Jyri Marttinen to Flames?

Closed Thread

Old
08-23-2005, 03:14 AM
miklu

vCash: 500
Jyri Marttinen to Flames?

Todays IS Veikkaaja writes:

"Myös Calgary Flamesin varaaman puolustaja Jyri Marttisen,22, siirtyminen Pohjois-Amerikkaan on mahdollista"

Translates to "Jyri Marttinen,22, drafted by Calgary Flames is also possible to move to North America"

IS Veikkaaja is a pretty realiable source. Is there a contract offer or where have these rumours started?

The loss of Jyri would be a crucial strike to JYP as we have already lost Jarkko Immonen to NY Rangers today.

Old
08-23-2005, 04:56 AM
Padawan
Former *********

Quote:
Originally Posted by miklu
IS Veikkaaja is a pretty realiable source. Is there a contract offer or where have these rumours started?

The loss of Jyri would be a crucial strike to JYP as we have already lost Jarkko Immonen to NY Rangers today.
IS Veikkaaja is generally 50% correct when releasing rumors. Which means it may or may not happen. I would say it's as realiable source. Losing Marttinen to the Flames would be huge blow for JYP. Only time will tell if this is true or not and time is running short fast.

Old
08-23-2005, 07:12 AM
TK79

If the flames sign him, it's purely for AHL depth.

Old
08-23-2005, 12:19 PM
kruezer

Hmmm, interesting thanks for the update, I think having Jyri in North America would be great, the Flames could still use another defenseman or two down in Omaha I think.

While you Finnish cats are here though, whats the word on Tomi Maki? Is he coming over?

Old
08-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Padawan
Former *********

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
While you Finnish cats are here though, whats the word on Tomi Maki? Is he coming over?
Yup. He signed a contract with the Flames.

Old
08-23-2005, 04:18 PM
kruezer

Awesome, I'm really interested to see what the Europeans in the system can do in NA, it would be great if one or two could become useful NHLers.

Old
08-23-2005, 06:15 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
Awesome, I'm really interested to see what the Europeans in the system can do in NA, it would be great if one or two could become useful NHLers.
Tom Maki could definitly do that -- his style of play fits right in with this group. Depending on how McCarty players healthwise and injuries etc he might see time this season.

Martinnen is a Ference type, and is a long shot but it is nice to have another Euro over.

Old
08-24-2005, 01:35 AM
SergeiK

This mornings Keskisuomalainen, local paper in Jyvaskyla, Marttinen`s agent Juuso Pulliainen admited that "there have been some interest and discussions", but according to Pulliainen "it hasn`t led anywhere yet". Pulliainen stated that "there`s still the Wednesday".

I don`t see how Marttinen could benefit Calgary. Marttinen is smallish, defensive d-man with lots of grit - "sisu" if you will. I`ll hate to lose him, but with the money Calgary is required to pay JYP, the Finnish team can hire much more higher AHL-talent to it`s blueline. I suspect Marttinen would spent the whole season in AHL and then JYP would also receive the imposed fine ($150 000) from Flames if Marttinen don`t appear at least 30 games in NHL.

If Marttinen is just for AHL depht and is just long shot, then Calgary is willing pay for him awful lot

Closed Thread