HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Edmontons 2012 pick

Old
06-04-2011, 10:10 PM
jukon
#Nailedit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
I don't know Mckenzie and Button didn't have him in their top 10. They didn't even mention his name.
McKenzie doesn't talk about 2012 and I'm pretty sure Button hasn't yet either. Button is a joke though so it wouldn't surprise me.

Galchenyuk is top 5.

jukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 11:20 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Oh for some reason I thought Galchenyuk was eligible this year.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 07:53 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilersPride04 View Post
Unless edmonton picks up another top 5 pick or drafts larrson, there gonna be picking murray or ebbert over yakupov . Theyve been lacking that number 1 D since 06 so it makes sense to do it
Whomever picks #1 next year WILL pick Yakupov... I will bet on that. In my opinion, he isn't just a "good prospect"... he's a prospect that is as good as it gets outside of a Gretzky/Lemieux/Crosby type generational player. From what I've seen he has 50+ goal scorer potential in the NHL. I don't even think of his "smallish" size when I watch him play... he is just that dynamic and talented that his skills far outweigh any size deficiencies he "might" have.

I think the only player that could be drafted ahead of him based on talent is Grigorenko but he's got the Russian factor stigma hanging over his head so he'll likely be picked behind Yakupov.

You've got another uber talented Russion in this year's draft... Kucherov who will likely go in the 2nd round somewhere because of the Russian factor and the likelihood that he'll be playing in the KHL for at least a few years.

I'm on the record as a card carrying member of the "Fail for Nail" and "No winnin' fer MacKinnon" clubs.

There's 2 "best" paths to travel down... either shoot for the Cup or draft #1 overall... they aren't ready to win a cup next year or the year after so they might as well draft franchise players and build up a powerhouse down the line.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 04:52 PM
OilersPride04

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post
McKenzie doesn't talk about 2012 and I'm pretty sure Button hasn't yet either. Button is a joke though so it wouldn't surprise me.

Galchenyuk is top 5.
LOL he thinks huberdeau will be drafted by the avs .

OilersPride04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 04:56 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUAIOMRN View Post
FTFY
What a pointless post. How does wanting to tank for a player comparable to Ovechkin in skill make a person horny for prospects?

Maybe we just want the final piece to the puzzle?

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 05:18 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Wow I see the Yakupov hype train is going full steam ahead, starting up extra early, this is some crazy **** I'm hearing about him. Is he really that good? I've seen the YT clips and whatnot, those are impressive. What position does he play? And I thought MacKinnon was 2013 eligible. I somehow doubt the Oilers finish low enough to pick him up. Still probably top 5 pick though, I think they'll be around 4 or 5. What about that Galchenyuk fellow, he's a centre and he sounds pretty damn good himself.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 06:26 PM
No user

Yakupov seems like a hard working guy with nice hands and great patience. But does anyone know any more about him?

Galchenyuk's got a wicked shot, thanks to his quick release and a bomb of a wrist shot. That's all I know about him as I suck at "scouting".

No user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 12:01 AM
Mr Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Wow I see the Yakupov hype train is going full steam ahead, starting up extra early, this is some crazy **** I'm hearing about him. Is he really that good? I've seen the YT clips and whatnot, those are impressive. What position does he play? And I thought MacKinnon was 2013 eligible. I somehow doubt the Oilers finish low enough to pick him up. Still probably top 5 pick though, I think they'll be around 4 or 5. What about that Galchenyuk fellow, he's a centre and he sounds pretty damn good himself.
Yeah Galchenyuk is a tank with unreal hands apparently, but nobody knows whether he wants to play in Russia or not.

Old
06-07-2011, 12:04 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
Yeah Galchenyuk is a tank with unreal hands apparently, but nobody knows whether he wants to play in Russia or not.

Nevermind, was thinking about someone else.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 12:12 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
Alex Galchenyuk is the Russian-American. He wants to play for the USA.

I think you might mean Mikhail Grigorenko. He's the Russian who might be a wildcard.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 12:15 AM
Mr Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Alex Galchenyuk is the Russian-American. He wants to play for the USA.

I think you might mean Mikhail Grigorenko. He's the Russian who might be a wildcard.
Yeah, I knew it was one of the two.

Old
06-07-2011, 12:18 AM
Mav3rick07
Hall-Hopkins-Yakupov

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Anyone with a brain?
Anyone who cares about success and is smart enough to realize that our young core of players is solid enough and ready for playoff action would want to start winning, come next season .... And if you bothered to watch any of the games last season, you'd be capable of undestanding the skill level of our dressing room and injures were the simple factor that brought us down and now we're adding another # 1 pick to our team .... There's no shot we'll finish in the basement, the Oilers are clearly ready to compete....

Maybe you should become an Islanders fan with that mindset ? Us Edmontonions love success ...

Mav3rick07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 12:23 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav3rick07 View Post
Anyone who cares about success and is smart enough to realize that our young core of players is solid enough and ready for playoff action would want to start winning, come next season .... And if you bothered to watch any of the games last season, you'd be capable of undestanding the skill level of our dressing room and injures were the simple factor that brought us down and now we're adding another # 1 pick to our team .... There's no shot we'll finish in the basement, the Oilers are clearly ready to compete....

Maybe you should become an Islanders fan with that mindset ? Us Edmontonions love success ...
Ok big boy. You can want to start winning all you want, but until we have the personnel to do so, it isnt going to matter. Right now we dont. Simple as that.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 12:24 AM
Hoogaar23

Quote:

Wow - lots of venom don't you think? He feels we still need more pieces to be a contender for the Cup and is OK with it. You feel we are ready to challenge for the playoffs and are OK with it.

Me? I would love to see us have home ice for a playoff round for the first time since what, 1988?

The whole point of this rebuild is not so we can just reach the playoffs, it is to hopefully be perennial contenders for the Cup. Lots of people are not interested in just going back to the annual mad dash for 8th. You get stuck because you can't jettison UFAs to improve your future because you are still in the hunt, but you can't really go shopping too much because you don't even know if you'll make it to the dance or not.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 02:11 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Whomever picks #1 next year WILL pick Yakupov... I will bet on that. In my opinion, he isn't just a "good prospect"... he's a prospect that is as good as it gets outside of a Gretzky/Lemieux/Crosby type generational player. From what I've seen he has 50+ goal scorer potential in the NHL. I don't even think of his "smallish" size when I watch him play... he is just that dynamic and talented that his skills far outweigh any size deficiencies he "might" have.

I think the only player that could be drafted ahead of him based on talent is Grigorenko but he's got the Russian factor stigma hanging over his head so he'll likely be picked behind Yakupov.

You've got another uber talented Russion in this year's draft... Kucherov who will likely go in the 2nd round somewhere because of the Russian factor and the likelihood that he'll be playing in the KHL for at least a few years.

I'm on the record as a card carrying member of the "Fail for Nail" and "No winnin' fer MacKinnon" clubs.

There's 2 "best" paths to travel down... either shoot for the Cup or draft #1 overall... they aren't ready to win a cup next year or the year after so they might as well draft franchise players and build up a powerhouse down the line.

I think I'm on the same page as you on this one.

Many Oilers can complain that Edmonton has been rebuilding for the past 17 or so seasons.

In the early to mid 90's we drafted garbage for the most part and a good number of the good players we did draft got scared away or we couldn't afford to hold onto them.

Kevin Lowe stepped in and made a few mad drafting decisions, a few horrible trade decisions and then when we made it all the way to the finals most of the meat and potatoes of our roster screwed off via free agency.

One could argue that this will be draft 2 or 3 of our current rebuild and we've got a few choices. We and rush it or just take our time. I'd like to see us nab a franchise center or defenseman. I'm still not totally convinced that Hall will be a franchice caliber player. Surely a good 1st line forward, but we need more than that.

Another year of playing in the basement of the league will do us some good. After next season we'll have drafted a lot of quality players and a lot of our prospects who have been developing rapidly will be fighting for roster spots.

During this period of time the hockey world will see us rapidly improve as L.A has over the past few seasons and at that point we'll be able to attract the interest of quality free agents who want to go somewhere to win instead of just going somewhere to get paid a ton of money like Souray.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Mav3rick07
Hall-Hopkins-Yakupov

I understand the significance of stacking up on young talent, and to not get caught up in attempting to just "make the playoffs" each season. However, 2 straight of years finishing dead last and acquiring Hall and Hopkins, with the addition of Eberle, Paajarvi, Omark, Hemsky, Gagner, Cogliano, Hartikainen and Dubnyk and 13 Million of free cap space, I think we're d promising enough to not only become more desirable to big name free agents but also talented enough to compete at a bigger level then the basement of the NHL.

Old
06-07-2011, 12:27 PM
vocks10

Quote:
I understand the significance of stacking up on young talent, and to not get caught up in attempting to just "make the playoffs" each season. However, 2 straight of years finishing dead last and acquiring Hall and Hopkins, with the addition of Eberle, Paajarvi, Omark, Hemsky, Gagner, Cogliano, Hartikainen and Dubnyk and 13 Million of free cap space, I think we're d promising enough to not only become more desirable to big name free agents but also talented enough to compete at a bigger level then the basement of the NHL.
I tend to agree with you. I believe there is enough talent on the team to start showing some progress next season, probably not playoffs but progress and not last place. But there is a distinct divide on the Oil board. Some people who want to keep stocking the cupboard with prospect at the expense of wins, others who want to see progress and you're not going to change either sides mind. That's good and fine and since we're all armchair GMs we'll see how things turn out.

However my 2 cents, I don't see how the team still needs to tank the next couple seasons in order to achieve these elusive cups. Yes, Pitts retooled through the draft, 4 top 5 picks, but they are the exception. None of the other top teams had that many top picks, if you break it down and look at the rosters I don't believe you need multiple top 5 picks to win.

Wash- 2 top 5 picks (Ovechkin, Backstrom). Semin was 13, Green, Carlson, their goalies were later picks.
Boston- Chara (FA), Lucic, Krejci later 1st rounders, Horton trade
Van- Sedins top 5 picks, Luongo, Erhoff trades, Edler, Kesler later round picks
Philly- JVR was a top pick might have just made the leap, Timonen, Pronger were trades, Richards, Carter, Giroux all later 1st rounders
Chi- Toews, Kane top 5, Hossa (FA) Seabrook was a top 10, Sharp was a trade, Keith, Neimi/Crawford later picks.

In summary, you do not need 4-5 years of top 5 picks to win a cup. Pittsburgh is the only team to do so. What you need is to make your picks, wherever they are count (especially the 1st rounders). And with the scouting staff in place now I have faith in the Oilers and won't buy into this Fail for Nail, or No Winning for McKinnon. Granted, FAs might not be looking this direction yet, but that should soon change, at least we can hope (well that and Tambo can swing some good deals).

vocks10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

With Hall on this team, losing will not be an option. The kid is a winner, expect the winning to start soon.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Arpeggio

Obviously I want Yakupov to be an Oiler, but I don't really want to sit through another last place season, nor do I think the Oilers will finish last place. If RNH makes the team, and Tambellini improves the defence a little, I can see them putting it together a bit this season.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 12:56 PM
ZugNugget

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocks10 View Post
I tend to agree with you. I believe there is enough talent on the team to start showing some progress next season, probably not playoffs but progress and not last place. But there is a distinct divide on the Oil board. Some people who want to keep stocking the cupboard with prospect at the expense of wins, others who want to see progress and you're not going to change either sides mind. That's good and fine and since we're all armchair GMs we'll see how things turn out.

However my 2 cents, I don't see how the team still needs to tank the next couple seasons in order to achieve these elusive cups. Yes, Pitts retooled through the draft, 4 top 5 picks, but they are the exception. None of the other top teams had that many top picks, if you break it down and look at the rosters I don't believe you need multiple top 5 picks to win.

Wash- 2 top 5 picks (Ovechkin, Backstrom). Semin was 13, Green, Carlson, their goalies were later picks.
Boston- Chara (FA), Lucic, Krejci later 1st rounders, Horton trade
Van- Sedins top 5 picks, Luongo, Erhoff trades, Edler, Kesler later round picks
Philly- JVR was a top pick might have just made the leap, Timonen, Pronger were trades, Richards, Carter, Giroux all later 1st rounders
Chi- Toews, Kane top 5, Hossa (FA) Seabrook was a top 10, Sharp was a trade, Keith, Neimi/Crawford later picks.

In summary, you do not need 4-5 years of top 5 picks to win a cup. Pittsburgh is the only team to do so. What you need is to make your picks, wherever they are count (especially the 1st rounders). And with the scouting staff in place now I have faith in the Oilers and won't buy into this Fail for Nail, or No Winning for McKinnon. Granted, FAs might not be looking this direction yet, but that should soon change, at least we can hope (well that and Tambo can swing some good deals).
The bolded should not be considered model franchises until they win a cup. Also, all that list has shown me is a ton of luck is vital in building a contender. Alex Edler at 91st overall from a third-tier Swedish junior team... Sure the Canucks scouting staff probably saw something in him, but if they knew he would be a top pairing defender, he would have been picked much earlier.

Top picks mitigate some of that chance, because you draft more sure-things at the top of a draft.

Until it's clear that we have players that at least PROJECT to fill all of our holes (1st line center and top pairing defenseman at the very least), we should stay the course, IMO.

ZugNugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
I think the Oilers are going to be a lot better this year...not playoffs better, but better nonetheless. I do not see us picking top 5 in 2012. Which could be a good thing for development, or a bad thing regarding picks. There sure is allot of hype for some of these Russians on here.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 01:19 PM
vocks10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugNugget View Post
The bolded should not be considered model franchises until they win a cup. Also, all that list has shown me is a ton of luck is vital in building a contender. Alex Edler at 91st overall from a third-tier Swedish junior team... Sure the Canucks scouting staff probably saw something in him, but if they knew he would be a top pairing defender, he would have been picked much earlier.

Top picks mitigate some of that chance, because you draft more sure-things at the top of a draft.

Until it's clear that we have players that at least PROJECT to fill all of our holes (1st line center and top pairing defenseman at the very least), we should stay the course, IMO.
Luck is a huge factor, I'd argue the biggest in building a team. The high picks do mitigate some of that luck/chance, but if you want to keep drafting high to fill the holes, you'll be pulling a Florida and drafting there forever. 1C this year, 1D next year, #1 goalie the next? My point is you'll never have enough draft picks to fill all the needs and you need luck on your side to fill some of those holes (if only the Oilers had some of that luck). Right now most fans pencil in Eberle as the future 1st line RW, and i read "if we tank for another year maybe we can get Yakupov." We have a player projected to fill that role but fans want that new shiny toy in the window instead.

As for the bolded teams, no they haven't won the Cup, but most of them are Cup contenders annually and should be good for the foreseeable future. I'd rather cheer for a franchise like Philly or it pains me to say this Washington (just threw up a little) compared to the Canes who won a cup but have also missed the playoffs 6 of the past 10 years. And those teams weren't built from multiple top 5 picks. You can't build a perfect team and guarantee Cups. With parity nowadays once the playoffs start it's a crapshoot where almost every team has a realistic chance.

vocks10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
I think the Oilers are going to be a lot better this year...not playoffs better, but better nonetheless. I do not see us picking top 5 in 2012. Which could be a good thing for development, or a bad thing regarding picks. There sure is allot of hype for some of these Russians on here.
Are they still a lot better if they trade Hemsky for prospects and picks?

If they dont add anyone significant to the blueline?

If they dont find someone better than Khabibulin as a starter?

You dont want to be stuck in a perpetual rebuild but I think that tends to happen at least as often because teams try to rush out of it before they get the talent as it does because players get disillusioned by the constant losing. Our young guys are all stuck here until they become free agents, take the time and do it right so when we do rebound we are a contender not just a false blip of one or two seasons almost making the playoffs.

I still see serious problems with our lineup. No dependable top players on the blueline, Whitney might be ok but his injuries are horrible. No depth down the middle, Gagner may develop but 2nd line looks to be his top end and after that we're stuck with injury prone overpaid 3rd line Horcoff. Goaltending is still a question mark as is depth.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 01:37 PM
Mav3rick07
Hall-Hopkins-Yakupov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Are they still a lot better if they trade Hemsky for prospects and picks?

If they dont add anyone significant to the blueline?

If they dont find someone better than Khabibulin as a starter?
1) If we trade Hemsky for prospects and/or picks, we'll have close to 17 million in free cap space. We could easily afford to replace Hemsky with a more productive and healthy forward.

2) Once again, we currently have 13.6 Million (with Hemsky) to shop around with. There are plenty of defenseman on the market, such as Kevin Bieksa, Scott Hannan, Erik Brewer, Christrian Ehrhoff, Steve Staios and the list goes on. Not to mention, considering all of our young talent, players will actually want to come play in Edmonton now.

3) Devin Dubnyk. Khabibulin is healthy(for now at least) and he should be putting up better numbers, now that we'll have a better line-up and more importantly, a better D in front of him. Worst case, go with Dubnyk. Considering how impressive he looked last season, I'd say I'm content with our goaltending situation.

Old
06-07-2011, 01:51 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Not to mention, considering all of our young talent, players will actually want to come play in Edmonton now.
Your comments pretty much boil down to this. I dont believe it for a second. Hasnt helped other teams like the Islanders except for getting washed up guys to act as mentors.

We're either overpaying and/or getting guys who dont really care about winning at this point. The majority of top end guys that you need to make this team that much better will have better options on where they sign. Most notably on defence, there's no top end guys available just mid pairing guys that may or may not be consistent or good enough to have much of an impact.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote