddier defense and posts double the goals this season w/ exactly the same amount of intangibles and to MVP value to a team as either Dubinsky or Callahan have ever brought.

Gilroy+Hagelin+Fasth+a pair of picks to the Wild for Burns if they get silly then Avery could be added to give the wild clutterbuck and Avery on 1 line.


Stay away from Drury and B.Richards is the same as Drury excellent before coming to NY but a Concussion Case dwindling fast after arriving in NY.

make it a true 4 line team with each playing equal amounts of Evenstrength minutes. With 4 dangerous wingers on the Right Side and a pair of good shooter on the blueline the efforts of blueliners like DelZotto and McDonagh should increase the PP efficiency significantly

Artukhin looked solid @ 260lbs and is faster the Martin St.Louis in straightline speed. His size combined the fellow 6'4" power forwards Gratchev and Anisimov will be tough to defend against.


Last edited by Ace2008: 06-06-2011 at 11:45 AM. Reason: missing depth chart
Ace2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 12:07 PM
  #59
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2008 View Post
*******/lQk8bx

http://*******/lQk8bx
Jagr wants 2m$
bt ly is the above link
and Handzus can't argue that he's worth more so sign him for the same amount to bring the possibility of playing Dubi and Callahan significantly less minutes to warrant signing them for far less next season after giving them matching 1 year 2.75m deals...they cant say that they're worth more since C.Perry plays the same amount w/ a much shoddier defense and posts double the goals this season w/ exactly the same amount of intangibles and to MVP value to a team as either Dubinsky or Callahan have ever brought.

Gilroy+Hagelin+Fasth+a pair of picks to the Wild for Burns if they get silly then Avery could be added to give the wild clutterbuck and Avery on 1 line.


Stay away from Drury and B.Richards is the same as Drury excellent before coming to NY but a Concussion Case dwindling fast after arriving in NY.

make it a true 4 line team with each playing equal amounts of Evenstrength minutes. With 4 dangerous wingers on the Right Side and a pair of good shooter on the blueline the efforts of blueliners like DelZotto and McDonagh should increase the PP efficiency significantly

Artukhin looked solid @ 260lbs and is faster the Martin St.Louis in straightline speed. His size combined the fellow 6'4" power forwards Gratchev and Anisimov will be tough to defend against.
I'm not sure where your logic is here. Handzus?? REALLY? C'mon. And the reasons behind it is just pure stupidity. Sign him and play dubinsky and cally less who are both better than Handzus so we can sign them for less? You play them less and they wont be signing here next year. And they wont wait, they will sign those two long term now...you dont play games with core players.

Why are we trading Hagelin? Swede, played at Michigan, a top team in the country, and was outstanding. He is ready to go pro and make a push for a roster spot with his 2-way game. No team will trade for Gilroy when they can just sign him. That package wouldnt get you Burns anyways. Fasth is also very young and raw with a lot of talent playing in arguably the 2nd best league in the world. Do you know anything about the guys your throwing away?

Artukhin? Huh. C'mon. Absolutely NOT. Never could cut it in the NHL. That wont change with the rangers.

And I havent been a fan of signing BR but in no way, shape, or form are BR and Drury the same player.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 12:20 PM
  #60
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coz21 View Post
FORWARDS
Wojtek Wolski ($3.800m) / Brad Richards ($6.500m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($4.000m) / Artem Anisimov ($2.000m) / Ryan Callahan ($3.800m)
Carl Hagelin ($0.662m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Brian Boyle ($1.500m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
/ Erik Christensen ($0.925m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Mike Sauer ($1.000m)
Tim Erixon ($1.750m) / Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

BUYOUTS
Chris Drury ($3.716m)

SALARY CAP: $62,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,953,833; BONUSES: $2,337,500
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $2,246,167
This is my roster with only changes being EC out and a cheap option like Mitchell in at the minimum and on D Valenteko will get in if he has to go through waivers like Sauer would have last year. I see what you mean on having 6 D though for cap purposes then calling up one when needed.

