Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Ottawa 67's 2011-12 Season Thread

Old
06-03-2011, 12:47 PM
44 95 plus tax

vCash: 500
From the Ottawa Sun:
The Ottawa 67’s have signed a draft pick and made a trade.

Ryan Van Stralen, a 6-foot-3, 210-pound left winger from Prescott, a 67’s selection in the 2009 OHL draft, will join the team. He was named the CCHL’s most improved player this past season, with 24 goals and 28 assists in 60 games for the Smiths Falls Bears.

“Ryan is a big, strong power forward who through hard work and determination has become a very good player,” said 67’s GM Brian Kilrea.

Ottawa acquired import player Michal Cajkovsky from the Kingston Frontenacs for a third-round selection in the 2013 OHL draft. Cajkovsky, a 6-foot-3, 208-pound defenceman from Slovakia, had four goals and 11 assists in 67 games for the Frontenacs.

“Michal is a big stay-at-home defenceman that will complement our group of returning defenceman well,” said 67’s coach Chris Byrne. “He played in all situations in his first season in the OHL last year.”

I guess, Sedlak is not coming back. I really liked this guy Cajkovsky last year when I saw him play the 67's. Plus he is a good size.

Van Stralen is a big kid too. Looks like the 67's learned something from last year's playoffs -- get big or go home.

44 95 plus tax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 08:21 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 95 plus tax View Post
From an e-mail I received from the Ottawa 67's:

It will be at the Ottawa U Rink, and it will be open to the public.

Saturday June 4 6:00 to 8:00 Game (I assume this is PM)

Sunday June 5 9:30 to 11:30 Game
Did anyone go to this? Who looked good?

ottawafan66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 02:19 PM
44 95 plus tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafan66 View Post
Did anyone go to this? Who looked good?
Martindale, Ceci, Tofolli, Nesbit and Mark Zanetti.....

Yes, they were there. I guess they needed some bodies to fill up the benches to have scrimages.

From this years draft:

Perklin (or Perkin as 67's say?) Big kid, but kind of awkward. Didn't impress me on Saturday, but came to play on Sunday. Scored a nice goal off the wing with a solid top corner slap shot.

Vlajkov: he really didn't stand out, good or bad, which I guess is a good thing.

Salerno: This kid can play. He's small, but great wheels, handles the puck well, and good hockey sense. Don't know why he dropped to the third round. Maybe size and NCAA rumours. He will make the team.

Others.

Van Stralan: Big kid too. Needs some work skating, but will be a good mucker type guy. I don't think this kind of scrimmage is where he would stand out.

Giftopolous: Obviously has worked on his skating, but still doesn't pass the puck. A few times his linemates were a litlle pissed skating off the ice after he held on to the puck and either made a weak shot or lost the puck.

Gustuvson: Still a little pitpull, hard to knock off the puck and his puck pursuit is great. Stood up to some of the big defensemen in goal mouth scrambles as well.

Cooper Rush. BIG. Had a nice slapshpot goal from the point yesterday, but I think was on for the first 5 Black goals.

Goalies:

Mazrek and Campbell won't have any worries going in to camp.....

44 95 plus tax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 09:31 AM
vegas

2011-12 season

I am glad to see that the 67's are getting bigger and that alot of our fire power will return next season. I do think that this years team could very well be a team that could win the east and truely challenge the west for the OHL cup and represent Ontario at the Memorial cup.

Our strengths for sure are our top two forward lines, our two experienced goalies and our top four defense.

we need a good intimidation type player for sure, to play either defense or on the third line.

vegas

vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 08:57 AM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas View Post
I am glad to see that the 67's are getting bigger and that alot of our fire power will return next season. I do think that this years team could very well be a team that could win the east and truely challenge the west for the OHL cup and represent Ontario at the Memorial cup.

Our strengths for sure are our top two forward lines, our two experienced goalies and our top four defense.

we need a good intimidation type player for sure, to play either defense or on the third line.

vegas
I couldn't agree more. In my opinion, the favourites next year will be the Niagara Ice Dogs, but the 67's should definitely contend, especially if Martindale comes back. I kind of hope that Kilrea is willing to give up a bit of our future for some vets, even though that goes against his style. In my opinion, if we could give up a young player and a pick for a 2nd line winger or top 4 defenceman, I see us on equal terms with the Ice Dogs.

Does anyone think that Foglia will emerge as a top 6 winger this year? What about Smith? He's obviously an elite 3rd liner, but it would be nice to see him build on that 20-20 season from a year ago.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:17 AM
sawagohabs4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 95 plus tax View Post
Martindale, Ceci, Tofolli, Nesbit and Mark Zanetti.....

Yes, they were there. I guess they needed some bodies to fill up the benches to have scrimages.

From this years draft:

Perklin (or Perkin as 67's say?) Big kid, but kind of awkward. Didn't impress me on Saturday, but came to play on Sunday. Scored a nice goal off the wing with a solid top corner slap shot.

Vlajkov: he really didn't stand out, good or bad, which I guess is a good thing.

Salerno: This kid can play. He's small, but great wheels, handles the puck well, and good hockey sense. Don't know why he dropped to the third round. Maybe size and NCAA rumours. He will make the team.

Others.

Van Stralan: Big kid too. Needs some work skating, but will be a good mucker type guy. I don't think this kind of scrimmage is where he would stand out.

Giftopolous: Obviously has worked on his skating, but still doesn't pass the puck. A few times his linemates were a litlle pissed skating off the ice after he held on to the puck and either made a weak shot or lost the puck.

Gustuvson: Still a little pitpull, hard to knock off the puck and his puck pursuit is great. Stood up to some of the big defensemen in goal mouth scrambles as well.

Cooper Rush. BIG. Had a nice slapshpot goal from the point yesterday, but I think was on for the first 5 Black goals.

Goalies:

Mazrek and Campbell won't have any worries going in to camp.....
Agree with much of this assessment:

Perklin really did not make much of an impression on either day. Definitely has size but needs to work on his skating. He did score on day 2 but overall was not that noticeable.

Agree on Vlajkov - also did not make much of an impression on me although I did focus more on incumbents and some of the Ottawa kids.

Agree on the positives stated regarding Salerno although they really only applied to his play in game 1 where he was possibly the most noticeable kid on the ice. However his shifts were consistently way too long and it seemed to catch up to him on day 2. He looked like he emptied the tank and had nothing left - pretty much a non-factor, tired and got bounced around making me question his ability to step in right away considering how small he is.

Agree on Van Stralen - big and strong but possibly more suited to a 3rd line role - at least at the start.

Giftopolous did hog the puck but displayed some nice wheels and perhaps is ready to take the next step.

Gustuvson was exactly as described - hard not to admire a small kid who works like that.

From the Ottawa perspective I also liked what Golberg and Blair did. I thought Golberg got some decent puck time considering he's a 7th rounder. Made good decisions with and without the puck, showed some speed on a couple of drives tot he net and put himself in good scoring positions several times. He also held his own in the face-off circle and in a couple of 1-on-1 battles with bigger players.

As stated, goaltending wasn't stellar but as a 16 year old, Blair made several key saves in the 2nd game, coming in cold and having his team disappear for awhile. He held the fort through the early going until several lightning quick shots and a breakaway got past him but most were from 67 vets so I give the kid a break on those.

I would have like to have seen Seatter out there but as I understand it, he had to attend Carelton Place's camp the same weekend.

Other impressions... much of the D play was unimpressive - especially on black where they couldn't seem to move the puck with any consistency. I thought McKee had a particularly tough time on day 2.

Another big impression was that the quality of play from the vets who ended up filling in for missing prospects. Ceci looked pretty good as a forward but several others really did not impress. Toffoli was obviously suffering from post NHL signing fever or something as he wasn't skating and had no hands - certainly not what you'd expect after the year he just had. Nesbitt acted like he was hoping to make the team again by hogging the puck and taking runs at people. And conversely, Martindale and Zanetti showed their annoyance when anyone dared to finish a hit on them.

I would have expected them to lead by example for the new guys and help the prospects show what they were capable of. The weekend was really about the prospects, not the vets but they had other ideas unfortunately.

sawagohabs4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Wait a second. Why was Nesbitt there? Isn't he done, his OHL career over? Don't tell me I missed this.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:29 AM
vegas

Rookies mini Camp

I think that the mini camp was to let some of the Rookies feel comfortable with the coaches and to get an idea of what they will expect at the end of the Summer from them come the real camp. I don't think any of them were under a microscope as it really is to early for that.

I think it was a nice way to say hey welcome and if you can impress us please do but if you can't you now know how hard you need to work this summer and what the format is come main camp.

Vegas

I don't think anyone hurt their chances of making the club from this camp.

As for trading players as mentioned in the earlier thread, I agree that Killer needs to make a big deal and bring in a second line winger and to 4 d'man , I think Martindale will be back and I think Monanhan will be a top three in scoring behind Toffoli and Prince. Also Smith really has to make an impact on the second line , he can't stay on the third line for his sake.

Old
06-09-2011, 11:13 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
I think that the mini camp was to let some of the Rookies feel comfortable with the coaches and to get an idea of what they will expect at the end of the Summer from them come the real camp. I don't think any of them were under a microscope as it really is to early for that.

I think it was a nice way to say hey welcome and if you can impress us please do but if you can't you now know how hard you need to work this summer and what the format is come main camp.

Vegas

I don't think anyone hurt their chances of making the club from this camp.

As for trading players as mentioned in the earlier thread, I agree that Killer needs to make a big deal and bring in a second line winger and to 4 d'man , I think Martindale will be back and I think Monanhan will be a top three in scoring behind Toffoli and Prince. Also Smith really has to make an impact on the second line , he can't stay on the third line for his sake.
Great posts Vegas, make sure you post more often here. 2 isn't nearly enough.

Old
06-10-2011, 02:04 PM
sawagohabs4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Wait a second. Why was Nesbitt there? Isn't he done, his OHL career over? Don't tell me I missed this.
Yes - he is done but I'm guessing he might have asked for the chance to get out for a skate as he was listed on the team rosters along with Ceci, Giftopolous, etc... Toffoli and Martindale were not on the rosters so were likely last minute add-ons for prospects who couldn't attend.

sawagohabs4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawagohabs4ever View Post
Yes - he is done but I'm guessing he might have asked for the chance to get out for a skate as he was listed on the team rosters along with Ceci, Giftopolous, etc... Toffoli and Martindale were not on the rosters so were likely last minute add-ons for prospects who couldn't attend.
Ahah. That's good to know.

Does anyone know if he's committed to going to a CIS school?

Old
06-11-2011, 08:40 PM
vegas

Team for 2011-12

Well I thought I would throw my prediction into the pot.

Here is how I see the 67's looking abit like to start the year.

Prince - Martindale - Tiffoli
smith - Monahan - Van Stralen
Perklin- Groavac - Janes
giftopoulos-Salerno -Foglia
Fontana

Zanetti- ceci
Cardwell-Cajkovsky
Luciani -Shipley
Fielding-Vlajkov

Goal
Mrazek
Campbell
And that would leave us with one OA spot which we could fill in a trade. Probably for a centre

The team does look very deep and looks like each line will be able to score for sure and what a tall and strong line the second line looks like....all big and tall.....ouch

Old
06-11-2011, 08:41 PM
hockeyalltheway
Get well soon, GMBM.

vCash: 611
Quote:

Perklin- Groavac - Janes
Fontana

Zanetti- ceci
Cardwell-Cajkovsky
Luciani -Shipley
Fielding-Vlajkov

Goal
Mrazek
Campbell
And that would leave us with one OA spot which we could fill in a trade. Probably for a centre

The team does look very deep and looks like each line will be able to score for sure and what a tall and strong line the second line looks like....all big and tall.....ouch
I second Manked (re: you need to post here more). Very insightful post. Can't find a single flaw in these lines. Should be a hell of a season!

Last edited by hockeyalltheway: 06-12-2011 at 02:27 PM.
hockeyalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:

Perklin- Groavac - Janes
Fontana

Zanetti- ceci
Cardwell-Cajkovsky
Luciani -Shipley
Fielding-Vlajkov

Goal
Mrazek
Campbell

I like it, but I'm not convinced Van Stralen is a 2nd liner.

I think Foglia may step up into that role this year, I think he has the potential to do so.

Prince-Monahan-Toffoli
Smith-Monahan-Foglia
Van Stralen-Graovac-Janes
Perklin-Salerno-Fontana

Spares: Giftopolous, Gustavsen

Zanetti-Ceci
Cardwell-Cajowsky
Luciani-Shipley

Spares: Fielding, Vlajkov

Mrazek
Campbell

Possible Trade Bait

Campbell- Played terrific last year, teams lacking a veteran starter may throw something for him.

Graovac- Not sure if he can play in a checking role, despite his size. Has the potential to step into a 2nd line role on the wing, and I think he is poised for a breakout, but Monahan has passed him on the depth chart. Could be used to acquire a prototypical 3rd line center.

Giftopolous- Doubt he has much value, but will most likely stay in the CJHL unless he starts scoring some goals.

Fielding- Probably won't get moved, but could be used to acquire a vet if Kilrea decides he wants to go all in.

Who do you think is better? Shipley or Fielding?

Old
06-12-2011, 02:41 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
I like it, but I'm not convinced Van Stralen is a 2nd liner.

I think Foglia may step up into that role this year, I think he has the potential to do so.

Prince-Monahan-Toffoli
Smith-Monahan-Foglia
Van Stralen-Graovac-Janes
Perklin-Salerno-Fontana

Spares: Giftopolous, Gustavsen

Zanetti-Ceci
Cardwell-Cajowsky
Luciani-Shipley

Spares: Fielding, Vlajkov

Mrazek
Campbell

Possible Trade Bait

Campbell- Played terrific last year, teams lacking a veteran starter may throw something for him.

Graovac- Not sure if he can play in a checking role, despite his size. Has the potential to step into a 2nd line role on the wing, and I think he is poised for a breakout, but Monahan has passed him on the depth chart. Could be used to acquire a prototypical 3rd line center.

Giftopolous- Doubt he has much value, but will most likely stay in the CJHL unless he starts scoring some goals.

Fielding- Probably won't get moved, but could be used to acquire a vet if Kilrea decides he wants to go all in.

Who do you think is better? Shipley or Fielding?
Just an FYI, unless something changes Salerno will not be in the OHL next year.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 02:43 PM
vegas

i myself like shipley's play at the end of the season better and I think he will become a solid d'man. I do think we are a bit weak on centre and right wing. Just think if martindale doesn't return then we really have to trae for a bonafide centre for the second line.

Old
06-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Just an FYI, unless something changes Salerno will not be in the OHL next year.
Why not? The only way Ottawa will convince him to stay OHL and forget NCAA is if they give him a spot on the team, don't you think?

Old
06-12-2011, 03:17 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
i myself like shipley's play at the end of the season better and I think he will become a solid d'man. I do think we are a bit weak on centre and right wing. Just think if martindale doesn't return then we really have to trae for a bonafide centre for the second line.
I think we're weak on bottom 6 centres, for sure. I'm quite content with our top 6 centres, and even think that Graovac is ready to step up in that well. Monahan too, without a doubt.

Prince-Monahan-Toffoli
Smith-Graovac-Foglia

If Martindale is gone, I wouldn't mind seeing that.

Old
06-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Why not? The only way Ottawa will convince him to stay OHL and forget NCAA is if they give him a spot on the team, don't you think?
Its not about a spot on the team. He could have had a spot on any team if he wanted it. His interest is in the NCAA not the OHL.

Old
06-13-2011, 10:28 AM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Its not about a spot on the team. He could have had a spot on any team if he wanted it. His interest is in the NCAA not the OHL.
He may have more interest in the NCAA but he has not ruled out the OHL. I believe he will choose Ottawa over Waterloo in the USHL.

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
He may have more interest in the NCAA but he has not ruled out the OHL. I believe he will choose Ottawa over Waterloo in the USHL.
Which is why I said that things could change.

My main point was that dont just expect him to come, he has options and being offered a spot on the team isnt going to change his viewpoint.

Old
06-13-2011, 08:40 PM
vegas

2011-12 team

As far as it looks now our first and second lines seem very strong and as good as any in the league and better then most. It is the third line that concerns me the most as it isn't as strong as I think it should be in order to be the top team of the league.

The fourth line is usually strong and pretty much kept for rookies. I don't think every veteran will make the team this year especially those we put in as fourth liners.

Our defense seems great and most likely stronger and more experienced then last year and Goal tending is probably the best tandum in the league for sure.

Killer really will have to address the third line before the end of the mid point of the season or christmas break.

Vegas

Old
06-14-2011, 11:02 AM
BMWGeoff

Luciani to Sarnia for a pick

BMWGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 01:25 PM
vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGeoff View Post
Luciani to Sarnia for a pick
I think that this was a good move as we need to make room for rookies and he really didn't contribute much except for his fighting ability.

Old
06-14-2011, 02:24 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

CANOE Sports

Quote:
The Ottawa 67’s dealt defenceman Julian Luciani to the Sarnia Sting on Monday for a fifth-round pick in the 2013 OHL draft.

GM Brian Kilrea said the trade will give Luciani a chance to get more playing time. The 67’s acquired Luciani from Belleville last season. In 39 games with Ottawa, he recorded three goals and eight points with 66 penalty minutes.
Obviously isn't that great a return, but I think Shipley and Fielding were going to both pass him on the depth charts anyways. With the addition of Cajkovsky, not surprised this happened.

Zanetti-Ceci
Cajkovsky-Cardwell
Fielding-Vlajkov
Shipley