HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XXIII (All non Habs related news here)

Closed Thread

Old
06-06-2011, 07:49 PM
overlords
Hfboards

vCash: 500
The Out of Town Thread part XXIII (All non Habs related news here)

continue here. Try to keep stanley cup game stuff to the GDT.

Old
06-07-2011, 12:31 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=922285

(Thread about Rupp being re-signed 2 years 875k per)

Hopefully not true and we still have a chance to get him.

Old
06-07-2011, 07:12 AM
Protest the Hero

You know, looking at the Rome on Horton hit and dissecting it in a vacuum, I'd have no problem with a suspension on Rome. The hit was a little late and high(but with the shoulder). However, if you look at the suspensions, or lack thereof, this season I don't see how you can suspend him for that. Especially when you factor into the playoffs are more important calculation.

Old
06-07-2011, 07:47 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Habitats View Post
You know, looking at the Rome on Horton hit and dissecting it in a vacuum, I'd have no problem with a suspension on Rome. The hit was a little late and high(but with the shoulder). However, if you look at the suspensions, or lack thereof, this season I don't see how you can suspend him for that. Especially when you factor into the playoffs are more important calculation.
I have a couple of questions which relate to that hit, wondering if anyone can give me a definitive answer. I was always under the impression that when finishing a check, you had about 1.5 seconds after the puck gets moved to make your hit, beyond that would constitute a late hit.

Reading the thread on the playoffs board about the hit, people are saying that the rule is you have to make a hit within 0.5 seconds of the puck being moved.

1. Can anyone dig out the exact rule as it appears in the rulebook that specifically mentions a defined time period within which you have to make a hit for it to be clean?

2. If the rules say that it is 0.5 seconds to make a hit, how long has that rule been in play? Did it change with the new headshot rules, or at another time or was it always 0.5 seconds and it was just unwritten that 1 or 2 seconds was acceptable when there was less focus/fuss about hitting? Because I have heard the "you have a second or two" explanation in commentary before.

If anyone can answer either of those, I'd be interested to see what the official line is and how long such rulings have been active.

Old
06-07-2011, 07:54 AM
NHLcrazy

Good thing the Canucks lost 8-1 and not 2-1 in triple OT... Now they're pissed and Luongo had his chronic ''bad game'', he should be good to go on Wednesday...

Canucks in 5

Old
06-07-2011, 08:09 AM
habsrule22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy View Post
Good thing the Canucks lost 8-1 and not 2-1 in triple OT... Now they're pissed and Luongo had his chronic ''bad game'', he should be good to go on Wednesday...

Canucks in 5
sure hope your right, they played a real good first period but it went to shyt after that

Old
06-07-2011, 09:19 AM
Kriss E

Didn't see the game, but damn, 8-1 in 2 periods, what the heck happened.

Old
06-07-2011, 09:31 AM
usernam

Horton to miss rest of the playoffs with "severe concussion".

It was a good strong hit, it looked nothing more than a mild concussion to me. No way this is severe; they only want Rome suspended, that's why.

Old
06-07-2011, 09:32 AM
pine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Didn't see the game, but damn, 8-1 in 2 periods, what the heck happened.
The Rome hit + Horton injury gave the Bruins some motivation.

Canucks had a good 1st period, but then folded in the 2nd after a trio of goals by Boston. And well, Vigneault never pulled Luongo, which I felt he should have after the 3rd or 4th goal. Game, set, match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMo316 View Post

It was a good strong hit, it looked nothing more than a mild concussion to me. No way this is severe; they only want Rome suspended, that's why.
says Mark Recchi, MD.

Old
06-07-2011, 09:36 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMo316 View Post

/retweet

Old
06-07-2011, 09:43 AM
NHLcrazy

Like always, rules for 29 teams and rules for the Bruins...

Old
06-07-2011, 09:50 AM
MathMan

I hope Horton gets a speedy recovery. I'm not going to doubt the diagnosis.

Hopefully he can be tweeting from movie theaters in no time.

Much ado about the blowout, which IMO is silly. More importantly is that the Bruins just lost their best winger (and leading scorer) and their winger depth was already quite questionable. They were hanging on for dear life already in the match-up game. Peverley may be able to handle the tough minutes, but then the third line starts to suffer and the Canucks' third line have been doing a number on it.

Old
06-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Patccmoi

Just wishing him a speedy recovery. I hate Horton because of all the ******-baggery and I won't forget because he got hurt that 1-2 weeks ago he was throwing stuff at fans, sucker punching and giving an earful to Downie after hitting him from behind headfirst into the boards taking him out of the game, but I want dirty hits removed from the game and that includes those aimed at the Bruins too.

Old
06-07-2011, 12:35 PM
Habsawce

Please tell me I'm not the only one seeing all the Boston fans comments mirror things we said about Pacioretty and got bashed for?

"Two factors were considered in reaching this decision," said NHL
Senior Vice President of Hockey Operations Mike Murphy. "The hit by Rome
was clearly beyond what is acceptable in terms of how late it was delivered
after Horton had released the puck and it caused a significant injury."

Would the injury come into play if it wasn't a fringe NHLer delivering the hit? I don't think so.

As for the Bruins fan, I hope they get it now, and truly understand what our fan base went through and have a little more respect for us.

Old
06-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Please tell me I'm not the only one seeing all the Boston fans comments mirror things we said about Pacioretty and got bashed for?

Would the injury come into play if it wasn't a fringe NHLer delivering the hit? I don't think so.

As for the Bruins fan, I hope they get it now, and truly understand what our fan base went through and have a little more respect for us.
They don't, they won't, and we shouldn't give a damn.

Old
06-07-2011, 12:46 PM
WhiskeySeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patccmoi View Post
Just wishing him a speedy recovery. I hate Horton because of all the ******-baggery and I won't forget because he got hurt that 1-2 weeks ago he was throwing stuff at fans, sucker punching and giving an earful to Downie after hitting him from behind headfirst into the boards taking him out of the game, but I want dirty hits removed from the game and that includes those aimed at the Bruins too.
Dirty hits are when the guy is in a vulnerable position. This was a LATE hit. It's not clean, hence the penalty but doesn't deserve any suspension. It was 1.7 seconds late, open-ice. No Stanchion, not a blindside, no stickwork, etc. Shoulder to chest, open ice.

I hope Boston chokes in hell.

Old
06-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Habsawce

Let's try something for fun.

Senior Vice President of Hockey Operations Mike Murphy. "The hit by Chara was clearly beyond what is acceptable in terms of how late it was delivered after Pacioretty had released the puck and it caused a significant injury."

Notice anything?

Old
06-07-2011, 01:07 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Looks like Horton sustained a serious injury/he's out. Rome out for the year too. Fair suspension I guess, but if Horton somehow comes back and plays this year, they deserve a kick in the nuts.
And guess who's in the lineup? None other than Seguin the saviour.

Old
06-07-2011, 01:51 PM
CGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Mike Murphy's a tool. Just come out and say there's two sets of rules, and Chara got away with one because he's a "star". Apparently three months ago you needed a late hit, injury, and some other factor like a head shot to get a suspension:

Quote:
“After a thorough review of the video I can find no basis to impose supplemental discipline,” Murphy said in a statement Wednesday.

“I could not find any evidence to suggest that, beyond this being a correct call for interference, Chara targeted the head of his opponent, left his feet or delivered the check in any other manner that could be deemed to be dangerous.”
Something tells me if Chara landed the Rome hit on Oreskevich there wouldn't have been a suspension either. ******* the NHL.

Old
06-07-2011, 02:02 PM
Andy

Here's a golden nugget for you boys

Quote:
MIKE MURPHY: This has nothing to do with Rule 48. This is just an interference penalty, an interference hit. If it was immediate after he released the puck, it would be a legal hit. We have them all the time.

http://communities.canada.com/vancou...ke-murphy.aspx

Chara should have been suspended. It's funny because this is exactly what Habs fans argued during that incident.

Old
06-07-2011, 02:57 PM
MTL-rules

This hit deserved a suspension... so did the ****ing Chara hit... this league is a total joke.

... and when will Bruins fans finally admit that Chara should have been suspended ?

Old
06-07-2011, 03:03 PM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I hope Horton gets a speedy recovery. I'm not going to doubt the diagnosis.

Hopefully he can be tweeting from movie theaters in no time.

Much ado about the blowout, which IMO is silly. More importantly is that the Bruins just lost their best winger (and leading scorer) and their winger depth was already quite questionable. They were hanging on for dear life already in the match-up game. Peverley may be able to handle the tough minutes, but then the third line starts to suffer and the Canucks' third line have been doing a number on it.
What if Lucic or Chara got hit like that ? I'd hope for a recovery but not as speedy .As far as lat nites game: I've never seen an 8-1 game that was so much closer than the score.Luongo just sucked,and a few of the Canuck euro players were intimidated(Erhoff and Edler),but Thomas stood on his head,and it could have gone either way before Luongo tanked

Old
06-07-2011, 03:05 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

What a ****ing bush league this is. Unbelievable!!!!

Their reasoning for the suspension could be mirrored on to Chara for the Pacioretty hit and he got nothing! . Corruption is running rampant.

Old
06-07-2011, 03:24 PM
ScottFC

Can't believe he didn't get at least a 1 game suspension for that

Old
06-07-2011, 03:28 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
The right call was made, too bad the right call wasn't made a couple of months ago. Maybe now that Campbell is gone they are going to wake up!

Closed Thread