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 12:23 PM
  #61
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
This is my roster with only changes being EC out and a cheap option like Mitchell in at the minimum and on D Valenteko will get in if he has to go through waivers like Sauer would have last year. I see what you mean on having 6 D though for cap purposes then calling up one when needed.
I think, however Torts has to work it, eventually or right out of the gate Grachev will be in there over MZA

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 02:40 PM
  #62
smoneil
Registered User
 
smoneil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Rochester
Country: United States
Posts: 2,291
vCash: 500
I see the defense shaking out like this:

Staal Girardi
McD Erixon
MDZ Sauer


The top pair remains intact because of the importance of their job. I see McD and Erixon together because both are good defensively and growing on the attack. I know that McD and Sauer were great last season, but IMO Sauer is the better partner for Del Zotto. MDZ needs to regain his offensive swagger, and that will be easier to do with a rock like Sauer next to him (as opposed to a rookie in Erixon who would be learning the NHL game AND adjust to playing right-side defense).

As far as the lines, anybody's guess could be correct.

Line 1- X Richards Gaborik
Line 2- Dubi Anisimov Cally
Line 3- Fedotenko Stepan MZA
Line 4- Avery Boyle Prust

If it's financially possible, I could really see Torts putting Wolski on first line LW. Wolski has the talent, and if anybody can bring it out of him, it's Richards.

Extra/Knocking on the door: Grachev, Kreider, EC, Hagelin

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 03:15 PM
  #63
Yellot00tr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 67
vCash: 500
Whatever the reasons, we need a top line center. We've needed one for years, that's why we went after Gomez and Drury. Regardless of whether it's Gaborik or anyone else playing the wings, we still need a top line center. I love our home grown guys, and i'm happy they're starting to really do well, but let's be honest, currently, we don't have a top line center on the team. If we did, people would be screaming and yelling that we shouldn't waste money on someone like Richards because we already have INSERT NAME.

Also, i know this isn't what the thread is about, but I'm so sick of reading the words "he could be a 20 goal scorer." When the hell did being a 20 goal scorer start to mean so much to so many people? Getting 20 goals barely gets you into the top 100 in terms of goal leaders. That's really not saying that much considering that there 30 teams with 90 top line guys.

Yellot00tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 03:21 PM
  #64
Zuccarello Awesome*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
You trade gaborik and you set the team back. Unless you are getting an ELITE scorer back for him then you are setting this team back. Schenn is a very nice prospect but he has proven absolutely nothing. I dont care what your image of an elite player is but gaborik most certainly is one. Yeah he struggled but the guy knows how to shoot the puck. Not many players can shoot like him. The ones that can are the elite players. You clearly dont know what an elite player is. I love the callahan's and the dubinsky's but the bottom line is those guys are not elite offensive players. They just aren't. They are not guys that opposing coaches draw up game plans to stop them. The are secondary players. Dont come on here and try make the claim that gaborik isnt elite. The fact that coaches strategize how to stop gaborik is what makes him elite. They know his capabilities. They know the shot he has.

You're calling me ignorant? You really didn't address the points made about him being smothered this year and having no space on the ice because teams didnt have to worry about our "less gifted" offensive players. You're right he didnt score towards the end of the season. But I guess you just chose to ignore the point of the previous response that he didnt have a guy to feed him the puck, to create space by taking the attention off him.

Your vision is way too clouded. Go ahead be oblivious to how the game of hockey works and that there actually is strategy behind it. Ignore that there was probably a reason why gaborik struggled this year and that it wasnt just some anomaly. I guarantee if Gaborik had scored 40 goals this year, signing richards wouldnt be as dire of a need. And this team would have went a helluva lot farther than they did. Those playoff games were extremely tight against the Caps. Imagine if BR was centering Gaborik. Just a couple goals from Gaborik could have turned that series in our favor.

