HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Buffalo or STL roster? (they're similar)

View Poll Results: Buffalo or STL roster?
Buffalo Sabres 47 35.88%
St. Louis Blues 84 64.12%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
This is ridiculous. Both teams are young and have good prospects coming up. Myers and Pieterangelo are a wash. Vanek is probably the best forward on either team, though I love Backes. Miller is better than Halak, though Halak is no slouch.

The difference? The Sabres have been successful. With most of the age/talent comparisons being similar, I can't believe more people aren't going with the team that's made the playoffs the past two years. The Blues have the name prospects, but the age difference isn't that big and they haven't done anything. This baffles me.
Well to be fair, the Blues had goaltending issues until they got Halak, and most of their core just finished their third year in the league. They have more room to grow, while most of Buffalo's players are in their prime. We're talking about who's roster would you take now, not who's roster would you take based on previous accomplishments.

Old
06-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Boyesfan

You know I never like comparing teams that are in different conferences. The Buffalo would get knocked around all day and night if they were in the west. I would pick the Blues if the team had to play in the West and if they had to play in the East then I would consider picking the Buffalo. I also wonder how Miller would do in the west if he had to worry about players crashing the net on him 30 times a game. Halak had problems with that this year and I think he will be much better next year. But both of the teams are good and young where Buffalo seems built more for speed because they are in the east where the Blues are built more for the tough hitting of the west. I just don't think that Buffalo is tough enough to play against the teams in the west and would get run over all day.

And as far as this Backes vs Roy thing. They are two completely different types of players, a better comparison would have been Roy vs McDonald both little guys who are great offensively and buzz around the ice at 100mph. Which I would take Roy mainly because he is younger but then again I am not a complete expert on Roy since I have watched him a little but no where near as much as you Buffalo guys have.

And for the Piet vs Myers I am going to say we can call that one a wash. Piet would have had a good chance to win the Calder but that stupid rule wouldn't let him. Piet did take longer to develop than Myers but when we drafted him everyone said he would but it also said that when it is all said and done he has a good chance of being the best defenseman from that draft. And just like Roy I have watched a little bit of Myers but know where near as much as you guys have.

So I say instead of fighting over which team is better we should just watch these two teams develop and maybe we can argue more when we play for the Stanley cup

Old
06-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Thallis
We suck again!

Send a message via MSN to Thallis
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
Yikes.

Despite being drafted in the same year, Myers not only made the NHL before Pietrangelo, but also had a better rookie season. He won Rookie of the Year at 19 and finished this season strong despite a weak first half.

Backes has broken 50 points ONCE in his career, Roy has four +60 point seasons in a row and was on pace to make it five before he was injured.
Backes has broken 50 twice, was 2 points away on a down year and has only played 4 complete seasons in the NHL. That's completely ignoring the fact that he should have been at least a Selke nominee this year. If Pietrangelo was eligible for the rookie of the year, he'd be in the discussion for it. Being given time to develop does not make you a worse player.

Old
06-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

The Sabres have made the playoffs the last couple of years because there's a pretty noticeable division between the playoff teams and the non-playoff teams in the East, unlike in the West.

The last couple of years, the only teams from the West which really had no chance at the playoffs when the season started was the Oilers & Blue Jackets...and the Blue Jackets managed to stay in the race through 2/3 of the season.

Stick the Blues in the East and the Sabres in the West, and things probably change...we'd be talking about the Blues making the post-season and the Sabres missing. Arguing recent playoff appearances isn't a very thoughtful analysis when trying to differentiate these teams.

Old
06-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth JD View Post
The Sabres have made the playoffs the last couple of years because there's a pretty noticeable division between the playoff teams and the non-playoff teams in the East, unlike in the West.

The last couple of years, the only teams from the West which really had no chance at the playoffs when the season started was the Oilers & Blue Jackets...and the Blue Jackets managed to stay in the race through 2/3 of the season.

Stick the Blues in the East and the Sabres in the West, and things probably change...we'd be talking about the Blues making the post-season and the Sabres missing. Arguing recent playoff appearances isn't a very thoughtful analysis when trying to differentiate these teams.

Yeah, switch conferences and results would be different, hey bud you realize Sabres had a winning record against the West

Blues haven't won a playoff game since the lockout, Sabres are far and away better. Blues are overrated because they have a bunch of big name prospects and obviously since were on HF they're some god like team.

Miller>>>Halak, not just Miller>Halak.

Old
06-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff

St. Louis will be scary good pretty soon. Poll said "near future". Blues for me.

Old
06-07-2011, 02:37 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post

Yeah, switch conferences and results would be different, hey bud you realize Sabres had a winning record against the West

Blues haven't won a playoff game since the lockout, Sabres are far and away better. Blues are overrated because they have a bunch of big name prospects and obviously since were on HF they're some god like team.

Miller>>>Halak, not just Miller>Halak.
The Blues were 11-4-3 against the East (including a 3-0 shutout victory in Buffalo), the Sabres were 10-5-3 against the West...but hey, continue to sound like an ignoramus all you want.

Old
06-07-2011, 02:38 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Vanek is probably the best forward on either team, though I love Backes.
Chris Stewart says hello...

Old
06-07-2011, 03:27 PM
STain

I like how some people are trying to compare Backes and Roy. Buffalo has no one to compare Backes to, and the same could probably be said for Stewart.

Anyways while being a Sabres fan it's still hard not to like the Blues roster, especially their forwards.

Old
06-07-2011, 03:37 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
WOW. I just stopped reading after people said:

Myers > Pietrangelo.

Wow..let me tell you Steve Mason won the Calder, so did Raycroft, and the best player of them all in this league right now Mr. Scott Gomez.

Winning the Calder =/= being better than another player. Pietrangelo is going to be mentioned with guys like Doughty, Weber, Keith very soon. I'd be surprised if he didn't make Canada's Olympic team if the NHL allows them to go in 2014.

Old
06-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I don't get the acrimony in the thread, personally.

06-07-2011, 04:56 PM
The Grouch
Enraged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I don't get the acrimony in the thread, personally.

I agree! Things were pretty civil until post #11(that poster has been known to be subjectively outspoken). I can't understand why Buffalo fans have taken such strong offense to the results of this poll?

Old
06-07-2011, 05:42 PM
ct2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grouch View Post
I agree! Things were pretty civil until post #11(that poster has been known to be subjectively outspoken). I can't understand why Buffalo fans have taken such strong offense to the results of this poll?
To be fair, certain Blues fans have been making some stu... controversal statements/arguments, too. There is a distinct difference between stating an opinion and presenting that said opinion as fact (fans of both fanbases have been guilty of that).

In the end, it doesn't really matter, if *insert random name* is underrated or overrated, what matters is what happens on the ice.

Old
06-07-2011, 05:59 PM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post

Myers > Pietrangelo.

Wow..let me tell you Steve Mason won the Calder, so did Raycroft, and the best player of them all in this league right now Mr. Scott Gomez.

Winning the Calder =/= being better than another player. Pietrangelo is going to be mentioned with guys like Doughty, Weber, Keith very soon. I'd be surprised if he didn't make Canada's Olympic team if the NHL allows them to go in 2014.
Scott Gomez is better than Ovechkin and Malkin?

Old
06-07-2011, 06:38 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ellis Problems View Post
Ok, can anyone spell out why specifically Pietrangelo is better than Myers? Like an in-depth analysis? I suppose it's not an objective question but the burden of proof should really fall on those who are propping up a rookie against a sophomore who had a better rookie season.
Still waiting.

"OMG a Calder doesn't mean anything" doesn't make an argument when the only year Pietrangelo's played is a rookie year and Myers' was better.

Old
06-07-2011, 06:55 PM
State of Hockey

Wake me up when the St. Louis roster/prospects actually start delivering on their hype.

I think I'll be a sleeping for a while yet. Time to face the facts. St. Louis' homegrown young players simply aren't that great.

Old
06-07-2011, 07:00 PM
SirPaste

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
Blues better up front?Oh I guess the Sabres outscoring them the last 6 seasons means nothing.Sabres prospects are of course underrated on HF,not like we don't have 3 straight AHL ROTY's... and all of our top forwards are 29 and under, but of course HF votes for the prospects with big names who have really done nothing.

Sabres, in every aspect.

Compare the top player at each position for the teams.

Myers>Pietrangelo
Miller>>>Halak
Vanek OR ROY>oshie
hmmm how about

Myers<Petro
Miller>>>Halak
Vanek OR ROY<Stewart

Old
06-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by STain View Post
I like how some people are trying to compare Backes and Roy. Buffalo has no one to compare Backes to, and the same could probably be said for Stewart.

Anyways while being a Sabres fan it's still hard not to like the Blues roster, especially their forwards.

Their D is nothing to sneeze at either. Petro, Shatty, Polak, Jackman and rookies Cole and Nikitin. Lot's of talent there.

Old
06-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ellis Problems View Post
Still waiting.

"OMG a Calder doesn't mean anything" doesn't make an argument when the only year Pietrangelo's played is a rookie year and Myers' was better.
Only a couple people said Pietrangelo was better than Myers. Like I said, the two are a wash, Myers had a good rookie season and won the Calder. Pietrangelo also had a good rookie season, but is unfortunately not eligible for the Calder. Also, how do you justify Myers rookie season was better than Pietrangelo's? Points aren't the only indicator, and unless you've seen both players play alot (which I doubt you have), you're not really in a position to claim Myers had a better rookie season. Barret Jackman won the Calder one year, and he didn't exactly light up the league with points. Neither of us can fully claim that our player is better, considering the two dman are still early in their careers. So I'm sticking with the fact that the two are a wash, feel free to disagree with me if you want.

Old
06-07-2011, 10:17 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

I love Chris Stewart, but you haven't watched much of Thomas Vanek if you think Stewart is the better player.

Old
06-07-2011, 11:07 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
I love Chris Stewart, but you haven't watched much of Thomas Vanek if you think Stewart is the better player.
Quite a hypocritical statement. Chris Stewart is a beast.

Old
06-07-2011, 11:15 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
Quite a hypocritical statement. Chris Stewart is a beast.
Again, I love Chris Stewart. One of my favorite players.

If Vanek isn't on the Sabres, they miss the playoffs.

With Stewart, the Blues...missed the playoffs. TV is a borderline superstar and can carry an offense. Stewie cant.

Old
06-07-2011, 11:41 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Again, I love Chris Stewart. One of my favorite players.

If Vanek isn't on the Sabres, they miss the playoffs.

With Stewart, the Blues...missed the playoffs. TV is a borderline superstar and can carry an offense. Stewie cant.
If Doan isn't on the Coyotes they probably miss the playoffs too, is he a borderline superstar?

Also what a ridiculous statement. Stewart played 25 games for the blues and you seem to ignore the fact that they got a guy on their team that won the vezina last year.

Old
06-07-2011, 11:50 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
If Doan isn't on the Coyotes they probably miss the playoffs too, is he a borderline superstar?

Also what a ridiculous statement. Stewart played 25 games for the blues and you seem to ignore the fact that they got a guy on their team that won the vezina last year.
...who had a concussion for the stretch run in the regular season. And Roy was out.

Once again...I LOVE CHRIS STEWART. But he is not in the same class as Thomas Vanek.

Old
06-08-2011, 01:13 AM
journeyman79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post

Myers > Pietrangelo.

No need to be dramatic bringing up Mason and Raycroft, when us Blues fans have a Calder winning defenseman right here in our own backyard-Barrett Jackman!

so Jackman won the Calder and Pie didn't.

I guess that means Jackman > Pie

Closed Thread