HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Official 2011 Habs Board (annual) Mock Draft (Part 2) COMPLETE

Old
06-05-2011, 09:53 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I have to say....pretty interesting drat as far as I was concerned. Not only was I the GM of a team that changed cities in the middle of it....but I also was the GM of a team that changed GM in the end of it....pretty interesting...

Anyway, for the , their last pick of this draft, the 205th pick belong to a guy we can't wait believe lasted that long, forward Yannick Veilleux of the Shawinigan Cataractes.

I'd go as far as to think the ratio rank/quality, we've just made a great pick. Veilleux is big, skates well for a guy his size, use his body wisely, good offensive instincts. If he can work on being more agile, there's still some interesting tools to work with as far as he's concerned.

Next GM was PM'ed.

Detroit 2011 draft picks with GM (Harry I) and Asst.-GM (Whitesnake)

1st round (25th pick): Vladislav Namestnikov
2nd round (56th pick): Vincent Trocheck
3rd round (85th pick): Joseph Cramarossa
4th round (115th pick): Zakhar Arzamastsev
5th round (145th pick): Alessio Bertaggia

5th round (148th pick) : Maximilien Le Sieur
6th round (175th pick): Albin Blomqvist
7th round (205th pick): Yannick Veilleux
I like our draft.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Well, when you pick second last, I guess it really doesn't matter who you pick so... time to go out on a limb (I knew no one else would find this guy, so I held onto him until this pick).

With the 209th pick overall, Washington selects defenseman Karol Korim of KLH Chomutov.

"The major knock against Karol is his name. Not exactly very masculine. But what IS masculine about this 17 year old is his size: 6'2" 210 lbs. He isn't the strongest of skaters, and has a below average first step, but we feel he is just growing into his large body, and with strength and training it should improve. One thing we really like, though, is his ability to get involved in scoring plays. He is able to get his point shot through traffic and on the net, and his 12 goals helped him to finish 4th in scoring among all defenseman in the Slovakian U20 division (and by far the highest scoring defenseman in his age class; almost twice as many points as Pavelka). He also showed well at the U18 WJCs, leading to recognition as one of Slovakia's 3 best players in the tournament, so we don't mind selecting him in the 7th round."

edit: le_sean PM'd.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Washington's Draft Summary

Well, Washington sits down for the final time. I must say, despite not having a second or third round pick, I'm pretty happy with both the group of players I got AND where I was able to get them.

29. Alexander Khokhlachev
119. Zac Larraza
149. Adam Pettersson
179. Sean Kuraly
209. Karol Korim

There are so many interesting players that I left on the board at the end here. After the last pick is made, I'll toss out some names just to see if anyone else had them on/near their radar.

Old
06-05-2011, 10:50 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Here's the results of the Wild draft. A few gambles...will see if it pays of in a few year...

1st - Joel Armia
3rd - Olivier Archambault
4th - Magnus Hellberg
5th - Austin Wuthrich
6th - Matej Stransky
7th - Dan Carlson

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 10:54 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Well, when you pick second last, I guess it really doesn't matter who you pick so... time to go out on a limb (I knew no one else would find this guy, so I held onto him until this pick).

With the 209th pick overall, Washington selects defenseman Karol Korim of KLH Chomutov.
Interesting pick, not familiar with him at all (as you predicted ). Think he has a chance of getting drafted for realz?

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 11:25 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Interesting pick, not familiar with him at all (as you predicted ). Think he has a chance of getting drafted for realz?
He's not even ranked/rated, and there are definitely some flaws in his game, so chances might not be in his favour. He's pretty much as young as they come as far as draft eligibility, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him go undrafted and maybe picked up next year (he'll still be 18 at the next draft) if he has another good season. He's an interesting and seemingly effective package, and he's technically eligible age, so I figured I'd take him now and maybe look like a genius somewhere down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesmaster View Post
Lol well its a good thing I didnt have a 7th rounder, I would have raged since he was my target. Getting skipped by 2 spots in the 7th round lol, woulda flipped a desk.
Just got a chance to read back, and saw this. Every time I hear about flipping stuff, or riots in general, this episode of Clone High comes immediately to mind:

(link in case that doesn't show up: www.youtube.com/watch?v=giaBe-yXDOY) Remind anyone around here of anything?

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 06-06-2011 at 08:23 AM.
Old
06-06-2011, 01:02 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesmaster View Post
Lol well its a good thing I didnt have a 7th rounder, I would have raged since he was my target. Getting skipped by 2 spots in the 7th round lol, woulda flipped a desk.
I'm surprised he fell this low, actually.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 04:47 PM
le_sean

Hey guys, I'll make my pick shortly to finish us up. Sorry, I was at work all day.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 05:03 PM
le_sean

With the last pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, the Vancouver Canucks select forward Zach Franko of the Kelowna Rockets.

With great speed, a great wrister and good hockey sense, we hope Zach can continue to grow upon his good rookie season in the WHL. Though he needs to add weight, the skillset and smarts are there. Hopefully he can be our very own Patric Hornqvist and become a solid NHLer despite being the last pick overall.

Old
06-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Fantastic job this year guys!

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 05:05 PM
pine

vCash: 50
what's next? Development camp invites?

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 05:06 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Fantastic job this year guys!
It ran very smoothly this year. Thanks for letting me join, this was great.

Old
06-06-2011, 05:07 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFpineapple View Post
what's next? Development camp invites?
Vote for Top 3/Bottom 3?

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 05:08 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Yeah definitely a good one this year Thanks everyone, and special thanks to Habsfan 18 for running it (but I still hate you for sniping Benson)

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 05:20 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Final Stats After Seven Rounds

40 players drafted from the OHL
34 players drafted from the WHL
24 players drafted from Sweden
23 players drafted from the QMJHL
20 players drafted from US High School
14 players drafted from the US NTDP
12 players drafted from the USHL
10 players drafted from Finland
10 players drafted from the NCAA
8 players drafted from Russia
4 players drafted from Switzerland
3 players drafted from Czech Republic
2 players drafted from other CAN Jr Leagues
2 players drafted from Slovakia
1 player drafted from the BCHL
1 player drafted from Germany
1 player drafted from Norway
1 player drafted from other USA Jr League

79 Canadians drafted
58 Americans drafted
36 Swedes drafted
13 Russians drafted
11 Finns drafted
8 Czechs drafted
5 Swiss drafted
4 Slovaks drafted
3 Germans drafted
2 Norwegians drafted
1 Austrian drafted
1 Dane drafted

habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
A very big thank you to habsfan18 on running a very smooth and solid mock draft this year. Was tons of fun, and look forward to doing it again next year.

Old
06-06-2011, 06:14 PM
Garo

Just for fun, here are the players that were my second choices:

1- Nicklas Jensen
3- Gregory Hofmann
4- Marek Tvrdon
5- Eddie Wittchow
6- Nick Bligh
7- Henri Auvinen

Garo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 06:20 PM
le_sean

1/30: Tyler Biggs
2/60: Nick Shore
3/90: Andrei Pedan
4/120: Destry Straight
5/150: Joakim Ryan
6/180: Matt McNeely
7/210: Zach Franko

Not a bad draft. Just tried to add some safe picks to a prospect pool that is one of the poorest in the league. Biggs and Shore were guys that fell a bit and were no-brainers to draft. I probably took Pedan a little high, but who knows if he would have lasted another 30 picks, plus he had a great playoff. I really like my last two picks in McNeely and Franko.

Old
06-06-2011, 07:04 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Cheers to the skipper once again for putting this all together, and cheers also to habsprospects for the drafting breakdowns. I really appreciate those, too. Good job everyone!

Old
06-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Congrats to Habsfan18 and everybody who participated in this one. Great response. Not going to talk for Habsfan18, but if you guys are around next year and are still interested....you're in!

Went so smooth that we could go at it again.... I know that my opinions is still changing for quite some guys.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
Just for fun, here are the players that were my second choices:

1- Nicklas Jensen
3- Gregory Hofmann
4- Marek Tvrdon
5- Eddie Wittchow
6- Nick Bligh
7- Henri Auvinen
Was on my radar for a while. Without getting too deep into player analysis, here are some guys that I kinda felt I "left behind" (in no "ranked" order):

Defensemen
Bohumil Jank - one of my picks last year, I think. I don't think he gets left behind again.
Mattias Bäckman - maybe stumbled a bit this year instead of moving straight upwards
Oleg Misyul - this guy is too good to go undrafted, but I already took my stab at a Russian.
Ildar Isangulov -first of all, how did some Lord of the Rings nerd not take this guy for his name? Second of all, he's a dump truck.
Stepan Jenik - didn't impress me that much, but could be a serviceable player
Anton Saveliev - no one took this guy at all?
Simon Karlsson - just one of those names you assume will get drafted, lol.
Jarrod Rabey - I think we took every Indiana Ice player except for this 6'1 245 lbs brick wall.

Centre
Andrej Stastny - I think he can be signed as a UFA now, so I understand. Someone SOMEwhere is going to find a use for this guy.
Lukas Sedlak - I had to keep checking to make sure this faceoffs monster wasn't taken. I almost took a stab at him twice, but went another way both times because of who was still available.

Wingers
Ville Rantanen - I'm not a big high school guy, but this guy obliterated the USHS in his first year and I thought someone would pick him for sure.
Tanner Sorenson - another guy who tore up the USHS.
Thomas Nykopp - don't know this guy? Take a look. Drafted 2nd overall into the USHL this year, and is a player who has been taking large steps in a very short time.
Nikita Dvurechensky - overager, but after the WJCs I thought I'd see this alternate captain of team Russia get picked.
Ludwig Blomstrand - is good... better than his SuperElit numbers suggest.
Tomas Mikus - Slovakia is one of those places I took a hard look at this year because I expected no one else would. And this guy is one of their best.
Vladimir Dolnik - see comment above.
Darcy Ashley - I'm not one for the smaller guys, but he plays for my local junior club, so here's his shout out.
Joakim Nygård - a Swedish guy, with serious grit? Whaaaa? Also on the rise, and scoring like mad at every level along the way.

Goalie
Matej Machovsky - I don't care what the rankings are, I like this guys NHL chances as much as any of the goalies ranked above him. Best rookie GAA in the OHL this year, and top 3 player on his U18 WJC team.
Marcus Due-Boje - sometimes it's easy to write off smaller goalies, but consider this: Best goalie, GAA and SV% in '08/09 in U16. Best goalie, GAA and SV% in '09/10 in U18. Best GAA and SV% in '10/11 in U20. So... smaller goalie who has been the best goalie in every league he has played in, and steadily on the rise... sound familiar to anyone?

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 06-06-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old
06-06-2011, 10:15 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Some names on my list that weren't picked were..
Sebastien Uvira
Artem Sergeev
David Lillstrom.

Great work, Habsfan18. All the other GMs in the draft. Was a pleasure and I'm definitely in for next years draft.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

5 - Jonathan Huberdeau
34 - Victor Rask
50 - Ryan Sproul
63 - Joseph LaBate
94 - Michael Paliotta
124 - Justin Thomas
184 - Matt Mahalak

I'm pretty happy with my draft, I made few high-risk, high-reward picks and I think a few will pay off in the end.

Huge thanks to Habsfan18 and all the other GMs for keeping up the pace and making this as fun as possible. Looking forward to the draft!

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 10:27 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Some names on my list that weren't picked were..
Sebastien Uvira
Artem Sergeev
David Lillstrom.

Great work, Habsfan18. All the other GMs in the draft. Was a pleasure and I'm definitely in for next years draft.
Wasn't expecting to see any names that I WASN'T familiar with at this point, but wow, here we are. Then again, I gave almost no consideration to anyone in the German leagues this year (their time is coming, though). The few I thought were "worthy" got grabbed well ahead of either my pick or where I would have taken a stab at them anyway.

Sergeev is a good call. Obviously didn't make my list, but can see how he'd make someone's. Moskva really wants him back in the motherland, and if he doesn't get serious interest by the end of his QMJHL career, he'll likely go back.

Lilliestrom-Karlsson (or whatever his name really is) would be a surprise to me if someone drafted him.

Old
06-06-2011, 11:49 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Uvira and Sergeev were two names I'd considered in the 7th as well. Aside from one appearance by Uvira on the ISS "risers" list posted on HockeysFuture.com I know next to nothing about him.

Sergeev is interesting and could easily get picked in the later rounds this year...

I liked Dvurchensky at the WJCs too. I think he could do some damage if he plays with other talented players. But probably too much of a risk for any NHL team.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote