HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire) *SPOILERS*

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

vCash: 500
Wild guess...under the tutelage of Zombie Yoda, Bran becomes such a strong Warg that he can take control of one of the dragons, go crazy and thus save the world.

Old
06-05-2011, 03:46 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Yeah, but Jorah says to Dany, the whole "legitimate" thing is a farce.

Targaryens came and conquered.
Robest and his crew brought them down.

The law of the strongest goes IMO, at this point.
Yes but for honorable or law abiding citizen's a clear line of succession is pivotal for a feudal/monarch society. While it may not always put the best man on the throne if it's clearly made black & white then you get a smooth transition for the successor without having a royal rumble every time a king dies. It may make things tougher for the current generation having the lesser king, but in the long run over the centuries this is a much lesser evil than having constant civil war. And it has a trickle down effect through out the entire medieval society, if a kings younger brother can blatantly usurp the throne from the elder, what's to stop other nobles, great or small, from playing the same game? I would assume that even though he wasn't the right man for the job this is why Ned stood for Stannis to be king all the way to his demise.

Old
06-05-2011, 11:24 PM
McOilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

After finishing AFFC, I'm really glad we're back to Jon and Tyrion next book.

Cersei is interesting, as is Jamie, but honest to god, I cannot stand Sansa or Brienne. I'm on the fence about Arya also.

Jon and Tyrion hold the most interest for me so far, and I look forward to their chapters more so than the others.

I actually really like Davos too, and I wouldn't be surprised if news of his death was exaggerated.

The best thing about GRRM is how he makes his characters evolve in their own passages without being super abrupt about it(does that makes sense?).

The transformation of Cersei from AGOT to AFFC is incredible. She became a drunk and paranoid queen who mistrusts everyone, but in her passages, GRRM makes her think what she's doing is completely justifiable. It's just brilliant writing.

I also hope we get some sort of badass character like Beric(he's dead from what I understood no?) in the next book.

My prediction for the series is there will be some sort of religious war for the throne.

R'hllor vs. Drowned god vs The Seven.

The religion aspect has been slowly growing in influence in the books.

06-06-2011, 01:19 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post

I also hope we get some sort of badass character like Beric(he's dead from what I understood no?) in the next book.
Yeah, Berric's done, Thoros couldn't revive him past the 7th or 8th time.

I do hope we see a come-back from a badass guy at some point, hopefully The Hound.

Old
06-06-2011, 12:26 PM
Central PA Hawk Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicism View Post
Fav caracters:
Arya
Tyrion
Varys
Littlefinger

Count me on with the crowd that find's Brienne boring. I'm about 20% into Feast For Crows and I'm seriously considering skipping her chapters whenever I come across them.

Am I the only one who gets reminded of Biggus Dickus whenever Vargo Hoat's speaks?
I personally liked Brienne's chapters. She also has some of the only fights in the book, so don't skip them or you'll miss the action.

Old
06-06-2011, 12:29 PM
Central PA Hawk Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Yeah, Berric's done, Thoros couldn't revive him past the 7th or 8th time.

I do hope we see a come-back from a badass guy at some point, hopefully The Hound.
Part of me wants to see the Hound return, but part of me is like, lets keep some of these guys arcs completed. GRRM is leaving so many characters with open possibilities (Gregor, Cat, Brienne) I'd like for once to have a character move on with a completed purpose for once. As the priest said, "the Hound" is dead, let Sandor live out his days in peace on the island.

Old
06-06-2011, 01:16 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
I couldn't figure out how to do a spoiler tag.

ah, it's posted up there
Spoil:
Doesn't one of Beric's followers claim to know Snow's mother?
It goes something like this:

- Not a follower but Beric's squire, Edric Dayne the young lord of Starfell
- that means his uncle was Ser Arthur Dayne of the kings guard who Ned and Howland Reed killed at the tower of joy retrieving Lyanna, and his aunt Ashara Dayne was another rumoured 'mother' for Jon as the people of Winterfell thought she was Ned's lover, but threw herself off a cliff when her brother was killed.
- Edric tells Arya that his wet nurse was Wylla, Ned's rumoured 'common girl', whom he believes to be Jon's mother and therefore feels some kinship with her.

Old
06-06-2011, 01:46 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
I actually really like Davos too, and I wouldn't be surprised if news of his death was exaggerated.
Yeah I can't see him going like that. Also relating to this weeks HBO episode, seeing Osha give the ominous line "they're marching the wrong way" and with all the other dire warnings to follow, I'd just like to put a reminder to all the haters out there that of the dozens of powerful people in Westeros Davos was the only one smart enough to listen!

The Onion Knight

Old
06-06-2011, 02:01 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
- that means his uncle was Ser Arthur Dayne of the kings guard who Ned and Howland Reed killed at the tower of joy retrieving Lyanna, and his aunt Ashara Dayne was another rumoured 'mother' for Jon as the people of Winterfell thought she was Ned's lover, but threw herself off a cliff when her brother was killed.
Is it a rumour? At the festival where Lyanna met Rhaegar, didn't Eddard and Ashara also hit it off famously. It's implied that if the war didn't go down and Brandon Stark didn't die, Eddard would have married Ashara.

06-06-2011, 02:35 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Here's a big long essay about Jon's possible parentage, including the stuff about Ned and Ashara Dayne: http://towerofthehand.com/essays/chr...s_parents.html

On that note, I'm kind of surprised that we haven't had a "promise me, Ned" flashback/dream sequence yet. It's a pretty huge part of the first book and with Ned's death being imminent they don't have much time left to fit it in. I'm guessing it'll be in the next episode -- hopefully it hasn't been cut, because that would be really disappointing.

I was hoping for a Tower of Joy flashback as well but I don't think that's going to happen. One of the early previews for the show did show a brief clip of Rickard and Brandon's execution by Aerys though, which hasn't been shown either. I wonder if that scene ended up getting cut, or whether it will feature in next week's episode. I suppose it would foreshadow Ned's execution...

Old
06-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Toblerone
RIP Hickstead

^ I've read that essay before but would just like to say that I think they did a great job on it. Laid out the argument and supported it with the relevant quotes. Really nice job to those who wrote it.

Some people mentioned that GRRM had a hand in writing the Syrio fight scene in the series...so does anyone think there was any closure? I actually always figured he was dead...but reading that part of the book again and watching the scene, I'm not too sure.

Old
06-06-2011, 11:04 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblerone View Post
^ I've read that essay before but would just like to say that I think they did a great job on it. Laid out the argument and supported it with the relevant quotes. Really nice job to those who wrote it.

Some people mentioned that GRRM had a hand in writing the Syrio fight scene in the series...so does anyone think there was any closure? I actually always figured he was dead...but reading that part of the book again and watching the scene, I'm not too sure.
If GRRM is the one actually writing the scene why do you think he'd do it any differently for TV? In the books we didn't see Syrio die because we were in Arya's POV and she wasn't there to see the result. I'd think George would want to keep the same feeling for the HBO series, so there shouldn't be any trickery behind it.

That said, if anyone wants some early hope I saw an early review for the next book saying that he revives more 'dead' characters than he kills living ones in ADwD.

Old
06-07-2011, 02:09 PM
rebel diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
If GRRM is the one actually writing the scene why do you think he'd do it any differently for TV? In the books we didn't see Syrio die because we were in Arya's POV and she wasn't there to see the result. I'd think George would want to keep the same feeling for the HBO series, so there shouldn't be any trickery behind it.

That said, if anyone wants some early hope I saw an early review for the next book saying that he revives more 'dead' characters than he kills living ones in ADwD.
Well, it's easy money that two of those "revived" are Tyrion and Brienne, and I'd wager Benjen is a third. I still believe that Syrio was just a plot device to teach Arya and introduce the free cities, and that he's well and truly dead.

On a fully unrelated note, I think one of the most unexplored plotlines from Crows was the "crowning princess Myrcella" one. I'm hoping that gets revisited in the latter half of Dragons.

Old
06-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Rhett4
Buffalo Selects Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel diamond View Post
Well, it's easy money that two of those "revived" are Tyrion and Brienne, and I'd wager Benjen is a third. I still believe that Syrio was just a plot device to teach Arya and introduce the free cities, and that he's well and truly dead.

On a fully unrelated note, I think one of the most unexplored plotlines from Crows was the "crowning princess Myrcella" one. I'm hoping that gets revisited in the latter half of Dragons.
I don't know that it was unexplored. I think the entire point was to show that most of Dorne thought Prince Doran to be lax and weak, including his own daughter, who wanted nothing more than to bring war upon the Lannisters. Yet all along, Doran had been planning his vengeance...but not the rash, unwinnable kind that Oberyn, Arianne, and the Sand Snakes wanted. This just plotline just explains when Quentyn shows up in the east next book (well, hopefully he does).

I don't know that they're going to do much more with Myrcella or Arianne. I think the point was to set the stage for the Martell/Targaryen alliance. Now I pray we can watch that unfold in DWD.

