HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Who would Preds be willing to move to get Stastny

Old
06-03-2011, 03:49 AM
Ivan13
Problem child

vCash: 50
Who would Preds be willing to move to get Stastny

First of all I want to congratulate you on your teams good performance in playoffs.

On Avs board, I've started a thread where we speculate what would Staz bring us if he's being shoped (in reality he's not being shoped, nor would any Avs fan want to see him leave, but we could hypotheticaly assume that he's put on the market).

You guys really need offensive help, wich was obvious during the VAN series. Would you guys be willing to trade one of Webber (not straight up, I know this is highly unlikely, if not impossible), Suter (Staz=Suter in my mind, but you have every right to disagree), or Blum (a little something added by you).

Avs are looking for defensive help (top pairing guy), goalie that can play next year but also has some upside (not talking about Rinne, what do you guys think about Dekanich, or Lindback), or top 6 wingers with high upside.

Hope you guys win the cup in the next couple of years.

Beat the Dead Things!!!!!!!!!!

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 06:15 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Anyone not named Weber\Suter\Rinne as the basis, and I'm in.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 06:55 AM
Firestorm

If we took on Statsny, we would have something like $24M in cap for four players (Weber/Suter/Rinne/Stats)

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 07:12 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Suter is a top 5-10 defenseman. Stastny is not a top 10 forward. He is also paid handsomely for his contribuations. With that said, I think he is a very good player, but I think the return would be less than one of our cornerstones of the franchise.

06-03-2011, 08:21 AM
glenngineer

I would consider Wilson, Franson and Lindback to be quite honest or maybe just Wilson and Lindback.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 09:18 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

The trouble with Statsny is his salary. Colorado would have to take salary back in the form of Dumont or Lombardi. I'd be ok with sending one of Blum, Lindback, Dex, or Wilson your way, but the rest would have to be evened out with a non-bluechip prospect or picks. Unless you would take Franson, Wilson, and Dumont. I'd be ok with that since the Avs would be doing us a favor in the salary dump. I think giving up Lindback, too, in that deal would be too much. I have to agree that Suter has greater value than Statsny. Not just to the teams, but in general. An incredibly strong argument can be made for Suter being the best player (non-goalie) on our team. He is a top-10, maybe even top-5, defenseman in the league.

Statsny seemed to have had an off year. Was it just because of the team itself, or was he playing hurt?

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 11:42 AM
SilasAdams

wilson
franson
dumont (dump his last year salary)

SilasAdams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Top 6 Spaling

To take a little different angle than most:

Erat, Franson, Lindback
or
Erat, Ellis, Dekanich (better D, worse goalie)

Involving Erat gives you a top 6 winger and evens out the money. That might be an overpayment, but I love me some Paully S

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 03:01 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
To take a little different angle than most:

Erat, Franson, Lindback
or
Erat, Ellis, Dekanich (better D, worse goalie)

Involving Erat gives you a top 6 winger and evens out the money. That might be an overpayment, but I love me some Paully S
I'd do both of those, but I would say Lindy and Dex are about equal. I'd let Colorado pick their choice of D prospect and goalie and we can add Erat or something. It'd definately be worth it.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 02:47 AM
Ivan13
Problem child

Avs will want one of Suter or Blum as basis of the deal.
As for Staz not being among the best 10 forwards, compairing wingers and centers doesn't work. Center is a premiere position in the NHL. In order of importance:
1. Center 2. Defensmen 3. Wingers, Goalies
I base those opinions on the fact that goalies are dime a dozen in NHL today.

Centers I would rather have than Staz, in no particular order: Crosby, Malkin, Thornton, Toews (never hit Stastny's point total in single season, but his leadership is an valuable asset), E. Staal, Kopitar, Backstrom (he did hit 100, but he was centering Ovi, i think Staz could hit 100 if he played Ovi's center), Datsyuk, Sedin, Stamkos.

To all of you bashing Staz because he hit only 57 points, bare in mind he played injured for 2nd half of the season, and he had AHL talent on his wings for most of the season.

Defensmen I would take before Suter: Weber, Keith, Doughty, Lidstrom, Chara, Subban (potential), Yandle, Boyle, Seabrook, Pietrangelo (potential), Myers (potential).

