HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

June 24th. Entry Draft Picks: 25, 29, 39, 85, 99, 129, 151, 159, 172, 189, 202.

Closed Thread

Old
06-06-2011, 01:17 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold Steady View Post
Yep, it's realistic to say that the next Skinner type prospect has to get picked at the exact same spot.

You won't be able to get that kind of pick any other spot than #7...

No one suggested we should try to use the two firsts to get into the top 10. What they suggested was that if the Leafs scouts think they can find an undervalued player, like Skinner was last year, that moving up into the middle of the first round would be smart.

But, FreeBird/PapaLeaf is just up to his normal trolling and trying to drive people crazy.
Your talking Fantasy, I'm talking reality, just because you want some thing to happen doesn't mean it will, the Leafs can't add players along with picks, their depth just won't allow it. What player in this draft would become an instant impact player for the Leafs, and would make them a Stanley Cup Contender, not just a potential Playoff team but a Cup contender. Lots of teams make the playoffs and then are not heard from again for 5 or 6 years. If your wishes are to make the playoffs and still be done in April then your expectations are very shallow indeed.

Old
06-06-2011, 01:52 PM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Mika Zibanejad made Bobby Mac's updated top 10, getting a lot of rave reviews according to the draft guru.

Old
06-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High View Post
He was referring to Puempel, your assessment is of McNeill.
I believe he edited his post. Either case if you follow each post previous to that, you'll see they were talking about McNeill.

Last edited by Sonny21: 06-06-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old
06-06-2011, 02:03 PM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Duncan Siemens rounded out the top 10 according to Bobby Mac, leaving a lot of good hockey talent on the board, Leafs will have 2 players in the next 19 players to select from, it's going to be interesting, many good possibilities when you look at the list of remaining players.

Old
06-06-2011, 02:04 PM
leafers

Mark McNeill sounds exactly like the type of player Burke should target (realistically).

Here is a scouting report on him from mynhldraft.com

Mark McNeill possesses hockey sense and skill that cannot be taught. Both intelligent and creative, he stands head and shoulders above most of the Raiders forwards and won numerous accolades for his play as a 17-year old this past season with the Prince Albert Raiders of the WHL. McNeill makes plays out of almost nothing and sees the ice and developing play as well as anyone in the WHL.

He is at his most dangerous in close quarters to the opposing goaltender using his strength and quick hands to put points in the net. He does not look to always carry the puck himself but instead uses his on ice ability to see the play developing to see the best possible pass to move the puck quickly. He takes the team game to a higher level with the raiders, as the many Raiders Fan Zone polls can attest to. A strong physical and a strong skater definitely rates him high in the upcoming draft as a centre with size and skill, and most teams looking for that rare combination.

While his offensive abilities are exceptional, McNeill can also play both sides of the ice; he finishes his checks cleanly and is not a liability in his own zone as he receives significant time on the penalty kill and is used to set up the power-play. He relishes any role asked of him from winning many of the key face-offs or shutting down top lines of the opposition (a role put on him and his line mates recently VS Saskatoon in the 2011 WHL playoffs, which enabled the Raiders to take the series to 6 games instead of the 4 game sweep many were talking about.)

He is a Strong kid at 62 and 210 lbs he will definitely be able to take and give the physical play as he makes the move to the next level. Teams definitely should be taking a good look at this talented hockey player who will most likely have a long career at a high level of play.

Center
Skilled
Size and uses it

Old
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTime View Post
Mark McNeill compilation. Drool.

I likey...

Old
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post
I believe he edited his post. Anyways...
McNeill was never injured during the course of the regular season, which leads me to believe he was referring to Puempel. Must have been a mistake on his part.

Old
06-06-2011, 02:07 PM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Equal Time for Tyler Biggs. Another Burkie player?

Last edited by The Mentalist: 06-06-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old
06-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High View Post
McNeill was never injured during the course of the regular season, which leads me to believe he was referring to Puempel. Must have been a mistake on his part.
Just follow the post he was replying and etc, they were talking about McNeill.

But yes, the injury part is related to Puempel. I guess he thought they were talking about Puempel, where in fact it was McNeill.

Makes sense now.

Old
06-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

It seems every single day, the player I want the most to trade up to draft changes lol.

I just want the Stanley cup be over with, so we can start getting draft rumours and what not.

Old
06-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Tonka
8.5%?

That is a lot of draft picks, we better get a good player out of all this.

Zetterberg and Datsyuk

Old
06-06-2011, 02:29 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

For those wondering, Mark McNeill was one of the most powerful players at the combine in terms of raw strength. His leg power was top notch and the only player that came close to him in the push/pull exercise was the 6 foot 7, 244 pound Oleksiak.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=368049

His ceiling is that of a power 2nd line center and that is why he is not projected to go top 10. I think McNeill will be the steal of this draft for prospects taken from 10-20 and Strome will be the steal from prospects taken from 1-10.

Last edited by thebluemachine*: 06-06-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old
06-06-2011, 02:49 PM
TruthDeliveryVehicle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
Your talking Fantasy, I'm talking reality, just because you want some thing to happen doesn't mean it will, the Leafs can't add players along with picks, their depth just won't allow it. What player in this draft would become an instant impact player for the Leafs, and would make them a Stanley Cup Contender, not just a potential Playoff team but a Cup contender. Lots of teams make the playoffs and then are not heard from again for 5 or 6 years. If your wishes are to make the playoffs and still be done in April then your expectations are very shallow indeed.
What in the **** are you talking about?

Because I'm talking about Leafs scouts seeing an opportunity to get a great player that goes through the top 10. I'm not saying it will happen, but if they see a player they are really high on falling to the 15-20 range, it's a good opportunity to move up.

What the hell does that have to do with Leafs depth, or being a Stanley Cup contender or losing in the first round? I never said anything like that. You just made that stuff up.

You need to check your meds, buddy. Your brain is off it's leash.

Old
06-06-2011, 02:59 PM
javier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold Steady View Post
What in the **** are you talking about?

Because I'm talking about Leafs scouts seeing an opportunity to get a great player that goes through the top 10. I'm not saying it will happen, but if they see a player they are really high on falling to the 15-20 range, it's a good opportunity to move up.

What the hell does that have to do with Leafs depth, or being a Stanley Cup contender or losing in the first round? I never said anything like that. You just made that stuff up.

You need to check your meds, buddy. Your brain is off it's leash.
Dude do you know who you're talking to? If you went back and read the last 1,000 posts this guy made here, all 1,000 of them are negative. Why even bother?

Old
06-06-2011, 03:01 PM
Leafed

Combine results are tricky things to analyze. Sure McNeill had a great combine but he's also 6.02" and 210 lbs. He's likely reached his peak physically. When you compare it to other physical maturity levels at the combine it makes me wonder if his stats reflect his physical edge over other players in the Dub.

What intrigues me more is a guy like Mark Sheifele, listed at 6.03' and 175 lbs. An inch taller than McNeill and almost 40 lbs lighter. While playing at his awkward lanky stature he put up similar numbers to McNeill, albeit in a different league.

If he has the drive in him to properly put on the right weight he could project to be a more dominating player once he fills out.

Like Burke or whomever said, the Combine results don't matter much. What they can gage at the event is a player's compete level; how far is he willing to go to improve. Burke said something along the lines of how they value a player who after the Wingate pukes rather than one who gets off and looks like he's still got more to give.

Old
06-06-2011, 03:10 PM
TMLife
#teambernier

I dont think we will be getting mcneill unless we can trade up to before calgary picks.

Old
06-06-2011, 03:17 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Luke View Post
Combine results are tricky things to analyze. Sure McNeill had a great combine but he's also 6.02" and 210 lbs. He's likely reached his peak physically. When you compare it to other physical maturity levels at the combine it makes me wonder if his stats reflect his physical edge over other players in the Dub.

What intrigues me more is a guy like Mark Sheifele, listed at 6.03' and 175 lbs. An inch taller than McNeill and almost 40 lbs lighter. While playing at his awkward lanky stature he put up similar numbers to McNeill, albeit in a different league.

If he has the drive in him to properly put on the right weight he could project to be a more dominating player once he fills out.

Like Burke or whomever said, the Combine results don't matter much. What they can gage at the event is a player's compete level; how far is he willing to go to improve. Burke said something along the lines of how they value a player who after the Wingate pukes rather than one who gets off and looks like he's still got more to give.
I really doubt McNeill has peaked physically, we are talking about an 18 year old kid. The many scouting reports I have read on him have all been similar and question two things primarily.

1. His consistency.
2. Has he been a standout because he matured faster then the rest.

Old
06-06-2011, 03:18 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusForever View Post
I dont think we will be getting mcneill unless we can trade up to before calgary picks.
I think that is who we will be trading with to get McNeill.

Old
06-06-2011, 03:26 PM
Leafssss

Ryan Strome or Bust.

Old
06-06-2011, 03:28 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafssss View Post
Ryan Strome or Bust.
I think Ryan Strome is a bust. TBH.

He's the one FWD in the consensus top 10 that I would pass on. He's soft and I really don't like his game.

Old
06-06-2011, 03:38 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
I think Ryan Strome is a bust. TBH.

He's the one FWD in the consensus top 10 that I would pass on. He's soft and I really don't like his game.
I've never seen Strome play, but from all the scouting reports I've read, scouts have said exactly the opposite. His analysis, aside from his strong skating and playmaking abilities, are that he drives the net and battles in front that leads to him getting rebounds and loose pucks in front. The Niagara coach gives Strome a more favorable review on his grittiness by saying he initiates contact to make plays and plays in those traffic areas and wins battles.

But maybe you know something the scouts don't.

Old
06-06-2011, 03:40 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:

I believe Schenn was 6'2", 214lbs when we drafted him. He's now over 230lbs.

The good thing about a player that has an NHL body, is that he is a few years ahead of his peers in terms of development. He can immediately concentrate on honing his skills and finishing his muscular development. He may be ready sooner to take on the #3C spot, and grow from there. Much like J. Staal.

I personally think we need more prospects with great size/grit in our cupboards. Especially our top 6.

Old
06-06-2011, 04:29 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:

This is kinda what I'm thinking. McNeill seems like a great player, but he has such a big physical edge right now in juniors that someone like Scheifele doesn't, yet the two put up similar numbers throughout the season.

As Scheifele fills out in the next few years, I too think he could be a dominating presence. He certainly has impressed me more than McNeill has. Obviously I haven't seen a ton of either player, but from my views, and what I've read, I think I would rather have Scheifele than McNeill.

Anyone else have thinking along those lines? It seems like there are a ton of McNeill fans here.

Old
06-06-2011, 04:38 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Tough call, they are both very different players. Let's just draft both.

Old
06-06-2011, 04:55 PM
Crispy Crust

If we want Matt Puempel I think the one team we need to jump in front of is Pittsburgh at 23. That team seems like a good fit for Puempel.

Closed Thread