But you know what you're right this team doesnt need a premiere scorer. They'll be just fine with a bunch of hard working 2nd liners who arent particularly great finishers but because they are blue collar guys we still love them. Sometimes you need elite scorers too or at least just one. They really dont come around too often. We got one two summers ago. I'm not ready to deal him away because we have ignorant fans who make one bad year into a career, and dont you dare say you're not doing that because you wouldnt be saying any of this if gaborik had scored 35+ goals this year. Simple minded people like yourself are ready to jump the gun and throw in the towel on him.

Oh and by the way trying hitting the "return" button in your posts; it's there for a reason.
I did address those points. I even said that I have no doubts Gaborik will return to 40-40 form and probably more if he plays a full year with Richards. The point remains, the 7.5 could be better spent elsewhere. Your argument is that Schenn hasn't proven anything yet. That's like saying that you don't want to invest in nanotechnology because it isn't the standard right now! Of course he hasn't proven anything. He's a prospect! He hasn't had a CHANCE to "prove" anything at the NHL level. How shortsighted can you be? Furthermore, getting Jack Johnson and trading Girardi while his value his at an all-time high does more for this team than holding onto Gaborik and letting him leech of Richards to inflate his regular season stats. Does Boston have a Gaborik? Does Vancouver have a Gaborik? Nope, but they both have great playmakers and opportunistic scorers who work hard to get their scoring chances. What do they also both have? Fast, mobile, puck-moving defensemen and fast, mobile, hard-hitting defensemen.

Your point about us having Richards this playoffs would've made Gaborik score game-winning goals and turn the series in our favor is a joke, right? If we had Richards, we likely win the series. That has diddly squat to do with Gaborik. Your taking the great skills of Richards and then making it like that's all Gaborik would've needed to show how good he is! The real "elite" players make players around them better. Gaborik is not this. He is not "elite." He's a gifted goal scorer, but he's not an elite-level player in this league. He's too one dimensional.

Another thing is that in hockey 2 + 2 doesn't always equal 4. Who would've thought that Dany Heatley moving to SJ to play with Joe Thornton would actually drop his goal totals? He scored 26 goals this year. I know he didn't play the full year with Thornton. But why is that? Because it wasn't working! There's no guarantee that a great playmaker and a great goal scorer are going to make for a doubly great duo. It just isn't that simple.

If you can get a good return for Gaborik now, you have to do it. This team is too close to hold onto a guy who can get nice regular season numbers but won't help us get to that next level in the post-season. Richards makes us a much better team. He doesn't need Gaborik on his wing to do that. He put up 90 points playing with Neal/Benn and Erikkson. None of those players have Gaborik's pure goal scoring ability but they can skate and drive to the net and finish a nice pass. That's all it takes.

I know I can't change your mind, but you're really missing the big picture.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 03:38 PM
  #65
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
I did address those points. I even said that I have no doubts Gaborik will return to 40-40 form and probably more if he plays a full year with Richards. The point remains, the 7.5 could be better spent elsewhere. Your argument is that Schenn hasn't proven anything yet. That's like saying that you don't want to invest in nanotechnology because it isn't the standard right now! Of course he hasn't proven anything. He's a prospect! He hasn't had a CHANCE to "prove" anything at the NHL level. How shortsighted can you be? Furthermore, getting Jack Johnson and trading Girardi while his value his at an all-time high does more for this team than holding onto Gaborik and letting him leech of Richards to inflate his regular season stats. Does Boston have a Gaborik? Does Vancouver have a Gaborik? Nope, but they both have great playmakers and opportunistic scorers who work hard to get their scoring chances. What do they also both have? Fast, mobile, puck-moving defensemen and fast, mobile, hard-hitting defensemen.

Your point about us having Richards this playoffs would've made Gaborik score game-winning goals and turn the series in our favor is a joke, right? If we had Richards, we likely win the series. That has diddly squat to do with Gaborik. Your taking the great skills of Richards and then making it like that's all Gaborik would've needed to show how good he is! The real "elite" players make players around them better. Gaborik is not this. He is not "elite." He's a gifted goal scorer, but he's not an elite-level player in this league. He's too one dimensional.

Another thing is that in hockey 2 + 2 doesn't always equal 4. Who would've thought that Dany Heatley moving to SJ to play with Joe Thornton would actually drop his goal totals? He scored 26 goals this year. I know he didn't play the full year with Thornton. But why is that? Because it wasn't working! There's no guarantee that a great playmaker and a great goal scorer are going to make for a doubly great duo. It just isn't that simple.

If you can get a good return for Gaborik now, you have to do it. This team is too close to hold onto a guy who can get nice regular season numbers but won't help us get to that next level in the post-season. Richards makes us a much better team. He doesn't need Gaborik on his wing to do that. He put up 90 points playing with Neal/Benn and Erikkson. None of those players have Gaborik's pure goal scoring ability but they can skate and drive to the net and finish a nice pass. That's all it takes.

I know I can't change your mind, but you're really missing the big picture.
Just curious, how would it be better spent?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 04:51 PM
  #66
Richter35
Registered User
 
Richter35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,362
vCash: 500
I don't think that Drury is retiring, nor would he waive his NMC. Glen doesn't like buyouts. You can have richards AND keep Drury if the RFA's are signed for something reasonable and you let gilroy and wolski go for picks, just don't take back salary. I don't think Erixon is ready for primetime, theyll sign a vet D like Sean O'Donnell, bring back Eminger for cheap. I think it could shake out like this -

FORWARDS
Brandon Dubinsky ($3.850m) / Brad Richards ($6.800m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.850m) / Ryan Callahan ($3.800m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m)
Ruslan Fedotenko ($1.200m) / Brian Boyle ($1.900m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
Erik Christensen ($0.925m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Mike Sauer ($1.400m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m) / Steve Eminger ($0.800m)
Sean O'Donnell ($1.000m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,875,000; BONUSES: $1,487,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,525,000

Richter35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 05:00 PM
  #67
Zuccarello Awesome*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Just curious, how would it be better spent?
There are many ways, but in my opinion, if LA still has any interest in Gaborik, it'd be much better spent with 4.375 on Jack Johnson, the ELC on Schenn and/or the ~1-1.5 million Simmonds will get as a non-arbitration RFA. The big plus is that a deal like this saves money so that dealing Girardi+ for a big time player (Lecavalier, Spezza, etc) is actually doable on top of signing Richards. I'd rather spend 7.7 on Vinny Lecavalier until he's 40 and worry about the repercussions 8 years from now, than to waste Lundqvist's prime years with 1st and 2nd round exits with Gaborik who breaks down and can't find that next gear in the playoffs. He's just not a leader. This team is so close. It'd be a shame to waste Lundqvist's best years because we're worried about cap implications (when we really have no idea what will happen to the cap by then, good or bad) 8-9 years from now.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 05:56 PM
  #68
Janerixon
Registered User
 
Janerixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter35 View Post
I don't think that Drury is retiring, nor would he waive his NMC. Glen doesn't like buyouts. You can have richards AND keep Drury if the RFA's are signed for something reasonable and you let gilroy and wolski go for picks, just don't take back salary. I don't think Erixon is ready for primetime, theyll sign a vet D like Sean O'Donnell, bring back Eminger for cheap. I think it could shake out like this -

FORWARDS
Brandon Dubinsky ($3.850m) / Brad Richards ($6.800m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.850m) / Ryan Callahan ($3.800m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m)
Ruslan Fedotenko ($1.200m) / Brian Boyle ($1.900m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
Erik Christensen ($0.925m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Mike Sauer ($1.400m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m) / Steve Eminger ($0.800m)
Sean O'Donnell ($1.000m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,875,000; BONUSES: $1,487,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,525,000

I wouldn't say that Sather doesn't like buyouts, he just is smart when it comes to moving dead weight. He did buyout Bobby Holik in 2005, he should have bought out Todd White last season but did it really matter? Was there a player available we didn't end up getting because of cap issues? I think it is pretty clear it is time to move on and let someone else wear the C, I expect Drury to be bought out. Wolski is in a contract year and I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him to see what we can get out of him, plus is he clutch in shootouts. It just depends on if they think he will play up to potential here and do what torts wants, I see him getting the Zherdev treatment and thrown out the door.

As much as I would like O'Donnell signed as the 7th man, that won't happen as he can be a 3rd pair d-man somewhere and get more money elsewhere as well. We will see who they bring in here, though I wouldn't mind Eminger being brought back as the 7th man at all. You are missing Erixon he will make this team.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 06:56 PM
  #69
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 43,869
vCash: 500
Has Wolski yet reached the point where he has negative value? Would moving his salary without having to buy him out be considered a positive?

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 06:57 PM
  #70
JeffMangum
~anger~
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 58,073
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Has Wolski yet reached the point where he has negative value? Would moving his salary without having to buy him out be considered a positive?
I would say so.

__________________
Soon.
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 10:02 PM
  #71
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Dubinsky-Richards (7 mill cap hit, 6 year contract)-Gaborik
Prospal-Ansimov-Callahan
Avery-Stepan-MZA
Fedotenko-Boyle-Prust

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Sauer
Valentenko-Erixon

Lundqvist
Biron

Drury bought out, Wolski bought out or traded.

Hagelin, Grachev, Del Zotto receive call ups through out season.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 11:17 PM
  #72
mcsauer2738
Registered User
 
mcsauer2738's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,059
vCash: 500
I'm hoping that we carry a 13th forward for two reasons.
1) If someone is not feeling great or playing great he can sit. This will also make players give it all every night knowing there is a guy in the pressbox dying to get out there
2) To carry a gritty 13th forward for when we play physical teams (i.e. Boston)

To me that guy is Kris Newbury. I want to give him a league minimum 1-way contract. He's gritty, good on faceoffs and is more than willing to drop the gloves. For example for a team as stacked with toughness as Boston is we can't go into Boston with just Prust, Avery, and Sauer as our regulars who will drop em', having Newbury, a guy who can play as an equalizer would even up the physical play.

mcsauer2738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 02:20 AM
  #73
Blazephr
Registered User
 
Blazephr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vermont - NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,857
vCash: 500
http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=645

what is "ENTRY-LEVEL SLIDE"?

How come Anisimov's ELC didn't kick in during his first pro year with Hartford in the 2007-08 season?



It looks as if Grachev has this "ENTRY-LEVEL SLIDE". His ELC kicked in this past season.
http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=729

how does this "ENTRY-LEVEL SLIDE" work according to a prospect's ELC kicking in at a certain time?

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 09:08 AM
  #74
Richter35
Registered User
 
Richter35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=645

what is "ENTRY-LEVEL SLIDE"?

How come Anisimov's ELC didn't kick in during his first pro year with Hartford in the 2007-08 season?



It looks as if Grachev has this "ENTRY-LEVEL SLIDE". His ELC kicked in this past season.
http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=729

how does this "ENTRY-LEVEL SLIDE" work according to a prospect's ELC kicking in at a certain time?
Basically if you sign before the age of 20 and don't play in the NHL for more than 9 games, the contract "slides" to the following year until the player is 20. CHL players can't play in the AHL until they turn 20, but imports like Grachev/Anisimov can. Thus, grachev's 19 year-old season in Hartford didn't count towards his ELC, nor did Anisimov's. A more extreme example of this is Niklas Bergfors who was drafted in '05 and had his first contract expire last year, playing 3 years in the AHL in the meantime.

Richter35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 09:13 AM
  #75
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Has Wolski yet reached the point where he has negative value? Would moving his salary without having to buy him out be considered a positive?
Depends on who you ask. Some folks feel that he's worthless, while others feel like he could still contribute.

Either way, he appears to be in Tortorella's dog house. Only guys I've ever seen come out of there alive are Lecavalier and Mike Sauer. Wouldn't hold out hope for W2 in NY.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.