In my mind Suter for Stastny is fair trade, you guys have some really impressive defensive depth in your prospect pool, so I thought that you could be willing to deal Suter. Bare in mind proven #1 centers in NHL don't come cheap, and Staz surely is one, and on top of that because he's one of better 2-way centers, so he could fit perfectly in your gameplan.

And for you proposing Erat, Franson, Lindback for Staz, would you take Yip, Barrie, Patterson for Suter, I highly doubt it.

Old
06-04-2011, 02:53 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post

And for you proposing Erat, Franson, Lindback for Staz, would you take Yip, Barrie, Patterson for Suter, I highly doubt it.
Erat>Yip, Franson>Barrie, Lindback>Patterson

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 03:37 AM
Ivan13
Problem child

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Erat>Yip, Franson>Barrie, Lindback>Patterson
They are i won't argue that, but you sholud get my point, we won't trade our #1 center for a RW who struggles to hit 20 goals (we have Hejduk, and Jones who are better, so Erat would be 3rd liner at best), a 2nd pairing defensmen in Franson (we have enough of that in Liles, Quincey etc.), and a backup goalie. We need either a top pairing d-man (you would be dealing from a position of strenght, since you have Blum, Josi etc), or a starting goalie (you won't give up Rinne wich is understandable), or top level wingers (wich you don't have).

Last edited by Ivan13: 06-04-2011 at 04:16 AM.
Old
06-04-2011, 12:07 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Avs will want one of Suter or Blum as basis of the deal.
As for Staz not being among the best 10 forwards, compairing wingers and centers doesn't work. Center is a premiere position in the NHL. In order of importance:
1. Center 2. Defensmen 3. Wingers, Goalies
I base those opinions on the fact that goalies are dime a dozen in NHL today.

Centers I would rather have than Staz, in no particular order: Crosby, Malkin, Thornton, Toews (never hit Stastny's point total in single season, but his leadership is an valuable asset), E. Staal, Kopitar, Backstrom (he did hit 100, but he was centering Ovi, i think Staz could hit 100 if he played Ovi's center), Datsyuk, Sedin, Stamkos.

To all of you bashing Staz because he hit only 57 points, bare in mind he played injured for 2nd half of the season, and he had AHL talent on his wings for most of the season.

Defensmen I would take before Suter: Weber, Keith, Doughty, Lidstrom, Chara, Subban (potential), Yandle, Boyle, Seabrook, Pietrangelo (potential), Myers (potential).

In my mind Suter for Stastny is fair trade, you guys have some really impressive defensive depth in your prospect pool, so I thought that you could be willing to deal Suter. Bare in mind proven #1 centers in NHL don't come cheap, and Staz surely is one, and on top of that because he's one of better 2-way centers, so he could fit perfectly in your gameplan.

First of all, I don't see anyone bashing anyone in this thread. The only person who even brought up his 57 point season was me, and I did so in asking if he was playing hurt or if the team playing poorly just hindered his production. It's a legitimate question.

Second, I respect your opinion, but in mine the only defensemen on your list of who you would take before Suter (implying they are better than Suter in your mind) that I agree with would be Weber, Chara, MAYBE Boyle (probably not), and Lidstrom, but Lidstrom gets the nod simply because of his career. He is likely done after next season if he isn't already. It can be argued that Suter is better than Weber. He is certainly better than Doughty, Seabrook, and Yandle. As good as Keith. Potential is fine and all, but I don't see Subban or Myers being better, and I think it's questionable whether or not they will be as good. Of the "potential" guys I think Pietrangelo is the closest to being as-good-as-if-not-better-than. At the end of the day we're still talking about a guy who can make a case to be top 5 in the league RIGHT NOW. Not potentially. He is there. And he has room to get better.

Third, we do have some impressive potential on D, but Suteri s the real deal and we know it. Blum has the chance of becoming as good as Suter, but he isn't yet. Suter makes not only his partner better, but his entire team better. He's just that good of an all around player. I'm not knocking Statsny, and I do agree that legitimate number 1 centers are hard to come by. I'd submit that legitimate number 1 defensemen, especially one in or close to top 5 in the league, are also hard to come by. I think this is a case where one side wants a player that, in reality, would take an overpayment to get, and the other side wants to land a top center without giving up a top defenseman. It just wouldn't work (if trade negotiations were left up to us fans anyway)

I just don't see how trading Suter for Statsny right now would do anything to not only keep our window open, but to actually help us climb into the "favorites" category. It would help our offense, but I think the immediate impact to our blueline would be too great. The biggest issue with trying to get a top pairing defenseman out of Nashville is that we already let Hamhuis walk. Weber and Suter aren't just number one guys, but they are elite number one guys.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 06-04-2011 at 12:14 PM.
ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Ivan13
Problem child

I'm well aware of the fact that for now your guys in the system have only potential, but i tought that you might be willing to move Suter for a proven #1 center since it was painfully obvious that you lack an offensive threat to go along with your great D and goaltending. To get Stastny you would have to overpay.

As for Suter being a top 5 defender, you have a right to your opinion, just as I have. I believe that Suter reached or he's very close of reaching his potential, while guys like Doughty, Subban, Yandle, Myers, and Pietrangelo have a better offensive potential , while being very good in their own end, while Seabrook is around as good as Suter. Again that's only my opinion, and you have every right to disagree.

Old
06-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
I'm well aware of the fact that for now your guys in the system have only potential, but i tought that you might be willing to move Suter for a proven #1 center since it was painfully obvious that you lack an offensive threat to go along with your great D and goaltending. To get Stastny you would have to overpay.

As for Suter being a top 5 defender, you have a right to your opinion, just as I have. I believe that Suter reached or he's very close of reaching his potential, while guys like Doughty, Subban, Yandle, Myers, and Pietrangelo have a better offensive potential , while being very good in their own end, while Seabrook is around as good as Suter. Again that's only my opinion, and you have every right to disagree.
Hon, I not only disagree, I laugh and shake my head at this assessment of Suter, especially with regards to Seabrook.

Seabrook compares to Suter as a team's #2 defenseman the same way Kesler compares to Malkin as a team's #2 center. Yeah, he's amazing and all... but c'mon. Be serious.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 07:32 PM
predfan24

Quote:

The Preds aren't going to overpay for a guy like Stastny. He is a very good player but I wouldn't want him for anything just because of his contract and he is a very "quiet" player. If we are going to give a forward more than 6.5 mill on a long term contract he better be a guy who has top tier talent. I like Stastny and he is constantly underrated because he doesn't have a lot of top end skills but he does produce.

I guess what I'm trying to say if Suter isn't being moved for anything less than an equal top tier forward and even if I personally thought the deal was acceptable I don't like Stastny's contract for our team.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 08:29 AM
Ivan13
Problem child

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
The Preds aren't going to overpay for a guy like Stastny. He is a very good player but I wouldn't want him for anything just because of his contract and he is a very "quiet" player. If we are going to give a forward more than 6.5 mill on a long term contract he better be a guy who has top tier talent. I like Stastny and he is constantly underrated because he doesn't have a lot of top end skills but he does produce.

I guess what I'm trying to say if Suter isn't being moved for anything less than an equal top tier forward and even if I personally thought the deal was acceptable I don't like Stastny's contract for our team.
Good luck trying to find 25 year old great 2-way PPG first line center for less than 6.6 mil. And for that quiet part, you try to be flashy when the opposing team focuses only on you since your linemate are all AHLers.

Last edited by Ivan13: 06-06-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old
06-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Anyone not named Weber\Suter\Rinne as the basis, and I'm in.
this

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea Weber View Post
this
Shea, is that really you?

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 12:53 PM
Everlong
-

Something like Wilson/Franson/Lindback could do the trick. I know not many want to trade Wilson but he may be our best chip to acquire an elite player. Statsny is quiet though, I would have to think hard about how he'd fit into our system.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 01:01 PM
SavageSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
Something like Wilson/Franson/Lindback could do the trick. I know not many want to trade Wilson but he may be our best chip to acquire an elite player. Statsny is quiet though, I would have to think hard about how he'd fit into our system.
But when he is on, Stastny is someone I REALLY like to watch regardless of what team he is on. If the Av's would take that deal and it would work for Shea to take maybe less cash in a deal long-term to have a real shot at winning the big shiny thing here, I'm all for it even if it raises my ticket prices modestly.

SavageSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
I think Stastny would be the perfect fit for your system. He's a very responsible two-way player, gives all his effort, is strong along the boards, and plays well in all situations. He doesn't have any elite physical tools, so all of his production is due to his high hockey IQ. His style is best complemented by guys who play a straight up north-south game, nothing fancy.

That said, I don't think we make great trading partners.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote