HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Automobile Questions

Old
06-04-2011, 10:36 PM
coolasprICE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Okay boys and girls, I have another freakin long automobile question. As you'll see....I'm totally undecided and find that there's way too many possibilities as far as those models are concerned.

I'd first like to say that those models are all in my price range, so need to put it in that order. All of these for new 2011 models. But after that, what's most important for me are:
  • Fuel economy
  • Space (trunk and rest of the car)
  • Family oriented
  • Techno oriented (great radio, mp3 oriented, bluetooth etc.)
  • Confortable
  • Trusted
  • Best overall car.
Put those models in order for me with maybe a little comment as far as who to NOT TAKE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE...and maybe who I should STRONGLY considerate. I need to come down to a list of 5-7. Can't visit dealers for 1 month in a row.

Here we go:
CHEVROLET TRAVERSE
CHEVROLET EQUINOX
DODGE JOURNEY
FORD EDGE
GMC TERRAIN
HONDA CR-V
HYUNDAI SANTA FE
HYUNDAI TUCSON
HYUNDAI VERACRUZ
KIA RONDO
KIA SORENTO
KIA SPORTAGE
MAZDA 5
MAZDA CX-7
MITSUBISHI OUTLANDER
NISSAN MURANO
NISSAN ROGUE
SUBARU FORESTER
SUBARU OUTBACK
TOYOTA RAV 4
TOYOTA VENZA
VOLKS TIGUAN

I know it's a lot....but I have the hardest time to decide right now.

Thanks.
honestly, this might not be the sexiest pick, but the Honda C-RV has been one of the best value automobiles in the last 10 years... I know a guy with a 1999 I believe, with over 300KM.

Of course, if you're looking for more sizzle, than Murano or such would be a better pick I imagine.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 05:50 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
honestly, this might not be the sexiest pick, but the Honda C-RV has been one of the best value automobiles in the last 10 years... I know a guy with a 1999 I believe, with over 300KM.

Of course, if you're looking for more sizzle, than Murano or such would be a better pick I imagine.
Went for a road test with the CR-V Friday night and frankly, came away a little dissapointed. There's just no "oumph" under that hood. No V6 is pretty stupid also. Takes an awful lot of time to respond to the acceleration........And they have 3 models, and not a group of options. If you want something, you HAVE to take the sunroof. If you're interested in a better radio, you HAVE to go leather...Pretty strange. Not entirely out of my list, but it's not looking good right now. Still looking.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 07:11 AM
RC51

Please remember everyone, that all services like carfax the information offered is very suspect.
The information used is not ordered by any government or under any supervision.
The information is offered by the owner of a used car under no penalty of truth. The owner is in direct conflict of interest as he wants the most for his used car and wishes to hide any major defect or information on any major smashes he has had. Services like Carfax only reports what the owner has offered as information. Carfax has full immunity as to truth.
This of course does not include the car dealers that simply lie or even rewrite the information ( to his advantage) on car they bought at scrap auctions, rebuild and sell as " owned by a little old lady that used the car once a month to do groceries".

The ONLY true test is to take the car to YOUR TRUSTED mechanic and have him give you a complete report.
if the seller is not willing to let you take the car to YOUR guy. RUN RUN RUN don't walk, RUN.

Your mechanic will not only let you know everything about this car but also offer you a good idea if this car ages well and is NOT a REPAIR TRAP, this information comes from the years of experience that your mechanic has under his belt.

In fact, I would be very suspect of ANY sales guys that tries to offer Carfax as a kind of proof in order to close the sale. All used car sales guys know all about carfax and the utter lack of truth about many of the reports. An honest sales guy will tell you the truth about carfax type services, BUT a dishonest sales guys will NOT tell you, he will just shut-up about it and let you fall into that trap or even go as far as to offer carfax as PROOF of a great bargain.

Take the car to your mechanic, take the car to your mechanic, take the car to your mechanic.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 07:17 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Went for a road test with the CR-V Friday night and frankly, came away a little dissapointed. There's just no "oumph" under that hood. No V6 is pretty stupid also. Takes an awful lot of time to respond to the acceleration........And they have 3 models, and not a group of options. If you want something, you HAVE to take the sunroof. If you're interested in a better radio, you HAVE to go leather...Pretty strange. Not entirely out of my list, but it's not looking good right now. Still looking.
I had a long response a few days ago written but my computer crashed so I ended up not responding.

In that answer, one of the things I said was if you wanted a well built car that would last for a long time without giving you any problems and great gas mileage, then you should pick the CR-V. My father has had one for years, so I know it really well. However, if your priorities include a car that has oomph don't pick the CR-V, the CR-V is just a really good car with great fuel economy and great room for the size that it is.

It sounds like you need to forget gas mileage as one of your top priorities and go for something like the Equinox ... great price for the package that is has and it is a great drive.

BTW, if you want oomph don't bother driving the CX-7 either .. you will also be disappointed. My brother has one and I have also driven it many times.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 09:00 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
I had a long response a few days ago written but my computer crashed so I ended up not responding.

In that answer, one of the things I said was if you wanted a well built car that would last for a long time without giving you any problems and great gas mileage, then you should pick the CR-V. My father has had one for years, so I know it really well. However, if your priorities include a car that has oomph don't pick the CR-V, the CR-V is just a really good car with great fuel economy and great room for the size that it is.

It sounds like you need to forget gas mileage as one of your top priorities and go for something like the Equinox ... great price for the package that is has and it is a great drive.

BTW, if you want oomph don't bother driving the CX-7 either .. you will also be disappointed. My brother has one and I have also driven it many times.
Thanks man. In the end, my top choices were/are: CR-V, Equinox, Santa Fe, Sorento, Sportage, Rogue and there's one I just drool over the look....but I always I would stick with Euros....it's the Terrain.

Old
06-05-2011, 09:04 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Another question that was probably responded already but I'll really like to know.....is going for a 4-wheel drive REALLY necessary? I mean nowadays, don't they have all those kinds of assistance in a 2-wheel drive that would make any SUV much safer than it was before? Is 2 000$ more really worth it since I don't live in the mountains where I have to go up a steep hill every day, where I don't really live in tough conditions....Yet, with the winter we have....or the rain we have....is a 4-wheel really important?

I hear that once you go 4-wheel...you never want to go back....but then is it that important to "go"? 'Cause then you read about cars/trucks who are "real" 4-wheels"...not so real....one worst than others etc....

Thanks.

Old
06-05-2011, 09:08 AM
zzoo

Quote:
Thanks man. In the end, my top choices were/are: CR-V, Equinox, Santa Fe, Sorento, Sportage, Rogue and there's one I just drool over the look....but I always I would stick with Euros....it's the Terrain.
I've leased the Rogue (first model). I've had it almost for 4 years now.

Plus: I like the SUV car type. I love the look. I love AWD.

Minus: Engine a bit noisy. Acceleration is weak. Heat is slow.

Fuel consumption: 11.5 L/100km in winter. 10.8 L/100km in summer. The lowest ever I could reach is 8.7, during my long trip where I drive most of the time on highway.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 09:12 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Please remember everyone, that all services like carfax the information offered is very suspect.
The information used is not ordered by any government or under any supervision.
The information is offered by the owner of a used car under no penalty of truth. The owner is in direct conflict of interest as he wants the most for his used car and wishes to hide any major defect or information on any major smashes he has had. Services like Carfax only reports what the owner has offered as information. Carfax has full immunity as to truth.
This of course does not include the car dealers that simply lie or even rewrite the information ( to his advantage) on car they bought at scrap auctions, rebuild and sell as " owned by a little old lady that used the car once a month to do groceries".

The ONLY true test is to take the car to YOUR TRUSTED mechanic and have him give you a complete report.
if the seller is not willing to let you take the car to YOUR guy. RUN RUN RUN don't walk, RUN.

Your mechanic will not only let you know everything about this car but also offer you a good idea if this car ages well and is NOT a REPAIR TRAP, this information comes from the years of experience that your mechanic has under his belt.

In fact, I would be very suspect of ANY sales guys that tries to offer Carfax as a kind of proof in order to close the sale. All used car sales guys know all about carfax and the utter lack of truth about many of the reports. An honest sales guy will tell you the truth about carfax type services, BUT a dishonest sales guys will NOT tell you, he will just shut-up about it and let you fall into that trap or even go as far as to offer carfax as PROOF of a great bargain.

Take the car to your mechanic, take the car to your mechanic, take the car to your mechanic.
Wow, that's interesting, I thought these reports were automated. Was always under the impression that carfax, or carproof etc had it set up so that any time an accident was claimed via insurance, or if the car was brought in for service to the dealer, that it gets registered in some common database.

So to confirm, every last line of info on these reports are volunteered by the owner??

I guess the best way, outside and including inspection, is to find out with whom the car was purchased, and simply call that dealer to see if there are any service records available.

Also, buying a car privately (when it is in fact a real ''old lady'') versus h-gregoire or autoprix is a way to confirm the sincerity of the driving history.

Old
06-05-2011, 09:35 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Another question that was probably responded already but I'll really like to know.....is going for a 4-wheel drive REALLY necessary? I mean nowadays, don't they have all those kinds of assistance in a 2-wheel drive that would make any SUV much safer than it was before? Is 2 000$ more really worth it since I don't live in the mountains where I have to go up a steep hill every day, where I don't really live in tough conditions....Yet, with the winter we have....or the rain we have....is a 4-wheel really important?

I hear that once you go 4-wheel...you never want to go back....but then is it that important to "go"? 'Cause then you read about cars/trucks who are "real" 4-wheels"...not so real....one worst than others etc....

Thanks.
In severe conditions, I would say it makes a difference... but that's not to say that not having it is insufficient.

It seems as though you are prepared to spend a bit more on gas with the v6... so what I suggest to you is make a strict budget limit, whether total selling price, or total monthly payment. And then narrow down from there

What you will arrive at essentially is deciding on (for the same money) an American car, with all the bells and whistles (v6, AWD, leather, Navigation etc..) versus a euro / Japanese one that is V4, FWD, and not as many bells and whistles.

Just remember, in the event you want to sell the car, 2,3 or more years from now, that American cars depreciate a lot more while foreign cars hold their value much better.

Old
06-05-2011, 12:56 PM
HomaridII

Quote:

Thanks.
Depends on your lifestyle as well eh ... if you go up north a lot or you go offroad a lot or you have a cabin or rent one etc.. then 4 wheel drive is absolutely necessary. For example I have a friend who has a cabin near St. Jerome, he has 4 wheel drive, I don't .. man it makes a HUGE difference let me tell you, specially in the winter.

As far as city driving or even highway driving, most cars you are looking for will be more than fine unless the conditions are really horrible and frankly, just drive carefully IMO, no need to spend the extra money for the vehicle with the real 4 wheel drive unless your lifestyle demands it.

Old
06-05-2011, 12:57 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
In severe conditions, I would say it makes a difference... but that's not to say that not having it is insufficient.

It seems as though you are prepared to spend a bit more on gas with the v6... so what I suggest to you is make a strict budget limit, whether total selling price, or total monthly payment. And then narrow down from there

What you will arrive at essentially is deciding on (for the same money) an American car, with all the bells and whistles (v6, AWD, leather, Navigation etc..) versus a euro / Japanese one that is V4, FWD, and not as many bells and whistles.

Just remember, in the event you want to sell the car, 2,3 or more years from now, that American cars depreciate a lot more while foreign cars hold their value much better.
Good point about the resale value. I agree with the Japanese vs American comparison .. you will get more bells and whistles and more customizable options in an American car

Old
06-05-2011, 09:25 PM
MasterD

Quote:

Thanks.
I drive a Toyota Matrix AWD, and my g/f drives, for now, a Protege 5, which is obviously front wheel drive. Of course, in summer it makes no difference at all except that mine drinks a bit more gas, but in winter it's absolutely night and day... I NEVER get stuck, even if I park in snowfilled streets around work and climb in some snowbanks because Montreal's employes suck at removing the snow effectively...