Old
06-07-2011, 08:50 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel diamond View Post

This is only simple speculation of a single paragraph review, but the first two I don't think would count. Tyrion obviously since he clearly escaped at the end of book 3, and in book 4 I don't think anyone was supposed to be fooled into thinking she got killed, rather the cliffhanger was more setup as 'how did she get out of that'?

First one is 'Reek', since a sample chapter of him is released. Benjen is a good guess and likely choice as well. You can find a transcript of Bran's first chapter, which George read at some fan conference and 'Coldhands' is a mysterious figure who's obviously a zombie of some sort yet doesn't reveal his face. Unless the article was misleading I'd think you need one more at least, and who that could who knows. But I'd still be pretty shocked if Syrio makes a triumphant return.

Old
06-07-2011, 11:04 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

I'm thinking Davos has to be one of the "revived characters" given that he got the very suspicious "oh yeah people say he's been executed and someone's unidentifiable head got put on a spike as proof" treatment in Feast for Crows...

Old
06-08-2011, 07:39 AM
Suiteness

I just read a Jon Snow sample chapter from DwD and I just had to post this:

Quote:
"Her own father got this child on her? We are well rid of her, then. I will not suffer such abominations here. This is not King's Landing."
How can you not love King Stannis?

Old
06-08-2011, 08:05 PM
McOilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

What do you guys think is the deal with Stannis' sword?

I keep going back to what maester Aemon said, "It is a sword which glows, but gives off no heat, how can that be possible?" Or something along those lines.

It's obviously screaming that it's a fake sword or something, but I wonder where that storyline will lead.

Old
06-08-2011, 09:37 PM
SilasAdams

Quote:
What do you guys think is the deal with Stannis' sword?

I keep going back to what maester Aemon said, "It is a sword which glows, but gives off no heat, how can that be possible?" Or something along those lines.

It's obviously screaming that it's a fake sword or something, but I wonder where that storyline will lead.
to me it seems that that confirms that Stannis is not Azor Ahai reborn.

Old
06-08-2011, 09:58 PM
McOilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK All Day View Post
to me it seems that that confirms that Stannis is not Azor Ahai reborn.
I wonder if it leads to Stannis getting rid of Melisandre someway.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:22 AM
cynicism

I get the feeling that Stannis is in denial about Melissandre's true nature and powers, that he's really afraid of her.

Almost done Feast, it feels a lot like the second one where not a whole lot happens and the purpose of this just seems to be to set things up for the next volumes.

Is anyone else sick of GRRM's shtick of killing off character's only not killing them off? The first time it seems like a wonderful use of literary misdirection or slight of hand, but now it feels like a cheap gimmick. I'm half expecting Eddard's headless body to lead the North in battle against the Lannisters.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:58 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicism View Post
Is anyone else sick of GRRM's shtick of killing off character's only not killing them off? The first time it seems like a wonderful use of literary misdirection or slight of hand, but now it feels like a cheap gimmick. I'm half expecting Eddard's headless body to lead the North in battle against the Lannisters.
Not so far, no.

All the "deaths" have been done so they make sense, apart from Lady Coldheart maybe...

Old
06-09-2011, 12:14 PM
SilasAdams

Quote:
I wonder if it leads to Stannis getting rid of Melisandre someway.
I think Mellisandre tries to burn Jon Snow and then he survives cause he is Rhaegars son and destined to be one of the dragon riders and then Mellisandre switches her allegiance to him but Jon Snow aint having it and kills her or something along those lines but actually this is just wish-full thinking but i do see conflict coming between Jon and Stannis in ADWD, cant wait for this book to ****ing come out!

Old
06-09-2011, 01:53 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Yeah I think it's been hinted at several times that Stannis is a false prophet. One of the visions Dany has in the House of the Undying (by the way, can't wait for that scene in Season 2, I hope they do it justice) is of Stannis wielding his sword, followed by a statement that Dany is the "mother of dragons, slayer of lies". So yeah... would not be surprised if he gets his comeuppance at some point. Though he and Dany are still half a world apart from one another so I don't know if it will happen soon, if it is indeed her who "slays" him...

I always found it weird that Stannis is such a stickler for honour and everything but seemingly has no problem with screwing a red priestess and sending evil shadowbabies out to assassinate his enemies...

Old
06-09-2011, 03:14 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Personally the thing I've always been suspicious about Stannis/Melissandre is in the grand scheme of things who's side is she really on? She claims to be an agent of the light, but does some pretty dark things. Is she sincere in her devotion to Rhollor (spelling?) and the common cause against the Others and the coming winter/night? Considering that Dany and her dragons should be the true fire to battle the others, I always get the impression of a false agent from Melissandre, and would be pretty nervous about her getting anywhere near the horn of winter.

Closed Thread