HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Rupp Re-Upped (Still Unconfirmed)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-07-2011, 12:48 AM
  #26
Big McLargehuge
Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 53,272
vCash: 422
I love that I was introduced to Wiz Khalifa because of Girl Talk. It kills me that Pittsburgh only has two musicians that have a reputation outside of a 30 mile radius (sorry Clarks...actually, I'm not) and one is a rapper and the other is the mash-up musician (not that it means a whole lot in general...he's the face of an entire genre of music that only has one person with any sort of talent in it...it's like being the Don Caballero of Math Rock...which, for the record, is a Pittsburgh band also).

Anyway, I can probably thank Wiz for the complete domination of Pirates hats in non-baseball markets. I haven't seen a cap that didn't have that iconic 'P' on it in Missoula since...good lord, I think I saw a Red Sox hat in November...they're literally all Pirates caps in this town. That's not that far from usual, to be honest, and caps aren't a popular thing here...but still, that's one thing that's always amused me.


Oh, uh. Rupp. He wears #17. I liked that number as a kid because Tomas Sandstrom wore it. Yay Sandstrom. I gotta admit, it's one of very few low numbers I actually like, thanks to Sandstrom. So Rupp has that going for him, I guess.



In a unrelated, yet related note...Battles' new album, Gloss Drop, comes out today. There's a reason I mention this, and sadly it has little to do with Mike Rupp.

__________________
“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 06-07-2011 at 12:54 AM.
Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
06-07-2011, 12:56 AM
  #27
71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Moundsville, WV
Country: United States
Posts: 5,647
vCash: 500
Christina Aguilera, Bret Michaels, Mac Miller?

71 is offline  
Old
06-07-2011, 01:01 AM
  #28
Big McLargehuge
Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 53,272
vCash: 422
Aguilera I'll give you...I keep trying to fool myself into thinking she's not from Pittsburgh. Michaels...come on, the 80s don't count. Poison hasn't released an album of relevance since I was in first grade...and that's giving Native Tongue too much credit. To my generation Bret Michaels is a reality TV star, not a singer.

I have no ****ing clue who Mac Miller is, so...yeah.

Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
06-07-2011, 01:03 AM
  #29
OnlyTheBrave*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post
Don't get so upset guys, he'll earn his raise via his increased PP time and top 6 duties.
I see what you did there.

OnlyTheBrave* is offline  
Old
06-07-2011, 01:06 AM
  #30
OnMyOwn
Extremist
 
OnMyOwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: State College
Country: United States
Posts: 8,788
vCash: 500
Miller is a white rapper that wiz khalifa is trying to make famous...he had a video on mtv.

Anti-flag is pittsburgh no?

OnMyOwn is offline  
Old
06-07-2011, 01:28 AM
  #31
71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Moundsville, WV
Country: United States
Posts: 5,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Aguilera I'll give you...I keep trying to fool myself into thinking she's not from Pittsburgh. Michaels...come on, the 80s don't count. Poison hasn't released an album of relevance since I was in first grade...and that's giving Native Tongue too much credit. To my generation Bret Michaels is a reality TV star, not a singer.

I have no ****ing clue who Mac Miller is, so...yeah.
I'm quite surprised you've never hear of Mac Miller.

I'm not a fan of rap but he is really good.

71 is offline  
Old
06-07-2011, 01:36 AM
  #32
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 41,434
vCash: 500
For the record, I can't see the "87" mention in the song not being a nod to Crosby.

I mean, you write a song about Pittsburgh sports and include the number of the city's most iconic active sports star (an obscure number, at that), it's probably not coincidence. Nobody wants to brag about an '87 convertible that badly.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline  
Old
06-07-2011, 01:54 AM
  #33
Big McLargehuge
Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 53,272
vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookeKilledJFK View Post
I'm quite surprised you've never hear of Mac Miller.

I'm not a fan of rap but he is really good.

Well, I'm not a fan of rap, I don't live in Pittsburgh, and I haven't watched MTV since roughly...ever...(I was more of a VH1 fan growing up...come on, I Love The 80s was great at least, even if the decade needs to be forgotten as quickly as possible).

Anti-Flag is Pittsburgh based, but the fact I haven't heard that name in almost a decade doesn't really change my opinion. I assume they're still big in the punk scene...but the punk scene in this country really isn't that big and really hasn't been since they started making music.


I'm just not finding the fact that me not knowing a 19 year-old white Jewish rapper from Pittsburgh that surprising.

Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
06-07-2011, 01:59 AM
  #34
PensFreak
Registered User
 
PensFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,450
vCash: 500
Mac Miller is the truth. I'd say the next big thing, but he already is big. Him and Wiz were number 1 and 2 on iTunes for rap not that long ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74TFS8r_SMI

PensFreak is offline  
Old
06-07-2011, 02:08 AM
  #35
71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Moundsville, WV
Country: United States
Posts: 5,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
I'm just not finding the fact that me not knowing a 19 year-old white Jewish rapper from Pittsburgh that surprising.
Good ****ing point

71 is offline  
Old
06-07-2011, 02:27 AM
  #36
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!
 
Tender Rip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 12,265
vCash: 500
Nothing wrong with re-upping Rupp. Unless it is followed by re-upping the players he makes redundant on our roster.

Hopefully Kennedy and Adams follow next.

Tender Rip is offline  
Old
06-07-2011, 02:52 AM
  #37
Human
cynic
 
Human's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bandwagon
Posts: 4,617
vCash: 500
I'm not a fan a of this mostly because Rupp is one of Bylsma's darlings. also, he was pretty good on the later part of the season and on the playoff, but he was next to Cooke on taking dumb penalties for the most part of it. I would have loved Asham back instead of Rupp.

Human is offline  
Old
06-07-2011, 02:59 AM
  #38
Stad
@Malkin2Horny
 
Stad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,778
vCash: 500
Decent i guess, looks like Ruppamania will be running wild for a few more years to come at least lol.

Stad is online now  
Old
06-07-2011, 03:16 AM
  #39
66-29-33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,419
vCash: 500
Re-rupping Rupp? hopefully he's better next season then last season....i wanted him gone so bad for constantly going to the penalty box.

66-29-33 is offline  
Old
06-07-2011, 03:46 AM
  #40
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.
 
ObsessedCreative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFreak View Post
Mac Miller is the truth. I'd say the next big thing, but he already is big. Him and Wiz were number 1 and 2 on iTunes for rap not that long ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74TFS8r_SMI
My God what a ****ing GEEK! I am embarrassed for him.

ObsessedCreative is offline  
Old
06-07-2011, 05:50 AM
  #41
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup
 
Malkin4Top6Wingerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 4,949
vCash: 500
That price seems like overpayment to me, though admittedly I'm not the biggest fan of Rupp. His play wasn't all that impressive this year and he consistently took terrible penalties. It's hard to be a player with positive value when you consistently put your team at a disadvantage and don't make up for it in other areas. Then again he is a good locker room guy, can be an intimidating physical presence, and has decent skills for a fourth liner. I'm just not sure I'd have paid as much as Shero did for him.

I wonder if this spells the end for Talbot. Not that they play similar roles, but I don't think Shero wants to overpay to keep our fourth line intact. At least I hope not.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline  
Old
06-07-2011, 06:09 AM
  #42
AgentM
Registered User
 
AgentM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Allison Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Rupp was terrible for most of the season, but played pretty well down the stretch, and he fills a role as a big, physical forward who'll defend his teammates.

If he plays like he did toward the end of the season and curbs his penchant for indefensible penalties, I like the deal.
You said it perfectly my friend. I'm fine with Rupp back at this price.

I think we'll see Asham and Dupuis back if Kennedy leaves to fill out the RW side.

AgentM is offline  
Old
06-07-2011, 07:16 AM
  #43
Flat Stanley
Registered User
 
Flat Stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,185
vCash: 500
Can somebody please post a source that says he was re-signed? It's not on NHL.com, the Penguins website, Rupp's Twitter, google or even TIOPS. I know this is just a rumor, but everyone is talking like this is 100% true, meanwhile I can't find info about it. I hope it's accurate but until I see it somewhere, I can't believe it. Is there a source?

Flat Stanley is offline  
Old
06-07-2011, 07:38 AM
  #44
SkullSplitter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
if you really believe that you don't know the song. he references the car being yellow with black stripes, and its that color on purpose.

its not a steeler song no, its a pittsburgh one

the guy represents pittsburgh in everything and is proud to be from pittsburgh (always wearing pittsburgh sports attire and talking about being from here.... also has a huge 412 tattoo). whether you hate him for being a tattooed rapper or not is beyond the point.....not really meaning you SomeDude, just people in general.
I don't hate him. I hate his ****ty music. And not because it's rap. I like some rap. But his stuff is super annoying.

SkullSplitter is offline  
Old
06-07-2011, 07:44 AM
  #45
SkullSplitter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
I love that I was introduced to Wiz Khalifa because of Girl Talk. It kills me that Pittsburgh only has two musicians that have a reputation outside of a 30 mile radius (sorry Clarks...actually, I'm not) and one is a rapper and the other is the mash-up musician (not that it means a whole lot in general...he's the face of an entire genre of music that only has one person with any sort of talent in it...it's like being the Don Caballero of Math Rock...which, for the record, is a Pittsburgh band also).

Anyway, I can probably thank Wiz for the complete domination of Pirates hats in non-baseball markets. I haven't seen a cap that didn't have that iconic 'P' on it in Missoula since...good lord, I think I saw a Red Sox hat in November...they're literally all Pirates caps in this town. That's not that far from usual, to be honest, and caps aren't a popular thing here...but still, that's one thing that's always amused me.


Oh, uh. Rupp. He wears #17. I liked that number as a kid because Tomas Sandstrom wore it. Yay Sandstrom. I gotta admit, it's one of very few low numbers I actually like, thanks to Sandstrom. So Rupp has that going for him, I guess.

In a unrelated, yet related note...Battles' new album, Gloss Drop, comes out today. There's a reason I mention this, and sadly it has little to do with Mike Rupp.
It's funny that you say that about Girl Talk & Wiz Khalifa but then later mention Don Cab, who are probably more popular outside of Pittsburgh than in Pittsburgh.

SkullSplitter is offline  
Old
06-07-2011, 08:16 AM
  #46
Dread Pirate Roberts
Registered User
 
Dread Pirate Roberts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mountain West
Country: United States
Posts: 5,034
vCash: 500
His cap number going up in Fantasy would make sense, what with the penalty minutes.

In real life, it ought to be the opposite way.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline  
Old
06-07-2011, 08:25 AM
  #47
TheRollingPuck
Free fallin'
 
TheRollingPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,738
vCash: 500
Might be an overpayment, but every player will get overpaid come July 1st.

TheRollingPuck is offline  
Old
06-07-2011, 08:25 AM
  #48
#66
Registered User
 
#66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,255
vCash: 500
Hope its true. I really like the idea of having Kunitz, Neal, Cooke and Rupper down the left side of the ice. Besides I really like Rupp. Other than the first month and a half of this season, he's put in some high end time for a player of his ilk.

#66 is offline  
Old
06-07-2011, 08:29 AM
  #49
khaoskennedy
Registered User
 
khaoskennedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Western, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
awesome, hopefully its true, glad to have him back

khaoskennedy is offline  
Old
06-07-2011, 08:29 AM
  #50
Shoofyou10
Registered User
 
Shoofyou10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Burgh
Posts: 807
vCash: 500
Black and Yellow is about Pittsburgh. In the refrain he says that he is repping his city where everything is Black and Yellow.

As for Rupp, I like him as a guy but not all that wild about him as a hockey player. If this is true then I hope that he can step up his game a little bit next year. He shows weird glimpses of skill but he never sustains it.

Shoofyou10 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.