On the other hand, the Protege 5 stays "half stuck" as soon as there's 4-6 inches of snow, you have to go back-forth-back-forth for a while to get out of the parking space, you spin on every street corner, etc.

Also, we were shopping SUVs to replace the Protege 5 just this week, so we tried out the Equinox, the RAV 4, looked at the CRV (just too expensive when compared), the Rogue... in the end, we chose the Santa Fe (a 2007 AWD with all the bells and whistles for 17 000 taxes in). We found it was simply a more comfortable ride, it has the 3rd row seats which will come in handy when we start bringing our kids' friends left and right, it's cheaper that Honda/Toyota and you get more accessories, there's lots of room for cargo, and they give you a MUCH BETTER warranty!

For a 2007, most dealers will give you 1 month/3000km as all-included warranty, and you'll have a few months to a year of engine/transmission warranty. With hyunday, the bumper-to-bumper warranty is 5 years/100 000km, so we still get a year of all around warranty... peace of mind included!

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 10:10 PM
NORiculous

Quote:
Okay boys and girls, I have another freakin long automobile question. As you'll see....I'm totally undecided and find that there's way too many possibilities as far as those models are concerned.

I'd first like to say that those models are all in my price range, so need to put it in that order. All of these for new 2011 models. But after that, what's most important for me are:
  • Fuel economy
  • Space (trunk and rest of the car)
  • Family oriented
  • Techno oriented (great radio, mp3 oriented, bluetooth etc.)
  • Confortable
  • Trusted
  • Best overall car.
Put those models in order for me with maybe a little comment as far as who to NOT TAKE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE...and maybe who I should STRONGLY considerate. I need to come down to a list of 5-7. Can't visit dealers for 1 month in a row.

Here we go:
CHEVROLET TRAVERSE
CHEVROLET EQUINOX
DODGE JOURNEY
FORD EDGE
GMC TERRAIN
HONDA CR-V
HYUNDAI SANTA FE
HYUNDAI TUCSON
HYUNDAI VERACRUZ
KIA RONDO
KIA SORENTO
KIA SPORTAGE
MAZDA 5
MAZDA CX-7
MITSUBISHI OUTLANDER
NISSAN MURANO
NISSAN ROGUE
SUBARU FORESTER
SUBARU OUTBACK
TOYOTA RAV 4
TOYOTA VENZA
VOLKS TIGUAN

I know it's a lot....but I have the hardest time to decide right now.

Thanks.
I bolded my choices. You need to test drive them for sure but from the drives that I have done myself, these are the ones that I found that stood out; just personnal taste.

NORiculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 10:40 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiness time View Post
It's funny how this topic came up this morning...just bought a brand new accord last night...can't beat 0.9% financing!
Coupe, Crosstour or sedan?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 10:42 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
My brother has the terrain. I like it, but the lower model engine is very weak according to him.

Old
06-06-2011, 06:25 AM
Guiness time

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Coupe, Crosstour or sedan?
sedan

Guiness time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 10:37 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiness time View Post
sedan
I have the coupe, looking back, maybe the sedan is more practical.

Old
06-06-2011, 11:26 AM
RC51

Quote:
Wow, that's interesting, I thought these reports were automated. Was always under the impression that carfax, or carproof etc had it set up so that any time an accident was claimed via insurance, or if the car was brought in for service to the dealer, that it gets registered in some common database.

So to confirm, every last line of info on these reports are volunteered by the owner??

I guess the best way, outside and including inspection, is to find out with whom the car was purchased, and simply call that dealer to see if there are any service records available.

Also, buying a car privately (when it is in fact a real ''old lady'') versus h-gregoire or autoprix is a way to confirm the sincerity of the driving history.
first yes the information on ALL these carfax type services is suspect.
I saw a full issue on marketplace on CBC and also a huge expose on CBS 60 minutes last year. I saw the president of carfax dance his way through the entire interview and stating it's not carfax that lies it's the owners," we only report what they have told us"

just take the car to your mechanic not one they suggest, YOUR mechanic

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 11:46 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I saw a full issue on marketplace on CBC and also a huge expose on CBS 60 minutes last year. I saw the president of carfax dance his way through the entire interview and stating it's not carfax that lies it's the owners," we only report what they have told us"

Agreed, I never waste my time with these reports when purchasing a used vehicle. I have a mechanic that I've used for years who I highly trust. Not until he's had a chance to look over the vehicle and give his okay do I go ahead with the purchase.

