05-27-2011, 02:17 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

vCash: 500
Craig Hartsburg and Jamie Pringle Added to Coaching Staff

As per Bob McKenzie:

http://twitter.com/#!/TSNBobMcKenzie

Quote:
Lots of talk out there that Craig Hartsburg will be leaving Everett of WHL to return to NHL bench, likely alongside Brent Sutter in CGY.

Last edited by StreakingRed: 06-06-2011 at 12:39 PM.
StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 02:41 PM
DBU
Gotta Go Fast

vCash: 50
I'd be fine with this.

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 03:03 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Would be great if it was true, Hartsburg is a good coach. I'd like it!

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 07:44 PM
BearChi

More from McKenzie:
Quote:
Good candidate for CGY asst GM job would be local CGY boy Ryan Jankowski, former NYI asst GM/scout, now scouting for MTL in the West.
Jankowski ran the Islanders drafts from 2006-2010
his record
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/t...r00007085.html

BearChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 09:29 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bork View Post
More from McKenzie:

Jankowski ran the Islanders drafts from 2006-2010
his record
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/t...r00007085.html
Wow he had some decent drafts with the isles. Wouldnt mind the move.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 10:51 AM
Janko Unchained
Flames CBA Guy

vCash: 240
I agree, he did a nice job with the Islanders there and I wouldn't mind seeing him joining the organization. Not one bit.

Janko Unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 11:01 AM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Go get em Feaster!

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

Hartsburg really wasn't that good in Ottawa....

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 12:46 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Headcoach not the same as assistant coach

Old
06-02-2011, 02:06 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

As a Sens fan, representative of the last time Hartsburg coached in the NHL, you guys have my heartfelt condolences.

Tough 48 hrs in Calgary, to be sure. I'm pulling for you guys to make the playoffs and beyond next year! Hopefully it works itself out!

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 03:03 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
As a Sens fan, representative of the last time Hartsburg coached in the NHL, you guys have my heartfelt condolences.

Tough 48 hrs in Calgary, to be sure. I'm pulling for you guys to make the playoffs and beyond next year! Hopefully it works itself out!
What was your opinion of Hartsburg if you don't mind me asking?

And thanks, the Sens are definitely one of my other favorite Canadian teams to cheer for.

Old
06-02-2011, 04:51 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
What was your opinion of Hartsburg if you don't mind me asking?
Hmm.. let me think for a second here, it's been a while...

He's an OK coach when the team is winning and everything is running well, but he's BRUTAL when the team is losing. Publicly calls out players in the media all the time, which works occasionally, but he does it all the time. He rarely if ever has good things to say about his team, even after a win. He's a disciplinarian, but not a very good one, he just pissed everyone in the organization off. He is the DOMINANT presence in the dressing room, veterans be damned. In fact, he'll call out the vets in the media one day, but then give them 27 minutes of icetime the next, creating no accountability whatsoever.

Hartsburg will get a lot out of a YOUNG team that he can bully, but even then, only for a while. Vets tuned him out pretty damned quickly here.

He won't ever change strategy mid-game, or here it seemed even mid season, when it was clear stuff wasn't working. Runs the same play over and over again even when it proves to fail. He is stubborn to a fault. It's VERY easy to find yourself in his dog house, but his bite is never as bad as his bark.

He is basically a GREAT junior coach, because he can scare the kids into submission and be **** of the walk, and by the time his star players are sick of him they're drafted and out of junior, so there's always a new, young kid to replace him with. He's ideally suited to coach Major Junior, and has a lot of success because of his style... it just doesn't translate to PRO players very well.

To be blunt, he was the worst coach out of our "Fired Trio" of Hartsburg, Paddock and Clouston. Which I think says a lot.

Anyways, That was as a head coach. And that's just one fan's opinion, but I know a lot of what I think was echoed by a lot of other Sens fans.

Maybe he'll be different as an assistant, when he's not the alpha-dog? Or maybe he's just learned since Ottawa? Regardless, I hope he does well for Calgary.

Old
06-02-2011, 05:01 PM
The Gnome

Quote:

He's an OK coach when the team is winning and everything is running well, but he's BRUTAL when the team is losing. Publicly calls out players in the media all the time, which works occasionally, but he does it all the time. He rarely if ever has good things to say about his team, even after a win. He's a disciplinarian, but not a very good one, he just pissed everyone in the organization off. He is the DOMINANT presence in the dressing room, veterans be damned. In fact, he'll call out the vets in the media one day, but then give them 27 minutes of icetime the next, creating no accountability whatsoever.

Hartsburg will get a lot out of a YOUNG team that he can bully, but even then, only for a while. Vets tuned him out pretty damned quickly here.

He won't ever change strategy mid-game, or here it seemed even mid season, when it was clear stuff wasn't working. Runs the same play over and over again even when it proves to fail. He is stubborn to a fault. It's VERY easy to find yourself in his dog house, but his bite is never as bad as his bark.

He is basically a GREAT junior coach, because he can scare the kids into submission and be **** of the walk, and by the time his star players are sick of him they're drafted and out of junior, so there's always a new, young kid to replace him with. He's ideally suited to coach Major Junior, and has a lot of success because of his style... it just doesn't translate to PRO players very well.

To be blunt, he was the worst coach out of our "Fired Trio" of Hartsburg, Paddock and Clouston. Which I think says a lot.

Anyways, That was as a head coach. And that's just one fan's opinion, but I know a lot of what I think was echoed by a lot of other Sens fans.

Maybe he'll be different as an assistant, when he's not the alpha-dog? Or maybe he's just learned since Ottawa? Regardless, I hope he does well for Calgary.
I'm a Sens fan second to only Calgary (I know, could this year get any worse?!).

The bolded is exactly what I am worried about with Harts. That is the last thing this team needs right now. Sutter already has these same issues. I don't like the looks of this, especially when we have a bunch of underachieving vets on our team. This is a disaster waiting to happen...But you gotta give it a chance I guess.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 08:41 PM
Backlund

Quote:

I imagine if we did hire him it wouldn't be the same because he would be an assistant. It might work, but then again it might not. I think it could be a good experiment but this team does not always have the best luck.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 09:52 PM
GoFlames

Quote:

The bolded part is a ****ing dream for this team of entitled extra comfortable veterans! About time.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 12:05 PM
langcam

Hartsy is a solid coach, ottawa fans rag on him wayyyyyy to much. There were so many things to blame for his poor showing in the capital. He is smart, dedicated and should fit well into an assistant coaches role. Take all of the ottawa criticism with a grain of salt.

langcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 03:35 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

I'm not the least bit concerned with Hartsburg as an AC because of his coaching stint in Ottawa.

Old
06-04-2011, 04:06 PM
saillias

His coaching experience and accomplishments are more or less on par with Ryan McGill. These assistant coach swaps don't make much of a difference.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 10:33 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by langcam View Post
Hartsy is a solid coach, ottawa fans rag on him wayyyyyy to much. There were so many things to blame for his poor showing in the capital. He is smart, dedicated and should fit well into an assistant coaches role. Take all of the ottawa criticism with a grain of salt.
What about all of the Chicago criticism, where a very good team went to crap on his watch? He took a 40-28-14 team, and by the time he was let go 3 years later they didn't even make the playoffs.

And what about all the Anaheim criticism? He had a 94-108-8 record there in 3 seasons. Missed the playoffs in 2 of 3 years.

And then the Ottawa debacle.

He is just NOT a good NHL coach. Great junior coach. Does not translate well to the pros.

Old
06-05-2011, 04:44 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
What about all of the Chicago criticism, where a very good team went to crap on his watch? He took a 40-28-14 team, and by the time he was let go 3 years later they didn't even make the playoffs.

And what about all the Anaheim criticism? He had a 94-108-8 record there in 3 seasons. Missed the playoffs in 2 of 3 years.

And then the Ottawa debacle.

He is just NOT a good NHL coach. Great junior coach. Does not translate well to the pros.
About Chicago to make a rounded point it would be helpfull to list the roster changes before and after... I think that should say enough. GM's make rosters and coaches have to live with them.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 12:16 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=564951

Old
06-06-2011, 12:41 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Official now:

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=564951

Quote:
The Calgary Flames announced today that Craig Hartsburg has been named associate coach while Jamie Pringle has been added as the senior video analyst.

Old
06-06-2011, 03:17 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Thanks for the feedback from the Sens fans!

Despite them I am still however happy about this move. Brent picked this guy because he thinks he fits style and philosophy of coaching. They both have had success coaching Canada's World Junior team, they are good with young players, and they both demand results. I would not want Hartsburg to be our head coach, but I think it should work well with him as an assistant because it is Brent's team, Brent will be the one addressing the media, and Brent will pull in the reigns if it is needed at some point.

Old
06-06-2011, 05:17 PM
tfong

His NHL coaching record kinda scares me.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote