HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Jagr interested to play in Montreal pt2

Closed Thread

Old
06-06-2011, 11:33 AM
neofury*

vCash: 500
I don't see why people think Jagr is such a big risk. I can't see him putting up less than 40 points even on our defensive team and frankly if it's 2-2.5 million for a 40 point guy with size who could potentially be much better, Gauthier would have to be a moron not to sign him.

Is Jagr a stop gap? Possibly yes possibly no. Was he in the plan already? No. But when opportunities like this present themselves you'd have to be an idiot not to at least look into it. Laich is great but who knows who might be available in 1-2 years. I like Laich but I'd rather not overpay him and be tied down to him when we could find some real talent 1-2 years down the line. So if Jagr can be that stop gap to finding a better player than Laich I'd roll the dice.

Plus I expect Laich to be signed before July 1st.

Old
06-06-2011, 11:36 AM
DAChampion

To argue that Jaromir Jagr is older and that he won't be able to adjust is to argue that he won't match his prior performance of 36.33 goals and 90 points that he averaged in his last three seasons with the Rangers, 2005-06 -> 2007-08.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarom%C...eer_statistics

OK then, let's sign him assuming he might give us 25-30 goals and 65-80 points.

We should also keep in mind that we're a better team than the Rangers of that period were. Plekanec > Straka and Cammalleri > Nylander. Jagr won't be the only shutdown target of opposing coaches, and we have excellent PP quarterbacks in Subban and potentially Markov.

Old
06-06-2011, 11:45 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
To argue that Jaromir Jagr is older and that he won't be able to adjust is to argue that he won't match his prior performance of 36.33 goals and 90 points that he averaged in his last three seasons with the Rangers, 2005-06 -> 2007-08.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarom%C...eer_statistics

OK then, let's sign him assuming he might give us 25-30 goals and 65-80 points.

We should also keep in mind that we're a better team than the Rangers of that period were. Plekanec > Straka and Cammalleri > Nylander. Jagr won't be the only shutdown target of opposing coaches, and we have excellent PP quarterbacks in Subban and potentially Markov.
Very well thought post.

Jagr was the main offensive threat in New York and everything ran through him and it became obvious, you shut down Jagr and you shut down the Rangers offense. So opposing teams used to use all their defensive resources to slow Jagr down, despite all that he was above a PPG the time he was with New York and in the middle os time with them he played with a reconstructed shoulder and also lost his centerman in Nylander and never had a full time center in 2007-08.

Jagr and Plekanec showed that they have chemistry together and that alone will help Jagr's mental game.

As long as Jagr trains hard and stays in shape, he will be good enough for top 15 in scoring and better.

Quote:
“The game has changed; it’s so much about practicing,” said Jagr, who began his N.H.L. career with the Penguins in 1990. “I don’t think age matters much if you’re willing to practice, plus you have more experience. My advantage is that I don’t think my game was about speed. When you’re older, you’re losing the speed, but my game was never about the speed.”

Old
06-06-2011, 12:09 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
Jagr as a 34, 35, 36 was better than Selanne as a 34, 35, 36 year old but for some odd reason Jagr as a 39, 40 year old won't be better than Selanne as a 39, 40 year old?

Jagr might not be as fast as he once was but Jagr hasn't had that much speed in the NHL since he left Pittsburgh.

What people forget to realize is that when Jagr scored 123 Pts in 2005-06, he was 245 lbs and not once scored on a breakaway.

Jagr is now 225 lbs and is trimmer and faster than he was in New York.

Of course catches up with everyone but this is Jagr we're talking about.

His fitness level was legendary and has been working his butt of in Russia over the last 3 seasons to stay in top shape.

As yourselves this, if Jagr were to just come and play and get nothing but 40-50 Pts and play 16 minutes, do you honestly think he would do that.

We all know the KHL offers him more money so obviously money is not the motivation here.

Montreal is a hockey meca, Jagr has a lot of pride and knows his place in history and has studied the history of the game and got to play with one of the greatest players of all time in Lemieux. He saw Lemieux sit out for 3 years and then come back at age 36 to scored 76 Pts in 43 games.

Obviously Jagr is not 36 years old now, he's 39 but he has been playing hockey still and has the legs still. It's not like he sat on his butt the last 3 years and grew a belly.

Plekanec is not a top 10 centermen no, but he is just the type of player Jagr would be best fit playing with.

Nylander was a decent player who could give you 20-25 goals and 75 Pts and with him, Jagr was dynamite.

Plekanec is similar to Nylander and Straka were he's a very smart, good playmaker, capable of scoring 25 goals and can play sound in his own end. This would allow Jagr to do his thing.

I will get laughed and all but I truly believe in my mind and heart that Jagr is still capable of 70-90 Pts in the NHL now.
I agree with you, some forget Jagr isn't some ordinary pretty good top 6 winger, he was the best player the NHL has seen since Mario. He would be our leading scorer quite easily imo.

Old
06-06-2011, 12:18 PM
habsrule22

if Jagr was to be signed , it would be for 1 year at lest than 3m. It would give us the chance to really stock up the defense.

Old
06-06-2011, 12:28 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I agree with you, some forget Jagr isn't some ordinary pretty good top 6 winger, he was the best player the NHL has seen since Mario. He would be our leading scorer quite easily imo.
Hey is it just me or is this one of the first things we actually agree on?

I guess we're both big time fans of Jagr and realize what a cheap Jagr can do for our team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
if Jagr was to be signed , it would be for 1 year at lest than 3m. It would give us the chance to really stock up the defense.
Exactly and the Laich people aren't even considering the fact that Jagr could potentially put up more than Laich, cost us 2-4 million less than what Laich wants or will get as a UFA, and they don't even take into account how much depth Jagr would add to our squad not just by being there but by freeing up money we would have needed to use on a guy like Laich in his prime.

Then a couple years down the road if Jagr leaves or retires there will be UFA's available then too. (Or even guys like Pouliot, Max, Eller start producing and playing a big mans game and you don't need a UFA anymore) We don't have to jump all over Brooks Laich and overpay him just because he's the only guy available who fits the bill right now. I'd rather a stop gap like Jagr who is cheap and adds depth then an overpaid Laich. If we could get Laich for a fair price it would be ideal but I have my doubts.

With Jagr you not only buy time but you gain a tremendous amount of potential. The guy is a winner plain and simple. More Stanley Cup rings in the room can't hurt either!

Old
06-06-2011, 12:31 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Hey is it just me or is this one of the first things we actually agree on?

I guess we're both big time fans of Jagr and what a cheap Jagr can do for our team.
I don't know how anyone can say no to Jagr, especially if the rumors of salary are correct. I

f he can't do it, Jagr will bow out gracefully. He's not gonna play as a 20-30pt player. lol. So what, we lose 2m of our cap. Yippeee. If Markov plays the whole year we won't even notice.

Old
06-07-2011, 08:39 AM
ymorin007*

Send a message via MSN to ymorin007*
From a french article just posted yesterday about Jagr and his future.
Quote:
Meanwhile, Jagr does not hesitate to tell the left and right that he would continue his career on this side of the Atlantic.

His agent for Europe, Jaroslav Zidek, told last week that the Canadian is interested in acquiring the services of his client.

Then, in an interview with our colleague Karel Knap, the Czech daily Dnes , Jagr has confirmed his interest to come and play for CH with his new friend Tomas Plekanec.

Both men have rain or shine at the last World Championship in Bratislava, when they combined their efforts to lead the Czech Republic to conquer the bronze medal. They have since spent much time together.

"I met with Jaromir International Tennis Championships in France at Roland Garros, told us Knap, and he said he would love to live the experience of playing in Canada, especially in Montreal because of the winning tradition team and atmosphere found in the city. "

Old
06-07-2011, 08:41 AM
HABSINCE76

Quote:
Jagr as a 34, 35, 36 was better than Selanne as a 34, 35, 36 year old but for some odd reason Jagr as a 39, 40 year old won't be better than Selanne as a 39, 40 year old?

Jagr might not be as fast as he once was but Jagr hasn't had that much speed in the NHL since he left Pittsburgh.

What people forget to realize is that when Jagr scored 123 Pts in 2005-06, he was 245 lbs and not once scored on a breakaway.

Jagr is now 225 lbs and is trimmer and faster than he was in New York.

Of course catches up with everyone but this is Jagr we're talking about.

His fitness level was legendary and has been working his butt of in Russia over the last 3 seasons to stay in top shape.

As yourselves this, if Jagr were to just come and play and get nothing but 40-50 Pts and play 16 minutes, do you honestly think he would do that.

We all know the KHL offers him more money so obviously money is not the motivation here.