06-06-2011, 11:52 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

Well that isn't quite the case with Carfax. The problem with Carfax was some missing information from auction records and insurance claims. It's not at all a system of voluntary information from owners, otherwise it would be valueless.

more information on this topic : http://www.carfax.com/about/data_sources.cfx

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORiculous View Post
I bolded my choices. You need to test drive them for sure but from the drives that I have done myself, these are the ones that I found that stood out; just personnal taste.
I would never go with a Volks due to reliability history.. that's just me tho,

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 03:55 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCareyPrice View Post
Well that isn't quite the case with Carfax. The problem with Carfax was some missing information from auction records and insurance claims. It's not at all a system of voluntary information from owners, otherwise it would be valueless.

more information on this topic : http://www.carfax.com/about/data_sources.cfx
for those too lazy

Quote:
CARFAX does not have the complete history of every vehicle. A CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX. Other information about the vehicle, including problems, may not have been reported to CARFAX. Use a Vehicle History Report as one important tool, along with a vehicle inspection and test drive, to make a better decision about a used car.

* Do CARFAX Vehicle History Reports have information about accidents?
Yes. If an accident has been reported to CARFAX it will be included in the CARFAX Vehicle History Report. CARFAX reports have information about accidents in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Canada. We guarantee we will have information about the most severe accidents, ones for which the states or provinces have issued a branded title. We also have the largest publicly accessible database of less severe accidents which we have compiled from thousands of sources.

However, we do not have all accidents as many have never been reported, or may only have been reported to a source to which CARFAX does not have access. We recommend that any car be inspected by a qualified mechanic prior to purchase to make sure the vehicle is functioning properly and check for signs of unreported damage.

* I know this vehicle has had an accident. Why isn't it listed on the CARFAX Report?
CARFAX compiles the CARFAX Vehicle History Report from information it receives from thousands of sources. As extensive as our database is, we do not have all accidents as many have never been reported, or may only have been reported to a source to which CARFAX does not have access.

If you know a vehicle was involved in an accident and it is not on the CARFAX Vehicle History Report, please take a minute to let us know about it by emailing us through the "Email CARFAX" tab above.

* Does CARFAX get total loss data from insurance companies?
Yes. Some insurance companies report total loss information to CARFAX.

CARFAX also uses other sources to determine if a vehicle was declared a total loss by an insurance company.

Old
06-06-2011, 04:02 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horton18Horton View Post
Agreed, I never waste my time with these reports when purchasing a used vehicle. I have a mechanic that I've used for years who I highly trust. Not until he's had a chance to look over the vehicle and give his okay do I go ahead with the purchase.
you probably should waste your time... There's nothing to lose with using these reports in conjunction with what your mechanic says.

Mechanic could say the car has never been in an accident, and the report could show otherwise.

I was shocked to read that it was only voluntary, but it doesn't make sense that it could only be voluntary...

More precisely, it's prone to missing accident info, but still useful nevertheless.

Old
06-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
you probably should waste your time... There's nothing to lose with using these reports in conjunction with what your mechanic says.

Mechanic could say the car has never been in an accident, and the report could show otherwise.

I was shocked to read that it was only voluntary, but it doesn't make sense that it could only be voluntary...

More precisely, it's prone to missing accident info, but still useful nevertheless.
Fair enough, but it's usually quite easy to tell if a car has been in a prior accident. My mechanic for example, looks at the under body and frame of the car, as well as the exterior.

I also have a mechanic that my family has dealt with for over 20 years. For those who don't have someone so trust worthy, then yes, I'd say get the report.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 09:39 AM
habfan1968

We have been driving the Lexus RX 350 and it is very nice, good drive, good accel, not to bad on gas. Comfortable and not too much money.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote