HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Let's improve the Habs board...

Old
06-07-2011, 04:13 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

vCash: 500
Let's improve the Habs board...

Reading the hilarious ATL Fan Dispersal Draft, I had a thought: We should strive be make this board at once equally entertaining, informative and stimulating because the fact is, most of us spend way too much time here ... we might as well make it as good as possible.

I want to be a better poster (so my draft position goes up )

We have the biggest fanbase, which in turn means we're the most visible on HFBoards in general, which is both good and bad. Does anybody have any ideas on how we can make our forum, and our posters/threads better?

I have some ideas:

a) Less bipolarism. If you don't like coaching [I don't] or management [I do], constantly ragging on them after losses/trades/other teams' trades does not add anything to any discussion. Constantly bringing up the fact that we lost Dominic Moore or traded Halak for Eller or anything else doesn't bring a fresh perspective and only goes to bring out more extreme arguments. I for one am exhausted of the Kostitsyn draft choice debate.

b) GDTs are hilarious, I participated in like 10 this year and had a great time. Give it a shot.

c) Trolling Bruins' fans has got to end. Now that the entire message board knows how silly they are, I think taking the higher road is applicable here.

d) I had a habit of hating certain players no matter what, Roman Hamrlik and Jaroslav Spacek were my spacegoats. The Halak/Price wars brought out a lot of stupid arguments and hatred. I'm not saying we should be fans of every player blindly, but constantly finding excuses to rag on them doesn't contribute anything and brings about more ridiculous counter-arguments from fans of that player. Seeing someone call Gomez a worthless hack, and someone else going to lengths to defend him is like watching two retards trying to hump a doorknob.

f) More photoshop contests, more fan meetings, etc. We could have a lot to do with all the funny, interesting minds that frequent this forum.

tl;dr Let's contribute better, and have more fun here.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Sandvich
VERY NICE

I am leaving this will improve the board by 400%

Sandvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 04:17 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Or just roll with it and be cool or Subban will be a sad, sad boy

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 04:17 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
I would totally be on board for this.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Very honorable intention but for A, C and D, it's like world peace, it never gonna materialize.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 04:21 PM
BreakTheWallsDown
HFBoards Prospect

Send a message via AIM to BreakTheWallsDown Send a message via MSN to BreakTheWallsDown
I don't understand what is being said on (b). Do you guys not do GDT's or something?

BreakTheWallsDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

To be honest, I don't think the Habs board is the problem. I would like to see more joke threads, but thats neither here nor there. I think the reason we're hated are the constantly awful trade proposals on the Trade boards and the voting en-masse in the polls section for the Canadiens.

Trolls are inevitable for this board, but it would be nice if we cut back on the terrible trade proposals.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakTheWallsDown View Post
I don't understand what is being said on (b). Do you guys not do GDT's or something?
We do, I think the OP just wants more people to participate.

This is a honourable thread, but there will always be conflict and trolling as long as the internet exists. I'm also skeptic of what can be done to stop to bipolarism round these parts. People have very deep emotional attachments to this team and react accordingly when stuff happens; some better than others.

I'm all for more Photoshop threads and organizing meetings to watch games and what not, but it's unrealistic to think this board can be united and everybody can be friends.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 04:26 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakTheWallsDown View Post
No, we do have GDT's. They're actually pretty good. Especially when MoenInGlory or HarryI do them. I actually don't get that point. The GDT's generally go for at least 20 pages. We also have pre-game and post-game threads.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 04:30 PM
ClasslessGuy

more thread about french speaking players...

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 04:31 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
it would be nice if we cut back on the terrible trade proposals.
YES!

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 04:36 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleneck Plek View Post
This is a honourable thread, but there will always be conflict and trolling as long as the internet exists. I'm also skeptic of what can be done to stop to bipolarism round these parts. People have very deep emotional attachments to this team and react accordingly when stuff happens; some better than others.
It will always be this way if you just sit back and accept it the way it is. Change can occur.

In PGT's, I've started to notice more and more rational posters whereas a year ago, I don't remember those people. But I've made a conscious effort to try be more level headed and I've seen other people do the same.

There is nothing wrong with trying to improve positive change imo. Its better than just sitting back and say, oh well there are trolls, just accept it. Why not promote what you want?

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 04:36 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Quote:
No, we do have GDT's. They're actually pretty good. Especially when MoenInGlory or HarryI do them. I actually don't get that point. The GDT's generally go for at least 20 pages. We also have pre-game and post-game threads.
Our GDTs are the ( . )( . )'s... I'm a GDT powerhouse.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 04:38 PM
LyleOdelein

I think that it's fair to expect bipolar comments. I tend to get on rants myself. I pretty much cut any hardcore fan slack for any comments they make about their team from the time a game begins until they wake up the next morning. I try to stay as reasonable as possible, but I know that I've said and posted some ridiculously stupid things in the heat of the moment while the Habs were playing.

I actually kind of enjoy the fact that some posters faithfully support certain players. I enjoyed when Huet was in net and someone would cut him up, waiting for his namesake poster to come in and throw a fit, or even Swimmer77 rushing to Hamr's defence at every opportunity. Sure, you end up seeing the same arguments go around in circles after awhile, but it beats talking about line combos even more than we do.

I do share the trolling sentiment. It's a little disappointing that fans on both sides of the Habs/B's rivalry are always at each others' necks on the main board. I've managed to have a few good back and forths with B's fans on here and really think that it'd be a lot more productive if we upped the discourse level a bit.

I have a suggestion too. Can we get free stuff for posting? Is it really too much to ask for the odd poutine, beer or car giveaway on here?

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 04:39 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Am I the only one concerned about a lack of e)?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 04:53 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Let's not and say we did!

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 04:54 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

I'm aboard!

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Russian Warrior
SWAG

moar trollslololol

Russian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

Quote:
To be honest, I don't think the Habs board is the problem. I would like to see more joke threads, but thats neither here nor there. I think the reason we're hated are the constantly awful trade proposals on the Trade boards and the voting en-masse in the polls section for the Canadiens.

Trolls are inevitable for this board, but it would be nice if we cut back on the terrible trade proposals.
This!!

I'm sorry but I need to call out some people. Math Radio... Relax! Almost every trade proposal is made by him, and they are ALL bad! Maybe posting a trade proposal thread in the habs forum as a stickey or something would be nice so that we can get other ppl's perspectives, because its ridiculous.

Habs Hotel, you're not as bad but still, quality over quantity! Think about it through both teams perspectives before posting. There are more guys, but I can't think of em now.

In regards to OP

While I don't think the bipolarism will ever end, we can do something about more funny threads. There was the "everywhere Cocaine" thing which for a while was just hilarious until the mods ruined the party . I miss those threads. We got so many great Photoshoppers in this forum alone, we should use em!

Considering it was the first ever fan draft, I say it was successful... although slow. But I loved the idea. More Ideas like this would be welcomed. Anybody realize the best time to get on hf boards is when we are doing something as a community (ie. Playoff or season avatars and stuff like that). We could create some user name bet threads, like Whiskey Seven for one... I would love to see him with an IheartHamrlik username, or JimCareyPrice with earl the Price fan. Stuff like that to lighten the mood and make the community tighter.

Dirty Danglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 04:59 PM
Russian Warrior
SWAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
This!!

I'm sorry but I need to call out some people. Math Radio... Relax! Almost every trade proposal is made by him, and they are ALL bad! Maybe posting a trade proposal thread in the habs forum as a stickey or something would be nice so that we can get other ppl's perspectives, because its ridiculous.

Habs Hotel, you're not as bad but still, quality over quantity! Think about it through both teams perspectives before posting. There are more guys, but I can't think of em now.

In regards to OP

While I don't think the bipolarism will ever end, we can do something about more funny threads. There was the "everywhere Cocaine" thing which for a while was just hilarious until the mods ruined the party . I miss those threads. We got so many great Photoshoppers in this forum alone, we should use em!

Considering it was the first ever fan draft, I say it was successful... although slow. But I loved the idea. More Ideas like this would be welcomed. Anybody realize the best time to get on hf boards is when we are doing something as a community (ie. Playoff or season avatars and stuff like that). We could create some user name bet threads, like Whiskey Seven for one... I would love to see him with an IheartHamrlik username, or JimCareyPrice with earl the Price fan. Stuff like that to lighten the mood and make the community tighter.
SmokeMonster is way better

Russian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 05:00 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Am I the only one concerned about a lack of e)?
Free E for everyone!

My original point for e) was to be less rude/aggressive when arguing. It's just common courtesy because we're all fans of the same team.

But then I decided that it would be redundant because that should be common knowledge...

I argue with natey2k4 on basically everything; he loves his underdogs/I think his underdogs are terrible hockey players but we don't insult EACH OTHER and we don't take the discourse anywhere other than what happens on-ice. Swimmer77's is another story, but this isn't to call out certain posters because we're all guilty of being extreme at one point or another.

We're all Habs fans, lets make this place less chaotic and more enjoyable. Let's be better posters.

caveat: The Leafs will be good soon, and therefore a viable rival. That means we have pretty intense hf-rivalries with the Bruins, Leafs, Flyers and the other Atlantic division teams who insist on calling the Habs divers.

Don't be *rude* be smart and always point out their hypocrisy. I'm loving this SCF because the Bruins are just layers of whine and hypocrisy on top of each other and all *I* have to do as a rival fan is multi-quote the same poster between the MaxPac and Horton injuries. The poster looks like an idiot, I don't have to insult him personally or wish harm upon anyone and his fanbase gets slightly more discredited. Win-Win-Win.

Every offseason, without fail, Leafs fans over-pump their squad. All we have to do is bookmark some really extreme posts and quote/laugh at them when the time is right.

The problem is when Habs fans always complain about the refs, or league management or discipline. It makes us look stupid, and actually IS stupid. Quit whining so much and add to the discourse, otherwise you sound like a Bruins fan.

Old
06-07-2011, 05:05 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Sheen View Post
moar trollslololol
Troll, but troll efficiently and not in your own backyard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
We could create some user name bet threads, like Whiskey Seven for one... I would love to see him with an IheartHamrlik username, or JimCareyPrice with earl the Price fan. Stuff like that to lighten the mood and make the community tighter.
I'd rather lose my pinky than share alleigance with that overpaid, non-physical, no-shot, slow-as-hell, no-leadership bum. WHAT WAS GAINEY THINKING?!

Wait a second...

Old
06-07-2011, 05:05 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
It will always be this way if you just sit back and accept it the way it is. Change can occur.

In PGT's, I've started to notice more and more rational posters whereas a year ago, I don't remember those people. But I've made a conscious effort to try be more level headed and I've seen other people do the same.

There is nothing wrong with trying to improve positive change imo. Its better than just sitting back and say, oh well there are trolls, just accept it. Why not promote what you want?
I whole-heartedly agree with you. However, the fanbase's bipolarism extends way beyond this board and there's little we can do about it. Sure, efforts can and need to be made to better things around here, but realistically, I doubt much will change. The core posters of this board are excellent posters and while a few are a bit bipolar, they usually know better than to go fubar. We cannot control everybody, bipolarism will happen. I'm all for individual efforts to tone it down but honestly, there's little we can do as a board.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 05:07 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Free E for everyone!

My original point for e) was to be less rude/aggressive when arguing. It's just common courtesy because we're all fans of the same team.

But then I decided that it would be redundant because that should be common knowledge...

I argue with natey2k4 on basically everything; he loves his underdogs/I think his underdogs are terrible hockey players but we don't insult EACH OTHER and we don't take the discourse anywhere other than what happens on-ice. Swimmer77's is another story, but this isn't to call out certain posters because we're all guilty of being extreme at one point or another.

We're all Habs fans, lets make this place less chaotic and more enjoyable. Let's be better posters.

caveat: The Leafs will be good soon, and therefore a viable rival. That means we have pretty intense hf-rivalries with the Bruins, Leafs, Flyers and the other Atlantic division teams who insist on calling the Habs divers.

Don't be *rude* be smart and always point out their hypocrisy. I'm loving this SCF because the Bruins are just layers of whine and hypocrisy on top of each other and all *I* have to do as a rival fan is multi-quote the same poster between the MaxPac and Horton injuries. The poster looks like an idiot, I don't have to insult him personally or wish harm upon anyone and his fanbase gets slightly more discredited. Win-Win-Win.

Every offseason, without fail, Leafs fans over-pump their squad. All we have to do is bookmark some really extreme posts and quote/laugh at them when the time is right.

The problem is when Habs fans always complain about the refs, or league management or discipline. It makes us look stupid, and actually IS stupid. Quit whining so much and add to the discourse, otherwise you sound like a Bruins fan.
I'm on board with cleaning up the boards content, mine included. We all have room for improvement.

I just don't agree much with your last point, I mean I'm not going to argue a bunch of us (myself included) at times complain about refs. I just don't think we are the only fanbase guilty of it, we are by far the largest community so it just seems more pronounced, especially so in our mammoth GDT's which can reach 700ish posts, and often exceed 1000 in games against rivals.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

More Gomez !

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote