HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Ex-Habs Thread Part II(All Former Habs Players Discussed Here!)

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2011, 12:36 AM
Bunka Gurndeep

vCash: 500
WS you're one of my favorite posters here but it seems like every time we pass on a French Prospect, French Free Agent, French Player, trade a French Player away, see a French Player flourish somewhere else, etc you make it seem like you believed in this player all along and that we were wrong for letting yet another homegrown talent slip away.

Just something I've noticed over the years, you rarely do it for English, Russian, Swedish, etc players...just only French.

Old
06-07-2011, 03:45 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

The same people who complain about losing a guy like Lapierre are the people who complain about somebody like Eller not having enough ice time. You can't have both.

Old
06-07-2011, 05:55 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
The same people who complain about losing a guy like Lapierre are the people who complain about somebody like Eller not having enough ice time. You can't have both.
Or Desharnais! Imho we basically traded Lapierre for Desharnais, and thats a huge win for us.

Old
06-07-2011, 06:30 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunka Gurndeep View Post
WS you're one of my favorite posters here but it seems like every time we pass on a French Prospect, French Free Agent, French Player, trade a French Player away, see a French Player flourish somewhere else, etc you make it seem like you believed in this player all along and that we were wrong for letting yet another homegrown talent slip away.

Just something I've noticed over the years, you rarely do it for English, Russian, Swedish, etc players...just only French.
Don't see how I can be one of your favorite poster and then you come up with that BS. 'Cause if you stop your selective reading....I know some people who can talk to you how I've been defending Sergei Kostitsyn all this time. And how I've been defending Mikhail Grabovski all this time. And how I've been defending Halak etc....I'm a big time believer that this team does not develop their players very well NO MATTER THE LANGUAGE THEY SPEAK. But I also believe, since I like to scout the Q more than any other leagues, that going local does not hurt. That since we're from here, we should have the upper hand on the other teams. That the Habs kept mentioning how contrary to any other team, they hold a combine after the real combine mostly for players of the Q, that it shows their interest and yet still don't do an appropriate of drafting them and developing them. So as we've been mentioning all these years, I do have a bias towards the Q....yet when it comes to draft, all the players I want are not from the Q. I'm behind talent, and I'm also behind giving a player a fair chance. And contrary to some hypocrisy around here, I HATE seeing a guy succeed everywhere else than here. I HATE the "He wouldn't have done it here" which I find is something we keep repeating so we'd feel better about making another development screw up.

By the way, I don't "make it seem" like I believed in that player all along...I did, and it's on this board. I might have had in some occasions some bad words for them, but my general consensus was that we let some guys we didn't work well with. I liked the O'Byrne trade because we got Bournival, but I didn't like the fact that we let go a big guy like that who CLEARLY had some room to progress. I don't like the fact that Martin sits down rookies who make mistakes contrary to other coaches who keeps playing them....

So, sorry, but there's are TONS of examples where I'm defending other players than locals. Yet, if you decide to use your selective reading glasses, there's nothing I can say to change your mind.

Quote:
Eller on the 3rd. Lapierre on the 4th. Geez, at one point, seeing how Martin was using Eller, me and tons of others had Eller....in the AHL. If Eller becomes the SCORING forward we hope he's going to be and if Gomez struggles, it's Eller on the 2nd, and Gomez on the 3rd/4th. Still room for Lapierre. You can put Gomez on the wing to force him to go to places you want him to go. Everytime I read something like that, I believe we're a 1st place team. There's so many players we don't need on this team and yet work hard to make the playoffs every single year.

And the other comment I made before is....If people say Grabovski isn't that good and is just doing a good job 'cause he's playing with a loser team....it then has to mean that Lapierre is doing a GREAT job based on the fact that he's playing for a Cup contender?

Old
06-07-2011, 08:01 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan88 View Post
I'm sure this has been discussed already... But watching the playoffs I cannot for the life of me understand why we gave away Lappy for like nothing... The guy is a hometown player, chirps everyone, and is non stop hustle. I like him a lot as a player, and its painful to be watching him play in another jersey right now and doing so well...
1) He asked to be traded
2) We have Plekanec, Gomez, Eller, Desharnais, White, Halpern all under contract the same year and all were playing at minimum better than Lapierre. (All centers naturally)

He's a great player and now and then he shows true signs of genius skill, he's the type of guy who now and then will really impress the fans with not only his antics but now and then a really sick play. He just could never put it together consistently. When you already have a decent number of talented wingers and one is asking to be traded you do the right thing.

We did get nothing for him which is a shame and Anaheim fleeced us by basically improving their pick on him. That having been said I'm happy for Lapierre always liked him and hope he gets to bring home the cup when he contacts Gomez

I'd still consider bringing him back if other centers were dealt but the problem is we really also needed a guy like Halpern for faceoffs. I'm guessing the writing was on the wall and it was either play as a winger most nights or be traded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Don't see how I can be one of your favorite poster and then you come up with that BS. 'Cause if you stop your selective reading....I know some people who can talk to you how I've been defending Sergei Kostitsyn all this time. And how I've been defending Mikhail Grabovski all this time. And how I've been defending Halak etc....I'm a big time believer that this team does not develop their players very well NO MATTER THE LANGUAGE THEY SPEAK. But I also believe, since I like to scout the Q more than any other leagues, that going local does not hurt. That since we're from here, we should have the upper hand on the other teams. That the Habs kept mentioning how contrary to any other team, they hold a combine after the real combine mostly for players of the Q, that it shows their interest and yet still don't do an appropriate of drafting them and developing them. So as we've been mentioning all these years, I do have a bias towards the Q....yet when it comes to draft, all the players I want are not from the Q. I'm behind talent, and I'm also behind giving a player a fair chance. And contrary to some hypocrisy around here, I HATE seeing a guy succeed everywhere else than here. I HATE the "He wouldn't have done it here" which I find is something we keep repeating so we'd feel better about making another development screw up.

By the way, I don't "make it seem" like I believed in that player all along...I did, and it's on this board. I might have had in some occasions some bad words for them, but my general consensus was that we let some guys we didn't work well with. I liked the O'Byrne trade because we got Bournival, but I didn't like the fact that we let go a big guy like that who CLEARLY had some room to progress. I don't like the fact that Martin sits down rookies who make mistakes contrary to other coaches who keeps playing them....

So, sorry, but there's are TONS of examples where I'm defending other players than locals. Yet, if you decide to use your selective reading glasses, there's nothing I can say to change your mind.

Eller on the 3rd. Lapierre on the 4th. Geez, at one point, seeing how Martin was using Eller, me and tons of others had Eller....in the AHL. If Eller becomes the SCORING forward we hope he's going to be and if Gomez struggles, it's Eller on the 2nd, and Gomez on the 3rd/4th. Still room for Lapierre. You can put Gomez on the wing to force him to go to places you want him to go. Everytime I read something like that, I believe we're a 1st place team. There's so many players we don't need on this team and yet work hard to make the playoffs every single year.

And the other comment I made before is....If people say Grabovski isn't that good and is just doing a good job 'cause he's playing with a loser team....it then has to mean that Lapierre is doing a GREAT job based on the fact that he's playing for a Cup contender?
Links or it didn't happen

I'm just kidding

Old
06-07-2011, 08:07 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Lapierre is a clown. For all that he brings with his speed/forchecking abilities, it gets cancelled out by his instigating. Its fun to watch as a fan, but ask guys on his own team if they appreciate it. Especially chirping a guy like Bergeron who is a leader in Boston & very well respected. It gave Boston that added motivation.
Instead od answering questions about being down 0-2 yesterday, the media was focused on Lapierre`s side show, hence taking pressure off the bruins & giving them added motivation, and it showed via Lucic & Recchi that they were still pissed about it.

He`s not a bad hockey player & does some great things on the ice, but he is a black eye on the game sometimes. You have to pick your spots when your an agitator.

On the other hand, i like Higgins hustle, & speed, but man he has hands of stone.

Old
06-07-2011, 08:24 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
I really like the way Detroit lets their prospects over develop in the AHL. I would have preferred to keep Lap and have Eller more time in the AHL. I'm impressed with the way Eller has improved over the year, I just think he could have learnt more by spending more time in the AHL.

Old
06-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Because he sucked in the regular season

Old
06-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Maxpac

I choose White over Lappierre every time!

Old
06-07-2011, 12:44 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
I choose White over Lappierre every time!
It was between Pyatt, Darche and Lapierre (and/or DD). White didn't factor into the situation. Neither does Moen, though Moen is so strikingly ineffective in his role.

I'd take Lapierre over Pyatt any day of the week.

Old
06-07-2011, 12:52 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I really like the way Detroit lets their prospects over develop in the AHL. I would have preferred to keep Lap and have Eller more time in the AHL. I'm impressed with the way Eller has improved over the year, I just think he could have learnt more by spending more time in the AHL.
Same here.

Lapierre and Halpern wre more than capable to center the bottom two lines last season. Eller needed more seasonning at AHL level and got confidence on his offensive play. gauthier did not want to look bad in the Halak's trade and they kept him in Montreal.

A line of Moen-Lapierre-White would had been quite interesting to watch.

Old
06-07-2011, 12:58 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He asked to be traded...and more often than not he seemed to think he was a skill guy instead of playing a grinding game and using his speed.
Well he scored that one goal on a breakaway and toe-dragged his way to the net, so maybe he believes in his skills

People still don't know that Lappy said he either wants more ice-time (permanent 3rd line and 2nd PP wave) or he wants out? He was one of my favorite players and I liked his role on the team, but I guess we now have Ryan "Rhyno" White.

Old
06-14-2011, 01:27 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Interesting to see...I know it's Eklund but makes for interesting reading...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...oychuk/1/36385

Old
06-14-2011, 01:33 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
It doesn't surprise me that he put up 37 goals in the Finnish league because he has a tremendous shot - it's hit bread and butter. But he's a terrible skater and, from what I saw, has the hockey sense of a post. Unless he's improved dramatically in those respects, I wouldn't chase him too much...

Old
06-14-2011, 01:37 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
It doesn't surprise me that he put up 37 goals in the Finnish league because he has a tremendous shot - it's hit bread and butter. But he's a terrible skater and, from what I saw, has the hockey sense of a post. Unless he's improved dramatically in those respects, I wouldn't chase him too much...
You weren't surprised? Before this season only once in his career did he score more then 15 goals over his 8 years in the FNL and 1 in the AHL.

Old
06-14-2011, 02:09 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
You weren't surprised? Before this season only once in his career did he score more then 15 goals over his 8 years in the FNL and 1 in the AHL.
It doesn't surprise me to find out that he's able to dominate lower leagues with a shot like his. I don't think it has a chance in hell of bringing him to the NHL though.

Old
06-14-2011, 02:16 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Same here.

Lapierre and Halpern wre more than capable to center the bottom two lines last season. Eller needed more seasonning at AHL level and got confidence on his offensive play. gauthier did not want to look bad in the Halak's trade and they kept him in Montreal.

A line of Moen-Lapierre-White would had been quite interesting to watch.
Eller was good enough to play in the NHL, so he played in the NHL. Once Patches, DD and White showed they were good enough for the NHL they also made it. The organization is consistent in that regard.

The only way to learn how to play in the NHL is to play in the NHL so long as you're good enough to be there. Eller was good enough to be a 4th line center to start the year. He ended the year good enough to be a 3rd line center. Lessons that can only be learned in the big leagues were learned and Eller's all round game benefited from it.

Eller could have rampaged in the AHL this season as one of the best players in that league and would have also developed there but it was a legitimate option to have him play in Montreal this season.

Lapierre certainly could be useful playing bottom six for the Habs, but on the other hand he wasn't necessary either. So if he didn't like his role then trading him is no big deal. In the final result, games probably weren't won or lost based off of that decision.

Old
06-14-2011, 03:33 PM
Habs514

Janne Lahti

Hi Guys,

I am sure you guys read Eklunds blog today about a number of teams interested in signing Janne Lahti. Lahti scored 37 goals this past season for Jokerit, topping the SM-Liiga. Is this the same Lahti we signed in 2007 and played in Hamilton?

2007-08 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL 65 9 9 18 47 -10 -- -- -- -- --
2008-09 Jokerit Helsinki SM-liiga 41 9 8 17 10 8 5 1 3 4 2
2009-10 Jokerit Helsinki SM-liiga 46 15 10 25 28 -3 3 0 1 1 0
2010-11 Jokerit Helsinki SM-liiga 59 37 22 59 30 29

Old
06-14-2011, 03:50 PM
Jack DiBiase
Team Iceland Coach

Lahti's success was mostly due to feeding of Teemu Pulkkinen. Maybe he has slightly improved since the last time he was brought over, but still there's absolutely no chance of him ever becoming a full-time NHLer. Therefore it's not worth to waste a roster spot for the 29-year-old in Hamilton.

Old
06-14-2011, 04:16 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Left winger? We need righties.

Old
06-14-2011, 05:28 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs514 View Post
Hi Guys,

I am sure you guys read Eklunds blog today about a number of teams interested in signing Janne Lahti. Lahti scored 37 goals this past season for Jokerit, topping the SM-Liiga. Is this the same Lahti we signed in 2007 and played in Hamilton?

2007-08 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL 65 9 9 18 47 -10 -- -- -- -- --
2008-09 Jokerit Helsinki SM-liiga 41 9 8 17 10 8 5 1 3 4 2
2009-10 Jokerit Helsinki SM-liiga 46 15 10 25 28 -3 3 0 1 1 0
2010-11 Jokerit Helsinki SM-liiga 59 37 22 59 30 29
why are you asking this question if you have the stats right in front of you?

Old
06-14-2011, 07:32 PM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

vCash: 50
This is probably the best place to post this: do any of you guys know how Perezhogin is doing? Do we still hold his rights? Any chance he comes back?

Old
06-14-2011, 07:43 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirine View Post
This is probably the best place to post this: do any of you guys know how Perezhogin is doing? Do we still hold his rights? Any chance he comes back?
He's doing well, and loving life with Jagr and Cervenka. I think he was at least top 20 in goals in the KHL this year. Doubt he ever comes back, and his rights must be long gone by now, but I'm not sure on that one.

Old
06-15-2011, 03:31 AM
sandman08

stats lie

Old
06-15-2011, 03:47 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirine View Post
Rights are long gone. And from what I hear, he's doing well, but not well enough to jump to NHL. Probably no intention of leaving either.

Closed Thread