Montreal is a hockey meca, Jagr has a lot of pride and knows his place in history and has studied the history of the game and got to play with one of the greatest players of all time in Lemieux. He saw Lemieux sit out for 3 years and then come back at age 36 to scored 76 Pts in 43 games.

Obviously Jagr is not 36 years old now, he's 39 but he has been playing hockey still and has the legs still. It's not like he sat on his butt the last 3 years and grew a belly.

Plekanec is not a top 10 centermen no, but he is just the type of player Jagr would be best fit playing with.

Nylander was a decent player who could give you 20-25 goals and 75 Pts and with him, Jagr was dynamite.

Plekanec is similar to Nylander and Straka were he's a very smart, good playmaker, capable of scoring 25 goals and can play sound in his own end. This would allow Jagr to do his thing.

I will get laughed and all but I truly believe in my mind and heart that Jagr is still capable of 70-90 Pts in the NHL now.
Great post my friend.....my thoughts exactly you know your hockey....common Jagr finish your career with the Canadiens it will be magical!

Old
06-07-2011, 08:43 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABSINCE76 View Post
Great post my friend.....my thoughts exactly you know your hockey....common Jagr finish your career with the Canadiens it will be magical!
If we won a cup with Jagr I honestly think the city would go nuts. Heck even if we came close

I think Jagr would likely be a high seller in the jersey department too. They could probably make a deal with him on the side where he makes dough off of endorsements.

Old
06-07-2011, 09:18 AM
livewell68

Quote:
If we won a cup with Jagr I honestly think the city would go nuts. Heck even if we came close

I think Jagr would likely be a high seller in the jersey department too. They could probably make a deal with him on the side where he makes dough off of endorsements.
I think Jagr has nothing left to prove but he feels he might have a Cup win left in him.

I'm extremely optimistic I guess but for some reason I get this feeling that Jagr would have a better season than Kovalev had a few years ago in Montreal.

We all remember how popular Kovalev was in Montreal when he 84 Pts.

I see Jagr getting about 35 goals, 60 assists and 95 Pts. No joke!!!

Old
06-07-2011, 09:25 AM
ymorin007*

Quote:
I think Jagr has nothing left to prove but he feels he might have a Cup win left in him.

I'm extremely optimistic I guess but for some reason I get this feeling that Jagr would have a better season than Kovalev had a few years ago in Montreal.

We all remember how popular Kovalev was in Montreal when he 84 Pts.

I see Jagr getting about 35 goals, 60 assists and 95 Pts. No joke!!!
I loved Kovalev even if he was not giving his all each game but when he did it was spectacular and I miss that in MTL because for me as a fan (and by no means a expert of the game) I just want to see a great show and I'm not into the tactic of the game. I'm just watching for the entertainment value and I think I'm not the only one also.

Old
06-07-2011, 09:52 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymorin007 View Post
I loved Kovalev even if he was not giving his all each game but when he did it was spectacular and I miss that in MTL because for me as a fan (and by no means a expert of the game) I just want to see a great show and I'm not into the tactic of the game. I'm just watching for the entertainment value and I think I'm not the only one also.
Jagr is just as much a showman and the difference is Jagr will also play in the rough situations and is just a better all-around player than Kovalev was.

I think at 39 years old Jagr is capable of being than Kovalev in 2007-08.

Old
06-07-2011, 09:53 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Jagr is just as much a showman and the difference is Jagr will also play in the rough situations and is just a better all-around player than Kovalev was.

I meant to say is capable of being "better" than Kovalev in 2007-08.

Old
06-07-2011, 09:54 AM
BLONG7

Quote:

I agree, it just seems 2.0M seems to low for him to come over?

Old
06-07-2011, 09:58 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
I agree, it just seems 2.0M seems to low for him to come over?
Maybe he knows teams are skeptical of him because of his age and because they haven't seen him in the NHL for the last 3 seasons that they think he's not worth more than that.

Maybe Jagr recognizes that and because he has that fire left in him that he will take that money just to prove how good he is and how much he has left in the tank.

2 million has been metioned both from the Montreal camp and the Jagr camp.

It's not money the motivator, it's Jagr's place in history that is motivating him.

I think he pushes himself to try and get 700 goals and 1800 Pts before he retires.

Old
06-07-2011, 10:04 AM
ymorin007*

Quote:
it's Jagr's place in history that is motivating him.
I also believe its the main motivation for him to come back where history will be made ... MTL :-)

Old
06-07-2011, 10:06 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Maybe he knows teams are skeptical of him because of his age and because they haven't seen him in the NHL for the last 3 seasons that they think he's not worth more than that.

Maybe Jagr recognizes that and because he has that fire left in him that he will take that money just to prove how good he is and how much he has left in the tank.

2 million has been metioned both from the Montreal camp and the Jagr camp.

It's not money the motivator, it's Jagr's place in history that is motivating him.

I think he pushes himself to try and get 700 goals and 1800 Pts before he retires.
He's 201 pts away from 1800, I hope him to get there, but I'm not very optimistic that he reaches it.

Old
06-07-2011, 10:07 AM
neofury*

Jagr might feel where other than Montreal to play and prove he's worth the 5 million dollar price tag. Signs for 2 million 1 year in order to prove to the NHL world he's still an NHLer. Does well here, uses his stats and solid play to backup his next contract either with us or another team.

Millions of dollars for Jagr is bordering on chump change. He's probably made similar money to his contracts via endorsements. The difference between 2 and 5 million for Jagr probably isn't crazy. I think he'll be willing to sign for 3-3.5 realistically though. We'll need to wait and see. I believe he wants to play with Plek if only for one year to see how they do and see what playing in Montreal is all about.

Also who knows, maybe Plek told him that if he takes 1 year at a discount he'll have a chance to make history and win the cup. Anyone doubting what a 2 million dollar Jagr can do for our team is just silly. It effectively puts us into the mix with Philly, Boston, Pittsburgh, Washington as one of the most dominant teams in the East. (This is assuming Gauthier isn't a moron and uses the money he saves in order to stack the team, Jagr at 2 million means that instead of getting one top six forward this off season we could potentially sign two! Does anyone realize the kind of depth that will give our team?)

Old
06-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Jaromir Jagr is not playing for the Habs for $2mil.

I'd love to eat my words, but come on.

Old
06-07-2011, 10:18 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Le Tigre View Post
Jaromir Jagr is not playing for the Habs for $2mil.

I'd love to eat my words, but come on.
Jagr has made about 100 million in the NHL. Has made another 30 million playing in Russia.

2 million is pocket change. As neofury mentioned above, Jagr is looking to make history with his accolades and accomplishments.

Not sure why everyone seems to think Jagr is about the money. He has that already, he just wants more recognition when it comes to assessing him in the top 10 best players of all time.

What better place than Montreal. An original six team, one of the most storied franchises in all of sports, a team that had guys like Lafleur, Beliveau, Richard dawn their jersey.

Jagr is a student of the game and wants to retire with a great impact, he doesn't want to fade into obscurity.

Old
06-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:

The city would go nuts if they came close to the finals with some Slovak goalie, let alone one of the best players of all time

Old
06-07-2011, 10:25 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
He's 201 pts away from 1800, I hope him to get there, but I'm not very optimistic that he reaches it.
I can understand your point but this;

Jagr played 246 games in the regular season plus many playoffs games in his last 3 years. He's in great shape and unless injuries get to him, he will be good for an average of 75 games a year if he chooses to play for another 2-3 years.

He can average about 80 Pts a game with 30 goals, that would put him at about 740 goals and 1840 Pts.

I can see him doing that.

Old
06-07-2011, 10:27 AM
HomaridII

Seriously .. what is PG waiting for? The guy is clearly interested, he has been dinamite with Pleky the past few years everytime they play together, he is one of the best players of all time ... lets do it already PG.

Jagr will easily achieve 25 goals and 65-70 pts with Pleky IMO and that would already make him our best winger .. why are some people doubting this?

Old
06-07-2011, 10:31 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
The city would go nuts if they came close to the finals with some Slovak goalie, let alone one of the best players of all time
Yeah obviously assuming Jagr is playing the way we know he can. That obviously remains to be seen but I'm confident in Jagr's skills whether he comes here or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Seriously .. what is PG waiting for? The guy is clearly interested, he has been dinamite with Pleky the past few years everytime they play together, he is one of the best players of all time ... lets do it already PG.

Jagr will easily achieve 25 goals and 65-70 pts with Pleky IMO and that would already make him our best winger .. why are some people doubting this?
Your guess is as good as mine but if I had to take a few guesses:

1) Euro
2) A lot of people think he's some kind of money grubber (gambling etc)
3) He hasn't played in the NHL in 3 years.

I'd assume most people it's #3.

Closed Thread