HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Craigs list came true

Old
06-07-2011, 08:26 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
If Craigs list came true

Watching the latest video on TSN draftcenter... Craig is suggesting

1: Hopkins
2: Huberdeau
3: Landeskog
4: Murphy
5: Zibenadjed
6: Strome
7: Couterier
8: Larsson
9: Beaulieu
10: Brodin

Now... if this comes true my mind is going to be blown. Edmonton has to find a way to grab the 8th pick off of the Jackets. No, I'm not going to start another EDM/Columbus proposal... but they've just gotta make it happen!

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 08:29 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

There's NO way Larsson falls to 8, imo.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 08:41 AM
40oz

I'd take a run at Hamilton if he dropped to 11

40oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 08:47 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 50
Well, I agree with his top-2.

That's something.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
You'd be crazy not to, again, I don't think he falls out of the top-10, his raw tools are too impressive.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 09:00 AM
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes

Screw going after Larsson at 8. Id go after Couturier at 7.

TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 09:00 AM
Joe Hallenback

woot Couturier to the Jets!

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 09:16 AM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Watching the latest video on TSN draftcenter... Craig is suggesting

1: Hopkins
2: Huberdeau
3: Landeskog
4: Murphy
5: Zibenadjed
6: Strome
7: Couterier
8: Larsson
9: Beaulieu
10: Brodin

Now... if this comes true my mind is going to be blown. Edmonton has to find a way to grab the 8th pick off of the Jackets. No, I'm not going to start another EDM/Columbus proposal... but they've just gotta make it happen!

Yeah i saw this too, but i'm not too shocked that Larsson fell that far, i've said it a few times that he is not 1st overall material IMO, as he had no offense this year (even if that wasnt his role on the team this year, 9pts in 37GP doesnt exactly knock my socks off for a supposed top prospect, especially one that is being compared to Lidstrom, who brings it at both ends of the rink)...i said this in one post and got flamed by Renegade Stylings (an Avs fan btw) basically calling me an idiot and that i must not have seen him play, etc etc, then i saw him post a couple weeks later that he would probably take a couple of different players before Larsson (for the Avs, that is, not for the Oilers), which i thought was quite hypocritical of him after what he said to me. Not too sure how he fell below Mika Z though. And Brodin in the top 10? Ahead of Hamilton and Siemens? I dont know how much stock i would put into Button's picks, he could be bang on, could be way off, who knows this year.

Looks like the mem cup might have an impact again this year on the draft.

And did anyone else see RNH standing beside Seguin? Seguin is what, 6'1"? RNH looked to be a few inches shorter than him, i would like to know how he is listed at just under 6'1" since i saw him once this year live and he looked much shorter than his teammates when they were standing on the ice for the anthem and again last night he looked to be much shorter than Seguin...just an obsevation, doesnt mean i dont like the kid or anything, he's obviously a good player.

TimeForAnOilChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 09:22 AM
nsoilfan

look at the 2 d men last year the fell....this year could be the same if we had a shot at one of the top 5 d in the draft id take any of them. if larsson fell and we could get him with the 31 and 19th it would be epic.

nsoilfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Asher

I think Craig needs to stop making these lists, or at the very least I need to stop reading them.

At least he has the Oilers taking RNH now. IIRC an earlier list had them taking someone else, and it wasn't even Larsson.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 09:27 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Dude who wouldn't?

He's probably ready to play in the nhl.

Really sucks that we're not deep enough at at one position to trade away assets to stock up on prospects at this draft.

Old
06-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Beerfish

His lists have been off the wall but many a time in the past players have fallen thus totally screwing all the 'best' mock drafts. MPS was not supposed to last until 10th, Fowler was not supposed to last as long as he did.

I would say the chances of the Oilers trading up are very very very slim. Tambellini is not light on his feet and able to make sudden decisions, or at least he has not shown that in his tenure. Perhaps if he works out a trade with Columbus well in advance we might have a chance but I'd be shocked if we move up even though I am with the rest of you and would love to do so under the right circumstances.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 09:32 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsoilfan View Post
look at the 2 d men last year the fell....this year could be the same if we had a shot at one of the top 5 d in the draft id take any of them. if larsson fell and we could get him with the 31 and 19th it would be epic.
Even if he did fall at some point a team with the next pick has to say "these guys are idiots. What is this stud doing available to us at 8th overall?" And they'll want an overpayment for the pick. I'm thinking mps+19th at the cheapest unless we're missing on a huge flaw in larsson.

Old
06-07-2011, 09:41 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
His lists have been off the wall but many a time in the past players have fallen thus totally screwing all the 'best' mock drafts. MPS was not supposed to last until 10th, Fowler was not supposed to last as long as he did.

I would say the chances of the Oilers trading up are very very very slim. Tambellini is not light on his feet and able to make sudden decisions, or at least he has not shown that in his tenure. Perhaps if he works out a trade with Columbus well in advance we might have a chance but I'd be shocked if we move up even though I am with the rest of you and would love to do so under the right circumstances.
you have to appreciate the fact that tambolini doesn't have a lot to work with.

We don't have enough proven talent at a single position to make big deals at times.

Hall and eberle need to be off limits.

Trade mps and then you've got a void on the wing.

Trade gagner now when his value is probably low could seriously bite us in the ass down the road when he starts looking good at the age of 25.

At this point is possible that only a gm like sather could convince a tean to ignore hensky's injury history and pay for his full value. If hensky stays healthy next season I think he'll get traded for 20% more value than we got for penner.

There isn't much more to trade away after that. Omark is still unproven and only a gambler is gonna pay big for him.

No way in hell we can afford to lose gilbert or whitny

Old
06-07-2011, 10:38 AM
Beerfish

you have to appreciate the fact that tambolini doesn't have a lot to work with.

We don't have enough proven talent at a single position to make big deals at times.

We have draft picks to trade up and the well players with some value, Hemsky, Cogliano, Gilbert, Smid are all guys that could be dealt under the right circumstances.

Hall and eberle need to be off limits.

Absolutely.

Trade mps and then you've got a void on the wing.

Absolutely.

Trade gagner now when his value is probably low could seriously bite us in the ass down the road when he starts looking good at the age of 25.

Absolutely.

At this point is possible that only a gm like sather could convince a tean to ignore hensky's injury history and pay for his full value. If hensky stays healthy next season I think he'll get traded for 20% more value than we got for penner.

Hemksy was at his all time high value at the deadline last year and was not shopped hard. thus I expect him to be resigned, if not it's bad asset management.

There isn't much more to trade away after that. Omark is still unproven and only a gambler is gonna pay big for him.

Omark should not be traded.

No way in hell we can afford to lose gilbert or whitny

We can easily afford to lose Gilbert.

In any case my post was not meant to out line numerous trade scenarios but to express my opinion that our front office is very cautious and will only seem to work on one thing at a time and not be ready to make a quick move if the opportunity arises. If we got a phone call 5 minutes before a pick was made offering the pick for some of our players I do not see our gm as the decisive take cahrge kind of guy to leap at the opportunity.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Calgary Oilers

vCash: 50
I think the Islanders are the wild card in the early part of the draft. I wouldn't be surprised if they drafted Murphy or Zibenadjed with the 5th pick.

Calgary Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 11:28 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Dude who wouldn't?

He's probably ready to play in the nhl.

Really sucks that we're not deep enough at at one position to trade away assets to stock up on prospects at this draft.
Once again, I have to say, Dougie Hamilton is NOT ready to play in the NHL. Probably 2 years away still.

notloilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
Once again, I have to say, Dougie Hamilton is NOT ready to play in the NHL. Probably 2 years away still.
And are the Oil going to be a cup contender in the next 2 years? I dont think so. Any d-man you draft is probably at least 5-7 years away from the top of his game but you have to do it. If you can get a guy that turns into a Shea Weber or a Duncan Keith then you do it, and despite all the talk about picking those guys up late in the draft or getting them in a trade I think you'll find they tend to stick with the team that drafted them. Trick is you cant rush their progress.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Agent Zero

Larsson doesn't get past the Islanders. They need help on the back end as much as we do.

Agent Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 11:59 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForAnOilChange View Post
And did anyone else see RNH standing beside Seguin? Seguin is what, 6'1"? RNH looked to be a few inches shorter than him, i would like to know how he is listed at just under 6'1" since i saw him once this year live and he looked much shorter than his teammates when they were standing on the ice for the anthem and again last night he looked to be much shorter than Seguin...just an obsevation, doesnt mean i dont like the kid or anything, he's obviously a good player.
I met Ryan Nugent-Hopkins briefly about a year and a half ago. He was slightly taller than me then, and I'm 5"11. So I believe the 6"1 number, FWIW.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 12:06 PM
nafrelio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
woot Couturier to the Jets!
That's what I was thinking. A lot of mock drafts have Strome going to the Jets, but I'm not sure the Jets want to go with Strome and Burmistrov as their top 2 centres because of their small stature. That would be like, I don't know, the Oilers going with RNH and Gagner.

Edit: In before someone saying "BPA"

nafrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 12:11 PM
the word*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Oilers View Post
I think the Islanders are the wild card in the early part of the draft. I wouldn't be surprised if they drafted Murphy or Zibenadjed with the 5th pick.
History shows this may well be true because the Islanders have gone off the board on multiple occasions with assorted GM's at the helm.

Could it be when one GM, makes a selection off the board, then other teams directly after them rearrange their lists and do the same when they are on the clock to make their selection.

Maybe this year the islanders go off the board, then Burke starts harassing Murry again, maybe about Kadri, confusion prevails, and Hamilton drops to 19. Pierre blows chocolate milk out of his nose.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBusDriver View Post
Screw going after Larsson at 8. Id go after Couturier at 7.
Same. That'd be unreal. RNH and Couturier in the same draft.

Wow

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 12:48 PM
frag2

Hemsky and 19, hell maybe add in 31, would probably get into the top 10. Overpay? Yea...but thats the price these days in top draft picks

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 12:50 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Hemsky and 19, hell maybe add in 31, would probably get into the top 10. Overpay? Yea...but thats the price these days in top draft picks
It'd be worth it.

Although, I'd try to ship Gagner off before Hemsky if it meant we were getting two centres, honestly.

With RNH and Couturier on our depth charts Hemsky has much more worth to the team than Gagner.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote